• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the conclusion to that story enough that I forgot how much I hate the middle parts of it. The quest design for that area was definitely pretty bad.

Yeah the conclusion was pretty great but FUCK those little caves and the golems and all that shit. The quest design was especially bad and really stands out because of how good the rest of the game is.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Second Soul of the Creator group went much better than the first and we got it after a few tries. I can see the gradual evolution of these fights, this being endgame Heavanswards content makes it still somewhat challenging and with more punishing mechanics.

I thought I was gonna get the black cat pet though as a reward for sure though.... but maybe that's a random drop rather than a quest reward.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Second Soul of the Creator group went much better than the first and we got it after a few tries. I can see the gradual evolution of these fights, this being endgame Heavanswards content makes it still somewhat challenging and with more punishing mechanics.

I thought I was gonna get the black cat pet though as a reward for sure though.... but maybe that's a random drop rather than a quest reward.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Finished Heavensward 3.0 stuff. Overall so much better than ARR.

I really enjoyed not being treated like an errand boy for the Scions and Alph. Finally getting all the respect I deserved and earned. The story and relationships with the dragons was sooo good. Shit actually felt like a journey. That heavensward dungeon was simply amazing.

I felt a bit let down with Mids' involvement. Thought he would be more involved with the Nidhogg stuff. I was especially let down with the Uldah story and how quickly things went back to the status quo. Like wtf? You tried to kill us, frame us and then it was all like let's move on? Fuck off with that.

So while working on the 3.X stuff before beginning Stormblood(hopefully it is not as long as the post ARR stuff) what should I focus on doing before beginning Stormblood?
The Final Scenes in ARR though i felt were so well worth the slog it put you through i was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I am still not far in heavensward myself i have only finished the quest where you come across the first primal in a cutscene,.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My partner and I jumped into FFXIV this week, prior to this we played The Secret World (pre-reboot) and Guild Wars 2 (completed Heart of Thorns before dropping it). After not playing anything for a few years, it's nice to be back in an MMO.

Our greatest drive in MMOs is to create impeccably fashionable characters. I started as a Miqo'te woman, so my first true quest has been to find a pair of pants.

If anyone has a spare Heavensward key, I'd appreciate the ability to play as Au Ra. Seems like that's where a lot of the killer fashion is.

So far we've just been running around our starting city, is there a point where the game becomes a little more co-op-y? We used to spend hours just exploring the world in Guild Wars 2, taking on random boss fights and events (sometimes local, sometimes map-wide). It seems like in FFXIV, one of us is always in the middle of some fetch quest, so it's a little hard to run side-by-side.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
My partner and I jumped into FFXIV this week, prior to this we played The Secret World (pre-reboot) and Guild Wars 2 (completed Heart of Thorns before dropping it). After not playing anything for a few years, it's nice to be back in an MMO.

Our greatest drive in MMOs is to create impeccably fashionable characters. I started as a Miqo'te woman, so my first true quest has been to find a pair of pants.

If anyone has a spare Heavensward key, I'd appreciate the ability to play as Au Ra. Seems like that's where a lot of the killer fashion is.

So far we've just been running around our starting city, is there a point where the game becomes a little more co-op-y? We used to spend hours just exploring the world in Guild Wars 2, taking on random boss fights and events (sometimes local, sometimes map-wide). It seems like in FFXIV, one of us is always in the middle of some fetch quest, so it's a little hard to run side-by-side.
The main story questline is mostly single player stuff until you hit dungeons/trials. There are a lot of single-player scenarios (duties), etc. There's content for multiple players, it's just generally not quests. Grouping up will let you kill stuff faster for those quests though.

You might find these links useful:
ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com

Eorzea Collection | FFXIV Glamour Catalogue

Eorzea Collection is where you can share your personal glamours and browse through an extensive collection of looks for your Final Fantasy XIV character.
xivstyle.com

xivstyle.com

The Complete FFXIV Armor Gallery
https://www.ffxivcollection.com/ (in Japanese so you'll need to use browser translate)
https://www.garlandtools.org/db/ (searchable item database that has 3D models for most pieces of equipment)

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA

If you decide to subscribe do recruit a friend with somebody which will net you a pair plain, black long pants (I think they are Cloud's pants from FFVII). As a person who wants pants on their female characters believe me, the struggle is real. You can glam them onto most anything cause they are black too, so that's nice.

I guess it's off to the saucer to get a black cat!

So, unrelated question: how hard is it to set up a DPS meter? I maybe jumping down a rabbit hole that I may never emerge from, but I'm starting to get interested in measuring my performance, just to make sure I'm contributing now that content is getting a bit harder.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If you decide to subscribe do recruit a friend with somebody which will net you a pair plain, black long pants (I think they are Cloud's pants from FFVII). As a person who wants pants on their female characters believe me, the struggle is real. You can glam them onto most anything cause they are black too, so that's nice.

Already subscribed, we started with the trial but you can't party up without at least one person on a subscription. So I subscribed so at least we can see each other on the map.

Looks like the pants are a 60-day veteran reward. I'm going to be so cold in the meantime.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017

FWIW, you get a free fantasia upon completing the base storyline, so you can always fantasia to an Au'ra later if you decide to stick with the game.

But yeah, the game is largely solo until it asks you to do a dungeon, and your stories will start to converge at the level 15 point as that's when the starting city storylines end and it merges into the greater plot of the game, and assuming you're only playing when you both can at the same time your progress should stay about the same so that you can queue for dungeons and stuff together and see each other running around in the world since you'll be around the same points in the story.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

I guess it's off to the saucer to get a black cat!

So, unrelated question: how hard is it to set up a DPS meter? I maybe jumping down a rabbit hole that I may never emerge from, but I'm starting to get interested in measuring my performance, just to make sure I'm contributing now that content is getting a bit harder.

Or text version:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I just realized eScape (Omega's theme) is basically the Azys Lla/Allagan theme with lyrics.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So after talking this morning and learning from ya (I'm Cheshire in game), I kind of spent my entire day off in front of a few plots. I finally just got one now, lol
Congrats! I'm glad I could help you out and that your time investment paid off. Did you manage to grab one of the many Mist plots that went up today? I saw another plot in my ward go up before I got off, didn't see if you were one of the four or so people camping that one

First thing you should do is get a miniture aetheryte so you can teleport directly to your plot, it costs like 14k seals but I think they were going for like 30k gil on MB on Ultros, if I remember correctly (at least they were when I checked directly after buying my plot this morning)

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! I'm glad I could help you out and that your time investment paid off. Did you manage to grab one of the many Mist plots that went up today? I saw another plot in my ward go up before I got off, didn't see if you were one of the four or so people camping that one

First thing you should do is get a miniture aetheryte so you can teleport directly to your plot, it costs like 14k seals but I think they were going for like 30k gil on MB on Ultros, if I remember correctly (at least they were when I checked directly after buying my plot this morning)
Yeah, I got one on a 58 plot that overlooks a lot of the area. No one else was there but me, lol
I specifically started camping it, because it's in a subdivision, and I noticed a few available plots in the main divisions so I thought "If people see those, they may not notice this one" and it paid off!

Congrats, got mine a few weeks ago. Now the hard part begins (decorating it) ;)
Oh I know @_@
I'm gonna have to look at others' estates to get ideas, lol
Right now I'm just unloading all the furniture I've been hoarding into my storage now.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yeah, I got one on a 58 plot that overlooks a lot of the area. No one else was there but me, lol
I specifically started camping it, because it's in a subdivision, and I noticed a few available plots in the main divisions so I thought "If people see those, they may not notice this one" and it paid off!
Yeah, there's usually less traffic in subdivisions, at least up to a point (i.e. if there's only one or two plots on a server, people are gonna be there regardless of division). I think the fact that so many plots went up today (there were specifically three plots in Mist alone at the time I bought mine) really means that people are spread out which greatly benefited both of us. The theory definitely holds weight though, considering I saw those four people camping the plot in my main division at probably the exact same time you bought your plot uncontested

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's usually less traffic in subdivisions, at least up to a point (i.e. if there's only one or two plots on a server, people are gonna be there regardless of division). I think the fact that so many plots went up today (there were specifically three plots in Mist alone at the time I bought mine) really means that people are spread out which greatly benefited both of us. The theory definitely holds weight though, considering I saw those four people camping the plot in my main division at probably the exact same time you bought your plot uncontested
I also think the one the four people were camping in your division was probably the one I was originally camping for about four hours, until others started showing up, and I decided to peace out (and then found the one I eventually got which was about five more hours of camping).

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
having vietnam flashbacks to the morning shirogane housing first opened and i was running the game off an ssd at 800x600 to minimize load times so i could get my desired plot, which i totally did and have held ever since

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I got a beach front house in Shirogane back in the spring. It's pretty much the only thing keeping me on Ultros. If I ever leave and go anywhere else, I'll probably never get that plot again.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! All set up now. I'll probably only use to occasionally check to see if I'm keeping up, I don't want it running all the time.

There are totally jumping puzzles in Stormblood, aren't there? I noticed a lookout on top of a lampshade in town.
Yeah, there's the Kugane Tower jump puzzle, which you do first, then you can try to make the lamp post jump.

Ashrak

Maybe the Alexander raid and the Warring Triad trials? They are good but none of the side content in Heavensward are hugely story important compared to some of the stuff from ARR. at least in my opinion.

Also enjoy the patches cause they elevated Heavensward so much for me.

Shadow of Mhach (the Heavensward-24 Player-Alliance Raid) gives you alot of Lore about Mhach and the War of the Magi which caused the fifth rejoining if i remember correctly (where the abuse of White and Black Magic created gigantic tsunamis).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

G4TuD8a.png

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Shadow of Mhach (the Heavensward-24 Player-Alliance Raid) gives you alot of Lore about Mhach and the War of the Magi which caused the fifth rejoining if i remember correctly (where the abuse of White and Black Magic created gigantic tsunamis).
eh...the Warring Triad raid has a nod on a certain quest you get after doing all 4 role quests.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm starting to understand why people love this game so much.

I first started playing the game in early 2017, but I didn't finish the story of ARR until a few months ago. I enjoyed the story at large, but all of the filler caused me to drop off at various points due to how boring it could get between story beats. And because of those breaks, I would forget events or who characters were, so while I trudged on every now and then, I stopped paying attention to the story after a while.

Once I got to the pre-Heavensward patches though, things really started to pick up. There's barely any filler now, and once I realized that, I started paying attention to the story again, and I'm glad, because I'm really enjoying the game now as a result of it. Sure, the gameplay is fine, but I'm just really enjoying the narrative first and foremost.

Stuff like the refugee storyline in Ul'dah, Lady Iceheart, and now the story surrounding Midgardsormr have really caught my attention.

I'm in the first part of the Before the Fall storyline still, but even though my friends (and the rest of the internet) told me that Heavensward is where the game finally gets good, I'm already enjoying it now. It took me a few years, but I'm glad I've stuck with the game, and if it only gets better from here on, then I'm gonna be glued to the game for quite some time. And that's a really good feeling for me, with how many times I took a break from the game in the past.

... Sorry to spill all that out. Just really glad I'm finally enjoying the game like others do.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm starting to understand why people love this game so much.

I first started playing the game in early 2017, but I didn't finish the story of ARR until a few months ago. I enjoyed the story at large, but all of the filler caused me to drop off at various points due to how boring it could get between story beats. And because of those breaks, I would forget events or who characters were, so while I trudged on every now and then, I stopped paying attention to the story after a while.

Once I got to the pre-Heavensward patches though, things really started to pick up. There's barely any filler now, and once I realized that, I started paying attention to the story again, and I'm glad, because I'm really enjoying the game now as a result of it. Sure, the gameplay is fine, but I'm just really enjoying the narrative first and foremost.

Stuff like the refugee storyline in Ul'dah, Lady Iceheart, and now the story surrounding Midgardsormr have really caught my attention.

I'm in the first part of the Before the Fall storyline still, but even though my friends (and the rest of the internet) told me that Heavensward is where the game finally gets good, I'm already enjoying it now. It took me a few years, but I'm glad I've stuck with the game, and if it only gets better from here on, then I'm gonna be glued to the game for quite some time. And that's a really good feeling for me, with how many times I took a break from the game in the past.

... Sorry to spill all that out. Just really glad I'm finally enjoying the game like others do.

Pretty much how I felt going through but the gameplay starts getting a lot better past this point too.

Kanokare

Nov 10, 2017
What are the chances of a Shadowbringer sale [EDIT- On PC Non-Steam] some time soon? Currently on Dragonsong and don't have Stormblood nor Shadowbringer yet.

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Played around with Reshade/Stormshade and some presets. On my ultrawide 1440 monitor the performance hit was too much for my taste on many of them for gameplay (like a 20% penalty on a 1080Ti), but I am still using it to inject SMAA in place of the ingame FXAA since it looks better to my eyes and still lets me hover around 90+ fps.

Maybe I can make colors pop a bit and get the contrast a bit better without so much of a performance hit if I play around with it, but injecting things like MXAO aren't happening.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The narrative is the game's strongest point. They could cut out everything but the story quests and related plotlines sans relics or hunts or anything else and the whole of it would fill more than a hundred hours just as a standard start to finish rpg with four acts and an overarching plot.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Currently in post heavensward stuff. Gonna start trying out machinist. Started off as archer/got bored when I reached Bard, switched to rogue/ninja for more fast paced up close, enjoyed it, did dark knight for all of heavensward, kinda getting bored now of being tank and the slow pace, really wanna try gunvreaker, but everyone is gunvreaker I feel when I dungeons.

Anyhow, any tips for machinist? Any tips for the level 30 - 60 grind?

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
Palace of the Dead? Roulettes (Alliance, MSQ, Trials, Leveling). Beast tribes while waiting in queues as well.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Computer died on Monday. Currently starting stage 4 of withdrawal. Send help.

In better news, bought my CPU today at Best Buy, probably buying the rest of the parts online tonight for the new one. And if anyone is going to ask, it's 6 years old and the mobo is dead, I substituted everything.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Provided you have them unlocked, I also think Command Missions are a pretty good source of exp. AI is slower than good groups, but there is no queue as DPS and you get to claim all the loot, so that's nice.

Dec 1, 2017
I'm in the first part of the Before the Fall storyline still, but even though my friends (and the rest of the internet) told me that Heavensward is where the game finally gets good, I'm already enjoying it now.
Yeah I was hearing how patch 2.1-2.3 was still filler but I thought it was already better than 2.0.

You'll love Heavensward if you're liking it now.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Been leveling up a dragoon and I just read a level 80 guide from reddit - this class really doesn't get super interesting until then does it lol

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Been leveling up a dragoon and I just read a level 80 guide from reddit - this class really doesn't get super interesting until then does it lol
DRG was my latest class i leveld and have been playing and it is very fun with the weaving of jumps and such into your rotation but yes it isn't the most mechanically insane or interesting class. decent amount of positionals though and the mobility of the jumps is cool. learning to use "elusive jump" by quickly rotating your mouse to go wherever you want is awesome.
it's also a class where for the good rotations you don't actually want a low GCD. there is a 2.39 rotation and a 2.45 (which is super comfy) one.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Would leveling a RDM be good for just wanting to solo different dungeons and trials for fun?

I played a RDM in my very brief time with FFXI back in the day so have a bit of a nostalgia pang for it.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Would leveling a RDM be good for just wanting to solo different dungeons and trials for fun?

I played a RDM in my very brief time with FFXI back in the day so have a bit of a nostalgia pang for it.
I'm not sure if I would level RDM solely for that, but as someone who mains the job, I think it's one of the best jobs for soloing old content, and definitely the best DPS job for soloing. Certainly helpful for stuff like WT. It can solo content that other DPS jobs can't, like Ramuh EX (SMN used to be able to do it when Topaz could hold aggro, but now I'm pretty sure RDM is the only DPS that can do it due to the raw amount of damage thrown at you).

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Dragoon is still pretty interesting before 80. It's not the most complicated class but it can be fun to get into the routine of the class. Its full form starts to become clear around 60 then everything after that is just minor additions to the class. The 70-80 skills don't really change things that much.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Oh, the Shadowbringers theme is the FF3 overworld theme. Right. Why didn't I realise that.

Anyway I beat it. Overall the ending area elevates it to about a 7, if Heavensward is a 10. Some great bits but I hope it's more balanced next time

So Garlemald next then? With Zenos

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I would level RDM solely for that, but as someone who mains the job, I think it's one of the best jobs for soloing old content, and definitely the best DPS job for soloing. Certainly helpful for stuff like WT. It can solo content that other DPS jobs can't, like Ramuh EX (SMN used to be able to do it when Topaz could hold aggro, but now I'm pretty sure RDM is the only DPS that can do it due to the raw amount of damage thrown at you).

I can confirm that you can beat Ramuh EX with Bard unsynched but it took me a while to get a perfect enough run to beat him

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Hey so I'm going through pre-Heavensward stuff and a bunch of dungeons are wanting my Avg. Item Level to be 70+. How do I do that reasonably? Like that sounds like it'll take a long ass time to do. I want to know where I start.

Status
Not open for further replies.