• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Just did the level 50 DRK quest and it was so good. People were right, this is a great quest line.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
oh god I just tanked Aurum Vale and it ended up being exactly what I thought the worst case scenario could be if I tanked.

How are we supposed to know when to exactly use a cool down to mitigate damage?
Okay Aurum Vale isn't about cooldown management. Its an old dungeon brought into 2.0 so it has some quirks that you will never come across.

1. In that first room do not pull mobs and tank them at all in the center of the room. You will pull add after add after all. Stick to a side (I prefer the left side) and pull group by group. Depending on how competent your DPS are in doing AOE combos and killing mobs dead fast you could do more than one.
1a. In that first room be careful of the toad mobs. They will pull you in and likely cause additional headaches. Just make sure you're engaging on your terms and not theirs and you should be fine.
2. First boss is an easy tank and spank. Just make sure you park yourself next to a fruit and eat it at two stacks. gg go next.
3. The next problem will be the second boss. If you see him ready an attack where his club is aimed up (I want to say 100 tonne swing) run away and re engage. You can eat every other mechanic no issue.
4. Last boss just eat fruit at 2 stacks and kill adds before they spawn gg go next.

90% of the issues with Aurum Vale is people not hugging a wall to save the raid party and people eating dirt with coincounter.

And for me and general tank cooldowns I just pull two groups of mobs and cycle through them one by one (Or pair a defensive with a +healing). Nothing in a dungeon will kill you without cooldowns if you're topped off so as long as you're actively learn "Oh hey on this cast bar I should use rampart". There aren't many times where a boss had a quirk that you can use to predict how to dodge the tank buster (e.g. Ravana's tapasya)

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The true final boss of Aurum Vale is one of your party members getting extremely angry that somebody killed a seedling and subsequently leaving the dungeon.

Then the rest of your party, realizing they can get the hell out of dodge for free:

fKLeBxI.gif

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Wait why did people angry because of morbol seedling?
If you let them hatch they become a really good source of exp especially pre-50. I generally aggro them and whail on a morbol while waiting for them to hatch because they're still squishy.

At level60+ the exp is kinda irrelevant compared to the bonus so most people just dunk on them seedlings.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
If you let them hatch they become a really good source of exp especially pre-50. I generally aggro them and whail on a morbol while waiting for them to hatch because they're still squishy.

At level60+ the exp is kinda irrelevant compared to the bonus so most people just dunk on them seedlings.
I see, whenever I got Aurum Vale I always killed those seedlings immediately so I was confused why people angry.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just did the level 60 class quest and unfortunately there was no gear rewarded :(

Yeah, I guess that's the way to go, I also just discovered there are venders in ishgard that sell item level 255 gear cheaper than stuff I was finding on the Market Board, so I guess I'm just going to go ahead and buy a few pieces like that.

I still have some Allagan Tomestone of Poetics I got from doing the MSQ dungeons in ARR, they can also be used to purchase level 60 gear? I didn't know, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Really the main way to gear up once you hit lv 50/60/70 is using your poetic tomestomes to buy gear for that corresponding level, as previously mentioned. At Level 60 you're looking for shire gear which you can get at Idyllshire (I don't remember the vendor name but should be easy enough to search). There are a lot of ways to earn Poetics and roulettes in Duty Finder are probably the most straightforward way to get them. The shire gear is i260 (i270 once upgraded with more poetics) and can last you a decent way into the Stormblood MSQ.

You could buy gear off the MB as well, but with the gear bought for 'free' with Poetics, it's not really needed. It's stuff you're going to outlevel soon enough anyways, and down the road is only worth saving for glamour purposes (or while leveling another class in the same role such as another Healer).

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I don't blame you. Having to do all those turn ins for ARR and then you get to HW crafting and its just SQUECK.

Too bad you really, really need Manipulation II for the higher end crafts.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Im done with it already but I really wish they would cut the xp to level to 50 on crafters in half for new players

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Im done with it already but I really wish they would cut the xp to level to 50 on crafters in half for new players
Technically, the Road to 70 buff is there for that, and there are plenty of ways to level up. It is still rather time-consuming, sadly.
I really think they should do something about the Heavensward tier though... That was just nasty.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I will do every single crafter job quest if they revamp ARR and HW portion of tthe job quest to be like Stormblood where I don't need to gather the materials myself.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Road to 70 isnt on every server
He was refering to new players. New players should join a prefered server when possible. Now, that is an issue if the player wants to join friends or a specific FC on an old server, that's true.

I will do every single crafter job quest if they revamp ARR and HW portion of tthe job quest to be like Stormblood where I don't need to gather the materials myself.

ARR quests aren't so bad. A bit long, but not that long. HW though, when you take into account the huge skill barrier and very tedious to gather mats... Oh boy. They need to patch HW gathering, there is no point in keeping it as it is.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Finally! I just beat E2S with a pug just in time before reset. God damn that place is a trap now... The amount of players that join groups aiming to clear and then die over and over to early mechanics is... wow. And most pug players are heavily lacking in DPS so a single death or damage down seems to be enough to keep a group from clearing, if they can even clear with a perfect run.

Tome weapon week should make it easier for PuGs I suppose... Maybe? XD
Also I wish the gear system was different, at the very least allow us to gear two different jobs at the same time.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They added Krile's outfit to the Mog Station.
oh god the hood is seperate and you can dye the hair. HNGGG

oh god I just tanked Aurum Vale and it ended up being exactly what I thought the worst case scenario could be if I tanked.

How are we supposed to know when to exactly use a cool down to mitigate damage?
To elaborate a bit beyond just 'you'll get used to it' (which is definitely the MOST appropriate description): If you're pulling more than 1 pack of mobs, you'll almost surely be using cooldowns, if you're just pulling 1 it mostly comes down to how quickly it's dying, you certainly don't need it to survive but you should always use what you can to aid healer dps, but you don't want shit to be on cooldown if, for instance, you pull one pack of mobs and then immediately pull 2 more once it dies and you could've used the CDs on the next pack. That you definitely mostly get a feel for.

Otherwise, yeah just pull as much as you can, there are very few dungeons where this isn't advised (and low level dungeons it has minimal benefit since the healer can't dps if they're healing you8 and most classes don't have AOEs at, say, sastasha level, making the dps efficiency a loss instead of a gain in most cases), and my GENERAL rule of thumb is:you have a short cooldown (raw intuition, blackest night, sheltron, whatever gunbreaker is I forget), you might as well throw that up constantly if you're of level to have them. In between uses you weave in your CDs, if it's like 2 packs of mobs I USUALLY feel pretty comfortable just throwing an arm's length or a rampart, then hitting the short cooldown again, and by then stuff is probably low. If it's 3 packs, or especially dangerous 2 packs, you'd open with a bigger cooldown, weaving your short one between, and just kind of run down the list. The main thing is to keep in mind how many pulls there are between each boss, and THAT comes with experience.

Example: Start of Akademia Anyder, I pull everything to the gate, that's 3 packs, it hurts, you can afford to burn basically every cooldown though if you feel the damage intake is high or the healing is lax or whatever. I'll run down Vengeance, Rampart, Arms Length, and maybe even thrill of battle on just that one pull, but I do it because there's 1 more small pull that I can use arms length/rampart on again, and then a boss, the boss is going to let everything else reset so those are your down phases for CDs. If it was 3 pulls, I might instead commit rampart OR arms length, one large CD if I felt damage intake was bad, and then do it again on the next pack, and again on the third if possible. The ultimate goal is just not to die, which you should quickly learn to recognize when your hp bar is dropping too fast (hp drops very slowly in this game compared to other MMOs, it's easy to just watch and react), but also to plan your cooldowns so that you don't have to slow your pulling style to a crawl. If you use them all on one pull and have 0 for the next, you PROBABLY have to just single pull which is way way worse, if you'd saved one cooldown you'd be able to keep going.

I know you've been doing DRK, and lower level dungeons at that, so it's a bit harder since your cooldowns kind of suck and you don't get Blackest Night until 70, which is absurdly overpowered in dungeons. Until then you're mostly relying on rampart, arms length, and then shadow wall in a pinch.

Once you hit 70 it'll just be 'lol I'm not taking any damage' though, trust. Stupid class.

Last edited:

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Friend told me these were one sale. Think I might go back to the lalafell life, except as a girl this time. But I'm still enjoying the catgirl life too.

EC96gzMX4AAz8Fl

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I just buy 5 packs when I'm out because I'm helplessly addicted.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
The Rising is basically an event where FFXIV crews thanked you for playing their game. Something that quite rare on MMO market.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm expecting to see 100x the fat cat mounts I saw previously, not gonna lie I'm tempted myself
Probably gonna buy that Y'shtola HW outfit I always wanted
I wish level boosts were on sale, even if it was at a lower discount, but c'est la vie

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally had a smooth morning before work on reset day. Did an expert roulette and got an e1s clear so I can just get the e2s clear tonight.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm now post-ARR for the first time and working on the 2.X patches content.

Should I be bothering to farm Tomestones at this point to get Ironworks gear or just play through the patch story content? I basically don't want to end up being ilevel gated at a trial or duty in the storyline by either the duty finder itself or anyone I get paired with (though I imagine non-post SB content isn't as hard as it used to be so I may not get kicked if i'm not quite up to some older standard of ilevel).

Basically, until I hit 80 through all the story and expansions is there any point in farming tomestones or do story quests keep you geared enough?

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
if you have some tomestones, you can buy some gear that'll bump you up, but it's just as easy to buy gear off the MB. You might not be at the story point to be in the HW expansion, but the items will be available for sale (at least on the MB, if not available at an NPC vender)

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com might help you get an idea of what items you can use at your level

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Should I be bothering to farm Tomestones at this point to get Ironworks gear or just play through the patch story content? I basically don't want to end up being ilevel gated at a trial or duty in the storyline by either the duty finder itself or anyone I get paired with (though I imagine non-post SB content isn't as hard as it used to be so I may not get kicked if i'm not quite up to some older standard of ilevel).

Basically, until I hit 80 through all the story and expansions is there any point in farming tomestones or do story quests keep you geared enough?
They should be dropping for you like candy so it shouldn't take long to get the set.

If you hit the ilv gate before then, theres grey vendor sets sold for Gil that will get you through any old ilv gates. Only 5.1+ stuff will be gated behind tomestone/crafted gear.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017

You will eventually hit ilevel gates most likely, but level 50, 60, and 70 duties should all give you tomestones, so you will be earning some as you go. You might want to do the Main Scenario Roulette. It's time consuming since you have to sit through the Castrum/Praetorium cutscenes all over again, but you get something like 300 or 500 tomestones in one go, so you can buy some gear quickly. Ironworks gear, especially augmented, can get you well into Heavensward.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

You should be geared enough. Might have to buy some gear, but you'll have some tomestones just by playing through the story. I wouldn't feel obligated to farm an entire Ironworks right after you hit 50. Make sure you do your class quests at 60 and 70 to get AF2 and AF3.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone. I actually have a few pieces of the Ironworks already so it should only take a few runs of MSQ Roullette to get the whole thing. I may just do that when I have a free evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.