• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I hope they fix NIN. It's what I main. It may just be time to change. I've been playing it since 4.1.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Cool, all they have to give up is Trick Attack. That is the grand problem with Ninja, it's balanced around Trick Attack being a thing.

The only problem is that it takes good group coordination to sync bursts and buffs to make the most out of trick attack otherwise the raid dps it adds doesn't pass what bringing a ninja gives up. But that's speed running and early undergeared prog problems only really.

Trick cant turn a poor dps pug group around sadly.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't even mind TA getting nerfed or removed at this point. If it being the best raid buff in the game is holding back the rest of our kit then I'm fine with it being gone.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The only problem is that it takes good group coordination to sync bursts and buffs to make the most out of trick attack otherwise the raid dps it adds doesn't pass what bringing a ninja gives up. But that's speed running and early undergeared prog problems only really.

Trick cant turn a poor dps pug group around sadly.

Indeed. I leveled Ninja to 70 and I haven't leveled it to 80 yet because the job is balanced around the theoretical maximum damage it can cause a raid or group to do, which rarely happens in real gameplay. But the job suffers for it.

I think Ninja would be in a better place if Trick Attack was removed and they were balanced accordingly.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this region locked?

Interested since in USD it would be even cheaper
The cards themselves aren't region locked as far as I know within North America, but EB ships the physical cards, so I don't know what the cost to the US would be or if they even ship outside of Canada.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Literally no one is gonna pick NIN even if they were massively buffed if TA stopped existing. The very definition of a one-trick pony

It's the equivalent of the rich kid we carry around because he owns the soccer ball

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. I leveled Ninja to 70 and I haven't leveled it to 80 yet because the job is balanced around the theoretical maximum damage it can cause a raid or group to do, which rarely happens in real gameplay. But the job suffers for it.

I think Ninja would be in a better place if Trick Attack was removed and they were balanced accordingly.
but what would make nin difrent from monk at that point? I rather have interesting group synergy's with the job that provides them taking a dps hit,than what wow did, which was to remove buffs. I say that as a bard btw who is near the end of the dps ranking b/c of our raid buff.

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but I was looking for the free trial in the ps4 and could not find it. Is it not offered? All I saw was the starter pack for $19.99.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
IMO Ninja is by far the most fun job in the game. But right now it feels like I'm useful when TA is up and spending the other 5/6ths of the fight busting my ass to be the worst dps.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone remind me what Black Rose's role in the Rejoining was? This is why I need NG+
Black Rose stops aether from flowing. Similarly, the Flood of Light does this as well. The plan was to have the First get completely consumed in Light (and all its aether halted), which would then cause the Flood to start "leaking" into the Source via the connection between worlds, which would then amplify the potency of Black Rose since they both have the same effect on aether.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
So I picked the game back up for a bit (my sister got me some gametime for my birthday) and resumed playing my summoner/scholar main.

Scholar is an interesting one. It's pretty boring to play in any duty under lv 40 or so. Anything less than that my pet was able to carry heals meaning i was only there for DPS and 'oh snap' big heals.

Above 40 though, yeah that's where things got fun. Pet was at best supplementary healing and I really had to take point in keeping everyone alive. Much more a challenge and I have to say far more enjoyable to play.

Haven't really got the hang of summoner yet though. Mostly using it to solo and i'm really unsure about rotation at this level. I'm up to lv 47 now and mostly just working on hunting log and duties, as well as the class quests.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
but what would make nin difrent from monk at that point? I rather have interesting group synergy's with the job that provides them taking a dps hit,than what wow did, which was to remove buffs. I say that as a bard btw who is near the end of the dps ranking b/c of our raid buff.

Bard isnt low though. They are firmly in the middle between selfish mch and dancer, but not dancer low. DNC got the super proc based dps that Bard use to have, but the dot change and straight shot passives have stabilized Bard along with battle voice. Since those don't really boost healers and tanks, it's not as strong as the passive crit was this the boost in dos

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Bard isnt low though. They are firmly in the middle between selfish mch and dancer, but not dancer low. DNC got the super proc based dps that Bard use to have, but the dot change and straight shot passives have stabilized Bard along with battle voice. Since those don't really boost healers and tanks, it's not as strong as the passive crit was this the boost in dos
I meant dps as a whole, they are 7th overall out of 10, yes they arent dead end, but definitely in the dancer/nin role of boosting raid dps, even if they do a decent bit more dps than both dancer and nin.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've got all my White Scrip crafter tools. Now I need to get the gatherer tools. There won't be any new crafter/gatherer gear until 5.1, right? I can't remember how it was in Stormblood. That was too long ago.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So how does running through Coil work these days for the story? Cause even though I never fully did it, I somehow have it all unlocked?

I want to run my friend through it who hasn't done any of it and get the story. Do we just go one tier after another or is there an actual quest chain somewhere?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Me: Awwww shit, time to fight Titan!
*Battle begins*
Me: Aight let me get in rang-nani the fuck is this music....
*bangs head to the beat for the next 10 minutes*
*Titan enters final phase*

tenor.gif

Dunno about you peeps but this surprise crazy metal/rock theme won me over.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So how does running through Coil work these days for the story? Cause even though I never fully did it, I somehow have it all unlocked?

I want to run my friend through it who hasn't done any of it and get the story. Do we just go one tier after another or is there an actual quest chain somewhere?
Quest -> Tier unlocked -> End of tier quest x3

Just curious, anyone know when this thread is due to be moved into the hangouts section?
it should be today

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
Bard isnt low though. They are firmly in the middle between selfish mch and dancer, but not dancer low. DNC got the super proc based dps that Bard use to have, but the dot change and straight shot passives have stabilized Bard along with battle voice. Since those don't really boost healers and tanks, it's not as strong as the passive crit was this the boost in dps

What

BV is huge for tanks and healers. Way more than 2% passive crit.

Also dancer took a lot of sb mch gameplay, not brd

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

You do T5, 9, 12, and 13. You don't need to do the other floors since they have very minimal amounts of story and you're allowed to just skip them to unlock the next coil. I think the quest to actually start them is with Urianger in the waking sands

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
to cause the calamity that would allow the Source to absorb the first.
Black Rose stops aether from flowing. Similarly, the Flood of Light does this as well. The plan was to have the First get completely consumed in Light (and all its aether halted), which would then cause the Flood to start "leaking" into the Source via the connection between worlds, which would then amplify the potency of Black Rose since they both have the same effect on aether.

I knew it was something like that, thanks. Just randomly thinking about the plot today.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wasn't too big on the WHM AF4 armor when they first showed it, but after unlocking it last night I think I've come around on it a bit. I think the arm and head pieces weren't quite for me, so I took them off and prefer the look of the sleeves.

c29HBwV.png

Now that I think about it, also looks a little bit like a wedding dress this way especially without a weapon equipped.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Onions for chocobos usually skyrocket during the beginning and end of the current expansions. Make sure to stock up on them midway through the expansion when they are at their cheapest. However, they won't completely return to prices during mid Stormblood due to the explosion in new players. A lot of FCs have been going out of their way to buy new players the onions, so those prices aren't going anywhere for a while.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Onions for chocobos usually skyrocket during the beginning and end of the current expansions. Make sure to stock up on them midway through the expansion when they are at their cheapest. However, they won't completely return to prices during mid Stormblood due to the explosion in new players. A lot of FCs have been going out of their way to buy new players the onions, so those prices aren't going anywhere for a while.
I guess I am odd, I have never used them. feels like the game assumes you wont use them.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am glad i leveled BLU yesterday and today. besides the easy allied seals, its also super fun to do these challenges, especially the golden weekly one.

20190726231832_1knkge.jpg

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
*Battle begins*

tenor.gif

Oh you sweet summer child. The music in this game is not afraid to go balls deep off the rails. In the best ways.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was loving it until now, those quests are irredeemable filler. 70 more of them...
Everyone telling you they're great is pulling your leg. While there are PARTS of this filler that is relevant, the amount of nonsense you do in between tiny snippets of relevance are few and far between. You can click through very quickly ANYTHING having to do with faeries or anything else.

My hot tip for surviving 2.1-2.55: At least VAGUELY pay attention to the Crystal Braves related stuff, the Ishgard/Heretic related stuff, and anything the Scions specifically do or say. anyhting else forget about it. You'll get more into heavensward relevant stuff as you get closer, like 2.3 and 2.4 pick up. 2.1 and 2.2 are almost entirely just pure garbage you should click through.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
*Battle begins*

tenor.gif

Lol wait till Shiva.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Do we know what tanks and healers base DH rate is?
Pretty sure it's still 0? Thought that's how it worked for these. But Tanks will meld direct hit(other than WAR cause they get DH from skills, but same thing really), not sure about healers. My PLD melds give me 15% dhit though, it's almost entirely direct hit, a couple of skill speed cause I like being able to still hit goring when I'm being terrible and triple weaving cooldowns for tank busters or missing a bit of uptime when I move the boss or whatever.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I cannot stress this opinion enough. Outside of our 10 seconds of burst during TA, we're working our asses off for zero personal payoff.
Yeah they really made a mistake not deciding to be pure dps or pure support like bard and older MCH.

Having a class that is hard to play but rewards with crazy high dps is a lot of people's idea of a good time.
Having a class that is dedicated to buffing while also debuffing and/or damaging the opponent with lots of utility is also a good time.

Having a class that requires a ton of inputs and abilities to just get bottom of the barrel dps and provide one skill of utility and a DoT means that you have the worst of both worlds.

Unfortunately minus taking out trick attack I don't know what they can do to fix NIN right now. It's worse than SB MCH imo because it literally only has one thing going for it, Trick Attack, and the rest of the class is hilariously and needlessly complex for how little you do in terms of damage. It's really a bummer as I mained NIN leading up to SB.

Literally no one is gonna pick NIN even if they were massively buffed if TA stopped existing. The very definition of a one-trick pony

It's the equivalent of the rich kid we carry around because he owns the soccer ball
I would. Learning Mudras would be worth it if it paid off in big dps numbers. Right now i'm doing bottom of the barrel dps just to give everyone else a vuln. I'd be all over it if it got a streamline like MCH did. Right now there's no reason for it to be as complicated as it is to hit barely big numbers and then rapid fall off after the initial burst.

Last edited:

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they really made a mistake not deciding to be pure dps or pure support like bard and older MCH.

Having a class that is hard to play but rewards with crazy high dps is a lot of people's idea of a good time.
Having a class that is dedicated to buffing while also debuffing and/or damaging the opponent with lots of utility is also a good time.

Having a class that requires a ton of inputs and abilities to just get bottom of the barrel dps and provide one skill of utility and a DoT means that you have the worst of both worlds.

Unfortunately minus taking out trick attack I don't know what they can do to fix NIN right now. It's worse than SB MCH imo because it literally only has one thing going for it, Trick Attack, and the rest of the class is hilariously and needlessly complex for how little you do in terms of damage. It's really a bummer as I mained NIN leading up to SB.
yup outside giving trick to someone els (brd, or dancer tbh) and buffing nin, they are kinda stuck.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Trick Attack being a role skill could work but the amount of butthurt would be legendary.

I just don't know what to be excited about with Ninja right now, despite loving the aesthetic of the class. It's a bummer.
the main reasson I used those example is because physical ranged, exuding mch is already support dps, and twords the back dps wise anyways. it lets all malee jobs do good dps that way.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
the main reasson I used those example is because physical ranged, exuding mch is already support dps, and twords the back dps wise anyways. it lets all malee jobs do good dps that way.
Fair enough.

I saw in the Balance Discord a link to a tweet discussing rewarding good play with something like Dragoon's Raiden Thrust or something would go a long way as well. As of right now your reward for having a good rotation is....not much and if your ping is even off by a little bit you can cost yourself quite a bit of damage as well. Having a high skill ceiling works fine in theory until you realize that any other dps can out dps you with little to no effort and your only role there is to throw a debuff on an enemy when it's off cooldown so EVERYONE ELSE can do good damage while you hit 50 buttons to hit it with all the force of a paper napkin after your initial burst window.

I know I'm over exaggerating a bit, but I dunno after playing MCH and DRG and others now it feels weird to go back to NIN and go "Do I really want to do ALL this for just...okay dps?"

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Fair enough.

I saw in the Balance Discord a link to a tweet discussing rewarding good play with something like Dragoon's Raiden Thrust or something would go a long way as well. As of right now your reward for having a good rotation is....not much and if your ping is even off by a little bit you can cost yourself quite a bit of damage as well. Having a high skill ceiling works fine in theory until you realize that any other dps can out dps you with little to no effort and your only role there is to throw a debuff on an enemy when it's off cooldown so EVERYONE ELSE can do good damage while you hit 50 buttons to hit it with all the force of a paper napkin after your initial burst window.

I know I'm over exaggerating a bit, but I dunno after playing MCH and DRG and others now it feels weird to go back to NIN and go "Do I really want to do ALL this for just...okay dps?"
I got DRG to 80 and was blown away with how much more dps I was doing with only half the work required. I got DRG ready to go for Savage on Tuesday just in case NIN is still in this bad spot. Might be the first raid tier I don't use Ninja on since 3.0.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I got DRG to 80 and was blown away with how much more dps I was doing with only half the work required. I got DRG ready to go for Savage on Tuesday just in case NIN is still in this bad spot. Might be the first raid tier I don't use Ninja on since 3.0.
Yeah I recently started playing things like DRG/MCH/RDM/etc and was astounded at how much better it felt to not be hitting 500 buttons to be able to kill things quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.