• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if I'd say Heaven on High is the best way to level alts. It's definitely a fast way, but fast isn't always best. You'll learn your job a whole lot better if you spam the leveling dungeon appropriate for your level, and that's still pretty fast when coupled with a couple daily roulettes. Can take a while to find parties though (like 10, 15 minutes) if you don't have a static/FC.

For me, I'm gearing up my BLM main, trying to get to 80 with my RDM secondary class, and trying out DNC. So for DNC I've just been doing HoH as all my dailies are taken up by BLM and RDM. It's a nice mix up too and prevents the grind from being boring for me.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
FFXIV is the first game I've enjoyed healing and stuck with it. My WHM just hit 74. Blood for the blood lily! It's been a ton of fun.

However, the second I hit 73, the quality of dungeon teams fell off a cliff. Every tank is the same clown who pulls every single enemy until the next boss, refuses to stand in asylum, and also never pops a single cool down the entire dungeon. Dps just stands in every aoe, ignores all mechanics, and does miserable damage.

I have an 80 DRK and 80 DRG so I've done all the Shadowbringers content a ton, but I don't remember people being so fucking terrible at the game while doing it. Maybe I've just hit a particularly weird run of groups but it's been exhausting and genuinely frustrating trying to keep these people upright.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I spent my spare time in the last week leveling Gunbreaker from 60 to 70 - each day I basically did the three Beast-tribe quests for Heavensward and Stormblood, then two daily roulettes (Levelling roulette and 50-60-70), then the current level dungeon two or three times. I had never really been a tank before (BLM all the way!), so I learned a lot by doing all those dungeon runs. I took my time, but I know Mr Happy did the same thing in like 8 hours or something using dungeon runs to level.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I spent my spare time in the last week leveling Gunbreaker from 60 to 70 - each day I basically did the three Beast-tribe quests for Heavensward and Stormblood, then two daily roulettes (Levelling roulette and 50-60-70), then the current level dungeon two or three times. I had never really been a tank before (BLM all the way!), so I learned a lot by doing all those dungeon runs. I took my time, but I know Mr Happy did the same thing in like 8 hours or something using dungeon runs to level.
You might want to try MSQ roulette and Alliance roulette instead of 50/60/70 if you want to level faster.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Will we be able to pentameld the crafted gear that comes out next Tuesday? Sorry if my memory is trash, but I thought that they were getting rid of pentamelds.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a recommendation for a budget gaming Laptop that could run FFXIV. Doesn't need to run full speed or anything, but I'd like to get one that will likely be able to run through 6.0, not just Shadowbringers. Think a 1660 GPU will do that for me?

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I've been enjoying my time in FFXIV the last week so much that my character is up to Level 42 White Mage, and am at an approximate matching point in the MSQ (I'm picking up the lingo already!). So far, the game's been pretty good with the worst being a particularly interminable stretch of fetch quests in Ala Mhigo and for the Company of Heroes.

Now I'm sort of at the point where I'm starting to feel like it would be nice to be part of a decent sized, active Free Company. I'm on Coeurl in Crystal datacenter. I don't suppose any of you would have any suggestions?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Will we be able to pentameld the crafted gear that comes out next Tuesday? Sorry if my memory is trash, but I thought that they were getting rid of pentamelds.
They didn't get rid of pentamelding crafting gear so unlikely. You will however have less reliance on it since you don't need to meld vitality on accessories anymore to actually do content without dying to unavoidable aoes and stuff.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to give Gunbreaker a try, it's my first job as a tank in FF14 and gonna play it casually.

General question, is there a priority to popping mitigation skills? I usually start with ones with lower CD and go from there and use Superbolide as a last resort. It's getting me through large pulls but just want to know if there is a general best practice.

You normally want to start with the lower CD ones, yeah. I almost always use Heart of Stone when I got all the mobs, because sometimes the healer needs to catch up with you and if it's a large pull your HP will burn down fast. Is is a pretty short CD so should be up if the fight drags long enough. Arms Length is really good, reserve it for long pulls, and pop it at the start too, unless the healer is a WHM and goes trigger happy with Holy in which case you can watch how is utterly wasted. Then you should wait a bit to use it.

That is for the start, at that point is more of a matter of knowing the dungeon well and how much your healer needs you to be more agressive on defensive CD usage. Normally putting rampart mid fight is a good idea and then camouflage for the next pull, try to have always one or the other + heart of stone up for the next pull. Aurora is helpful too, but it's not a "oh shit" button, I mostly use it if a fight drags for to long, it will help your healer to save some MP. Nebula is usually the one you want to use when really long pulls or if you see the healer can't keep up with the damage.

Also at some point you'll know each dungeon well enough to refine the CD usage as well as using, for example, Low Blow or Interject on heavy hitter enemies, to avoid even more damage.

But I would recommend to start slow, if you feel to much getting several packs, just go one at a time. Gear is very important while leveling, since the amount of defense will definetly impact how much you can pull comfortably (that's true for all jobs, but I feel is even more important for tank), so is ok to take it slow and try to know each dungeon and your own limits as well.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
I believe so although it will be purely substats.
They didn't get rid of pentamelding crafting gear so unlikely. You will however have less reliance on it since you don't need to meld vitality on accessories anymore to actually do content without dying to unavoidable aoes and stuff.
Ah, that sounds much better/accurate than I originally thought. I'm gonna miss Vit melds keeping me alive to mechanics that woulda otherwise killed me.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at this final cinematic experience in Patch 2.55

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
This is embarrassing. I just discovered the inn after finishing the Shadowbringers campaign. Yes, I've been stashing all the clothes I like in my retainers.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I'd say Heaven on High is the best way to level alts. It's definitely a fast way, but fast isn't always best. You'll learn your job a whole lot better if you spam the leveling dungeon appropriate for your level, and that's still pretty fast when coupled with a couple daily roulettes. Can take a while to find parties though (like 10, 15 minutes) if you don't have a static/FC.
Yeah HoH gets kinda boring when you run it too many times. I've been running dungeons with my bard. Started at level 50 and just spamming the highest level dungeon I can do and I'm 68 right now but it's not as tedious as every two levels I change dungeons collect gear and such. It's just much better and I'm learning bard along the way. In HoH everything dies too fast to understand what to do.

Oct 25, 2017
The top is Uraeus Coat

IDK if I'm gonna stick with it because... as you can see it's pretty extra.

But I think gunbreakers should be a little extra and have some kind of sweet coat. It feels weird when she's running around in knight armor with a gunsword. I actually quite like the artifact gear, but feels a bit goofy when you're standing around Thancrad wearing the same jacket in a different color.
If anyone knows any sweet jackets tanks can wear hit me up.
NCHA8ek.png

that looks great. using any type of reshade or mod?
Are you using any graphical mod? Looking so good lol

(Ahem, the scenery. That's what I mean.)
I use espresso glow reshade. When I play I got use the gameplay preset with some random stuff turned on, and I use the others when I take screenshots in gpose. I think that shot was the ambient preset.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Stormblood starts off pretty strong. Only complaint is that the first new areas all kind of just look like Thanalan. More excited for Japanese inspired areas I'm about to get to.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
There's no DPS class that uses plate, right? I know this is sort of a wiki question but I'm thinking about what class I want to switch to, and I like the look of plate but I don't really want to be a tank.

Also, The Titan fight in ARR is the first fight I legit died on, didn't know what was going on and got blown off the edge. We still won but I feel bad. At the same time, since we did win I had no time to correct my mistake, so I still don't know what I did wrong.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
There's no DPS class that uses plate, right? I know this is sort of a wiki question but I'm thinking about what class I want to switch to, and I like the look of plate but I don't really want to be a tank.

Also, The Titan fight in ARR is the first fight I legit died on, didn't know what was going on and got blown off the edge. We still won but I feel bad. At the same time, since we did win I had no time to correct my mistake, so I still don't know what I did wrong.

Dragoon armor, both Aritifact gear you get at various intervals like 50/60/70 and general drops from dungeons/raids tend to skew plateish, often times sharing the same model of tank gear. None of the other jobs come close to that look.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

The landslides.....the landslides.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The top is Uraeus Coat

But I think gunbreakers should be a little extra and have some kind of sweet coat. It feels weird when she's running around in knight armor with a gunsword. I actually quite like the artifact gear, but feels a bit goofy when you're standing around Thancrad wearing the same jacket in a different color.
NCHA8ek.png

I use espresso glow reshade. When I play I got use the gameplay preset with some random stuff turned on, and I use the others when I take screenshots in gpose. I think that shot was the ambient preset.
I am a fan of that coat, that's linked. I play a male Au Ra and he looks like atall pirate with his chest out. but I agree knights with guns is weird, tbh I would make the argument that DRK's also look better in jacket type situations. I hope with GNB being a thing they are incentivised to make more tank jackets stuff

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at this final cinematic experience in Patch 2.55
All the shit you do in the 2.x "filler" basically pays off hard with the 2.55 stuff. Skipping ARR does the character/world building a huge disservice

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
2cd94xzl6zb31.png

Well, unless some better looking (in my opinion) tank gear comes out or the lv 80 AF gears get dyable, this is my look for awhile with only the weapon changing.

I posted a picture of this outfit before but it was from my tablet and not great lighting.

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I really- really like this look.

It also looks good without my helmet on but didn't take a screenshot of that.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
The landslides.....the landslides.

I don't even know what that is, to be honest. I saw everybody else running towards the edge so I also ran towards the edge even though I think it was glowing. And then I got punted off the edge. No rez when you get blown off I'm afraid =\. Is there even combat rez in this game? The one thing I don't like about doing the dungeon roulette is that if you get a group that really knows what they are doing, like really knows, you don't even feel needed if you are a first timer, haha. At least one group I was in pointed me towards a cool pet though so that's okay in my book.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
The top is Uraeus Coat

NCHA8ek.png

Look up the Sky Pirate coat/of Fending set.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
2cd94xzl6zb31.png

Well, unless some better looking (in my opinion) tank gear comes out or the lv 80 AF gears get dyable, this is my look for awhile with only the weapon changing.

I posted a picture of this outfit before but it was from my tablet and not great lighting.

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I really- really like this look.

It also looks good without my helmet on but didn't take a screenshot of that.
I feel you, as a healer and our horrible looking gear, I still run around with the same glam since ARR.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Random question, but do Orchestron songs not play all the way through if they're long? I got the 79 trial Roll but it always loops back to start as it gets to the good part :(

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
remz I installed the reshade, and although the game looks gorgeous now, the controller stopped working, lol

send help

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well got to 70 on my Bard
Lol Jehantel piecing out after the beginning of the heavensward and stormblood job quest until the end when you have to go back to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.