• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So this is my 3rd go at the game, I wanna go through the Realm Rebourn stuff and then see if id like to buy the expansions...will there be a point where I know ive reached the end of the ARR content and can purchase the expansions?
There's usually a credit roll after the main game(example: 2.0) and a credit roll after the patch series before the next main game/expansion(example 2.5, before 3.0).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
is there anything out in the world to explore for besides sightseeing nodes? it feels so stale
Become a fisher and find all the fishing grounds. I don't think the game/world is stale at all. The areas are beautiful. But there actually isn't that much to discover like for example in Guild Wars 2. So that might be the better game for you if you are interested in exploring the maps.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Are there even any in SHB? I was quite looking forward to a new one, and they seemed to be all the rage about it lately (the summer event, the GATE, the bunch on SB areas) but they don't even let us jump puzzle the crystal tower? Big fat BOO.
I feel like it would've been really noticeable if there were any, unless they're just more out of sight than the SB ones.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Mustve spent 1 hour waiting to join a team for the deepcroft duty.
Would anoyone like to help out? Should i just drop my character name and then wait for aj invite?

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol Moenbryda is totally irrelevant to Heavensward. Cutscenes take care of 90% of the rest of that. In my opinion, it is not worth dozens of hours of someone's time experiencing awful content to understand why XYZ side character is grateful to the Scions as opposed to reading a paragraph.

I understand why someone would say "just stick with it" but people saying otherwise aren't really forgetting what happens in 2.X so much as valuing their time differently.
I just redid post-ARR on an alt, and the slog is very overstated here. You do feel it a little at times, but if you actually care about the story, it's not really that bad.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
ARR will have a credits roll at the end of the base game (2.0) and IIRC, after its final patch (2.55). You won't need to purchase the expansion (Shadowbringers contains all past expansions so you only need to buy the one) until you finish 2.55, but if you purchase it at 2.0, you can gain a meager amount of EXP towards 5 while you do the quests to access the new expansion
I got a free copy of Heavensward awhile ago. I haven't yet purchased Shadowbringers, but if I buy the $30.99 one from NewEgg, I won't need to buy Stormblood or the Complete Edition, then? O.o

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a free copy of Heavensward awhile ago. I haven't yet purchased Shadowbringers, but if I buy the $30.99 one from NewEgg, I won't need to buy Stormblood or the Complete Edition, then? O.o

No. Stormbringers contains everything. Most MMOs do it this way these days. There is IIRC no way to even purchase Stormblood anymore.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The way they used "limited jobs" makes me feel like there's going to be more than one unless the backlash caused them to stop

What is going to be the next limited job in your opinion?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The way they used "limited jobs" makes me feel like there's going to be more than one unless the backlash caused them to stop

I don't think they're going to do another one. A job you can't even use in duty finder content outside of undersized parties isn't really worth the amount of effort they had to put in to make it.

I honestly think we're going to see them do maybe one more small update to BLU and then quietly retire it.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Finally got to 50 and reclassed to red mage and i'm having such a fun time. Up until now i've primarily been a white mage but i have a ton of leveling ahead of me and casting stone and aero gets.. a little tiring after awhile

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I finally decided to keep going with my anima weapon quest after putting it on hold. I'm about halfway through the umbrite/crystal sand phase. At this point I have run out of things to trade for crystal sand.

is there anything out in the world to explore for besides sightseeing nodes? it feels so stale
Don't forget to pick up all available elite hunts and regular hunts in case you see something.

Last edited:

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
Become a fisher and find all the fishing grounds. I don't think the game/world is stale at all. The areas are beautiful. But there actually isn't that much to discover like for example in Guild Wars 2. So that might be the better game for you if you are interested in exploring the maps.

I love FFXIV, I was just hoping for more to do out in the world. I think the trials are some of the best I've played in an MMO and the story is great! I did enjoy Guild Wars 2 for exploration but didn't really enjoy the actual gameplay lol Ah well

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think they're going to do another one. A job you can't even use in duty finder content outside of undersized parties isn't really worth the amount of effort they had to put in to make it.

I honestly think we're going to see them do maybe one more small update to BLU and then quietly retire it.
I don't know how much effort it really took though. They had to do a few animations for the class but not a large amount since all spells are cast only in a few ways, all the particles are simply the monster skills so that was just a matter of resizing/adjusting positions, the class only has one set of armor unique to it and like 3weapons, so that part's fine too, then you have the unique content, which is a very basic arena(I wanna say it's a reused arena, but not entirely sure, still it's very barren so wouldn't take long to make) where you fight monsters that already existed. The only new model is the last boss in there.

They had to make some new UI stuff and design the various fights and quests still, but honestly when it comes to side content, it seems a lot easier than some other stuff they've done, like PotD/HoH/Gold Saucer/Vermillion and such, all of which have way more original assets, and due to its limited factor and theme, even though it's a whole new class, it probably took a fraction of the effort they need when they make a "real" class.

Now if they make say, Puppetmaster, that'd require a lot more assets, for the actual puppet and the various settings they can have and such, so I don't know if they'll do another, but I don't think BLU was particularily taxing.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

Yoshi promised a lot more Blu stuff including challenging content. We shall see.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I had quit sometime around before they announced the final leg of SB raiding. Just couldn't stand Stormblood anymore. Shadowbringers is literally giving me that feeling I got coming off of 1.18 into ARR when they made Coils and ended that story. Fucking love it, feels fantastic and can't wait for more.

Can't believe they roped me back in, I was absolutely done and figured I'd give this a cursory glance for a few weeks before dropping off.

Quadaess

Oct 27, 2017
Sevilla

Yoshi-P said that Beastmaster and Puppet master have high chances to get in the game as limited jobs. Don't know when or if it will actually happen.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Variz zos Galvus is so goofy looking. Looks like he belongs in a Warhammer game, not in this.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
So is the "cat became hungry" site accurate on the probability of fish? It claims the brightmirror clam is about 50% with the Fruit Worm bait but at level 76 I've fished for about an hour and a half with no luck. What gives?
I imagine this early in the patch most of the data is off just because of the limited amount of people running the program that monitors what's being caught. Maybe the person that fed the clam data got extremely lucky and casted during a window where the clam is extremely common.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Someone actually wrote to Easy Allies complaining about Shadowbringers scoring higher than Sekiro in their recent podcast.

And he was even being all sarcastic with "I Guess an expansion of an mmo is the best game this year."

Oct 26, 2017
If I started a new class, should I be running Palace of the Dead at Floor 50-60, and restarting there over-and-over? Or start from Floor 1? I put on Brand-New Ring for +30% exp, and ate some food, and leveled up from 3 to 6, then 6 to 8 after doing 50-60 twice. Not sure if that is a good pace or purty slow.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I started a new class, should I be running Palace of the Dead at Floor 50-60, and restarting there over-and-over? Or start from Floor 1? I put on Brand-New Ring for +30% exp, and ate some food, and leveled up from 3 to 6, then 6 to 8 after doing 50-60 twice. Not sure if that is a good pace or purty slow.

Just do 50-60 I think.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
rings doesn't do anything in PotD, as is food. These two give bonus exp on monsters killed, but you only receive exp at the end of the instance in PotD. You use those on fates or dungeons

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well crap! I didn't realize either these things. So no point killing all the monsters? Just clear floor to teleporter as fast as possible? I've probably been annoying my matched party then.
Yeah, it is likely you annoyed them a bit but it's no big deal. The goal is to complete them as fast as possible if you want to level, and it is better to start at the highest floor you can start a new save file.

Don't forget to do your hunting log, great source of exp from 1-20. Also the duty roulette when it is up every day is the greatest source of exp you can get, but it's once per day. The roulette really helps you starting from 50 when you unlock most things

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine this early in the patch most of the data is off just because of the limited amount of people running the program that monitors what's being caught. Maybe the person that fed the clam data got extremely lucky and casted during a window where the clam is extremely common.

They don't appear as catchable until you unlock the delivery quest mission for them.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I got DRG to 60 last night. That's another job I can get the Makai title for and make the gear salvageable. I don't know what to level next.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Is the paladin skill intervention a skill that you have to activate yourself or is it always on? It never works when I try to use it.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone have advice on materia for Dancer at 80? Is there a stat I should be getting to a cap and then dumping into another stat or is it more nuanced than that? And if so, what's a good resource for knowing stat caps and things like that?

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have advice on materia for Dancer at 80? Is there a stat I should be getting to a cap and then dumping into another stat or is it more nuanced than that? And if so, what's a good resource for knowing stat caps and things like that?

Home

The Balance provides high-quality job and raid guides for Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV).

I don't play Dancer atm, but head to the Dancer channels on this Discord and you should be able to find all the info you need. This is pretty much the main theorycrafting Discord for the game, so it's useful for any job.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Currently in Heavensward and...
Haurchefant! Noooooo!!!! 😭😭😭

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stormblood update

I just unlocked the dungeon in the Steppe where I need to tame a mount or something for an upcoming tournament. How far into the expansion am I ?

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017

Home

The Balance provides high-quality job and raid guides for Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV).

I don't play Dancer atm, but head to the Dancer channels on this Discord and you should be able to find all the info you need. This is pretty much the main theorycrafting Discord for the game, so it's useful for any job.
Oh cool, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.