• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Looking back Black Mage was boring back then but it's gets much better at 60 on up.
Most jobs are dull before 60 (if not 70).
Considering this, would you recommend that I stick with Ninja longer then before trying another new class? I'm about 39 right now.

Is it okay if the job is hard? Because I think current Ninja is easily the most fun DPS job the game has ever had (in my experience at least), but it demands a lot from you most other jobs won't
Yeah, hard is fine. Just as long as fun. And I have been enjoying ninja too. I just was curious if others thought there were more fun ones out there. It's been a good step up from mage, that is for sure.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I've really been pushing myself to be positive and have a great time, which is why I asked above for a really fun class to play, because I'm tired of the same things. The general framework of this game and it's quests. The animations look pretty, but feel...weak? Just...I don't know. I think I let myself get sucked into hype of newest expansion, and for 3rd time in this game's life now, I've re-subbed. And feeling like it wasn't a great idea. And like most MMOs now-a-days, I feel like I'm playing alongside people, but...not really playing with anyone.
I still feel this is probably one of the best (if not THE best) MMORGs on the market so definitely give it a spin and try all the classes. I leveled a dragoon and played around with the other classes but none of them left me wanting to level them up any further so I just stuck with the dragoon.

I also got sucked by the hype, and again, it may very well the best expansions, but the general framework is the same as all of the other expansions: they stick with what works and don't attempt to rattle the cage too much which is fine.

I am not necessarily regretting purchasing the expansion and re-subbing because I did enjoy my time with it until I got to Shadowbringers. Maybe I expected some kind of major shake up from all of the hype and once I realized nothing much has changed in terms of game design, I just became dejected? I mean, its the same thing just in new environments with new allies and villains. Graphics/gameplay, etc are still really outdated for today's era IMHO.

You do you. I just figured that as of right now I exhausted my time with the game.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Considering this, would you recommend that I stick with Ninja longer then before trying another new class? I'm about 39 right now.
Play whatever interests you. Just understand that each job has its own leveling process, so you'll start back at level 1 if you switch jobs/classes (or higher if you're switching to one of the expansion jobs). All the jobs have their own playstyles and pros/cons, and they're all viable.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently Machinist is the DPS job that is the most involving at 50 and doesn't feel especially neutered

RDM and reworked machinest are definitely the most complete feeling of the jobs at 50. BLM is still a beast since it's still the same fire spam then quick thunder/ice, those skills are almost all replaced meanwhile the core of the 2 aforementioned jobs utilize the same skills at 50 as they do 80.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
The current iteration of blm's real gameplay starts at 60
Yeah blm gameplay isn't for everyone but at 80 it's very well made

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
I'm so on the edge of getting this, but would be starting from scratch and I don't know how to juggle between this and Destiny.

Can't really comment as to the starting from scratch part since I've been playing since 2.0. But, Ffxiv and destiny have been my two main games I play since D1 released in 2014. Just gotta find a balance and realize you can have fun without having the newest, latest and greatest toy. Go at your own pace.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, hard is fine. Just as long as fun. And I have been enjoying ninja too. I just was curious if others thought there were more fun ones out there. It's been a good step up from mage, that is for sure.

Ninja's fun comes from how much you have to keep track of at higher levels. You need to maintain your speed buff, keep your ninjutsu on cooldown (and maximizing your ninjutsu recast resets) while making sure to use the correct ones, so there's a lot of on the fly decision making. All the while you're keeping up with uptime on positionals, and while all that's going on you have a meter to keep track of and spend on additional abilities, and it's really easy to overcap it, which you obviously don't want to do. It's a lot, but it's sooo satisfying to do well on.

Oct 26, 2017
Ninja's fun comes from how much you have to keep track of at higher levels. You need to maintain your speed buff, keep your ninjutsu on cooldown (and maximizing your ninjutsu recast resets) while making sure to use the correct ones, so there's a lot of on the fly decision making. All the while you're keeping up with uptime on positionals, and while all that's going on you have a meter to keep track of and spend on additional abilities, and it's really easy to overcap it, which you obviously don't want to do. It's a lot, but it's sooo satisfying to do well on.
OKay, well, now I'm intimidated. lol. Maybe Dragoon is for me so I can just run around looking like Kain....

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pondering disrupting the market to get some mats I need more cheaply.

Will I go to any length to get my Anima weapon? The answer is yes. Yes I will.

The Fieldcraft Demimateria I market is being crushed.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding Innocence Ex to be a lot harder than Titania. Maybe because it's a lot more exhausting as a healer. I'm constantly reviving people and healing them back up or healing people injured from aoes and eventually I fuck up myself because I was staring at health bars.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding Innocence Ex to be a lot harder than Titania. Maybe because it's a lot more exhausting as a healer. I'm constantly reviving people and healing them back up or healing people injured from aoes and eventually I fuck up myself because I was staring at health bars.
It's easier people being shit doesnt make it harder. Titania actually requires the pugs to understand mechanics inno is 95% reaction based. They are both standard starter trials overall

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It's easier people being shit doesnt make it harder. Titania actually requires the pugs to understand mechanics inno is 95% reaction based. They are both standard starter trials overall

I guess I prefer Titania's "one person fucks up, everyone dies." At least that way I don't go the whole fight reviving people before they realize we're gonna enrage due to all the deaths.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So I see that Extreme Trials have a practice option? I assume that is to say for people who are new to the trial?

Do you still get the totem if you complete it?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So I see that Extreme Trials have a practice option? I assume that is to say for people who are new to the trial?

Do you still get the totem if you complete it?

Yeah that's just to let people know your party is focusing on practice and not exactly aiming for a clear. But if you clear you get everything that comes with it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in Stormblood. I just reached Naima, after finally clearing the area with all the water and the volcano. How long until I reach 4.0's credits?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've never touched Materia melding till now.

Why can't I use the NPC in Eulmore? Is there a quest I need to do first?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there A) Reason and B) People willing to do original ARR Extreme Primals? The fights seem fun but I'm not sure *why* I would do them. I also found that Ultima's Bane (Ultima Weapon Hard) is just straight up abandoned; I waited for 95 minutes and not a single person joined the DF queue.

In other news, 2.4 down. Snowcloak and Shiva were both fun, but I didn't really find much "accelerating". All this Ivy business was quite boring. I did enjoy the 2.3 cutscene where Minfilia et. al. break down the flow of Aether, though, that was cool lore.

Edit: Also, new voice actors out of nowhere?! Nooooo I liked Alphinaud's old one better ; ;

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Pushed through more ShB MSQs and finished the second dungeon.
It was way more stressful on me as the WHM than it needed to be. Everyone seemed to know the mechanics but the DPS was severely lacking and the tank didn't seem to use any GCDs besides his DPS combo.

Anyways, I was finally able to unleash Afflatus Misery so it was still fun. I think between that, Assize and Holy spam on trash mobs I sometimes out-DPSed the DPS in there...
Can't wait to get to Titania!

Is there A) Reason and B) People willing to do original ARR Extreme Primals? The fights seem fun but I'm not sure *why* I would do them. I also found that Ultima's Bane (Ultima Weapon Hard) is just straight up abandoned; I waited for 95 minutes and not a single person joined the DF queue.

I only ever did extreme primals to farm the mounts. I did them uncapped at Lv 70 solo or with my brother / FC but other than that there's not much of a reason to do them nowdays.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

In other news, 2.4 down. Snowcloak and Shiva were both fun, but I didn't really find much "accelerating". All this Ivy business was quite boring. I did enjoy the 2.3 cutscene where Minifilia et. al. break down the flow of Aether, though, that was cool lore.
Mounts. Would probably have better luck in the Party Finder than in the Duty Finder, but mount farmers would want to do it unsynced.

As for the story, uh...keep going.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Party finder is your friend. You can choose an instance and recruit members for it. This way its visible to people and not random after they load in. For trials especially people are willing to help just to help or because they like the fight. As for reason, you can get glamor items like weapons from these still. Even if they are not great in terms of stats, they are still awesome visually. As well as mounts and tomes which are turned in for other items. There is also some side rewards called Wonderous Trails that tasks players with certain events to complete. About 4-5 of these tend to be the Extreme Trials.

People are also always willing to do them. Especially on weekends, you see people running dozens of them. They can be completed in less than 5 minutes when unsynced is turn on.

So yeah look in the party finder or just make a party search yourself and you can finish anything pretty quick. Most higher level players will prefer unsync for speed but if you specify wanting to do it the capped way you should still get plenty of bites.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason to do the fights capped? Are the rewards different? O.o (I suppose maintaining the design integrity of the original fight is something, but...eh.)

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I actually love deserts in Final Fantasy more than snowy climes, and it's clear the SB Area designers could cut loose with all the trappings and little bits in these zones. Coerthas Western Highlands felt empty.
CWH was definitely too consistent for how massive of a map it is. Needed more color and twists on the blizzard.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
Messing around with GNB on a dummy, jeeze the new sounds, lol.

They're such an extreme improvement over the originals, I'm shocked the expansion launched with the old ones.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Mounts and Khloe's weekly book.
Edit: Also, new voice actors out of nowhere?! Nooooo I liked Alphinaud's old one better ; ;
The perks of using JP voice, it never change :)
Is there a reason to do the fights capped? Are the rewards different? O.o (I suppose maintaining the design integrity of the original fight is something, but...eh.)
Challenge

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god, the whole ending MSQ quest. What a fucking ride. Heavensward has been topped and stomped into the ground. It's bloody amazing.

I don't know anymore, this game might just be my GOTY.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I've never touched Materia melding till now.

Why can't I use the NPC in Eulmore? Is there a quest I need to do first?
There's a goblin in Central Thanalan, north of Black Brush Station that has a quest to unlock materia stuff. I'm not sure it's just for crafters or if the chain starts there. I seem to recall something starting in the market place of Ul'Dah, but might be thinking of desynthesis.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed they seem to be walking back a lot of the Ul'dah stuff, which was a stunning finale. Now Nanamo is alive, and actually Ilberd just said he killed her to rile you up general, and also you're reinstated. Meh. Status quo restored minus an arm it appears. Hoping it has a swerve in store for me.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finally got up to the Lv 77 Dungeon. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow.

As much as I've felt that the solo duties have been getting better since ARR, this one was quite dull IMO (speaking purely in terms of the gameplay). The fight itself between Thancred and Ran'jit isn't difficult, but just very tedious. Ran'jit basically repeats the same 5 or moves through the entire fight with very obvious AOE's, but since you do such a small amount of damage, it just feels like it keeps dragging on. The only tension was making sure I didn't make a silly mistake and die, because I certainly didn't want to restart from the beginning.

And while I get that they don't want to overwhelm you with a bunch of new GNB skills for those of us not playing the class, the moveset itself wasn't particularly interesting. I'm sure GNB is a fun class with the full kit, but this just didn't make a great first impression IMO (though I didn't know if all the skills they gave were GNB skills or if some were made just for Thancred).

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the game started super strong but from Level 76 the game has been very drawn out. I'm in the final zone and the game has definitely outstayed it's welcome and killed all pacing. I'm hoping the actual finale makes up for it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the game started super strong but from Level 76 the game has been very drawn out. I'm in the final zone and the game has definitely outstayed it's welcome and killed all pacing. I'm hoping the actual finale makes up for it.

The final area has a really frustrating progression brick wall when the game basically forces you to grind to 80, but AFTER that it kicks into gear for the rest of the story and is great throughout.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed they seem to be walking back a lot of the Ul'dah stuff, which was a stunning finale. Now Nanamo is alive, and actually Ilberd just said he killed her to rile you up general, and also you're reinstated. Meh. Status quo restored minus an arm it appears. Hoping it has a swerve in store for me.

That story carries over to 4.X MSQ

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The final area has a really frustrating progression brick wall when the game basically forces you to grind to 80, but AFTER that it kicks into gear for the rest of the story and is great throughout.
I was at 80 following the 79 trial as I'd done my weeklies for the challenge log. So for me it's just the tempo of the story has really died. But as I say I'm only halfway though the final zone and I've not done the finale.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lol I had the same feeling of bewilderment at the final zone at first. By the end of it, it really comes together.

Status
Not open for further replies.