• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming I'm going to be playing through 2.4, 2.5, 2.55, HW, StB, and ShB in short order, should I save my Poetics or just burn them on the iLvl 120 Ironforge gear?

You might need to do as there is ilevel requirements for some of the 2.4, 2.5, 2.55 instanced content. I wouldn't spend them though until you reach one of those points just to extra sure.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming I'm going to be playing through 2.4, 2.5, 2.55, HW, StB, and ShB in short order, should I save my Poetics or just burn them on the iLvl 120 Ironforge gear?
I'd personally just spend them on the Ironworks gear. It will last you a good chunk of Heavensward (particularly if you augment it), and then you'll likely hit Poetics cap again by the time you hit 60 to purchase Shire gear going into Stormblood, as long as you do roulettes.

Jan 4, 2018
Almost 25... Getting burned out on the amount of "Go talk to NPC, teleport back and talk to this NPC, then teleport back to complete quest" structured MSQs there are in ARR. The only interesting thing that's happened since beating Ifrit was I got to name my Chocobo. Sticking with it because my friends assure me that post-50 is where the meat is but I definitely want to get back to doing anything other than running menial errands for NPCs.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I only just now noticed a lot of the enemies in the Lost City of Amdapor (Hard) are in ShB.... time for some research

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Almost 25... Getting burned out on the amount of "Go talk to NPC, teleport back and talk to this NPC, then teleport back to complete quest" structured MSQs there are in ARR. The only interesting thing that's happened since beating Ifrit was I got to name my Chocobo. Sticking with it because my friends assure me that post-50 is where the meat is but I definitely want to get back to doing anything other than running menial errands for NPCs.

Unfortunately it doesn't really get better until you fight the next primal. Unfortunately the quest for that is the pinnacle of doing dumb fetch quests things to the point where the game makes fun of it. Around that time though is when level gating becomes an issue and you will have to start doing extra dungeons, side quests, FATEs. To keep on pace. 100% worth getting through though.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That level range is also the worst of ARR in regards to that. It's frustrating filler really.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
On first thought I thought this whole raid is gonna be about FF VIII but man the raid has surprised me in how original it is. I'm on the 3rd right now wowwww this is incredible. I wonder what the hell savage will be like buttt I say this every tier and it always ends up somewhat disappointing. Okay so the raid is just VIII references right? Don't think we'll be getting Ultimecia.
Maybe that's who's controlling the mysterious knight we saved and haven't been shown artwork of months before her reveal in game? Maybe there'll be a city cloaked somewhere in The Empty that'll appear now that the countryside is sort of repaired? Maybe some crazy will try to repopulate The Empty with monsters from the moon?

Okay, those last two are kinda nuts but you know.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. I decided to take the plunge and try out FFXIV. I picked up the complete pack w/ all the expansions w/ a friend. We're on Coeurl server, Crystal datacenter. Looks like we chose the wrong place to play with Era, but the other data centers were pretty full :(

I made a Conjurer. I'm excited to join the community and see what the FFXIV hype is all about!

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game improves massively after 50, but that aspect of the game does not change. Best not to expect a whole new game at 50. It's the same but better.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. I decided to take the plunge and try out FFXIV. I picked up the complete pack w/ all the expansions w/ a friend. We're on Coeurl server, Crystal datacenter. Looks like we chose the wrong place to play with Era, but the other data centers were pretty full :(

I made a Conjurer. I'm excited to join the community and see what the FFXIV hype is all about!
Welcome!
Enjoy the game!
Don't be discouraged on the boring bits (ARR has a few, post-ARR is... a slog), the good parts make it more than worth it!

You also picked a great class to be, for where things currently stand.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda weird that it's MNK, SAM, and WHM that share Eden gear. I like it though. It's pretty. Of course tanks get ugly bulky armor though.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
My experience today with E2 when those markers hit AFTER the stack marker, but before stack bomb hits goes a little bit like

tenor.gif

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
they outdid themselves with eden, really. the fights aren't really hard on normal, but they are still fun to do. delta was boring quickly, but this is gonna be a good time every week. also the voidwalker armor looks great. i hope we can get our hands on that someday

Last edited:

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The true revelation of the expansion was that the Minstrel wasn't really embellishing, but that the WoL just has a really shit memory.

titan being a really buff go-kart instead of a chicken nugget was pretty cool tho

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Haven't cleared e2 so far,

all the different timings one has to be aware of basically was too much for our DF group, and while I did much better than in E1 despite not getting a clear, I am not cutting myself any slack, I'd mess up here and there too, even after getting a grip on it. [/spoiler[

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man. There are all these crazy relic weapon upgrade quests but they're involved and they cap at iLevel 135, looks like. Don't bother?

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Ran Eden again with the FC. Unfortunately no dice on the E4 roll for the house. Seeing people get blasted off the edge had me in tears the whole run though.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
All of Eden has been great so far, but Eden 3 was amazing. Have to go out with the fam for dinner but definitely looking forward to the last floor when I get home.

All of us in DF were new and just got BLASTED by the second tremor that takes out the middle floor and had a really good laugh about it when we realized what happened. What a damn troll.

Exodist

Oct 30, 2017
Finish the Eden raid, man that was fantastic. Loved all the fights but I especially liked the second, really cool ideas and mechanics going on, Savage version got me pretty worried.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Finished all of the Eden content via Duty Finder. Lots of fun, but easier than expected. Thought it would be something like Coil. Perhaps Eden Savage will be more like it.

We can only loot each boss once per week, right?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a target gcd with dancer? Mine's gone up to 2.47 with innocence accessories and that seems too high?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Man. There are all these crazy relic weapon upgrade quests but they're involved and they cap at iLevel 135, looks like. Don't bother?

At this point only do them if you want a pretty weapon. The ones from Stormblood needed you to go in Eureka, a series of instanced zones, and grind a bunch with other people and that is likely completely dead until they give it some big nerfs and Shadow Bringers has been out a while.

You're better off just getting the Poetic Tome weapons for levels 50, 60 or 70) and upgrading them (materials also from the tome vendors) they should last until quite deep into each expansion by which time you'd likely get a dungeon drop or quest reward to replace it when it stops being good enough.

Relics are really only worth it for glamour, if there is one you relaly like you can go back to it and grind it out, they aren't tooooooo hard to get, just take time and now it's easy to unsync the required dungeons and trials and just burn through them. But even then, takes a while.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finished all of the Eden content via Duty Finder. Lots of fun, but easier than expected. Thought it would be something like Coil. Perhaps Eden Savage will be more like it.

Normal mode content is designed to be easy and puggable through the DF. It's definitely a step below what coil was intended to be during ARR.

And yes, one piece of loot per boss per week.

Related note, but I really enjoyed E4. Fun learning process getting to grips with the mechanics.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome!
Enjoy the game!
Don't be discouraged on the boring bits (ARR has a few, post-ARR is... a slog), the good parts make it more than worth it!

You also picked a great class to be, for where things currently stand.
What I've done so far has been pretty boilerplate fetch quest type of stuff, but it's been fine because I'm getting used to the controls and learning how things work. I'm both amazed that the PS4 controller works as well as it does for an MMO, while simultaneously baffled by Ui things that make me go "how did anyone think this was ok?" XD

The story is fine so far. I didn't expect much from the beginning since I've heard that it takes until the expansions to get good. So far it's pretty standard "become the local hero, meet important people, get sent to do the important people's errands" with a little "ooooh mystery, hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge" sprinkled in.

Last edited:

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Savage will be closer to what you're looking for. Difficulty tends to be a step up from the extreme primals there, whereas normal mode raids are significantly easier than extreme primals.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the only bad thing about this game when you're first starting out is that at lower levels, as soon as you get a cool set of armor that matches, you go right back to looking like a clown.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I like the Scouting gear from this tier of Eden. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting the dyable version in two years.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Everything I did since reaching heavwnsward is starting new secondary classes and not progressing the story lol. Everything's a lot of fun and there's so much to do!

Does squenix usually announce sales for mounts and stuff, and are they happening regularly? I really need that fat kitty :3

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, no one at all queing or PF for E2 which is a bummer since that's the last Body Piece I need for the week. Understandable and just my luck I'd lose lot on that one specifically.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It goes dungeons<story trials<story raids<<extreme trials<<<<savage raids<<<<<<<<ultimate trials in terms of difficulty.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What I've done so far has been pretty boilerplate fetch quest type of stuff, but it's been fine because I'm getting used to the controls and learning how things work. I'm both amazed that the PS4 controller works as well as it does for an MMO, while simultaneously baffled by Ui things that make me go "who did anyone think this was ok?" XD

The story is fine so far. I didn't expect much from the beginning since I've heard that it takes until the expansions to get good. So far it's pretty standard "become the local hero, meet important people, get sent to do the important people's errands" with a little "ooooh mystery, hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge" sprinkled in.
That does sum things up pretty much.
The biggest thing of the UI to get used to is the map. Which was more less intuitive before Stormblood even, lol

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay hit the the credits at the end of ARR patch content. I actually throughly enjoyed almost all the patch content, Good King Moggle Mog - may he reign forever in death - aside. I can't believe how much I thoroughly loved playing this game when I was damn sure "MMOs are not for me" and "I won't like the combat". Story is brilliant so far and the Scions are great characters, especially Alphinaud. About to be able to jump into Heavensward so I can't wait to see what the game brings next.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
E3 and E4 felt a little underwhelming. E4 specifically didn't feel like how a last floor should. The music and arenas were meh to me and obviously
the fact that they're not *really* new
didn't help either.

Mechanically they're at least interesting enough.

E1 is glorious though.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
E3 and E4 felt a little underwhelming. E4 specifically didn't feel like how a last floor should. The music and arenas were meh to me and obviously
the fact that they're not *really* new
didn't help either.

Mechanically they're at least interesting enough.

E1 is glorious though.

E3 is really boring and I thought E4 was just okay. I'm not sure why everyone is excited about E4.....

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They should really make Hyosho Ranryu activate off of Fuma Shuriken's mudra instead of Hyoton's. The animation is already just a bunch of giant shurikens, so it makes a lot of sense and would make things so much easier

Ooooh boy, I was not ready for the voice changes at the start of Heavensward.

It's a real adjustment, but I think the VA is overall much better after the switch, and it's only been getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.