• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Since I finished the MSQ today and have the five 430 job gear items, what is the fastest and easiest way to get to 430 overall for the extremes?

lvl 80 dungeons drop 430 gear + tomes you can use to purchase 440 gear. Eden which you unlock at 425 also drops mats you can use to purchase 450 iirc (though they are locked to weekly drops)

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
On first thought I thought this whole raid is gonna be about FF VIII but man the raid has surprised me in how original it is. I'm on the 3rd right now wowwww this is incredible. I wonder what the hell savage will be like buttt I say this every tier and it always ends up somewhat disappointing. Okay so the raid is just VIII references right? Don't think we'll be getting Ultimecia.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
8RvZexR.jpg

WE FAAAAAAAAALL.

Finally got my AF. It's the homestretch now.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like some tiers are just them just flexing their arms over how much they improved. Free from the shackles of 1.0

Naru

May 11, 2019
lvl 80 dungeons drop 430 gear + tomes you can use to purchase 440 gear. Eden which you unlock at 425 also drops mats you can use to purchase 450 iirc (though they are locked to weekly drops)
Ok thanks, I forgot about the level 80 dungeons lol ... I can't do roulettes these days. I got burned out doing them before. Twice actually. And I can't stand how mind-numbingly boring most of the old content is. So I guess I have to crawl my way to the tomes slowly again I guess.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Is the Era FC good? Genuine question. Wondering if it's worth moving to play with Era folks. Looking to probably do Eden and levels some alts and such, nothing crazy. The FC is was in was totally dead when I resubbed a few weeks ago.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Where do I get the SCH AF? I finished the healer rolequest and I thought I would get it by then.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Ok thanks, I forgot about the level 80 dungeons lol ... I can't do roulettes these days. I got burned out doing them before. Twice actually. And I can't stand how mind-numbingly boring most of the old content is. So I guess I have to crawl my way to the tomes slowly again I guess.

Expert roulette takes you through one of the lvl 80 dungeons while giving you a good amount of tomes so you're killing two stones with that. Trial and normal raid takes like 2 minutes and are worth it from the amount of tomes you get.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Always welcome to come join us in MOG if you want we are fairly active and we have a joint linkshell with DOOM another FC so there are lots of people doing things.
Mind if I hit you up on that also? The FC me and a dragoon friend was in imploded last weekend and we are looking for a new one. Also on sargatanas.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah, the Keen Edge combo needs a revert. Blasting Zone sounds muffled as well.

The AoE and Gnashing Fang combos sound better though. Fated Circle doesn't sound anemic anymore.

Heh.
Yeah those sound fine but the explosions have way too much falloff and need to be sudden with a sharp falloff.

The explosions right now sound like a wave or something.

I just miss the slicing sounds, now I feel like a Gunblader beating things with the side of the blade instead of slicing through. Just give me old slices with new explosions if people really need it to be that ridiculous.

#GunBatterSquad now

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, and that's one of my biggest problem with recent mmo ( at least compared to what I experienced with ff11 ), the "fast" gameplay almost doesn't allow communication. We would need in-game voice chat to have any hope of more interesting interaction with random player... but we all know it would be opening a pandora box, and need heavy moderation.
I don't think more chat in dungeons would do 14 many favors, people are very social in towns in this game, especially limsa, so it's not that hard to meet people, it' sjust hard to become friends from like, a dungeon. The FC recruitment and application process is pretty active too, so most servers don't make it hard to find an FC. I know almost all of my FF friends are from my FC, which was just a random "hey join my FC" I got from someone I barely knew.

Oct 31, 2017
Are AI companions only for certain missions, and only for the Shadowbringers expansion? If so, has there been any hint at this feature being implemented for pre-SB content? Thanks y'all

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Are AI companions only for certain missions, and only for the Shadowbringers expansion? If so, has there been any hint at this feature being implemented for pre-SB content? Thanks y'all

It's only for main story dungeons in Shadowbringers. They've been asked about it but they haven't commited to anything yet because it's a whole lot of work.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's only for main story dungeons in Shadowbringers. They've been asked about it but they haven't commited to anything yet because it's a whole lot of work.

Considering how good the AI is at dodging mechanics, I can't imagine how much work went into it. Perhaps the characters' actions are just scripted to do things in a set order, but if that IS the case they make it look pretty flawless.

I HOPE they implement it for older dungeons and post-MSQ content but I don't expect them to.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how good the AI is at dodging mechanics, I can't imagine how much work went into it. Perhaps the characters' actions are just scripted to do things in a set order, but if that IS the case they make it look pretty flawless.

I HOPE they implement it for older dungeons and post-MSQ content but I don't expect them to.

Ultimately I can't imagine they will do it for too much. They don't want to completely remove the need to party up with players.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
For all the shit I still give FFXI, you actually had a linkshell (FC) community in that game. Whenever someone hit a progression checkpoint the warhorn was blown and everyone came charging. These days I ask for LS/FC help when I don't even need it just to remind myself what people's characters look like, lol.

Last night I hit Innocence and asked in LS (which is basically our FC) for help and we got a full party going, it was awesome. 3 tanks too and dominated.

This was also the case back in FFXI because the game didn't just auto-group things together and the structure of most of the content completely varied from thing to thing, so the amount of people, and the jobs required, were always different, which made finding and keeping with a community incredibly important. FFXIV does great things with how it's built around the duty-finder but it's a huge shame to me that it has minimal overworld content and practically nothing that requires FC cooperation outside of, like, the Diadem. It can be an incredibly lonely game because so many people explicitly prefer playing it as a single-player experience and actively resent when the game tries to push people to work together in any way (see: Eureka).

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
You already have Trust for older content sort of, by running Squadron Command Missions. Some dungeons up to level 50 are able to be run with AI companions, which is one of the fastest way to level DPS classes and a great way to get practice when starting out tanking/healing.

I also found out Squadrons NPC's provide more dps than the Trust system.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Coming back to this after about a year and a half and, man, I'm kind of not a fan of how AST is now. Cards feel super bland, which was the main draw to me. It was neat feeling like a corsair-healer. Still looking forward to jumping into the new content though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You already have Trust for older content sort of, by running Squadron Command Missions. Some dungeons up to level 50 are able to be run with AI companions, which is one of the fastest way to level DPS classes and a great way to get practice when starting out tanking/healing.

I also found out Squadrons NPC's provide more dps than the Trust system.

How do you get Squadron Missions anyway? Does that involve being promoted beyond Second (GC) Lieutenant rank? I never figured out how to do that.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Done with Eden normal 1-4

SPOILERS

So it is looking like we will fight the First versions of every primal? It is amazing how connected to the MSQ this is.... and the FF VIII music doesn't feel right with it, imo. Eden does resemble the FF VIII Eden tho which is cool but we've had no FF VIII original bosses. Hell, Titan is not even in VIII. It is kinda weird.

And yeah savage might be cool for sure! But I feel this tier's last 2 fights were a bit weak for me PERSONALLY. Reasons why is because
We already had a very hard Titan fight in Uwu... why not do something new? Levi fight was a bit boring to me personally and I hate Levi's theme anyway.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
One thing I hate about semi complex fights blindly is an embarrassement I suffer as I figure it out.

See, I am not good at video games, and I need a bit of time to get a grasp on what is happening, and when i make mistakes I get distracted by them and do worse at upcoming mechanics, and so I end up like, being really bad. I start doing fine after a bit, when i remember what when and why, but nobody's gonna remember "oh he did fine near the end". it's the first impression of "He died again lol" that sticks ;o;

Unclear mechanics also don't help. i cleared first fight, but I still don't know what to do about black markers. Everyone in my party just runs out of them like normal, and I am like "ok I leave the marker now then" but I get boucned... and like WTF. everyone walked fine, but I get bounced? and if I try to ask, I just get cold silence cuz "who cares about that dumb ass that keeps dying". [/spoiler[

scy

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I hate about semi complex fights blindly is an embarrassement I suffer as I figure it out.

See, I am not good at video games, and I need a bit of time to get a grasp on what is happening, and when i make mistakes I get distracted by them and do worse at upcoming mechanics, and so I end up like, being really bad. I start doing fine after a bit, when i remember what when and why, but nobody's gonna remember "oh he did fine near the end". it's the first impression of "He died again lol" that sticks ;o;

Unclear mechanics also don't help. i cleared first fight, but I still don't know what to do about black markers. Everyone in my party just runs out of them like normal, and I am like "ok I leave the marker now then" but I get boucned... and like WTF. everyone walked fine, but I get bounced? and if I try to ask, I just get cold silence cuz "who cares about that dumb ass that keeps dying". [/spoiler[

It's (spoilers for E1N):
You're just waiting too long before moving. Pretty much every mechanic in the game snapshots positioning when the cast completes so you can just start walking back in once you see the cast finish / the animation start rather than waiting for the animation to resolve. The exception to this is pretty rare so it generally applies to everything in the game.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Got my machinist to 50 and I'm not sure it's just not clicking. Don't want to go back to my warrior so trying out Dark Knight. Wasn't to keen on trying out another tank since I have tank anxiety but it seems interesting.

edit* If tank anxiety wins out I may try dragoon but starting from lvl 1 isn't very appealing.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
It's (spoilers for E1N):
You're just waiting too long before moving. Pretty much every mechanic in the game snapshots positioning when the cast completes so you can just start walking back in once you see the cast finish / the animation start rather than waiting for the animation to resolve. The exception to this is pretty rare so it generally applies to everything in the game.

Yeah, I looked it up. In my defence, as RDM I was probably losing precious second finishing up my cassts without realizing, and 200+ping meant my team mates were probably walking out of it FASTER than it looked on my screen.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Cleared Eden normal. Really fun, especially the last fight. Absolutely love the music. Got a 450 helmet so far.

Now onto the bad.

What the fuck did SE do to Gunbreaker's audio? I cleared Eden as a DRK so I didn't notice, but I did a few kills on Innocence as GNB and I hated it. I felt like I was smacking him with a plastic bat. What the shit?

AWFUL

Edit: At least the explosions on Fated Circle and stuff sound nicer, but I hate the basic 123 combo now.

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

I got duty finder roulette into a fight I haven't done in like a year and a half+. Ran off the edge on mistake when someone was running an aoe towards me. Didn't click the button to not get possessed or something and died. Finally the 3rd when the stacking thing popped up I was the only one to stack with the healer so we both died. After then they said "don't raise the bard". Sometimes you just have a bad day 😭. Thankfully, the healer stuck up for me and said I was the only one to stack on them.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing last week and got an arcanist up to 25 on Exodus, but now that Ultros is no longer congested I think I'll create another character on Ultros so I can start over and join the Era FC.

That said... as a brand new player I'm a bit overwhelmed. Is the recommended path to stick with the MSQs? I'm curious about crafting/gathering but I don't even know where to start with those. I'm reading through one of the beginner's guides on Reddit but the amount of content (especially as a WoW player, haha) is still overwhelming!

Stick to msq, most of the stuff in the game is locked behind it. Use this list if you get lost unlocking stuff not tied to msq:

As for crafting/gathering, botanist (gridania) and miner (Ul'dah) are the easiest classes to pick up. Basically grab a tool and chop some trees/smash some rocks. I'd wait though till you at least get your chocobo from msq so it doesn't feel like a drag getting to each node.
How's end game Stormblood duty finder on Primal dataserver? I tried to do Return to Ivalice and High end trials but no luck finding a party.
Ivalice is in alliance roulette so it shouldn't be too hard to get into it if you're not a tank. No one uses df for extreme trials though, everyone use Party Finder for them and for stormblood most runs will likely be unsynced now.

Is the Era FC good? Genuine question. Wondering if it's worth moving to play with Era folks. Looking to probably do Eden and levels some alts and such, nothing crazy. The FC is was in was totally dead when I resubbed a few weeks ago.
It's pretty active right now, peaked around 130+ online members during launch day and the lowest I've seen it since then was ~50. Will likely die down a bit in the coming months as people unsub after finishing msq, it gets somewhat dead during the second year after an expansion till the month before the new one but that tends to apply to the whole game.

As for running content with fc members, you likely won't find many if any fc savage runs but you'll get people to join you on normal runs right now that it's fresh. Also tons of people are leveling alts so everyone is always looking for that healer queue carry. Ultimately it's a big fc though so it is what you make out of it. If you're using fc chat and jumping in when people ask for help, you'll likely find others willing to do the same when you need it. But if you're silent and only pop in when you need something, you might not get as many biters.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a huge FFVIII fan, so without spoiling much, besides the gunbreaker class, how much FFVIII nostalgia can I expect from Shadowbringers?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The second stage (the Descent, iirc) may be my favorite instance of anything they've done in a long time. The time-delayed AoE mechanic, the untethered gaze mechanic... spectacular stuff that I want to see basically put into everything going forward.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming I'm going to be playing through 2.4, 2.5, 2.55, HW, StB, and ShB in short order, should I save my Poetics or just burn them on the iLvl 120 Ironforge gear?

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
You gonna drop this without mentioning the gear pieces name ? Rude

Everything is the outsider gear glamoured onto whatever I have, minus the legs and arms which are the deepgold gloves of fending, and deepgold sollerets of fending. the gun is the titanbronze bayonet with regal purple dye

Assuming I'm going to be playing through 2.4, 2.5, 2.55, HW, StB, and ShB in short order, should I save my Poetics or just burn them on the iLvl 120 Ironforge gear?

You'll max them out fairly quickly, so spend them when you need them, or if you wanna buy gear for a future class you plan to level.

Status
Not open for further replies.