• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering at 80 is all of Coil soloable as a black mage kinda want to clear it just to have all the scenes it be all completed.

There are a few floors you won't be able to solo due to mechanics or the amount of damage you'll face solo. Try creating a PF for those, there are always people looking to clear their Khloe's logs.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just due to high player load, if you can get in off peak hours you should be good.

Shadowbringers' popularity seems to have blown past SE's server expectations, though, so it's been kinda gridlocked since release. e.g. I have a character and I've hit a log-in queue 80% of the time I've logged in, at all kinds of hours.
So I've started leveling a character on Gilgamesh that I made a long time ago, playing through Shadowbringers made me realize I've forgotten most of ARR and HW so I felt I should go through it again, my character is also in a holding pattern until raids after having gotten all the ex gear, so I really just do roulettes on it, It also has the added benefit of allowing me to practice savage in pugs when that releases so I don't screw my static out of a drop.

Anyways Gilgamesh(one of the largest servers in the game) has had shorter que times than my main's server (Famfrit) I wonder if that has to do with being only one of 3 primal servers not congested.
Up to lvl 13 and they can def improve a lot of things
Chocobo rides need to connect to every major quest center, just silly af making me mindlessly walk
Most of these quests can be cut. Counting boards? Really? Cut em and increase the XP given by other quests
More of these MSQ scenes need to be voiced (not even the intro quest is voiced (on the ship) ) and your character might as well be voiced since there's no player choice.
Pretty much all of this changes the further you go in the game, by the time you get to ShB there's very few filler quests, virtually every single cutscene is fully voiced and there are a ton of player choice options.

Remember, you are playing through 6 year old content, and early game definitely shows its age.

Also once you get your mount, porters stop being very important.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think most people complaining about Vesper Bay travel time are still getting there via Horizon aetheryte like a chump
I didn't learn about it after I finished ARR. I am a chump
Eh honestly it's the same time, at least you auto chocobo there and make a quick sandwich for the meantime lol

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cleared all Patch 2.2 content today. I decided to plunge all the way through 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, and Heavensward. It's weird because the hype around Shadowbringers was what got me back into the game, but it's going to be a long time, I think, before I actually experience it.

-Unless I'm insane, Dragoon abilities have definitely changed? I remember there being two wholly separate 3-part combos, but now there are two combos that share the same opener.

- 2.2 content was mostly trash. Leviathan Hard was kinda cool, but very easy, at least for current players.

- How should I approach gear, right now? I had Wyrm gear (iLvl 90) from when I used to play, and the 2.2 MSQ gave me some iLvl 90 items for free. I get the sense I shouldn't bother grinding for Allagan stuff because I'm just going to naturally obtain much more powerful stuff via progression.

- And on that note, should I bother clearing the dungeons that were released in these patches, like Brayflox (Hard) and stuff? (And Leviathan EX?) I think you get a big first-time completion Allagan bonus, but I don't know if those are relevant anymore, and I'm more keen on progressing on to Heavensward, I think.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I am level 78 to give you an idea where I am in the story but so far I am totally with

Emet-Selch's way of thinking when it comes to the rejoining etc. IF he tells the truth. Especially the:

ffxiv-dx11-2019-07-13-21-15-01-cr.png

This story is really something else. They outdid themselves this time.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleared all Patch 2.2 content today. I decided to plunge all the way through 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, and Heavensward. It's weird because the hype around Shadowbringers was what got me back into the game, but it's going to be a long time, I think, before I actually experience it.

-Unless I'm insane, Dragoon abilities have definitely changed? I remember there being two wholly separate 3-part combos, but now there are two combos that share the same opener.

- 2.2 content was mostly trash. Leviathan Hard was kinda cool, but very easy, at least for current players.

- How should I approach gear, right now? I had Wyrm gear (iLvl 90) from when I used to play, and the 2.2 MSQ gave me some iLvl 90 items for free. I get the sense I shouldn't bother grinding for Allagan stuff because I'm just going to naturally obtain much more powerful stuff via progression.

- And on that note, should I bother clearing the dungeons that were released in these patches, like Brayflox (Hard) and stuff? (And Leviathan EX?) I think you get a big first-time completion Allagan bonus, but I don't know if those are relevant anymore, and I'm more keen on progressing on to Heavensward, I think.
You won't get better stuff from normal play than poetic gear(at 50,60 and 70) so just buy the Ironworks gear cuz that'll last you halfway through HW

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to try out healer for the first time yesterday! It was... stressful and I was super nervous, but people are so kind >_<
Playing astrologian, though I've heard they're a bit in a bad spot compared to the others at the moment. Anyone have some general healer pointers?

Yep, it changed with ShB. Previously there was two separate ones (one for power, one for debuffs basically). Now they both share the same opener, with the previous piercing debuff being changed to a % damage buff. Another change is how you gain eyes from jumps as only the normal jump grants it now, but you only need two jumps instead of three. Dragon sight can also be used on yourself now! Overall, I'd say dragoon feels really smooth to play as now and we seem to be an AoE monster now.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Can I change class while on duty finder to level up my gatherer? Because I just did that and then the group was empty again. Before that I already found two other players. But maybe that was a coincidence and the other guys left the duty finder?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Can I change class while on duty finder to level up my gatherer? Because I just did that and then the group was empty again. Before that I already found two other players. But maybe that was a coincidence and the other guys left the duty finder?

Yes it was just coincidence you can change classes no problem while queued in the Duty Finder, it will ask you to change back to your registered class after a group was found before you can accept.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I finished a realm reborn yesterday and patch 2.1. Almost done with 2.2, these quests are awful and I'm trying so hard to get to the first expansion. I would tell my friend to buy the story skip but hes only around level 30 something and it doesnt boost you to 50 so that sucks.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Do we really need a beast tribe that is crafting and gathering focused?

I mean, the old custom deliveries from Stormblood and the new ones in the Crystarium will make it so easy to reach max level. Not to mention all the levequests, which is more or less a non-combat activity nowadays.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
How is RDM for end game? I'm thinking about dropping my SMN for one, but I want to make sure it's not like bottom tier or anything.

Edit: Also I was planning on using SCH as my healer, but I've already dropped it for WHM so I don't really have a good reason to level up SMN anymore.

Edit 2: Is there anywhere to see the current "best Job" choices?

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
I finished a realm reborn yesterday and patch 2.1. Almost done with 2.2, these quests are awful and I'm trying so hard to get to the first expansion. I would tell my friend to buy the story skip but hes only around level 30 something and it doesnt boost you to 50 so that sucks.

For someone who is thinking about starting this because of all the praise on the story, is the beginning really that bad? Am I going to have a horrible time for awhile before it starts to get good?

Gaston

Oct 28, 2017
For someone who is thinking about starting this because of all the praise on the story, is the beginning really that bad? Am I going to have a horrible time for awhile before it starts to get good?

There is just this long sequence of level 50 quests that came out in post-release patches that are just garbage fetch quests and the like. And there's a lot of them. They add nothing and are honestly a chore to get through. The little bit of story you get during it is decent, but most of it is 'go perfume this Chocobo'

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
It can get a little long and there are definitive droughts in the initial story, but it was never that bad imo. In fact back when A Realm Reborn (2.0) released everyone loved the story, especially toward the end. It was just the patch story (2.1 - 2.5) consisted of some filler until Heavensward came along and it's story was even better.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Ugh, I'm under 430 for ilevel. I wonder if eden requirements will be higher than even that. i remember being able to join right away during first phase of Omega Normal, and I definitely didn't farm any Ex trials for better gear at that time. in fact, I didn't even do any of em.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Titania Ex for the first time earlier...

and while I am very happy, this hurts:

mXgKlQt.jpg
It's really bad that I feel more comfortable rolling in the 80s than the low mid 90s for something because when I roll in the low/mid 90s I almostalways get beat.
That's why I turn off other people's rolls. I don't want to know what they got to beat my roll, keeps me from feeling salty.
It doesn't matter if I see the roll or not If I roll a 94 and don't get the item I know.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
I am currently slogging thru it still now being level 30 and yeah.... it's super boring to be honest. Most of the story quests are literally, talk to this person, now go to this person, then talk to to this person and repeat over and over again. But don't let that stop you from playing, everything else in game is really neat and thankfully just have to do these missions once. The dungeons are fun and knowing that it all gets better come the first expansion in my opinion, make it worth a try.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Ugh, I'm under 430 for ilevel. I wonder if eden requirements will be higher than even that. i remember being able to join right away during first phase of Omega Normal, and I definitely didn't farm any Ex trials for better gear at that time. in fact, I didn't even do any of em.
Definitely will be. If we use SB as a reference, Deltascape normal was 295, 5 ilvl higher than the free armor you got from the job quest. Following that, Eden normal would be 435. That only requires running the 80 dungeons a few times to get 430 accessories and buying a ring, a weapon and a belt iirc. Might need one more accessory, but overall you can be done pretty quick with 1st time bonus+expert roulettes, without any EX primal(EX primals would speed up the process a fair bit).

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
man, for 2 days now i am experiencing issues with packet loss, making dungeons extremely uncomfortable to play. worst thing is, after googling it seems there is not much i can do and it has to do with their server host?

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
man, for 2 days now i am experiencing issues with packet loss, making dungeons extremely uncomfortable to play. worst thing is, after googling it seems there is not much i can do and it has to do with their server host?
I had these problems the last two expansions HW I ended up changing my IP I eventually went back due to the original being faster then it happened with SB but it passed on it's own.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey just did the first Alliance raid and that was real fucking neat. Being able to steamroll through there was great.

Jan 4, 2018
Finally starting to get more involved in the story and so things are picking up but now I can't get over how goofy my character looks. I have a dumb appearance and name and now I can't take it seriously whenever I'm the center of attention, lol

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Finally starting to get more involved in the story and so things are picking up but now I can't get over how goofy my character looks. I have a dumb appearance and name and now I can't take it seriously whenever I'm the center of attention, lol

I always wonder when I see people with dumb names if they regret naming their character dumb things.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess my thought process was thinking that the citizens are refugees trying to escape the plight of the First, and Eulmore being a first world country trying to enforce their borders by only letting in refugees based on merit (i.e. "Why aren't we getting people from Denmark instead of these shithole countries" - Trump).

Basically a much bigger superpower doling out paltry refugee aid (Meol) so they can pretend to be benevolent even though they're just sifting through the crowd only looking for those they deem useful.

Basically, yes. I don't know if it was intentional, but the parallels are absolutely there and impossible to miss.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So with the rolls, for things like cosmetics do you roll need? I always worry I am going to do it wrong so always roll greed.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So with the rolls, for things like cosmetics do you roll need? I always worry I am going to do it wrong so always roll greed.
If you want them you need. You can only need on gear for your job, for the rest you can only greed. There's no wrong way, unless specifically stated in party finder parties you roll need.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you want them you need. You can only need on gear for your job, for the rest you can only greed. There's no wrong way, unless specifically stated in party finder parties you roll need.
Thanks, now I need to decide if I should go with Samurai or Black Mage for Heavensward and onwards, both are level 52.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
How is RDM for end game? I'm thinking about dropping my SMN for one, but I want to make sure it's not like bottom tier or anything.

Edit: Also I was planning on using SCH as my healer, but I've already dropped it for WHM so I don't really have a good reason to level up SMN anymore.

Edit 2: Is there anywhere to see the current "best Job" choices?

I really like RDM after BLM and it's very calming to play up to lvl 80. I would say it's avg like nothing super amazing but I like the playstyle.

Tier lists are all over the place and just play what you think is fun.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man gearing up in the post game is the least fun part of FFXIV. It starts to feel like work more than anything, logging in to do dailies and stuff. And to think I gotta gear up alts too.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda new to AST, how do you handle big pulls in ShB dungeons?

You pick another job because AST is butt now.

Serious answer? I'd like to know myself. Before you could do some cool shit with like give the tank a really long regen by extending the time of Aspected Benefic and Collective unconscious and then extend your own Lightspeed and Cleric Stance for lots of beautiful Gravity spam. Now all I can think of is setting down the explosion and spamming Gravity.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the Great Serpent of Ronka quests. Been a while since I last laughed a lot with a quest and now I want a plush of our savior.

Status
Not open for further replies.