• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
OK fuck my life, I will buy this. I can't resist anymore. Quick question: I have ARR on PS4 tied to my main email adress. Can I register the Steam Complete Version to the same account and get 30 days of free play or do I need to make a new account? I read conflicting things about this on the interwebs. I could make a new account, but then I have to use another email what kinda sucks.

You can register the Steam complete version to the same account but do not get the 30 days. That's only for new accounts.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
OK fuck my life, I will buy this. I can't resist anymore. Quick question: I have ARR on PS4 tied to my main email adress. Can I register the Steam Complete Version to the same account and get 30 days of free play or do I need to make a new account? I read conflicting things about this on the interwebs. I could make a new account, but then I have to use another email what kinda sucks.
You'll get it. The free 30 days are for registering ARR on a new platform.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
You can register the Steam complete version to the same account but do not get the 30 days. That's only for new accounts.
You'll get it. The free 30 days are for registering ARR on a new platform.
This is resetera.
Anyone who actually DID this and has first-hand experience?

EDIT: This is what I found in the internet on green man gaming (bought my copy direclty off Steam):
Includes 30-day free subscription period for all newly created service accounts. The 30-day free play period included with purchase can only be applied once to each platform on a single service account. This 30-day free play period is not applicable to platforms on which a license has already been registered. User registration and service subscription are required to play the game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This is resetera.

EDIT: This is what I found in the internet on green man gaming (bought my copy direclty off Steam):
Includes 30-day free subscription period for all newly created service accounts. The 30-day free play period included with purchase can only be applied once to each platform on a single service account. This 30-day free play period is not applicable to platforms on which a license has already been registered. User registration and service subscription are required to play the game.

Well the box art literally says 30 days included with the asterisk, "new users only"

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Isn't the 30 days only for account creation? I do not recall getting 30 days when I added PS3 ARR to my account. (I started on PC)
It's per platform, not account. You would get 90 days if you bought for PS4, PC, and Mac. I don't know if it's always worked that way, but that's how the system currently works. There were PS4 players that were registering those ARR Twitch Prime copies to their accounts just for the 30 days

EDIT: I found an article from ARR launch showing that this is how it works: https://www.dualshockers.com/heres-...and-ps3-and-welcome-back-campaign-will-stack/

If you didn't get an extra 30 days when you bought the PS3 version, it was an error

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is resetera.

I am fairly certain I got a free month when I added a Windows key to my PS3->PS4 transfer account. I can't remember though. It was back in Heavensward times.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I dove into the free trial right before Shadowbringers launched and got a character on Goblin. It turns out I forgot I had an old account on steam with a random character on Ultros.
I'm tempted to just get the expansion on steam so I can join the rest of the community members there but I've become attached to my free trial character and the Road to 70 buff. Any advice? Is there any Era presence on Goblin?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's per platform, not account. You would get 90 days if you bought for PS4, PC, and Mac. I don't know if it's always worked that way, but that's how the system currently works. There were PS4 players that were registering those ARR Twitch Prime copies to their accounts just for the 30 days

Huh. I wonder if it changed cause the box art is quite clear:

C80WY6N7zP0cQVOhtdB0ZmUilo.jpg

Having the game on another platform doesn't make you a new user.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
General idea right now is Skill Speed until comfy (~2.40 GCD for most jobs I believe) -> Direct Hit -> Det -> Crit -> Tenacity. Direct Hit is valued very highly because it's an easy stat to get a lot of value from early on.

Is determination really weighted above crit now? Where's this from ?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
This is resetera.

That quote shows my understanding is correct. This 30-day free play period is not applicable to platforms on which a license has already been registered. If you already have ARR on PC, buying a package that includes ARR (like the complete edition) will not give you another 30 days. It will if you do not have ARR on that platform, though. You do not have a PC license, and thus will receive the 30 days.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

C80WY6N7zP0cQVOhtdB0ZmUilo.jpg

What that means is that if you buy Complete Edition to get HW/SB/SHB all at once but already have an ARR account you don't get the 30 days.

However, if you have an account that ONLY has a PS4 retail code registered to it and add a Windows code to it for the first time you get your 30 days because it's a new Windows retail code. You're a new user on the Windows platform even though you already have an S-E account.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

I found an article from ARR launch showing it was the same way back then: https://www.dualshockers.com/heres-...and-ps3-and-welcome-back-campaign-will-stack/

The new user text is referring to someone who owns ARR on that platform. Buying the complete edition when you own ARR will not give you another 30 days, even though the complete edition includes ARR.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is resetera.

I have the collectors edition on PC, bought the game last week on PS4 and got 30 free days with it using the same account as my PC version.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
What that means is that if you buy Complete Edition to get HW/SB/SHB all at once but already have an ARR account you don't get the 30 days.

However, if you have an account that ONLY has a PS4 retail code registered to it and add a Windows code to it for the first time you get your 30 days because it's a new Windows retail code. You're a new user on the Windows platform even though you already have an S-E account.

Man this shit is way more complicated then it needs to be I feel like.

Like so apparently User specifically means platform?

So I have the game on PS4 and PC and so I'm 2 users?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

It means you have two separate licenses, so basically yes in SE's eyes.

I found the support article which definitively states it's once per platform:

"Yes. The 30-day free play period included with purchase can only be applied once to each platform on a single service account. Moreover, this 30-day free play period is not applicable to platforms on which a license has already been registered."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Keep in mind that your cross-platform account has two entire sets of codes. I can play every expansion on PS4 but my PC retail codes only extend through Heavensward so I can't do any SB or ShB content on PC. I can essentially only access the game on my sub-level 60 alt.

Think of it like this: your Square Enix account is a container for retail codes and the cross-platform play allows your character to bounce between the platforms that you've registered codes for. But you have still, as far as the system is concerned, created two accounts: a PS4 account and a PC account. You're just using single sign-on to access them both. Your PC license is different from your PS4 license and as such a new PC retail code being added to an account is a "new user" and is eligible for the 30 free days.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It means you have two separate licenses, so basically yes in SE's eyes.

I found the support article which definitively states it's once per platform:

"Yes. The 30-day free play period included with purchase can only be applied once to each platform on a single service account. Moreover, this 30-day free play period is not applicable to platforms on which a license has already been registered."
Keep in mind that your cross-platform account has two entire sets of codes. I can play every expansion on PS4 but my PC retail codes only extend through Heavensward so I can't do any SB or ShB content on PC.

Think of it like this: your Square Enix account is a container for retail codes and the cross-platform play allows your character to bounce between the platforms. But you have still, as far as the system is concerned, created two accounts: a PS4 account and a PC account. You're just using single sign-on to access them both.

This makes sense.

Feels like they should have had it just say: "30 Free Days Included for First Time Platform Registration"

To me, that removes ambiguity if you a person doesn't quite understand the context of which SE is referring to the term "user"

Edit: Also it does seem I did get that month from buying the PS3 version. Cause I noticed May 2014, a month after I bought the PS3 version to get the free PS4 copy, there was no sub charge. Which I didn't unsub at that time.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah phase 1 had it. I feel like that entire phase 1 theme isn't exclusive to Shinryu thought. I'm trying to remember where but I feel like it's played before.
Well, I know it was the music played during the introduction cutscene of Shinryu and Omega, at the end of the HW post-release patches.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
This makes sense.

Feels like they should have had it just say: "30 Free Days Included for First Time Platform Registration"

To me, that removes ambiguity if you a person doesn't quite understand the context of which SE is referring to the term "user"
Probably should, but I'd imagine SE doesn't care considering it's a non-issue for the large majority of the player base who only uses one platform

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been yelled at for even using it to activate Divine Veil, lol. Some healers just saw it as an insult, and not the tank creating space for them to DPS more, or when TP was a thing, a "whoops the DPS can't kill all of this fast enough and I'm out of TP, so I should probably create some healing aggro instead of just standing here like a dumbass" utility.

Mysteriously, veil never pops otherwise. 🤔

SCHs, I understand. I try to avoid it, lol.
There's a difference between using it when it's actually useful and spamming it every time your hp falls below 50% which is what annoys me

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Innocence down. That was so much easier than Titania. Thank god.

It's just like Heavensward all over again, the first trial is way harder than the other ones.

I'm very confused by Emet-Selch's motivation right now, though. A couple of cutscenes ago he was talking like he knows the WoL somehow ("you don't remember this, but..."), and now he's acting like they're a lost cause? I didn't expect him to give up so quickly...unless this is all part of his plan too.

Glad to hear that. I just did the first trial yesterday and will forever have nightmares of that certain DPS check.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Ok now the thing annoying me is doing MSQ's in ARR and still needing to grind dungeons/FATEs/PotD to get to lvl 38, 39, 40 etc every time the level of the MSQ bumps up. Really takes me out of it.

Probably need to come to grips that I'm not hitting level 50 for a week at least.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys after tanking my acount for an hour because I used the wrong passwords too often I now registrated my Steam copy on the same account that has my PS4 copy. I got the 30 days of gametime.

So the text I quoted and several people approved here is true: The 30 days gametime are per platform, not per account. At least Windows and PS4 are different platforms. The mogry station also lists MAC and Collector's Edition(?!) as their own platforms.

Thanks for all the replies.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok now the thing annoying me is doing MSQ's in ARR and still needing to grind dungeons/FATEs/PotD to get to lvl 38, 39, 40 etc every time the level of the MSQ bumps up. Really takes me out of it.

Probably need to come to grips that I'm not hitting level 50 for a week at least.
Are you doing levelling roulette? because that gets you way more xp, if you do it once a day you'll never need to do the other stuff.

It should be getting you like a full level through most of ARR each time.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Are you doing levelling roulette? because that gets you way more xp, if you do it once a day you'll never need to do the other stuff.

It should be getting you like a full level through most of ARR each time.

I did and I got nearly a full level. But I want to burn through this stuff in a few days because I am impatient to get to the juicy story bits.

But it's all good, I'm going to slow down a bit so I don't get angry at the game. It's been a good experience so far.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys after tanking my acount for an hour because I used the wrong passwords too often I now registrated my Steam copy on the same account that has my PS4 copy. I got the 30 days of gametime.

So the text I quoted and several people approved here is true: The 30 days gametime are per platform, not per account. At least Windows and PS4 are different platforms. The mogry station also lists MAC and Collector's Edition(?!) as their own platforms.

Thanks for all the replies.

Collector's Edition content is separate from the main game code, that way you can upgrade to CE after the fact without buying the whole game again.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Worst thing about ARR slog is how it bring a halt to class progression. Can't get any new abilites until Heavensward. Still have 20 more quests to go zzzz

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel compelled to defend the ARR slog. It's always been a bit of a pain, but it's a totally different experience trying to rush through it to get to Heavensward than playing it at a natural pace when ARR WAS the content. It's definitely worse story wise than Heavensward and Shadowbringers, but exploring the world at a steady pace on release was bliss.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Worst thing about ARR slog is how it bring a halt to class progression. Can't get any new abilites until Heavensward. Still have 20 more quests to go zzzz
Wow at everyone hating on ARR. I am actually looking forward to playing it again. Are the addons really THAT much better? Can't wait to dive back into this game. I underestimated how much I actually miss good Final Fantasy games :/

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With all the praise left and right for ShB, I'm really mad that I still have the whole of StB to go through before I can get there :'(
The absolute worst thing anyone can do is try to rush or skip story to get to the expac. Like I get that it sucks being behind and not being in the zeitgeist but one of the major reasons everyone is so hype about shadowbringers is the context of the last 5 years of story building up and really paying off in this story. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the game. Shadowbringers is going to be relevant for the next two years. Dont rush or feel like your being left out.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The absolute worst thing anyone can do is try to rush or skip story to get to the expac. Like I get that it sucks being behind and not being in the zeitgeist but one of the major reasons everyone is so hype about shadowbringers is the context of the last 5 years of story building up and really paying off in this story. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the game. Shadowbringers is going to be relevant for the next two years. Dont rush or feel like your being left out.
I'm not rushing ;) it's just that I was used to being there day one for WoW expansions, and I was there day one on another account for HW, and I started almost months prior with this account and thought I'd have caught up for the release !

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel compelled to defend the ARR slog. It's always been a bit of a pain, but it's a totally different experience trying to rush through it to get to Heavensward than playing it at a natural pace when ARR WAS the content. It's definitely worse story wise than Heavensward and Shadowbringers, but exploring the world at a steady pace on release was bliss.

I think ppl, me included, kind of accepted 2.0 flaws because after all it was so much better than 1.0. But the weak points didn't stood the test of time. Honestly, I don't think I would be able to replay ARR without hating myself. The game is just much better now.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At some point it will absolutely be necessary to Cataclysm 2.0 to bring it closer to the standard of modern FFXIV. So much fat they could trim. I'm sure it'd help with bringing in new players, too.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When new game plus is introduced I'm gonna take the hit for the team and see what early game is like these days. Right now I remember liked arr alot but acknowledging it was setting things up for later rather then paying off itself. 30 levels of learning lore, the world, and meeting characters who at the time seemed bland.

But the 24 man was alot of fun, hildebrand was great, and I dug the dungeons at the time. 2.x felt like a cover band where I enjoyed hearing my old songs again while 3.0 felt like a new band who I enjoyed (5.0 feels like the band became one of the greats, dude this album is sick!!!)

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
There's alot of ARR I'm enjoying, sure. But some of these fetch quest designs (go to place, go talk to guy, go kill thing for guy, go back to Waking Sands and then two loading screens to Mefilia, then back to place, do some more fetch quests, queue 10 min for a dungeon [which I'm assuming is much shorter than during non-xpac hype week], go back to Menfilia, go to new place, repeat) make me laugh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's alot of ARR I'm enjoying, sure. But some of these fetch quest designs (go to place, go talk to guy, go kill thing for guy, go back to Waking Sands and then two loading screens to Mefilia, then back to place, do some more fetch quests, queue 10 min for a dungeon [which I'm assuming is much shorter than during non-xpac hype week], go back to Menfilia, go to new place, repeat) make me laugh.

It's amazing to me that after all this time they won't just do the right thing...and put an Aetheryte in the damn town where the Waking Sands is.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I dove into the free trial right before Shadowbringers launched and got a character on Goblin. It turns out I forgot I had an old account on steam with a random character on Ultros.
I'm tempted to just get the expansion on steam so I can join the rest of the community members there but I've become attached to my free trial character and the Road to 70 buff. Any advice? Is there any Era presence on Goblin?
I play on Goblin, and I know I've seen one or two other people here mention it, but afaik Ultros is the only organized Era presence.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying what I guess you all are calling ARR way better than other starting zones from other MMOs. NPCs are so much more interactive and there's just a dash of story telling with almost every quest I've done without coming off as nonsensical for whatever it is you have to do.

So of it only gets better from here on. I'm pretty hype.

The only bummed is that I don't have the time to enjoy higher end content with friends. We all started playing yesterday and they are already way ahead of me.

Only way I'll truly get to enjoy these games with people is when I finally retire some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.