• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
That I know and not what I asked. What im curious about is what the rate gain is from your partner. Does it only come when under the 20 second dance?

The monk and Sam in my group are debating. Obviously the monk with a lower gcd would be the preferred partner, but if they only gain esprit under that 20 second buff then I feel like giving that single member 5% buff to a SAM about to triple midare and hissatsu would be a bigger gain than 2 extra Rick's of esprit for the dancer

Apologies! Your question came off more asking what it is to me.

Esprit isn't 100% chance and seems designed so that it can work with the spellcasting classes, so I think there is still testing going on as to whether there is an internal GCD or not limiting how fast you can gain it.

In your group composition I'd go with the SAM for single target fights (your reasoning is sound I believe) but for AOE I'd go with the Monk due to the faster monk attacks + you wanting to AOE more.

Either way, I'd do a lot of your own tests for this because mine have come back as fairly inconclusive so far.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Last area question

I'm up to the part where it wants me to finish a role quest line before continuing the MSQ, the last role quest requires level 80 though and the MSQ is still at 79? So I have to get to 80 before continuing the MSQ basically? Seems like a waste of MSQ exp if so..

You need to hit 80 on your own and finish the role quests first. It's a gate but not the usual one we are used to seeing. The logic makes sense after you see what that quest unlocks. It's just clunky.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
How bad is the trust system is it as bad as doing the company dungeons?

Trusts are smarter than your average duty finder person. They are actually quite good at teaching you a dungeon.

Like squadrons, they do ignore some mechanics simply because they are immune to them.

Great to use for completing the MSQ but annoying to use after that since you have to level them up from 71 yourself by running dungeons over and over with them.

It takes about 6 just to get them to 72, but only after you complete the MSQ. They level with you before that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I give up. Fuck this fight. It's terribly designed and nobody knows the fucking mechanics. I can't keep wiping against the exact same add phase over and over again. It's like Bismarck but with goddamn terrible nightmare music.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Leveling crafters? Oh, my. That is a long, arduous and above all else expensive proposition if you don't level gatherers as well haha

Unlike WoW, however, crafting, gathering and fishing are their own game-in-a-game, with rotations, multiple skills and questlines. At least the actual crafting parts can be macroed.
I'm doing those too. All to 20.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
How bad is the trust system is it as bad as doing the company dungeons?

Trusts are competent, but dps is low. They keep you topped off, healers dps, and they dodge pretty well.

Low dps just comes for minimal amounts of AI abilities and scripts programmed in.

I wouldn't be surprised if they buffed Trust's dps next patch.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. We were winning against Titania and then one of the tanks hit provoke while she was casting Divination Rune and she turned around and vaporized the entire party. Now everyone quit. Amazing.

I fucking hate playing with other people.
Entirely possible that the tank didn't provoke, she doesn't turn during the cast but will turn at the end to her current target.

Titania is a pretty good boss, but you seem to have literally 0 chill or patience, which is PROBABLY also true in the game and does not do anyone any favors.

If you want every boss to be faceroll, don't play until the xpac is almost over and most of the people queueing are max level and have done the bosses.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Entirely possible that the tank didn't provoke, she doesn't turn during the cast but will turn at the end to her current target.

Titania is a pretty good boss, but you seem to have literally 0 chill or patience, which is PROBABLY also true in the game and does not do anyone any favors.

If you want every boss to be faceroll, don't play until the xpac is almost over and most of the people queueing are max level and have done the bosses.

No, they said they used provoke. And it's not that I have no patience, it's that this fucking song is driving me insane and I want to goddamn die after being stuck in this fight for TWO HOURS.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Apologies! Your question came off more asking what it is to me.

Esprit isn't 100% chance and seems designed so that it can work with the spellcasting classes, so I think there is still testing going on as to whether there is an internal GCD or not limiting how fast you can gain it.

In your group composition I'd go with the SAM for single target fights (your reasoning is sound I believe) but for AOE I'd go with the Monk due to the faster monk attacks + you wanting to AOE more.

Either way, I'd do a lot of your own tests for this because mine have come back as fairly inconclusive so far.

Ahhh, so it is only a chance. That changes things. I'm really curious what the math works out to be. It makes sense for the partner to be monk when that Crit/DH buff is up since they will get more use out of it, but at the same time a SAM burning shinten don't have a esprit proc, but have higher potency moves that could benefit from the boost. It could all be a wash anyway if it means the dancer gets their nuke sooner.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DPS are dead once more
Failed this check before
Now we're on the floor
FA-LA-LA-LA-LA

Me: "please use the Caster LB3 in the add phase"
Our RDM:

0OQv23d.png

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
DPS are dead once more
Failed this check before
Now we're on the floor
FA-LA-LA-LA-LA

It's finally goddamn over. It's finally goddamn over. I feel like the song was designed by the gods themselves to torture me.

The worst part was, every time we wiped, it was always because the healers died during the add phase.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's finally goddamn over. It's finally goddamn over. I feel like the song was designed by the gods themselves to torture me.

The worst part was, every time we wiped, it was always because the healers died during the add phase.
I mean, you can mute the song if you hate it that much. I mute it in EX, not because I hate it but because it's just distracting.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if someone like me is coming after not playing for years, is it going to be practical for me to complete old raids (or whatever their equivalent in ffviv, I don't remember) pre-shadowbringdr? Does anyone still play that old content?

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I've been so blessed to be in good parties, I've been main tanking in groups that have one-shot all the MSQ trials with minimal deaths.

Planet Smasher it's entirely possible the OT meant to Provoke and then Shirk and then realized Shirk was on cooldown. Both abilities have different timers with Shirk being a bit longer.

So if someone like me is coming after not playing for years, is it going to be practical for me to complete old raids (or whatever their equivalent in ffviv, I don't remember) pre-shadowbringdr? Does anyone still play that old content?

You can queue up and still get parties for Alexander and Omega but not Bahamut. There are Raid Roulettes which means people will be put into one of those as part of their dailies. Just don't expect them to be patient and explain the mechanics. They're there for the experience or the tomes.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

People do them every day as part of the Alliance and trial roulette. Some may be longer waits than others but you'll be able to get them all done IMO

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's what kills most runs, at least in my experience. New off-tanks will often not realize that not having all the big tree picked up will cause them to go murder the healers, and having all three on one tank is probably going to end in that tank dying.

Everything but Coils (ARR 8 mans) are in the daily roulettes, so they're still active. Coils was made before SE had really figured things out, and the later raids are too difficult to expect DF to clear while synced. You'll need to get a group together manually if you want to do them.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I give up. Fuck this fight. It's terribly designed and nobody knows the fucking mechanics. I can't keep wiping against the exact same add phase over and over again. It's like Bismarck but with goddamn terrible nightmare music.
The fight is not terribly designed something is wrong if you keep wiping to adds, just do them one at a time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The fight is not terribly designed something is wrong if you keep wiping to adds, just do them one at a time.

It wasn't me that was the problem, it's that despite my best efforts to explain basic A-B-C order to the players I was matched with, they did not understand the order in which to focus the adds down, and we kept dying. Believe me, I know what the strategy is.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't me that was the problem, it's that despite my best efforts to explain basic A-B-C order to the players I was matched with, they did not understand the order in which to focus the adds down, and we kept dying. Believe me, I know what the strategy is.
Sounds like you're describing a player problem and not a design problem. I like the fight but I agree people have trouble with it.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started playing a bit yesterday I'm currently level 18!

Went with the monk class and it seems ok, I like the fact I can change to a different job if I wish.

The dancer looks very tempting when I finally hit that level.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
You can queue up and still get parties for Alexander and Omega but not Bahamut. There are Raid Roulettes which means people will be put into one of those as part of their dailies. Just don't expect them to be patient and explain the mechanics. They're there for the experience or the tomes.
Everything but Coils (ARR 8 mans) are in the daily roulettes, so they're still active. Coils was made before SE had really figured things out, and the later raids are too difficult to expect DF to clear while synced. You'll need to get a group together manually if you want to do them.
Is Bahamut/coils cool and worth seeing/doing once in your opinion?

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Whelp, I was going to join but now looking at the servers and how every one of the servers my friends play on is full and not taking characters, what's the point?

Kinda dumb but I guess I'll wait a month or two for the player feed to die down and try again.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Materia VII have less stats than Materia VI?

It's meant to replace Materia V, not Materia VI, and be used primarily for overmelds you can't do with VIs.

It's confusing and weird and I kind of wish they'd just branched material into Primary and Secondary melds instead of having them all in the same series of numbers, but the end result makes sense.

One nice material change for the moment is that VIs are now 100% success rate to demeld, so chucking VIs on the goetia gear that'll start getting replaced in a couple weeks isn't the worst thing.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's fantastic. Just try with another group, that's what I did. The add phase is the only tough part. My group killed the bushy headed tree first and then Pluck and it worked out. Everyone just has to be on board.

Edit: I'm late lol. Congrats.

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
Guess I'll try out the ex. Trials this weekend. Watched a couple vids and they don't seem to bad. Just need to buy a few more pieces for my MCH.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't, but if you don't all focus them down as a team you're going to die because she charges up incredibly fast. Meaning you have to do them in order anyway.
That's literally irrelevant. The first set you can AOE, the second set it doesn't matter who is attacking what as long as they alld ie in time. It's a total amount of damage you need to deal, with resistance debuffs being gone it super does not matter.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
I feel like the add phase was easier in Titania Extreme than it was for story. Any type of moderate dps check in duty finder is always a gamble with the player base.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Are the Coils soloable by now?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's literally irrelevant. The first set you can AOE, the second set it doesn't matter who is attacking what as long as they alld ie in time. It's a total amount of damage you need to deal, with resistance debuffs being gone it super does not matter.

You have so much faith in random PF teams. Unfortunately, luck is not always on everyone else's side.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finished the MSQ. That was an absolute trip.

Amaurot, both the zone and the dungeon, are utterly haunting. I just wandered round talking to all the NPCs... the one who realises he's a shade of Emet-Selch's memory is especially good. The final part of the dungeon where you see the devastation wreaked all over the planet is amazing.

Emet-Selch almost makes you forget he's a horribly racist perpetrator of mass genocide when you see his rage and despair over losing his people is completely genuine. When he realises the one opposing him is a reincarnation of a friend who doesn't even remember who they are, that was so well done. Great boss fight too.

The Warrior of Light is a goddamn Ascian, although an off hand comment a few levels previous from Emet-Selch pretty much tipped me off anyway, when he mentions with disdain that you wouldn't 'remember' Amaurot. Still, this has exciting implications for the future.

Honestly the only thing I'm a little disappointed in is Ran'jit. He's just kind of inexplicably badass and it's never really explained why he can do all the stuff he does? I guess his appearance implies he's a half-turned Sin Eater but... despite some great moments like Thancred's fight against him, he's so flat as a character that when I finally beat him I was like 'is that it?' I was expecting him to pop back up for a proper fight, maybe in a dungeon, but... nope.

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Are the Coils soloable by now?

Parts of it, but some of them (I don't remember exactly which ones, I think T10 and 11?) have mechanics that are pretty much impossible if you don't have at least 3 people.

I tried duo-ing it with my boyfriend and we couldn't get past those without a party. Rest was a breeze, tho.

Those might be doable now at LVL80 and higher iLVL, gotta try to make sure.

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the MSQ. That was an absolute trip.

Amaurot, both the zone and the dungeon, are utterly haunting. I just wandered round talking to all the NPCs... the one who realises he's a shade of Emet-Selch's memory is especially good. The final part of the dungeon where you see the devastation wreaked all over the planet is amazing.

Emet-Selch almost makes you forget he's a horribly racist perpetrator of mass genocide when you see his rage and despair over losing his people is completely genuine. When he realises the one opposing him is a reincarnation of a friend who doesn't even remember who they are, that was so well done. Great boss fight too.

The Warrior of Light is a goddamn Ascian, although an off hand comment a few levels previous from Emet-Selch pretty much tipped me off anyway, when he mentions with disdain that you wouldn't 'remember' Amaurot. Still, this has exciting implications for the future.

Honestly the only thing I'm a little disappointed in is Ran'jit. He's just kind of inexplicably badass and it's never really explained why he can do all the stuff he does? I guess his appearance implies he's a half-turned Sin Eater but... despite some great moments like Thancred's fight against him, he's so flat as a character that when I finally beat him I was like 'is that it?' I was expecting him to pop back up for a proper fight, maybe in a dungeon, but... nope.

Only things we find out about
Ran'jit is that he commands Eulmore's military, raised the Minfilia's and thought of them as his daughters and his martial arts style is called Gukumatz. I guess you could say that winning the second time was due to not being caught off guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.