• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, If I'm playing as a tank and I am playing with randoms I rarely pull big. It isn't worth the effort and pulling small groups vs pulling big often times result on the same clear time due to slow dps or healers that can't keep up.
Imo it's always worth asking the group if they want the huge pulls and then gauging how they handle them. I find a lot of random groups can do it just fine as long as you are on top of your mass pull game as the tank.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're not alone. Yes the community is mostly really nice and helpful, but do Savage and Extreme content and you'll find plenty of assholes who are impatient, say stuff like "really" or "wow" after a wipe, talk shit, or leave after a couple wipes. And of course before they leave they gotta say one last thing to shit on the group. It's one of the reasons I've sworn off Savage content. It's not only time consuming but that behavior is draining.
That's because you can tell how a party is going to go after 1 or 2 pulls. If you are advertising a clear party and you fail to make it to the final phase within 3 pulls, I'm not gonna waste my time on that party

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I'm level 15ish on the trial right now and damn I missed a very classic, effective MMO like that with what appears to be a LOT of content which is definitely appealing.

Problem : I know literally no one on this game, none of my friends or people I know are on it and the fact that the trial doesn't even let you use other chans, /tell players etc. doesn't help either (that's super dumb btw, wtf is that ?).

So, yeah, I'm super hesitant right now.

tenor.gif

EDIT : maybe I should add that I'm really old school, first hour MMO vet (M59, UO beta / release, EQ1 etc.) so the social component of an MMO for me is crucial, I personally see zero point in playing one always alone with no friends or clan or community.
Old school MMO player here, started on UO. I recommend playing on Mateus if you're looking for interaction since it's an unofficial RP server. Balmung is overloaded, so Mateus is the alternate choice. I play on Mateus and there's a lot of interaction on the server. I don't RP that much, but I like having the option and being able to find it in the starting cities easily is nice.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
My assumption: Amaurotines came up with a Project YoRHa to solve their dark apocalypse, it was deemed too dangerous (or something), and the raids will take place in testing chambers in the Bureau of the Architect

Wake me up when 5.1 hits.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
This works sometimes but you also get a ton of clear"must have enrage exp" groups failing basic mechanics

Luckily you'll know a fake clear party pretty early in to the first couple of attempts. I find that people who clearly state they're practicing and that they're fresh learning tend to be the ones who are actually looking to learn and do way better than those people trying to fast track a clear. A lot of people tend to migrate to clear parties after just watching a video and try to not do too horrible that they get called out.

Had a MCH yesterday during Titania EX who was just the biggest asshole to the other DPS until someone called them out on their poor DPS (The other tank and I were doing more dps than the MCH)

I know I shouldn't condone the use of singling people out using ACT, but he was doing 7k dps to everyone else's 9-11k with the healers doing 5k.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
They won't get banned.

Secondly, I hate when people say someone is tanking slow. This causes people with tank anxiety to pull too much thinking someone is going to call them slow and then they just die from pulling too much when the healer can't keep up. This also will now cause people to just say "If you want to do dungeons, why don't you just use Trusts if you want to go slow?"

Shithole people exist in this game, but they are a rarity for the most part.

I've reported people before for similar behavior and they've absolutely gotten banned, even if it hasn't been for long. Not sure if the GM's have changed their internal rules since then but it has always been my experience that FFXIV GMs are harsher than WoW GMs when it comes to abusing other players. FFXI GMs were super strict too. Hell, I knew someone that got banned for excessively spamming the ACT meter because they were acting like it meant anything.

As for the tanking anxiety, at least trusts exist now to run through a dungeon with, get familiar with tanking, boss mechanics, etc and then you can do it on your own free will with a group. I really wish trusts were available for all content.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've reported people before for similar behavior and they've absolutely gotten banned, even if it hasn't been for long. Not sure if the GM's have changed their internal rules since then but it has always been my experience that FFXIV GMs are harsher than WoW GMs when it comes to abusing other players. FFXI GMs were super strict too. Hell, I knew someone that got banned for excessively spamming the ACT meter because they were acting like it meant anything.

As for the tanking anxiety, at least trusts exist now to run through a dungeon with, get familiar with tanking, boss mechanics, etc and then you can do it on your own free will with a group. I really wish trusts were available for all content.
How do you know they got banned? The GMs won't tell you that they banned them, the most they'll say is that "they have finished the investigation and dealt with this issue".

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Old school MMO player here, started on UO. I recommend playing on Mateus if you're looking for interaction since it's an unofficial RP server. Balmung is overloaded, so Mateus is the alternate choice. I play on Mateus and there's a lot of interaction on the server. I don't RP that much, but I like having the option and being able to find it in the starting cities easily is nice.

Ah good to know. I forgot to mention I'm in EU, can I join any region am I restricted to basically where I am ?

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Since I finished the MSQ with my WHM I'm now going to switch over to my level 70 SCH and work on leveling it since I'm almost a obligate healer.

Unless I see changes with AST upcoming I might not bother leveling my 70 level AST. Shame because it used to be my favorite healer.

Any other healers feel like Piety is kind of an unnecessary stat currently? I never really have mana issues as long as I'm using Lucid Dreaming on CD, and this is while doing DPS in downtime.
I don't even care about piety. I've rarely had mana issues on my WHM thanks to manaless healing spells, lucid dreaming and thin air.

I'm bias though in that I only care about spell speed. Give me all the spell speed materia.

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Ah good to know. I forgot to mention I'm in EU, can I join any region am I restricted to basically where I am ?
You can play in any region, but latency may be an issue since the US servers are based on the west coast. Can always create a character on the Crystal data center and try it out to see if it's playable.

There are some EU folks that play on Mateus, but I don't know how broad that population is there. The number of people online during the primetime hours for EU are definitely lower than US primetime on the server, but folks are present at all hours.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At some point you have to get into clear parties for EX fights, because there's no learning parties anymore and so you're forced to study the 15 min guide to at least avoid getting kicked.

I was never ever able to discover an EX fight for myself. Always to had to spoil any possible surprise or cool mechanics.

EX is as far as I will push myself these days, I raided coil on ARR and while at first it wasn't bad, was quite fun actually, it quickly became an unpleasant experience with drama and toxicity.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
At some point you have to get into clear parties for EX fights, because there's no learning parties anymore and so you're forced to study the 15 min guide to at least avoid getting kicked.

I was never ever able to discover an EX fight for myself. Always to had to spoil any possible surprise or cool mechanics.

EX is as far as I will push myself these days, I raided coil on ARR and while at first it wasn't bad, was quite fun actually, it quickly became an unpleasant experience with drama and toxicity.
Why not make a PF and say you're doing it blind? Might be able to find like-minded individuals or people who are polite enough to not spoil things even if they ran it before.

Deleted member 22070

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can play in any region, but latency may be an issue since the US servers are based on the west coast. Can always create a character on the Crystal data center and try it out to see if it's playable.

There are some EU folks that play on Mateus, but I don't know how broad that population is there. The number of people online during the primetime hours for EU are definitely lower than US primetime on the server, but folks are present at all hours.

Gotcha, I'll look into that. Thanks.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
How do you know they got banned? The GMs won't tell you that they banned them, the most they'll say is that "they have finished the investigation and dealt with this issue".

I used to run a 200+ person FC and they'd get banned because they'd let us know they got banned. They just didn't know I was the one reporting them :)

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Don't jump into clear parties if you've never seen the fight, there are always tons of learning parties for new content, and you would have zero issue either finding or starting one right now.
I used to run a 200+ person FC and they'd get banned because they'd let us know they got banned. They just didn't know I was the one reporting them :)
Hmmm I see

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not make a PF and say you're doing it blind? Might be able to find like-minded individuals or people who are polite enough to not spoil things even if they ran it before.

I did that, but usually it destroys itself after a few pulls anyway. People rarely sticks for 1 or 2 hours until they get the mechanics down.

Don't jump into clear parties if you've never seen the fight, there are always tons of learning parties for new content, and you would have zero issue either finding or starting one right now.

Hmmm I see

Let's see. For SB when I did get to 70 SAM there were barely learning parties for both EX and did get to 70 way faster that I will get to 80. I'm still 74 in SHB so at that point most parties in PF will be "aiming for clear" ones or "only ppl with clears"

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Any other healers feel like Piety is kind of an unnecessary stat currently? I never really have mana issues as long as I'm using Lucid Dreaming on CD, and this is while doing DPS in downtime.

DPS spells are cheaper than a lot of healing spells, so for the most part stacking piety will go where it always did: prog gearing. It's super easy to stay fluid on a healer right now in single-target if you're mostly DPSing, but excessive rezzing or GCD AOE healing will be felt incredibly keenly. Also running the WHM AF had me at something insane like 2.7k piety; switching to just the current BiS is still 2.2k piety which is literally double where BiS piety sets were sitting at the end of Stormblood. Unsure about the other healers Titania weapons and how they'd handle less pie in general, but WHM currently has way too much inescapable PIE.

I don't think you can stack enough to really help with Art of War spam on Scholar, either, so PIE will just be the semi-dead stat it always was that gets stacked for Savage/Ultimate early prog.

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
I have never tried an MMO before. What quick tips could you guys give me? This seems really interesting and I'd be happy to give it a chance.

Also, I'm on the PS4 only.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible we could make a Shadowbringers spoiler thread? I would love to talk more openly about stuff without fearing of accidentally spoiling someone in here.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
What's a good non-job class I should take on? I'm currently a fisherman, but is there a better class that I can benefit from being early on in the base game.
Miner and Botanist makes a good chunk of change. I chose miner to start with but I'm not far with it (only like level 40) and I was able to fund my own smithing projects by doing so.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I figured out what the thread title for OT2 needs to be if we ever get there:

Too Much Light Makes the Hildy Go Blind.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I have never tried an MMO before. What quick tips could you guys give me? This seems really interesting and I'd be happy to give it a chance.

Start on a preferred server. I'm new to the game, but the XP grind (there are a lot of fairly mindless quests early on) is a lot faster early on with the double XP. There are also a lot of people leveling up due to the double xp on the preferred servers.

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
The main storyline will teach you EVERYTHING. It doles out new systems/features very slowly (too slowly for most veteran MMO players, but you probably won't notice that at all). Just keep following the main quests and you will likely never get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in this game.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Take your time and smell the flowers. There's no need to rush to the end.

If you see a NPC with this marker above their head, it means the quest they'll give you will unlock a new feature. You'll want to prioritize these.

itLOiTw.png

I always hear that, unless you level all the crafting/gathering classes, it doesn't really make much of an impact.
I could be talking outta my ass tho

Gathering alone isn't going to bring in ALL the gil, but it's nothing to sneeze at. Botany and Mining don't need the other, but you'll have downtime if you don't have them both leveled. Fishing is its own thing.

Crafting classes were co-dependent on each other for role actions, which is why you leveled them up together. You're not forced to do that now, but you still probably should.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, people like them is what makes people like me want to never play the group content in MMOs haha

That's why I play with people from here. Era folks are so nice it weirded me out at first as a jaded old mmo vet. My friend is in the FC and last weekend made a comment that he was amazed at how people actually answer questions honestly in the guild chat. He's used to everyone fucking with them or telling them to look at wowhead, lol.

I'm leveling SAM as a change of pace but tank is my eternal role in MMOs. I'll probably end up trying Gunbreaker and if I hate it go back to WAR. As for people bitching about pace when tanking, I've had it happen even avoiding PUGs as much as possible, as experienced as I am it still sucks. In 2.0 I did speedruns of dungeons when in groups of people I knew, but when you don't know your healer you have no choice but to take it slow. At least back then people were terrified of the tank quitting out on them but I hear there's too many Squall wannabes running around right now.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I play with people from here. Era folks are so nice it weirded me out at first as a jaded old mmo vet. My friend is in the FC and last weekend made a comment that he was amazed at how people actually answer questions honestly in the guild chat. He's used to everyone fucking with them or telling them to look at wowhead, lol.

I'm leveling SAM as a change of pace but tank is my eternal role in MMOs. I'll probably end up trying Gunbreaker and if I hate it go back to WAR. As for people bitching about pace when tanking, I've had it happen even avoiding PUGs as much as possible, as experienced as I am it still sucks. In 2.0 I did speedruns of dungeons when in groups of people I knew, but when you don't know your healer you have no choice but to take it slow. At least back then people were terrified of the tank quitting out on them but I hear there's too many Squall wannabes running around right now.
Thats so good to hear! Now I just need to find a community on Adamantoise haha. It's been a great server, but doesn't seem to have a pre-existing community from any places I frequent.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Soooo... question for all you tank mains and GNBs:
How hard would it be for someone to pick up Gunbreaker that's never tanked before?
Thinking of Going through all the side content and quests I skipped over doing the MSQ on a new job

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Soooo... question for all you tank mains and GNBs:
How hard would it be for someone to pick up Gunbreaker that's never tanked before?
Thinking of Going through all the side content and quests I skipped over doing the MSQ on a new job

Do Palace of the Dead a few times and you'll pick up the basics, from there move on to off tanking trials and doing the leveling roulette. You'll be fine!

And if you have any questions, just ask!

You can also practice with your squadron.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Question for dancers:

What is the esprit gain from your dance partner? It's only under dance right? How long does the buff last and Is esprit a chance or per weapon skill? Is it the same rate when under the technical dance party buff?

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Question for dancers:

What is the esprit gain from your dance partner? It's only under dance right? How long does the buff last and Is esprit a chance or per weapon skill? Is it the same rate when under the technical dance party buff?

Esprit is a resource you start gaining at 76. It comes in pretty consistently even when solo

You dump it with the move you learn at 76.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. We were winning against Titania and then one of the tanks hit provoke while she was casting Divination Rune and she turned around and vaporized the entire party. Now everyone quit. Amazing.

I fucking hate playing with other people.

Elem

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to skip a MSQ? I'm way back in Heavensward on The Steps of Faith quest and it hasn't been able to form a party at all.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to skip a MSQ? I'm way back in Heavensward on The Steps of Faith quest and it hasn't been able to form a party at all.

Like skip a specific Main Scenario Quest?

No.

Are you in a guild by chance? If anyone is high enough level they can use the Unsync function and help clear it with you with an undersized party with relative ease.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Esprit is a resource you start gaining at 76. It comes in pretty consistently even when solo

You dump it with the move you learn at 76.

That I know and not what I asked. What im curious about is what the rate gain is from your partner. Does it only come when under the 20 second dance?

The monk and Sam in my group are debating. Obviously the monk with a lower gcd would be the preferred partner, but if they only gain esprit under that 20 second buff then I feel like giving that single member 5% buff to a SAM about to triple midare and hissatsu would be a bigger gain than 2 extra Rick's of esprit for the dancer

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Last area question

I'm up to the part where it wants me to finish a role quest line before continuing the MSQ, the last role quest requires level 80 though and the MSQ is still at 79? So I have to get to 80 before continuing the MSQ basically? Seems like a waste of MSQ exp if so..

Status
Not open for further replies.