• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I know some people hate it, but the things like Mayhaps, Pray tell, etc are all huge selling points to me as well.

I love "formal" speech in fantasy games and while some may not appreciate it I prefer it vastly over games that try to "modernize" their speaking. If I'm playing a medieval fantasy game I expect them to talk in "Weird" ways to some degree, so I enjoy it.

Hearing people speak in "flowery" languages to each other and the politics and stuff like in the parley with Garland scene get me hyped.

I agree and it definitely helps sell the alienness of something like the Heavensward dragons. But even the non-flowery parts exude a type of competence you don't really see in most other JRPGs. Like this for instance is typical dialogue in FFXIV but would be top-tier in most other games:

ea04ba605fce1502e93c87bf38d4ec15e6e19fe6.jpg

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Mkay thanks. I'd love to go back to HW after this and compare, and just plain re-experience it in general with better glam/options this time. But I don't know how it will be implemented. I'll keep an eye out.
They've said you can only do entire expansions at once, and it won't block you from doing other stuff. So you can't restart halfway thru HW, you have to do the entire expansion over again, in order.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I am really going to need the lowdown on what makes the stories in FF14 so good. Is it like, good in the way 7-9 were? What's the balance on overwrought but fun anime-ish nonsense vs actual coherent characterization and satisfying themes?

Not being aggressive, want a good reason to plop 200 plus hours and a hundred dollars (at least) on this game. It's a big hole in my FF history.

FF XIV probably has even less overwrought but fun anime-ish nonsense than 7-9 did, to be honest. Even its spectacle is done in a way that probably wouldn't stand out as "anime" to people who dislike that word. With Heavensward in particular, but also in general throughout the narrative, the influence of Game of Thrones and other Western fantasy series and TV serial style storytelling is palpable. That's why having people who worked on Heavensward head up the production team of FF XVI, which appears likely, is a smart move on Square-Enix's part if they're really looking to have this franchise be a major thing in the West.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I agree and it definitely helps sell the alienness of something like the Heavensward dragons. But even the non-flowery parts exude a type of competence you don't really see in most other JRPGs. Like this for instance is typical dialogue in FFXIV but would be top-tier in most other games:

Haha man I forgot how sassy she was.

They've said you can only do entire expansions at once, and it won't block you from doing other stuff. So you can't restart halfway thru HW, you have to do the entire expansion over again, in order.
I mean that's fine for me as I only want to redo HW.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
The NG+ will be great to revisit all the 1-off's single player duties throughout the entire run of XIV. Instead of going through some interest stuff again, we've just been stuck doing AV, Totorak, DD and The Praetorium repeatedly for years. I do wonder if NG+ includes some sort of new content/gear for doing it, or is it simply for replaying the story quests.

Just waiting to hopefully finish the MSQ tonight, but I might have dawdled too long on hand/land jobs. But the words in here on how ShB is ranking, quality-wise, matches what I've seen.

XIV is basically the FF game, that has gotten great sequels to it, that also keeps continuity with each other, unlike every other FF game they've made.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Just waiting to hopefully finish the MSQ tonight, but I might have dawdled too long on hand/land jobs.
Yeah I have my retainers on ventures and finally going to level my crafting. Supposedly the exp boosts and stuff right now are good but I don't know if they'll nerf them. Been hearing good things though.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was certainly appreciative of
Y'shtola's brief expression of knowing she screwed up by not recognizing the WoL's aether/trusting in her friends when Urianger addresses the WoL's identity.

*casts Benefic on Jannequinard*

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have my retainers on ventures and finally going to level my crafting. Supposedly the exp boosts and stuff right now are good but I don't know if they'll nerf them. Been hearing good things though.
The Facet questline? Maybe they'll nerf them, but the way they "feel" like, is that they're the Role Quests, but for crafting. Turn in items for each Esteem level, but once it's done, it's done.

But it sure is a shitload of XP for crafting (just choose which job you want to give that XP carefully, or split it evenly as best you can).

Having to gear my retainers, so they can go get new material, not great.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Anyone could direct me to a MCH guide or just gimme a quick and dirty guide. Haven't touched MCH since I maxed it to 60 in HW and now it is totally different and I am lost.
Did a roulette with it and I was wildly pushing buttons trying my best to come up with good rotations

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Anyone could direct me to a MCH guide or just gimme a quick and dirty guide. Haven't touched MCH since I maxed it to 60 in HW and now it is totally different and I am lost.
Did a roulette with it and I was wildly pushing buttons trying my best to come up with good rotations
Pop your battery skill every time it's off cooldown. Pop your heat skill when it's off cool down. Drill baby Drill, and pop your combos.

When you have your heat for AOE the overcharge and using the Auto Crossbow melts faces in my experience. Other than that just pop things off cooldowns. I normally wait to use my turret til I have almost full battery.

Other than that I can do two overheat rounds if I wait til full heat gauge and spam Autocrossbow on regular mobs and things die quickly, or you can use the other overheat skill for single targets.

The best part about the new expansion for me is that there's AOE vs single target skills for like....everyone now.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Man the AST quest line has such great characters and dialogue, even if the story itself is average.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everybody. New to this game and I have a question I cannot join my friends server because it is apparently not accepting new characters at this time. How long can this last for? Should I join another server in the meantime or will it cost me money to switch back to their server when it opens up?

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
People already leaving at first sight of Titania in roulette, lol.
it's not that hard, guys

It isn't. We one-shot it when me and maybe three others were new to the fight. The only thing mentioned before the pull was kill order during DPS phase and tanking it wasn't especially difficult once we figured out what the mechanics do after seeing them once or twice. What a fun trial, though.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everybody. New to this game and I have a question I cannot join my friends server because it is apparently not accepting new characters at this time. How long can this last for? Should I join another server in the meantime or will it cost me money to switch back to their server when it opens up?
You'll need to try and create a character when there are less players online. Try late at night/early in the morning.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't. We one-shot it when me and maybe three others were new to the fight. The only thing mentioned before the pull was kill order during DPS phase and tanking it wasn't especially difficult once we figured out what the mechanics do after seeing them once or twice. What a fun trial, though.

The add phase can be a bit unforgiving, but most of the wipes I've seen have come from two of the grown adds being left alone to murder the healers.
Also just kinda wish people were less shy about using the LB. Let it rip, we'll get it back, it's okay!

It is a fun trial, though. ShB's dungeons and trials in general has been aces so far.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
"this run's way slower than my trust system run and it isn't even the tank's fault lol"

erm, thanks I guess? (I'm the tank)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's often understated but the game borrows a shit-ton to FFXII especially lore and story-wise. One of the reason Ivalician lore was a perfect fit to integrate into Eorzea. Not to mention the key staff who worked on FFXII

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I am really going to need the lowdown on what makes the stories in FF14 so good. Is it like, good in the way 7-9 were? What's the balance on overwrought but fun anime-ish nonsense vs actual coherent characterization and satisfying themes?

Not being aggressive, want a good reason to plop 200 plus hours and a hundred dollars (at least) on this game. It's a big hole in my FF history.
So the base game has a very good story for an MMO, and feels very much like an MMO with how many fetch and filler quests that there are.(peaking at the post 2.0 patches 100 quests slog)

After this however, the story gets really good with emotional weight and a feeling of everything you are doing has actual consequences for the world.(Also they switched to a much better voice cast, and even Gendry makes an appearance). Stormblood isn't as strong as Heavensward and feels more like a side plot at times, but it still has the same core tennants.

Shadowbringers is where all this really comes together to bring a depressing yet gripping story with some real weight and makes you think about who your character really is. I think it also helps that Shadowbringers is the result of a couple hundred hours of story content so you get to see how everything you see and do have long term consequences.

Last edited:

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
God summoner sucks at 50.just did 50/60/70 roullete and barely was able to finish it since i couondt put out damage fast enough on adfs

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Little to no instances of irritating anime-ish nonsense. (Outside of some silly sidequests like Hildebrand, that are actually great)

Much of the writing is very grounded, tonally written in a more haughty but focused dialect. It over-exerts itself to explain the tangled web of politics, struggles, mysteries, etc... possibly to a fault as the prose can feel overbearing if consumed in long sustained sessions.

But hey it is a legible narrative. Editors actually felt like they had input on this script. Many likely!

it's solid. Yes, ARR is padded to force you to visit the various zones of the world and take down large monster bosses and deal with fishmen, beastmen, an evil empire, etc... it's somewhat cliche and preductable at times but this is far from recent FF fodder. It's well presented and flows naturally.

You are provided context and your NPC companions that make regular cameos are both well developed and mysterious.

Great payoffs as the scenario writers developed lore that feels both fresh and very familiar to Past classic games. Cameos and references are woven intelligently into the scenario in surprising ways. Especially the farther in you play.

Longtime fans will appreciate it. Newcomers may be turned off at how precious the writing can feel at times and may skip cutscenes to avoid lotsa exposition but even still, it's not hard to follow and when Heavensward gets going...woo.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Titania was awesome. Had to do it 4 times, but each time we pushed it further. Someone tried to vote to abandon on the 3rd wipe but luckily, the rest felt that we had it.

We did. Don't give up.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand why undraw is still a thing, they should remove it and give us something else, it's a waste of skill.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
It took 4 hours and 13 runs but I finally got the gunblade from Castrum Abania I also got almost all the weapons and two full gear sets the only weapons I'm missing from there are for black mage white mage and warrior. I also went from fresh level 71 to 72 half way to level 73. Oh and someone a few pages back was asking if you could get the weapons from post dungeon guaranteed loot and you can't at least not in SB.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Someone on reddit said world status (i.e. Congested, Standard, Preferred, New) only change at patches and congested will never allow new characters. Anyone know if this is true? If so I have to wait for a future patch to an Aether server before I can make a new character on that data center?

Redhood

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Best expansion ever. This easily trumped HW. The game did have a lul at level 77 and then at 79 where I felt the quality of story dropped a bit but that was because rest of it was really good. The ending kinda get epic and sort of an end to FFXIV. Cannot wait for Eden.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
In this house we stan chonky Eulmoran cat-women.

OMFG
*long screed about Amaurot*
"Not that you would remember"
"Remember?"
"Never mind."
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF GOD DAMNIT EMET-SELCH
(I love his character, mannerisms, and body language so much.

Last edited:

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
God summoner sucks at 50.just did 50/60/70 roullete and barely was able to finish it since i couondt put out damage fast enough on adfs
Use the caster type pet for AOE. At low levels you just hard cast the dots, spread them, and spam Outburst while using the few big cooldowns you have. It's honestly a lot better at low levels than it used to be.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the main scenario and the credits are rolling now
That Hades final trail pretty much blows every other MSQ trail out of the water. That final dungeon before it was fucking amazing and this has to be one of the top Final Fantasy stories of all time. Just truly in awe of this story. Can't wait for 5.1 just to do that EX Hades trial.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
It's often understated but the game borrows a shit-ton to FFXII especially lore and story-wise. One of the reason Ivalician lore was a perfect fit to integrate into Eorzea. Not to mention the key staff who worked on FFXII

I'm curious. What kind of stuff did they integrate? I've only ever played FF Tactics (FFXII is in my backlog).

Last edited:

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Got to 74 last night and unlocked the first trial fight -and first duty queue (I've been using only trusts for the dungeons so far, to get a feel for both the dungeon and rearranged skill keybinds). I think I feel about pixies how Sidurgu would feel about certain sidequests in Churning Mists, lol. The plot's been quite full on so far, I keep thinking 'so when's GroupHugBringers patch come out?'.

I take it both new classes are reasonably well received? I'll have to remember to unlock gunbreaker after I finish the msq.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the MSQ.
When Shadowbringers was announced I was afraid it would become some sort of "filler" expansion storywise since Garlmald seemed like the next logical step.

How wrong I was, everything I saw was amazing and the lore and story filling we got was great, FFXIV has been nothing but joy for a FF fan and this last expansion doesn't disappoint.

Oct 25, 2017
With the FFVIII Remaster coming, Gunblade introduced, and,
Guardian Force Quetzalcoatl?!?

Is it safe to assume Eden, originating from FFVIII will have a storyline paying homage to it?

Since Eden was found in FFVIII in a deep sea research lab, Amaurotians will most likely have a hand in it.

Going even further the Amaruotians also fit the FFVIII description of the Shumi, who were thought to be immortal and possessing of a unique technology that makes use of bio-natural entities and manmade stuff. As seen in the Akadaemia Anyder.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I may be getting a visit from a gm soon I was doing a dungeon and someone had a level 1 one ring on at 69 and I said "thats freaking dope they have a level one ring on" in party chat instead of fc chat. My fault I forgot party chat didn't work like on WoW where there's an instance chat and a private party chat for whoever you queued with.

Status
Not open for further replies.