• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Subbed and ready to go. Plan on just getting back up to speed the next couple nights before early access. Randomly, I have Friday off as well so that worked out nicely.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hard disagree--controller healing feels pretty natural and I don't understand how mouse & keyboard healers tolerate not having soft-targeting which is low-key one of the best controller features XIV has going.

Pretty much this. Both control schemes work perfectly fine for all job roles. There are plenty of people (although obviuosly not as many as use K+M) who world first prog who are controller users and that includes healers.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about continuing with Dark Knight so I can (when I eventually get there) go through the MSQ as one. I should probably wait till Friday though right as it's changing? I'm only level 34.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about continuing with Dark Knight so I can (when I eventually get there) go through the MSQ as one. I should probably wait till Friday though right as it's changing? I'm only level 34.

DRK is being reworked a LOT, yeah. Not as much as Machinist is, but a lot. I would probably wait so you can learn it as you go rather than having to throw all your rotations and muscle memory away midway through leveling up.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Note, the servers are going town tonight at 2am Pacific and not coming back up until Friday at 2am Pacific.
N62Fl33.png

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've still never managed to level WAR or PLD. Gladiator was just so SLOW that by the time I hit level 45 or so I just gave up from boredom.

Well I did get both to 50 on ARR lol, looking back not sure how I had the patience to do so, now leveling the jobs I have on 50 is a daunting task lol.

Even so leveling now with the armory system and the earrings is quite easy. 1 leveling duty is like 1 level and half with DRK and as a tank you can avoid palace of the dead.

That said I'm thinking of buying a potion for AST/SCH lol

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
DRK is being reworked a LOT, yeah. Not as much as Machinist is, but a lot. I would probably wait so you can learn it as you go rather than having to throw all your rotations and muscle memory away midway through leveling up.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's been a while since I played it anyway and it's the only Tank i've ever tried in an MMO so starting it just have to have it change in a day would be silly.

Got to say though from my limited experience Tanking it was really fun. I was super nervous about picking it up as it seems like way more responsibility than what I'm used to as a BLM but people were patient with me and gave out loads of tips when I ran through dungeons with them.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Well we still all get a unique quest at the end but this honestly makes sense.

As they add more and more and more jobs, the amount of new job quests for each expansion gets larger. It might just be too much.

If anything what this might be the opportunity to do is have some cross over.

Like how do Paladins and Dark Knights really feel towards each other? Are there long going rivalries between some classes?

I think this could be interesting.

Hmm... I still have residual bitterness about the combat leves getting axed so cutting more stuff like this rubs me the wrong way. I'm just not seeing what new stuff they add to these expansions that makes up for it. I guess the FATE thing could be cool but it's only the new zones.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Controller feels so absurdly natural in this game that I actually can't imagine why I'd ever not want to use it. Its certainly not hindering my ability to perform well, and I feel like I'm so much less prone to error with gamepad.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's been a while since I played it anyway and it's the only Tank i've ever tried in an MMO so starting it just have to have it change in a day would be silly.

Got to say though from my limited experience Tanking it was really fun. I was super nervous about picking it up as it seems like way more responsibility than what I'm used to as a BLM but people were patient with me and gave out loads of tips when I ran through dungeons with them.

Honestly, tanking is a job that's pretty natural overall. The only time it's really frustrating is in trials and raids with lots of forced tank swaps. If you don't know when and how to do that, it can end very poorly for your entire team.

Otherwise, DRK is just about keeping your MP topped off as much as possible and ensuring your enmity never gets outpaced by your party's SAM or BLM.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

Yeah DRK has been my main tank, with PLD barely behind. That being said PLD is getting some nice buffs this go around too. I'd say PLD has seen some nice changes since HW and beyond to its rotations and skillsets. Getting rid of Flash for a better skill for AOE enmity is a godsend.

That being said I'm all about Magitek and stuff so MCH and Gunblader are in my sights to max before going through story.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been paying much attention, so I didn't realize that Shadowbringers was going to skip having job-specific quest chains in favor of role quest chains. I know that as the number of jobs increase it becomes more time-consuming to make multiple new quests for each one, but I still feel let down by that reduction. Hopefully the one level 80 job quest doesn't feel entirely perfunctory.
I dunno, the job quests from Stormblood didn't seem all that great, I like the idea of them spending a lot more time and effort making a few interesting role quests rather than making 18 half-hearted job-specific ones every expansion. And they aren't removing all the old ones, so job-specific stories and quests will still be playable up through Shadowbringers.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
The only thing that I will missed from the removal of 71-79 job quest is DRK job questline. It's the best job questline in the game.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah DRK has been my main tank, with PLD barely behind. That being said PLD is getting some nice buffs this go around too. I'd say PLD has seen some nice changes since HW and beyond to its rotations and skillsets. Getting rid of Flash for a better skill for AOE enmity is a godsend.

That being said I'm all about Magitek and stuff so MCH and Gunblader are in my sights to max before going through story.

PLD looks cool but I love the theme around DRK. I can see myself trying to get all the Tank mounts at some point though so PLD will get it's day.

MCH is something I only delved into a little but I didn't really like how it played. Seems like it's getting a big rework though so maybe I'll give it another look especially now it gets it's own mech to summon.

Honestly, tanking is a job that's pretty natural overall. The only time it's really frustrating is in trials and raids with lots of forced tank swaps. If you don't know when and how to do that, it can end very poorly for your entire team.

Otherwise, DRK is just about keeping your MP topped off as much as possible and ensuring your enmity never gets outpaced by your party's SAM or BLM.

I think I'll have to do a deep dive into tanking. Like being a main or off tank has never even entered into my brain before and I'd hate to be a burden. I'm so used to being basically a turret with my rather mediocre BLM.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
I pre-ordered the physical Collectors edition (Steam) edition. Will I get the Steam key to activate early for Friday Early Access, or do I have to wait till next week for the physical package to arrive to get the steam key?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
PLD looks cool but I love the theme around DRK. I can see myself trying to get all the Tank mounts at some point though so PLD will get it's day.

MCH is something I only delved into a little but I didn't really like how it played. Seems like it's getting a big rework though so maybe I'll give it another look especially now it gets it's own mech to summon.

I think I'll have to do a deep dive into tanking. Like being a main or off tank has never even entered into my brain before and I'd hate to be a burden. I'm so used to being basically a turret with my rather mediocre BLM.

This helped me:
BlnLLeX.png

It's basically telling you how to aggro, what the indicators mean on the screen, etc.

You'd be surprised how many tanks don't even know the enemy list tells you about aggro.

The only thing that I will missed from the removal of 71-79 job quest is DRK job questline. It's the best job questline in the game.
Not only does it keep having HW music deep into Stormblood, but the plotline at the end of SB along with the fight on level 70 was some of the most epic stuff in the game to me. It all built back on your journey in the game across the MSQ and it was fantastic. Wish more jobs would do that.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MCH job quests were honestly pretty good too, but how could they not be when they feature Hilda. Gonna miss having a full questline for them

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about tanking I normally try to rotate all my mitigation cds so I always have one up while tanking a boss is that a good way to do it on FFXIV I have a tank at 70 but I've never really tanked anything harder than an expert roulette because I quit right after I got my drk to 70. Is there a better way to use them I know to have one for Tank Busters but I was just curious and figured now was a better time to ask than my group at 80 because I didn't ask.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I have a question about tanking I normally try to rotate all my mitigation cds so I always have one up while tanking a boss is that a good way to do it on FFXIV I have a tank at 70 but I've never really tanked anything harder than an expert roulette because I quit right after I got my drk to 70. Is there a better way to use them I know to have one for Tank Busters but I was just curious and figured now was a better time to ask than my group at 80 because I didn't ask.
I'm no tank expert but I use them in trash mobs at the beginning because when you first pull you'll take more damage than later due to having more enemies on you. The dps will be picking off the adds so by the time you get down to the last guy you shouldn't need to pop them as much.

For bosses though it's good to save your "oh shit" button for when the tank buster hits but I normally try to keep one up if I see a cast timer on the boss or something.

It's all about knowing the fights and what attacks hit you the hardest in my experience. Tanking is fun to me because it benefits you to "study" enemies and dungeons and patterns and stuff, and I'm a huge nerd for spreadsheets and strategy.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
These next two days are going to go by sooooo slooooooow

I'm finishing up the Elswyr main quest in ESO in the meantime. (It's pretty good, not Summerset good, but good all the same.)
Then Imma work on trying to complete a 1cc Easy run in Devil Engine (Easy mode is still hard af)
I think I've got enough stuff going on to run out the clock.

Edit:

They're adding a queue system for instanced events. This should prevent people from getting Raubahn'd

Last edited:

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
There's still single job quests and that they are suposed to be quite large, so is not that bad.

Yeah, there's a large section on the notes about how it's set up. 4 role quests, split by job type (tank, healer, melee dps, magic dps). Those all sound like quests from 70-80. If you finish all 4 of those (4 different jobs to 80), then a 5th opens up. There are also individual job quests for each job (opens up post story completion and job quest completion). Those seem to take you back to the various Job NPC's we've all dealt with.

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017
Hard disagree--controller healing feels pretty natural and I don't understand how mouse & keyboard healers tolerate not having soft-targeting which is low-key one of the best controller features XIV has going.
that soft-target is a full game changer. I play on PC and alternative keyboard/mouse and controller and I 100% do healing on a controller at this point. It's a little more fiddly to set up with all the extra options and everything but that soft target is so COMFY.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is there some kind of pay to skip straight to the new content option?

I tried to grind trough Heavensward to get to Stormblood, but I ran out of steam. I'd love to jump back in, but the idea of having to finish BOTH storylines to catch up is too much. I don't enjoy the story in these games at all, I'm purely in it for the end game.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

For bosses, I tend to be a bit more judicious than group pulls.

Regular mobs, i just rotate all my CDs to free some healer mana for dps or just less stress.

For higher end bosses, you may need that 30% reduction for a tank buster, or crisis management. Maybe i'll use rampart whenever it is up, but a crisis situation in a high end boss could cost you lots of time.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm no tank expert but I use them in trash mobs at the beginning because when you first pull you'll take more damage than later due to having more enemies on you. The dps will be picking off the adds so by the time you get down to the last guy you shouldn't need to pop them as much.

For bosses though it's good to save your "oh shit" button for when the tank buster hits but I normally try to keep one up if I see a cast timer on the boss or something.

It's all about knowing the fights and what attacks hit you the hardest in my experience. Tanking is fun to me because it benefits you to "study" enemies and dungeons and patterns and stuff, and I'm a huge nerd for spreadsheets and strategy.
For bosses, I tend to be a bit more judicious than group pulls.

Regular mobs, i just rotate all my CDs to free some healer mana for dps or just less stress.

For higher end bosses, you may need that 30% reduction for a tank buster, or crisis management. Maybe i'll use rampart whenever it is up, but a crisis situation in a high end boss could cost you lots of time.

Thank you both so much I tanked alot on WoW but that was way back in the day almost ten years ago. I'm looking forward to tanking full time in Shadowbringers so I wanna give it my best effort.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thank you both so much I tanked alot on WoW but that was way back in the day almost ten years ago. I'm looking forward to tanking full time in Shadowbringers so I wanna give it my best effort.
It's also important to remember that cooldowns are reset on wipe now.
So if your team MAY wipe, then hitting that hallowed ground/walking dead/uhhhh warriorstandstill button MIGHT save you, press it.

I've been tank main since 2.0 because i hate bad tanks more than anything. It's very rewarding when done well

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Job quests had a lot of meaningless filler so having them condensed into one cool 80 quest sounds good to me.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
No problem. Like Cerulean said it's good to use them on bosses because you stand to lose nothing from using them and only to gain by relieving the healer and allowing them to multitask easier, as well as not needing to worry about HP constantly in the fight.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Is there some kind of pay to skip straight to the new content option?

I tried to grind trough Heavensward to get to Stormblood, but I ran out of steam. I'd love to jump back in, but the idea of having to finish BOTH storylines to catch up is too much. I don't enjoy the story in these games at all, I'm purely in it for the end game.
If you are fine ignoring the story (not understanding what is happening in Shadowbringers), you can indeed pay to skip content (the object is called "Tales of Adventure" in Mog Station). It's pricey though - $25. And they haven't released the Stormblood Tales of Adventure yet (maybe on Friday?).

One thing to note is doing the main story quests is still the best, fastest way to level, so skipping it means more grinding.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you are fine ignoring the story, you can indeed pay to skip content (the object is called "Tales of Adventure" in Mog Station). It's pricey though - $25. And they haven't released the Stormblood Tales of Adventure yet.
Will the SB tales be out any time soon, do we know?

I could stand to finish Heavensward... how many hours ot focused MSQ would it take to get through SB?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still leveling Paladin but I might try Gunbreaker now. I feel like I should keep the rested exp

Oct 25, 2017
that soft-target is a full game changer. I play on PC and alternative keyboard/mouse and controller and I 100% do healing on a controller at this point. It's a little more fiddly to set up with all the extra options and everything but that soft target is so COMFY.

Yeah; I've been going back over a lot of my clear videos from SB reflecting on just how much I'm going to miss AST's buff extensions and current card systems, and it made me appreciate just how frequently I ended up using soft-target for cards/heals/whatever. My understanding is that the mouse+keyboard equivalent is <mo> macros, but then you have to have macros and deal with the loss of queueing.

It's a slight mental adjustment, but soft target really does make things feel and flow great.

Status
Not open for further replies.