• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine being so much of a corporate goon that you think people complaining about a lack of inclusion that seeped in sexism is not only harassment, but is somehow their fault.

Unless your a square enix employee, you are an idiot defending this corporation for free.

Couldn't be me

Does someone need a little cheese with their whine? Your posts and name calling confirm that you are, along with other "fans" are acting entitled.

Is it ok to be disappointed? sure, i was disappointed i would not be able to race change along with my wife to viera, but am i going sit behind my keyboard, bitching and moaning about it? Nah.

Most of the people in this thread were acting civil about it, then here you come

Funny part is, it STILL could happen, we could still could get male's in 5.1 or 5.2 and we dont know it

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I think part of the problem is that FFXIV is seen as one of the more progressive MMO's and games in general so that when shit like this happens they are held to a higher standard and people are more disappointed because they expect better.

Gender locking shouldn't be a thing and it's a shame that it has happened again. I don't think yelling and accusing the 14 devs of shit is the way to go about voicing disappointment and frustration though. I hope once the dust settles then constructive discussion can be had because despite what some say, the devs do usually listen (even if it takes a while for them to do so) and hopefully there will end up being male and female versions of both races.
What constructive conversation I'd there to be had

"Remember that thing we got upset you last time for. We still don't want you to do it, yeah"

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Does someone need a little cheese with their whine? Your posts and name calling confirm that you are, along with other "fans" are acting entitled.

Is it ok to be disappointed? sure, i was disappointed i would not be able to race change along with my wife to viera, but am i going sit behind my keyboard, bitching and moaning about it? Nah.

Most of the people in this thread were acting civil about it, then here you come
.... How am I acting entitled.

I just said fuck off blaming the fanbase, for the dev doing something that was already vocalized to be not a cool thing. I'm not acting entitled, i'm calling you , specially you, for using shitty logic. I understand, i'm not " entitled " for any dev to do anything, I can however be upset , or even go so further to not give them my dollar.

And "Is it ok to be disappointed? sure, i was disappointed i would not be able to race change along with my wife to viera, but am i going sit behind my keyboard, bitching and moaning about it? Nah."

No one gives a shit you think you are too cool to complain, sit in your corner, and cape for a corperation that doesn't give a shit about you , to your own damn self if you are to cool to engage .

There's no one doing anything uncivilized, they are voicing disdain for a decision.

If you don't like that, you can literally not engage. Yet here you are voicing how civilized you are. Caping for a giant corporation, because that's what civility is, apperently.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
.... How am I acting entitled.

I just said fuck off blaming the fanbase, for the dev doing something that was already vocalized to be not a cool thing. I'm not acting entitled, i'm calling you , specially you, for using shitty logic. I understand, i'm not " entitled " for any dev to do anything, I can however be upset , or even go so further to not give them my dollar.

And "Is it ok to be disappointed? sure, i was disappointed i would not be able to race change along with my wife to viera, but am i going sit behind my keyboard, bitching and moaning about it? Nah."

No one gives a shit you think you are too cool to complain, sit in your corner, and cape for a corperation that doesn't give a shit about you , to your own damn self if you are to cool to engage .

There's no one doing anything uncivilized, they are voicing disdain for a decision.

If you don't like that, you can literally not engage. Yet here you are voicing how civilized you are. Caping for a giant corporation, because that's what civility is, apperently.

Lol you still dont realize you're acting entitled? You are literally calling me a corporate shill, and you some how dont realize you're acting entitled? you need to take a break from the internet and reevaluate life

And as i said, voicing disappointment in gender locking is ok, its a bad choice, but my original post was directed at those who are taking it a bit too far, kinda like how you just outted yourself being in that group

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Lol you still dont realize you're acting entitled? You are literally calling me a corporate shill, and you some how dont realize you're acting entitled? you need to take a break from the internet and reevaluate life

And as i said, voicing disappointment in gender locking is ok, its a bad choice, but my original post was directed at those who are taking it a bit too far, kinda like how you just outted yourself being in that group

... How am I acting entitled again? I never said that we were entitled to anything.

And i'm calling you a corperate goon, because you are acting like a corpeate goon. You need to take a break and reevaluate your life, if you think people reasonably complaining about a thing is some how bad for a corperate entity that you have no part in.

I didn't out myself to be anything, i called you out for being a coorperate goon. Infact in none of this conversation, I never actually indicated that was upset about the viera in the first place. I just said the decision has some sexist themes with in it.

So uh... you actually got an argument or are you gonna cry about civility or something?

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this was coming by since the Hrothgar leak, but watching this last night I was still flabbergasted that they made such an unforced error like this after adding male miqoute and femroe in 2.0

The double whammy of no new healer til 6.0 now...killed alot of my hype, the poor folks on the FFXIV reddit look like they are at a funeral.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nah Fuck off with that idea that its not the "fans" fault. Who are the people complaining? The "fans". Who are harassing Yoshi-P on the main forums and twitter? The "fans".

Everyone crying and moaning since Heavensward for viera finally got what they want, but now they are whining about not getting a male version

He specifically told you what was going to happen 6 years ago
Yeah man, and 6 years ago I would've said another Shenmue game was gonna happen. Saying that you should be basing your current-day information on 6 year old interviews, before the game was even wildly popular, is dumb as hell my dude. The fact that he stuck to his guns after 6 years is bizarre as hell since they have census data to show that the bestial/"ugly" races are a waste of development resources.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
... How am I acting entitled again? I never said that we were entitled to anything.

And i'm calling you a corperate goon, because you are acting like a corpeate goon. You need to take a break and reevaluate your life, if you think people reasonably complaining about a thing is some how bad for a corperate entity that you have no part in.

I didn't out myself to be anything, i called you out for being a coorperate goon. Infact in none of this conversation, I never actually indicated that was upset about the viera in the first place. I just said the decision has some sexist themes with in it.

So uh... you actually got an argument or are you gonna cry about civility or something?

You expected a version of something that never existing in the first place, and now that its confirmed it does not exist for now, you're whining about not having it. Entitlement

And if you think voicing a counter argument for a decision made by a team of developers makes you a corporate shill, you must have a pretty narrow and linear view of the world.

I feel bad for you

Yeah man, and 6 years ago I would've said another Shenmue game was gonna happen. Saying that you should be basing your current-day information on 6 year old interviews, before the game was even wildly popular, is dumb as hell my dude. The fact that he stuck to his guns after 6 years is bizarre as hell since they have census data to show that the bestial/"ugly" races are a waste of development resources.

Ya i do get things can change over that long of a period of time, but sometimes, like this, it happened exactly as he said it did. So being surprised that there is no male, *for now* is kind of a hard thing to do

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ya i do get things can change over that long of a period of time, but sometimes, like this, it happened exactly as he said it did. So being surprised that there is no male, *for now* is kind of a hard thing to do
I really don't like the "for now" argument people are putting out. There's no precedent for them adding something of that scope inside of individual patches. I'm sure they're going to hear people loud and clear about how much they dislike this decision, but telling people that they should wait and see is naive and dismissive at best. I'm certain it's a possibility, but I ain't holdin' out hope because I have no reason to believe I should.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Totally pathetic that they're hiding behind a self-imposed lore, because "Male Viera would be weird" -
They didn't hide themselves behind lore. Yoshida said that it was a lot of work because the team wanted to create two races but two genders for each was beyond their scope. He also said that they will receive specific customization changes for gear considering their body shape (like making bunny ears visible or whatever)

Pablosamo

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I don't see an issue. Viera are clearly feminine.

So now we need male Amazons cause "they write the lore"?, I mean, now we need males on that Wonder Woman island?.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't like the "for now" argument people are putting out. There's no precedent for them adding something of that scope inside of individual patches. I'm sure they're going to hear people loud and clear about how much they dislike this decision, but telling people that they should wait and see is naive and dismissive at best. I'm certain it's a possibility, but I ain't holdin' out hope because I have no reason to believe I should.

I am saying for now simply because there is still a day or two left in the fan fest, it could happen, but not holding my breath. But they did add other male/female counterparts before too

Village

Oct 25, 2017
You expected a version of something that never existing in the first place, and now that its confirmed it does not exist for now, you're whining about not having it. Entitlement

en·ti·tle·ment
/inˈtīdlmənt,enˈtīdlmənt/
noun
noun: entitlement; plural noun: entitlements
  1. the fact of having a right to something.
    "full entitlement to fees and maintenance should be offered"
    synonyms:right, prerogative, claim, title, license; More
    permission, dispensation, privilege, liberty
    "their entitlement to social-security benefits"
    • the amount to which a person has a right.
      "annual leave entitlement"
      synonyms:allowance, allocation, allotment, quota, ration, grant, limit
      "your annual holiday entitlement"
    • the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.
      "no wonder your kids have a sense of entitlement"

I uh.. not don't think you know what that word means. I hope those checks SE aren't paying you are worth it. I was just expecting them to not fuck up the same way again, and now I'm disappointing. And am criticizing that decision.

Dissapointment and critcism , not entitlement. Maybe one day square enix will pay you and you can take some english classes yeah?
And if you think voicing a counter argument for a decision made by a team of developers makes you a corporate shill, you must have a pretty narrow and linear view of the world.

I feel bad for you
Yes I do think blaming the fans for being upset for these devs making the exact same mistake that was made before, is being a corperate goon. I also think that you suggesting that voicing those criticisms is somehow inherently harassment, is also corporate goonery

My view of the world isn't narrow, I just don't have time for the bullshit you keep spewing

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018

So now we need male Amazons cause "they write the lore"?, I mean, now we need males on that Wonder Woman island?.

But male viera are part of the lore?

Also White Mages are only for Padjal but that doesn't stop them from running around all over the place?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I am saying for now simply because there is still a day or two left in the fan fest, it could happen, but not holding my breath. But they did add other male/female counterparts before too
Sorry--edited my answer but realized it would be hard to reply to!

They were literally destroying the game world when they added the male/female counterparts. It's a weak argument to say they've done it in the past when they were already soft-rebooting the game, moving the graphics engine around, and generally changing the entire world. It was an easy time to add those character models. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of precedent for them listening. But I'm not holding my breath that they'll be able to do anything with the feedback they're 100% going to get.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

They aren't amazons, they are Viera. The context of WW's island and this are two different things

Two... why can't there just be feminine dudes...? They could have also just had pretty boys.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
en·ti·tle·ment
/inˈtīdlmənt,enˈtīdlmənt/
noun
noun: entitlement; plural noun: entitlements
  1. the fact of having a right to something.
    "full entitlement to fees and maintenance should be offered"
    synonyms:right, prerogative, claim, title, license; More
    permission, dispensation, privilege, liberty
    "their entitlement to social-security benefits"
    • the amount to which a person has a right.
      "annual leave entitlement"
      synonyms:allowance, allocation, allotment, quota, ration, grant, limit
      "your annual holiday entitlement"
    • the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.
      "no wonder your kids have a sense of entitlement"

I uh.. not don't think you know what that word means. I hope those checks SE aren't paying you are worth it. I was just expecting them to not fuck up the same way again, and now I'm disappointing. And am criticizing that decision.

Dissapointment and critcism , not entitlement. Maybe one day square enix will pay you and you can take some english classes yeah?

Yes I do think blaming the fans for being upset for these devs making the exact same mistake that was made before, is being a corperate goon. I also think that you suggesting that voicing those criticisms is somehow inherently harassment, is also corporate goonery

My view of the world isn't narrow, I just don't have time for the bullshit you keep spewing

LOL
you literally had to google the definition of the word and yet still somehow proved my point. You seem to have plenty of time for "the bullshit im spewing" because you're still replying

Sorry--edited my answer but realized it would be hard to reply to!

They were literally destroying the game world when they added the male/female counterparts. It's a weak argument to say they've done it in the past when they were already soft-rebooting the game, moving the graphics engine around, and generally changing the entire world. It was an easy time to add those character models. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of precedent for them listening. But I'm not holding my breath that they'll be able to do anything with the feedback they're 100% going to get.

I mean they are technically doing the same thing with "the source" and "the first" maybe on that new world? but i agree, not holding my breath

Village

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (48 hours): Thread derailment, hostility against another user.
LOL
you literally had to google the definition of the word and yet still somehow proved my point.
...Damn son you didn't even read my response. I litterally layed out how what you said doesn't make sense , and you just ignored it. So is this like an alt account or what?
Burner where you spew dissentious under the surface alt-right support, is that what we are doing right now? Because if it is, please tell me. I'll just leave you be to be vile or whatever

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
...Damn son you didn't even read my response. I litterally layed out how what you said doesn't make sense , and you just ignored it. So is this like an alt account or what?
Burner where you spew dissentious under the surface alt-right support, is that what we are doing right now? Because if it is, please tell me. I'll just leave you be to be vile or whatever
Yo what the fuck. Calm down. You can literally see that it isn't the case.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017

lol now counter arguments make me alt right? Lol i grew up liberal. I vote liberal. I unfriened people who turned out to be alt right.

Discussion aside, its pretty low to assume someone is alt right simply because they dont agree with you.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Yo what the fuck. Calm down. You can literally see that it isn't the case.
How so, his initial response is complaining about people complaining. I tell him, that's kind of bullshit. He then suggests , and even in his initial argument that I am and everyone else are acting entitled by voicing said complaints. I think ask him, why he's doing this and claim he's caping for a corperation I also open him up for him to show me how I was being entitled.

Not only does he never do this, he never actually confronts any of my arguments whatsoever.

So I don't want to believe the guy's stupid or some idiot.

So either's he's being disingenuous and has other motives

Or he's an idiot caping for a corporation that doesn't know what words mean

lol now counter arguments make me alt right? Lol i grew up liberal. I vote liberal. I unfriened people who turned out to be alt right.

calm down

Oh, so you are actually being dumb , caping for a corporation and does not know what words mean. Got it.

I don't know how else to respond, you never actually argued any my points and showed yourself to be not that smart trying to be smart.

Dunno where to go from here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Discussion aside, its pretty low to assume someone is alt right simply because they dont agree with you.
Then maybe you should look at what you are actually saying? You are accusing people of criticising a sexist gender locked race design as entitled and harassing the devs by complaining about it - this is basic stuff I've seen alt-right people do on forums to shut down legit criticism coming from minorities. You can disagree with the criticism without refering to the people bringing it up as "entitled" or "harassment". It's not hard.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sexist argument is that the Veira are designed around qualities straight male players find sexually appealing, while the Ronso have qualities straight males want to embody.

Gender locking races in FFXIV, an MMO heavy on self expression, is a disservice to people who want to play races and character designs that suit their preferences. This is why the male Miqo'te are so popular with queer men, and why male Viera were so anticipated by people who want to play sexy, sleeker, less traditionally masculine male characters.
I can get behind this point of view. Kind of like why A17 is so popular in DBZ because he's the only male character on that show with that body type. All the other males, even the short ones, are just bulky muscle-heads so he stands out more.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (48 hours): Thread derailment, hostility against another user.
Then maybe you should look at what you are actually saying? You are accusing people of criticising a sexist gender locked race design as entitled and harassing the devs by complaining about it - this is basic stuff I've seen alt-right people do on forums to shut down legit criticism coming from minorities. You can disagree with the criticism without refering to the people bringing it up as "entitled" or "harassment". It's not hard.

i did not say once it was not sexist. Its ok to call it sexist because it is. My point was different, harassing devs over the exclusion of a male viera is counter productive and wont accomplish anything. And it rarely does

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How so, his initial response is complaining about people complaining. I tell him, that's kind of bullshit. He then suggests , and even in his initial argument that I am and everyone else are acting entitled by voicing said complaints. I think ask him, why he's doing this and claim he's caping for a corperation I also open him up for him to show me how I was being entitled.

Not only does he never do this, he never actually confronts any of my arguments whatsoever.

So I don't want to believe the guy's stupid or some idiot.

So either's he's being disingenuous and has other motives

Or he's an idiot caping for a corporation that doesn't know what words mean

Oh, so you are actually being dumb , caping for a corporation and does not know what words mean. Got it.

I don't know how else to respond, you never actually argued any my points and showed yourself to be not that smart trying to be smart.

Dunno where to go from here.
Right. Just because you don't like how someone is arguing against your specific points does not make them alt right, you ninny. That's a nasty accusation when someone just thinks that a lot of the fan backlash isn't proportional to what's going on. Especially because the post count is too high to be a burner, plus join date. Learn 2 forum.

The fans got part of what they asked for, taken at face value. They wanted Viera, they got Viera in the only way they've ever been presented. Does that make it any less dumb? Absolutely not. But there is half an argument to be made for getting what you asked for and not what you wanted.

The sexist discussion is 110% valid and the discussion that should be happening.

It's bizarre that JP devs still seem somewhat out-of-touch with the self-expression that an MMO inherently has. It's why a lot of people with severe social anxieties and depression are drawn to them; It's a world where they can easily be who and what they want. Taking that option away for an incredibly arbitrary reason is... dumb. The only reasons we have so far are so, so vapid. One is Yoshi-P literally going "lol that'd be weird" and the other is Development Resources. Which is fair, I guess, but they're still devoting time and money to a race that census data has shown in the past to be a complete waste of time.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
i did not say once it was not sexist. Its ok to call it sexist because it is. My point was different, harassing devs over the exclusion of a male viera is counter productive and wont accomplish anything. And it rarely does
People pay a monthly subscription to this game. I think we have a right to voice our criticism over a decision we dislike.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
i did not say once it was not sexist. Its ok to call it sexist because it is. My point was different, harassing devs over the exclusion of a male viera is counter productive and wont accomplish anything. People whining on forums probably wont change the devs mind, unless they already had plans to surprise people with a male counterpart
How is anything in this thread harassment? And people are allowed to complain about it - it's the only way things get changed, not just in this game, but so other devs see the issue and don't repeat it. Bringing up sexist game decisions is not "whining" and most of your posts are about shutting the discussion down which ends up shutting down minorities voices down as well.

Right. Just because you don't like how someone is arguing against your specific points does not make them alt right, you ninny. That's a nasty accusation when someone just thinks that a lot of the fan backlash isn't proportional to what's going on. Especially because the post count is too high to be a burner, plus join date. Learn 2 forum.

The fans got part of what they asked for, taken at face value. They wanted Viera, they got Viera in the only way they've ever been presented. Does that make it any less dumb? Absolutely not. But there is half an argument to be made for getting what you asked for and not what you wanted.

The sexist discussion is 110% valid and the discussion that should be happening.

It's bizarre that JP devs still seem somewhat out-of-touch with the self-expression that an MMO inherently has. It's why a lot of people with severe social anxieties and depression are drawn to them; It's a world where they can easily be who and what they want. Taking that option away for an incredibly arbitrary reason is... dumb.
He's discribing pretty much all the discussion about it as "whining" and "entitled" and actually as "harassment". Those types of words are designed to shut discussion down. I haven't seen anything in this thread that goes into harassment terriotory. Just people disappointed about a sexist game decision.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How is anything in this thread harassment? And people are allowed to complain about it - it's the only way things get changed, not just in this game, but so other devs see the issue and don't repeat it. Bringing up sexist game decisions is not "whining" and most of your posts are about shutting the discussion down which ends up shutting down minorities voices down as well.

He's discribing pretty much all the discussion about it as "whining" and "entitled" and actually as "harassment". Those types of words are designed to shut discussion down. I haven't seen anything in this thread that goes into harassment terriotory. Just people disappointed about a sexist game decision.
See: Reddit. Not on this forum but the OF, Reddit, and Twitter have been popping off for a long time and will continue to do so. Maybe harass isn't exactly the perfect word, but you'll have to forgive me for not dog-piling someone for a single poor choice of word. The Reddit mods are currently having to work pretty damn hard to curtail some of the bullshit going on over there.

There is a level of entitlement. I don't necessarily agree that it's a primary, driving factor, because it's wholly based on precedent and has a lot of underlying issues (see: self expression and sexism). But people saw Viera and assumed they'd get male/female. It was an assumption that was wrong, and now people are upset. Understandably so, but nonetheless.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything that I saw since Final Fantasy Tatics Advance doesn't show a male Viera in any scope. Even when the talks are about a possibility of existing one, it's always in the ideas field, and people generally talks about how the males of the species are feral/barbaric if compared with the female ones.

Of course that isn't written on stone, and they actually could bring something that justifies how the both genders are segregated from each other, but since isn't something official so far, we can only assume that they doesn't exist.
Ivalice =/= Eorzea, miss me with that and they can change/retcon the lore whichever way they want.
I can kinda see Viera because the whole idea of the race is that there just aren't male Viera bodies. Maybe you should be able to identify as the other gender in game even if the body looks like the one sex? But I'm sure some people will not find that satisfying.
They've already shown sketch designs of male Viera. On some level it was thought of and scrapped because "lorrrrrrrrreeeeee" or "male bunnies would be weird 🤔."

Funny part is, it STILL could happen, we could still could get male's in 5.1 or 5.2 and we dont know it
You aren't the first person to say it "could happen" and at this point, it just seems like handwaving/telling people to shut up because they're upset about it in the off chance they might(which without confirmation is disingenuous at best) get it later. You might as well be arguing in bad faith.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
See: Reddit. Not on this forum but the OF, Reddit, and Twitter have been popping off for a long time and will continue to do so. Maybe harass isn't exactly the perfect word, but you'll have to forgive me for not dog-piling someone for a single poor choice of word. The Reddit mods are currently having to work pretty damn hard to curtail some of the bullshit going on over there.

There is a level of entitlement. I don't necessarily agree that it's a primary, driving factor, because it's wholly based on precedent and has a lot of underlying issues (see: self expression and sexism). But people saw Viera and assumed they'd get male/female. It was an assumption that was wrong, and now people are upset. Understandably so, but nonetheless.
People have a right to complain. We pay for this game every month.

People complain about mechanics, jobs, content and options ALL THE TIME in MMO's and guess what? it's for the purpose that Dev's can listen and implement changes. This isn't new but apparently the moment people get upset over a sexist decision suddenly all these posters pop up claiming everyone is entitled and is outraged for nothing.

This all ignoring the fact that I don't see half as many of these people saying the same over the complaints about Dancer not being a healer.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
People have a right to complain. We pay for this game every month.

People complain about mechanics, jobs, content and options ALL THE TIME in MMO's and guess what? it's for the purpose that Dev's can listen and implement changes. This isn't new but apparently the moment people get upset over a sexist decision suddenly all these posters pop up claiming everyone is entitled and is outraged for nothing.

This all ignoring the fact that I don't see half as many of these people saying the same over the complaints about Dancer not being a healer.

There's a marked difference between complaining and being nasty. Again, the Reddit mods are working overtime in an effort to keep the discussion civil. This discussion had to have a mod reminder to stay civil. Clearly there's a different tone and cadence behind how people are discussing the gender lock. Dancer not being a healer is a totally different argument because it's just rooted in "I don't like it".

Viera is a much more nuanced discussion that deserves some focus. Not everyone is even discussing it as a form of sexism. You're being disingenuous by trying to frame this as just a sexist thing. It's self-expression, it's sexism (though that's a deeper discussion because it doesn't even look sexist at first glance, at least not in a more muanced fashion) and it's just a plain ol' dumb decision.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really a matter of resources, it's completely intentional because for some reason male rabbits are weird to Naoki Yoshida aka half-naked bunny sexdolls are fine but god forbid having to make a male counterpart (from a 2013 interview):

ca1q5hg9ntn21.png

Well, there it is. And yet you have people in here believing the budget constraints nonsense the team used as an excuse.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a marked difference between complaining and being nasty. Again, the Reddit mods are working overtime in an effort to keep the discussion civil. This discussion had to have a mod reminder to stay civil. Clearly there's a different tone and cadence behind how people are discussing the gender lock. Dancer not being a healer is a totally different argument because it's just rooted in "I don't like it".

Viera is a much more nuanced discussion that deserves some focus. Not everyone is even discussing it as a form of sexism. You're being disingenuous by trying to frame this as just a sexist thing. It's self-expression, it's sexism (though that's a deeper discussion because it doesn't even look sexist at first glance, at least not in a more muanced fashion) and it's just a plain ol' dumb decision.
I'm curious as to what qualifies being nasty behaviour? Labelling this decision as sexist which it 100% is?

Dancer being DPS is way bigger than that. Healers have been stuck with 3 jobs for 4 years meanwhile DPS is at 10 options now. XIV needs more players to try healers and tanks and yet they continue to add DPS. Tank received Gunbreaker as an incentive to try the role yet healers still have nothing and are plagued already with balance issues that they don't even address.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Viera are such a disappointment. They look like shit in FFXII and awesome in FFTA. The fucking heels alone are such bullshit.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well, there it is. And yet you have people in here believing the budget constraints nonsense the team used as an excuse.
How is this nonsense ? They have male viera concept arts, and they are a definite part of the lore they wrote. We have never seen two races released at the same time in the history of the MMO, surely this is a point worth considering.

This is an interview from all the way back to 2013 too.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
Dancer being DPS is way bigger than that. Healers have been stuck with 3 jobs for 4 years meanwhile DPS is at 10 options now. XIV needs more players to try healers and tanks and yet they continue to add DPS. Tank received Gunbreaker as an incentive to try the role yet healers still have nothing and are plagued already with balance issues that they don't even address.

Hold up. I really have to put a stop to this whole "dps at 10 options now" thing that people keep parading. People that have been playing the range physical support role don't have 10 options, they have 2 with 1 being the least played job in the whole game for 2 expansions in a row.

Dancer is a range physical support. There are currently only 2 of them, with 1 (MCH) of them being the last played class by a mile in end game content. No, its not about the class being weak, even when MCH was the 2nd strongest dps while bringing support skills it was still the least played class by a large margin even when compared to the 2nd least played job. Range physical support is basically a require slot for any end game encounter, you won't see any raid group not bring one no matter their skill level due to the support (mp/tp recovery, raid defense). So realistically people have been stuck on bard for years.

Dancer is a much needed addition to the range support role. Bard is like 5x more played than machinist, so they need to shake up that whole role.

This isn't the most accurate proof but can give you a gauge at how the range physical dynamic is currently.
https://www.fflogs.com/zone/statistics/25/#dataset=10

Thats bard at nearly 21k logs uploaded and less than 5k on machinist. And this isn't about "o bards are stronger", this is about machinist is just not fun for most people regardless of how strong it is.

So people who have been playing support range physical have been stuck on bard for 5-6 years.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
How is this nonsense ? They have male viera concept arts, and they are a definite part of the lore they wrote. We have never seen two races released at the same time in the history of the MMO, surely this is a point worth considering.

This is an interview from all the way back to 2013 too.

That they chose to release two different races over having sexy bunny boys sure is a point worth considering, yeah. Lore doesn't mean anything for those asking for playables.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
That they chose to release two different races over having sexy bunny boys sure is a point worth considering, yeah. Lore doesn't mean anything for those asking for playables.

I'm saying what's worth considering is budget/time constraints, and I used the lore to say that male viera *can** be a part of the ff14 universe...

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Hold up. I really have to put a stop to this whole "dps at 10 options now" thing that people keep parading. People that have been playing the range physical support role don't have 10 options, they have 2 with 1 being the least played job in the whole game for 2 expansions in a row.

Dancer is a range physical support. There are currently only 2 of them, with 1 (MCH) of them being the last played class by a mile in end game content. No, its not about the class being weak, even when MCH was the 2nd strongest dps while bringing support skills it was still the least played class by a large margin even when compared to the 2nd least played job. Range physical support is basically a require slot for any end game encounter, you won't see any raid group not bring one no matter their skill level due to the support (mp/tp recovery, raid defense). So realistically people have been stuck on bard for years.

Dancer is a much needed addition to the range support role. Bard is like 5x more played than machinist, so they need to shake up that whole role.

This isn't the most accurate proof but can give you a gauge at how the range physical dynamic is currently.
https://www.fflogs.com/zone/statistics/25/#dataset=10

Thats bard at nearly 21k logs uploaded and less than 5k on machinist. And this isn't about "o bards are stronger", this is about machinist is just not fun for most people regardless of how strong it is.

So people who have been playing support range physical have been stuck on bard for 5-6 years.
FFXIV-Tokyo-Shot-23.png

It's DPS. It doesn't matter if the type of DPS is smaller it still is a DPS class. Trying to argue that 10 DPS options is wrong is a ridiculous stance to take becuase it's a fact there is now 10 DPS.

You have every right to feel that because the type of DPS doesn't have many options this decision is okay but others can be against the idea that DPS now has 10 playable options.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying what's worth considering is budget/time constraints, and I used the lore to say that male viera *can** be a part of the ff14 universe...

You don't at all think that their stance on this from a previous interview translating into the outcome we have now is at all suspicious? Again, *can* is of no consequence to those that want to play the male bunny now, is it? Developers can do a lot but choose not to, so it is difficult to see that as a positive.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV-Tokyo-Shot-23.png

It's DPS. It doesn't matter if the type of DPS is smaller it still is a DPS class. Trying to argue that 10 DPS options is wrong is a ridiculous stance to take becuase it's a fact there is now 10 DPS.

You have every right to feel that because the type of DPS doesn't have many options this decision is okay but others can be against the idea that DPS now has 10 playable options.

I mean its convenient to ignore all context if it fits your argument, sure.

But to ignore that they clearly designated a support role that is vital to any raid group is silly. How many of those 10 dps fill that role? 2 with 1 being literally a dead job for majority of the playerbase. Yeah the game has 10 dps jobs but tell any raid group that their only support job is going samurai/ninja/monk/dragoon/red mage/black mage/ summoner and see what kind of response you'll get. In the context of end game, there is a designated spot for support dps.

It even says clearly "Range support" in your pic.

What role restores a large amount of mp/tp to the party, and have support skills tied to their role skill action?

Ignoring that ppl been stuck on bard (and to a lesser ext) machinist for 4-5 years is just awfully nice because it fits your narrative.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
You don't at all think that their stance on this from a previous interview translating into the outcome we have now is at all suspicious? Again, *can* is of no consequence to those that want to play the male bunny now, is it? Developers can do a lot but choose not to, so it is difficult to see that as a positive.
I'm not framing anything as a positive, I just don't feel this is a nonsense excuse, however ff14 always had gender disparity issues since 1.0. They should have had just focused on one race, and kept both genders

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Eh I wouldn't take that interview response as much on an indication of why we don't have male Viera. Back in 2015 they showed concept art of Viera which included a coupe of concepts for male Viera, they're clearly open to the idea.