• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jijidasu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
You don't see what's bad in Sexy Playboy Bunny female exclusive "beast" race vs. less humanly, more beastly male exclusive lion race?

If there were some political agenda behind the action, sure, I would, but I don't think there was any malice or sexism intended in the choice. It looks as though they largely took the exact recipe from FF12 and pasted it into FF14. I'm certain there are other workload related reasons why too, and giving more (in terms of 2 races over 1) is just good business in terms of quantity.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
If there were some political agenda behind the action, sure, I would, but I don't think there was any malice or sexism intended in the choice. It looks as though they largely took the exact recipe from FF12 and pasted it into FF14. I'm certain there are other workload related reasons why too, and giving more (in terms of 2 races over 1) is just good business in terms of quantity.
I'm sorry, what?

No malice, sure, but there was CERTAINLY sexism behind the choice. There's absolutely no way you could argue otherwise. The sheer fact that the female Viera are the default in FFXII alone was a big red flag, to say nothing of the way they're dressed. They may not have been intentionally trying to tell women that "hey, you're not allowed to be anything other than sexy" but they're sure as hell saying it anyway.

Jijidasu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'm sorry, what?

No malice, sure, but there was CERTAINLY sexism behind the choice. There's absolutely no way you could argue otherwise. The sheer fact that the female Viera are the default in FFXII alone was a big red flag, to say nothing of the way they're dressed. They may not have been intentionally trying to tell women that "hey, you're not allowed to be anything other than sexy" but they're sure as hell saying it anyway.

I have to agree in the disappointment that the aesthetic is being used as a marketable device (for the record, I do not agree with how the female body is used as a device for marketing - Want to make that clear so I don't sound like I'm supportive of it) and unfortunately, living here in Japan you do find that being far more common than most places overseas.

I would like to see what SE have to say, first, in regards to the the criticism. That will certainly paint a clearer picture as to what is going on.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Spineless and lazy. Was actually considering resubbing, but this kind of shit bothers me more than I'd realized. Same reason I can't get into TERA or most Korean MMOs. It's inexcuseable for a game that prides itself on customization, too.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Like what? JRPG's especially final fantasy have been full of androgynous male characters.

Androgynous insofar as people being bad at identifying male characters who don't look straight up like the ideal male character from western games. Only actual androgynous ones that i would agree with is Kuja.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I remember looking into this back when I first played it. I also talked to every NPC on my recent TZA playthrough. Not a single mention. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure they're never mentioned in Tactics Advance or A2 either, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

I could have sworn I saw some FF12 art that showed male viera, but such art probably came way after. Earliest mention to them (that isn't purely conjecture) I can find in one page of google results (because I'm lazy) is from 2009. It seems in FFTA supplementary material, possibly an Ultimania, it was said they live in separate communities from women. You do seem to be correct that they're never referenced within the games themselves, which is laaaame. :p

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Also, what's the point of having 2 cat like races?
The Hrothgar are a waste. The whole thing is a shambles.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Of course there is sexism and politics involved. And no matter if malice is involved, such blatantly objectifying crap is still a negative, no matter if this was done in the past too. And these are beast races. They could've just made the women and men look very similar in terms of body structure to offload some of the workload. No need to make sexy, near human-like female versions and buff, beastly male ones.

Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn I saw some FF12 art that showed male viera, but such art probably came way after. Earliest mention to them (that isn't purely conjecture) I can find in one page of google results (because I'm lazy) is from 2009. It seems in FFTA supplementary material, possibly an Ultimania, it was said they live in separate communities from women. You do seem to be correct that they're never referenced within the games themselves, which is laaaame. :p

Yeah. That must be the Matsuno interview I was thinking of. i do like that he expanded on that and incorporated it into XIV.
It's super lame that they aren't playable though. It's said that only 1 in 10 Viera are born male, but nobody can even tell the sex until puberty. At which point the males will take the newly found males with them when they leave after their current mating binge.
I think 1 in 10 is about the same ratio as Miqo'te, so it's really no excuse.

Fair enough. I'm curious about this though. What do you mean by it's how they breed?

Viera give live birth after a pregnancy resulting from the fertilization of their ovum by the sperm of a male during sexual intercourse.

lol, what else could it mean?

Last edited:

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
All I wanted were small bunny boys so I could recreate that image of that rabbit liking another that's four times its size! C'mon!

Seriously though the cat man race is bad and male Vieras should be real. Also no one should be talking about canon being a valid excuse for anything in FFXIV as I ride my Rathalos and Whisper mounts into the sunset on my way to Nier Automata fun land.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I thought that's an interesting idea to introduce limitations in a game previously without them but ok.

Laille

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed, but don't think this is anything but them not having adequate time and resources. More disappointed with the lack of a new healer than anything else.

Will stay miqo'te for now.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I feel like their implementation of a male Viera race would wind up even worse than it's exclusion. Highly sexualised female bunnies vs their rather tame, "skinny but I'm still dark so be happy with what you got" head ass male counterparts...

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that's an interesting idea to introduce limitations in a game previously without them but ok.

1.0 of FFXIV had limitations in that there were only female Miqo'te and male Roegadyn, with "lore reasons" cited when asked about the restrictions. The decision was deeply unpopular, and as a result they did not have any restrictions in place at all when ARR launched. They said they wouldn't make the same mistake again... and then they made the same mistake again.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nobody wanted this.

As revealed during their Keynote, Viera are a female locked race, Hrothgar (read: Ronso) are male locked race.

Before anyone starts "well the lore says...", keep in mind that both Male Viera and Female Hrothgar exist according to lore and even if they didn't, they write the damned lore. Because god forbid they have lean, "sexy" high-heels wearing men and buff lion women.

Gender-lock me if old.

Contrast this with what Bloodlines 2 is doing.
Seriously guys, if you truly care. This game should get boycotted.

I wish Japanese devs looked at where the world was culturally

You can in TESO. And not sure but Everquest too?

Also Guild Wars 2. The Japanese typically don't like "big and tough" women

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
95% of the men that play FF14 run around as a scantily dressed female avatar as it stands lol.

But they probably should have done male and female.

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I dunno, is getting two different gendered races as opposed to one multi-gendered race really all that different, especially when

A) They might add the other genders later

and

B) The Au Ra are basically as different as these two anyway

I'd rather they add Ronso and Viera both in a limited state and update them later then only release one with two genders, if both are going to be in the lore of the expansion.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Give the people what they want! Lean sexy bunny dudes and muscly burly sexy gals!

RIOOOOOOOTTT!

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017

They tried it before and players made it known they didn't enjoy genderlocking.

I think it's also not that hard to believe most people will prefer having a wider amount of options over arbitrary limits in character creation every time. Especially when it's another "supermodel ladies with animal ears" vs "buff beastly animal men" thing that's been done a bunch already and could have stood to present more options for supermodel dudes and beastly women.

Were people angry about all Viera being female in FFTA and FFXII too or is this a new thing?

Times have changed, also people tend to care more about customization options for character creators, so they can make the kind of characters they want to see or envision themselves as.

Edit: I will say even back then I did absolutely think it was BS that Viera and Bangaa seemed to be exclusively female and male, respectively, and of course the Bangaa are more beastly and not hot men with animal parts glued on.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Strong and muscular race in one side. Supermodel body in lingerie race in the other, WHAT GENDER WILL BE EACH?!!!

Ayyy SE, one step forwards and two back, like you always do.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to start Stormblood but i'll definitely be changing to Viera when I get the chance. Absolutely love this game.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
wasn't mithra only female in XI and then they made them basically both genders in XIV in miqo'te

Why the hell can't they make sexy bunny males if they could do it for the cat race.

Grow some balls square!!!!!

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I'm gonna jump into Shadowbringers Dark Knight or White Mage first, but if it's DRK I'm gonna change to Hrothgar. I like their look for a tank, but not much else.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
wasn't mithra only female in XI and then they made them basically both genders in XIV in miqo'te

Why the hell can't they make sexy bunny males if they could do it for the cat race.

Grow some balls square!!!!!

Yep, and male miqote and female roeg in FF14 are great. Male viera would be cool, too. Guess we have to wait for FF17 for that, though.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
would be very surprised if the other gender for these races aren't released in the future
easy money for yoship

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think its a question of balls or cowardice but moreso a question of resources

they probably wanted to add 2 races, didn't have enough time so did one gender of each race for the meantime

Yoshi-P's rationale (2013)

Ketaya

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
This isn't really a matter of resources, it's completely intentional because for some reason male rabbits are weird to Naoki Yoshida aka half-naked bunny sexdolls are fine but god forbid having to make a male counterpart (from a 2013 interview):

ca1q5hg9ntn21.png

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
The JP community are not at all happy about this either, nobody is happy about this, this is probably the dumbest move the team could've done and they deserve the backlash they get for this

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about decent human people (I'm an expert), but gender equality and inclusiveness are huge parts of it. It's not like it was in the old generations where you could become successful by being an asshole. If you show sexism over in 2019, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the FFXIV public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the next expansion for any system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and announce male Viera and female Hrothgar or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with this.

I have no interest in Viera and would have stuck with my Hyur character for Shadowbringers, but now that they're adding something else I might use a fantasia potion to become Lucci.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
a cool-ass male viera would be cool. However I think the default costume of femViera is just because that's what Fran wears, people would have been PISSED if it wasn't included, I think she's the most popular character in FF12 because you know...horny (and also because it is a fucking crime we can't play as a bangaa or seeq or garif, or nu mou, or moogle, especially since there are female Bangaa)

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
They should've made Viera male-only. There's already 2 races with animal features and a small/traditionally "cute" female option and they're damn near played by everyone.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Did they undo the stupid Au'ra sexual dimorphism?

No?

Squeenix is fucking sexist.
Well, the Au'ra are lizard people. Lizards have a ton of sexual dimorphism. It makes sense that the females are 2x-3x the size of the males.

...Of course, that's not what happened, is it?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Quite disappointing. On the other hand, glad to see for once an actual non-human looking race being playable. Though wish that genders was a choice available.