• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 11, 2017
That's cool and all but Dauntless went the Epic account route, and if they went with MS maybe it would be PC+Xbox, or just no cross play since it's all or nothing for some developers (for example Tekken dev not picking at least two to cross play with PC instead of just not doing it at all).
Not accurate playfab supports all consoles and networks

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Something had to have gotten lost in translation in their negotiations then. Every crossplay game that can crossplay between PS4 and XB1 (Fortnite and Dauntless) have cross-communication - And Microsoft is literally funding the localization of an MMO with crossplay.

I wonder if the distinction is text vs voice.

Does Dauntless have text chat on Xbox? I believe it does on PS4 but I'm not positive.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Except Microsoft makes a cross platform API, that supports cross platform chat?

Think this is a bigger problem, what chat/api service is FFXIV using? Because if it isn't playfab, they aren't going to suddenly change it to that API to just appease MS regulations.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Think this is a bigger problem, what chat/api service is FFXIV using? Because if it isn't playfab, they aren't going to suddenly change it to that API to just appease MS regulations.
Dauntless, Fortnite and Rocket league don't use Playfab, I don't know why you think MS is forcing people to use their API.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Not accurate playfab supports all consoles and networks
I don't doubt that, but I'm not talking about how easy it would be to get it working on all platforms, but Sony willingness to simply allow crossplay. Epic already had a in, and apparently one that didn't require much negotiations, so we have a simple and clean Dauntless crossplay with a indy game, and maybe some Epic thumbs on the scale thanks to Dauntless being Epic Store exclusive on PC.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Is that a hint that FFXIV is coming to Stadia? I'd order the Founder's Edition right now if they announce that.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hello, that was my interview! So sorry that it went up so close to the Shadowbringers early access. I knew the Crossplay bit was going to be important and I had to make sure that was one of the limited number of questions I was permitted to ask

Massively also posted their piece from the interview as well here: https://massivelyop.com/2019/05/29/...ringers-tour-an-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

Yoshida was also asked about more cross-platform options, and not for the first time, he stated that the big reason the game is not on the Xbox One is because Microsoft has regulations that make it impossible to allow for real crossplay. Microsoft's rules state that there can be no cross-platform chat and communities formed only with other Xbox console players, both of which are incompatible with the nature of FFXIV. Until they change those rules, it's not happening; at the same time, the staff is hoping that will be changed because they'd love to welcome the Xbox One community to the title.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hello, that was my interview! So sorry that it went up so close to the Shadowbringers early access. I knew the Crossplay bit was going to be important and I had to make sure that was one of the limited number of questions I was permitted to ask

Massively also posted their piece from the interview as well here: https://massivelyop.com/2019/05/29/...ringers-tour-an-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

Given this additional view on it, does dauntless or PSO2 have the 'option' to seek or form communities with specific people from specific consoles or has the ability to seek out players from a specific console in matchmaking? If so this might be the real issue. Yoshida went to great length to hide what platform you were using to play the game, you were matched only in game stuff like jobs and your language. There is literally no otherway to tell if they play on PS4, or Steam or PC version of the game outside of someone literally telling you that.

Oct 26, 2017
Do present crossplay titles always have an option to turn off crossplay? And FFXIV doesn't want to present that option?

That's the only thing that comes to mind.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

Teh, yeah I doubt Square would give Xbox their own server or whatever it is they require (xbox only server seems to be it, for at least a option for people that don't want to play with PC and PS4 players).

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would suck if Xbox has some weird policy preventing cross platform MMO's

They are the one genre I feel would benefit the most from full cross play. They always seem to struggle on console so combining the userbases would be great.

Also I wonder if the FFXIV subscription also being purchased directly from SE plays a part here. MS wouldnt get that cut.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Given this additional view on it, does dauntless or PSO2 have the 'option' to seek or form communities with specific people from specific consoles or has the ability to seek out players from a specific console in matchmaking? If so this might be the real issue. Yoshida went to great length to hide what platform you were using to play the game, you were matched only in game stuff like jobs and your language. There is literally no otherway to tell if they play on PS4, or Steam or PC version of the game outside of someone literally telling you that.

Anecdotally, when I'm playing on PS4, I can tell who the other PS4 players are because it shows their PS tag when you examine them. It doesn't say the platform, just 'online ID'

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe Microsoft still won't abide by Yoshis requests. This game is huge and it would do well on Xbox I believe so what's the hold up? If crossplay is available for other titles why stop here?

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, when I'm playing on PS4, I can tell who the other PS4 players are because it shows their PS tag when you examine them. It doesn't say the platform, just 'online ID'

Well that's kinda what I mean, there are other ways you could tell someone was playing on a console (PS3 for instance it was always how long it took them to get into an instance) but in game 'matching' wise its a simple tag, the actual game itself doesn't allow you to discriminate who has that tag in instanced or DF content, you have to literally seek out people individually to figure it out.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Someone in the Dauntless thread mentioned that PS4 version had a opt in or warning before playing with players on different platforms. I asked for screens or something but they only said

I like cross play since FFXI, but even in FFXI I wish there was an option to not use it (PC players using cheats and community made add-ons made keeping up hard on a non augmented PS2 version). What did the warning say?
Something something hide your kids, hide your wife

Maybe the xbox version also has that warning, and the ability to not play online crossplay. This was in their stats infographic.
QZOu0Iz.jpg

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Both of those concerns sound entirely reasonable. Hopefully Microsoft will help resolve this. The more people that get to play XIV the better!

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i think the issue is that ms wants xbox players to be able to play with just xbox if they want which means that they would need there own chat that pc and the other systems are not on

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. I chat on games with my son from PC to xbox. Is something getting mixed up here?

The other version of the interview seemed be about Microsoft requireing the ability to opt out of cross playform play or seek platform specific people. The ability to cross-play and the requirement of cross-play is different. You literally do not get the option to segregate yourself beyond what datacenter and server you pick and SE isn't going to make an xbox preferred datacenter. Its literally the philosophy of the game, it doesn't matter what system you play on, the way the game plays and the people you play with is all the same. This has always what I assumed was the hold up.

Nov 1, 2017
Mmm. Not sure about the whole "you can't chat with players on other systems thing". Like others have mentioned its in existing crossplay games. Like, i play a lot of Smite which is crossplay and they recently made it so you can enter text in the chat log (albeit slowly with the XB1 virtual keyboard) which is nice because it used to be that PC players could talk all sorts of shit but console players were restricted to passive aggressively using the pre-determined voice lines.

And the other reason is you're not allowed is you can't "form a community" with players on other systems? What does that mean? Again, using Smite as an example, it has it's own separate friends list and party invite system to add players to buddy up with who are not on Xbox. Would have thought that fell under that umbrella.

I'm not saying the FF14 guy is making this up but something doesn't add up here.

Nov 1, 2017
Mmm. Not sure about the whole "you can't chat with players on other systems thing". Like others have mentioned its in existing crossplay games. Like, i play a lot of Smite which is crossplay and they recently made it so you can enter text in the chat log (albeit slowly with the XB1 virtual keyboard) which is nice because it used to be that PC players could talk all sorts of shit but console players were restricted to passive aggressively using the pre-determined voice lines.

And the other reason is you're not allowed is you can't "form a community" with players on other systems? What does that mean? Again, using Smite as an example, it has it's own separate friends list and party invite system to add players to buddy up with who are not on Xbox. Would have thought that fell under that umbrella.

I'm not saying the FF14 guy is making this up but something doesn't add up here.

Do present crossplay titles always have an option to turn off crossplay? And FFXIV doesn't want to present that option?

This if anything would be the main reason i would have thought. As far as i'm aware its a Microsoft certification requirement that any crossplay game has the ability to disable that and play only with Xbox players. Frankly this is a dumb rule anyway and there should be an exception made for MMO's cause it's the whole bloody point. This is something Phil does need to sort out.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Xbox One has a system wide setting to disable cross play. MS is probably still refusing Square the privilege of ignoring that setting and they dont want to make an Xbox only server to appease them.

Family-1.png

As for those saying what about PSO2, PSO2 has console specific blocks/lobbies for people who want to avoid cross play. So SEGA has no issues complying with MS requirement of being able to disable cross play.

PCPSVitaBlock_thumb.jpg

yqdXB2D.png

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I used to always think it was Microsoft that was the block but after both MS and Nintendo really opened up I assumed it was Sony that was the block on this particular game. This interview is confusing...
It's not confusing. You just assumed wrong. In this case it was always on MS.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this already known since last gen?
We've known it was an Xbox policy for ages (Yoshi has said basically the same thing years ago, but I think it was about them specifically wanting you to be able to opt out of crossplay back then), though everyone ignores it for some reason.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Platform wars
Looks like a mistranslation. He probably blamed Sony.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory drive by, platform wars, history of similar infractions
MS is the Trump of the gaming world.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One has a system wide setting to disable cross play. MS is probably still refusing Square the privilege of ignoring that setting and they dont want to make an Xbox only server to appease them.

Family-1.png

As for those saying what about PSO2, PSO2 has console specific blocks/lobbies for people who want to avoid cross play. So SEGA has no issues complying with MS requirement of being able to disable cross play.

PCPSVitaBlock_thumb.jpg

yqdXB2D.png

Yeah this has got to be the issue, and its unfortunately a game breaking one. I legitimately understand why Xbox might want to require a game to have this option due to wanting to make sure players who happen to play in the Live eco system a chance to play each other (voice chat functionality being a big reason) but in FFXIV's case they don't support any feature that isn't enabled directly through the game itself with the intent that it made what platform you play on not matter.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people surprised?

This article is the yearly reminder that microsoft is whats holding it back. Almost every year (usually around e3) some one interviews Yoshi-P and asks the same question and he always gives the same answer.

Final Fantasy XIV's Director Talks Housing Shortage, PS4 Cross-Play, And Much More
inal Fantasy 14 Director Wants Switch And Xbox One Version, But Has One Condition
Square Enix in talks to bring Final Fantasy 14 to Xbox One
Square Enix Still Negotiating With Microsoft for an Xbox One Port of Final Fantasy XIV
WHY FINAL FANTASY XIV ISN'T COMING TO XBOX 360 OR XBOX ONE

There is a article from 2015 but instead of asking Yoshi-p they asked Phil instead. He either thought of some bullshit or lied saying it was "due to business and platform exclusivity " . Which kinda contradicts multiple interviews with Yoshi-p.

XBOX HEAD DISCUSSES WHY FINAL FANTASY 14 IS NOT ON XBOX ONE

Edit: It boils down to the policy of Xbox live being required(i think square would let this slide) and a requirement of having an option of playing Xbox player only which does not work well with MMOs.

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people surprised?
I think it's weird because the interview frames it differently than in the past, and the fact that Microsoft has been better about cross-play recently. But, yeah, the real issue (that cross-play on Xbox is supposed to be something that can be turned off) still remains so... nothing has changed.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
It's great to have clarification, but I wonder why Yoshida never talks about Sony in this. What about their regulations? Are we certain that they'll 100% port FFXIV to XB1 if Microsoft agrees with their demands? Are we sure that Sony's own regulations won't get in the way? The reason I'm asking this is because Yoshida constantly frames this issue as being a Microsoft and Nintendo one. He never talks about Sony's role and whether they agree with cross-play or not. It's hard to fully grasp the situation when Yoshida refuses to address the elephant in the room.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeh, they've said in the past they are talking to both MS and Nintendo. Would be interesting to hear what - if any - issues there are with Nintendo.

Nintendo would need to waive their online sub payment for starters to play the game.

Other than that. I dunno Nintendo's own rules or if the Switch has bad connectivity on all games. Only play smash online with it

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Also people keep blaming Phil but said policy getting in the way could easily be coming from Above him in Microsoft.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's weird because the interview frames it differently than in the past, and the fact that Microsoft has been better about cross-play recently. But, yeah, the real issue (that cross-play on Xbox is supposed to be something that can be turned off) still remains so... nothing has changed.
But its not that recent though. That happened in 2016 and we've have had an interview each year since then saying it was microsoft. even the 2016 article notes about the changes microsoft made and how it was their regulations that were holding it back.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Family-1.png

PCPSVitaBlock_thumb.jpg

yqdXB2D.png

This if anything would be the main reason i would have thought. As far as i'm aware its a Microsoft certification requirement that any crossplay game has the ability to disable that and play only with Xbox players. Frankly this is a dumb rule anyway and there should be an exception made for MMO's cause it's the whole bloody point. This is something Phil does need to sort out.
Fortnite BR doesn't let you turn off crossplay and even one of MS first party games (sea of thieves) didn't let you turn off crossplay for over a year (and I think it still doesn't because the option was delayed.)