• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize there was a server a bunch of people from here played on. Is Ultros laggy for east coast NA players? I'm on Zalera in the Aether data center, which I assumed meant Atlantic Ocean, but I see Ultros is in the Primal data center, which I again assumed meant Pacific Ocean.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
PSA: The Resetera FFXIV community is mostly located on Ultros server.

Post here to get an invite to the Free Company (that's what they call guilds in the game)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/final-fantasy-xiv-stormblood-ot-a-realm-reset.334/

That's a good thing. Buy the steam version and you're locked to buying all expansions on steam in future.

The GB FC's on Ultros, too, if you wanna join us! Still see a lot of ERA folks running around Kugane, which is awesome (I still need to come by your FC house sometime). Either way, the game's fantastic, and the more folks that play, the better.

compo East coast here, it's completely fine for me (have completed all current non-savage raid content with no issues).

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't realize there was a server a bunch of people from here played on. Is Ultros laggy for east coast NA players? I'm on Zalera in the Aether data center, which I assumed meant Atlantic Ocean, but I see Ultros is in the Primal data center, which I again assumed meant Pacific Ocean.

Both North American data centers (Primal and Aether) are in California. If you're already on Aether, there shouldn't be any difference, as far as lag goes.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
They're doing a soft server merge/reshuffle sometime near May. Everyone will get a free server transfer around that time cause of the reshuffle.
o thanks for the heads up, I may wait until then then. Unless all the lvl 50+ content is easily soloable. One of the reasons I quit was because my IRL friends all were done with the base game and the guild i was in ended up moving to another server to merge with another. Cost of transfer and no one to play with were the main things from me coming back even after hearing about the great content in the expansions. Hell I have an unopened copy of stormblood at home on pc that i got for $12. I guess I still need to get Heavensward as well and the new one right?

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
o thanks for the heads up, I may wait until then then. Unless all the lvl 50+ content is easily soloable. One of the reasons I quit was because my IRL friends all were done with the base game and the guild i was in ended up moving to another server to merge with another. Cost of transfer and no one to play with were the main things from me coming back even after hearing about the great content in the expansions. Hell I have an unopened copy of stormblood at home on pc that i got for $12. I guess I still need to get Heavensward as well and the new one right?

Depending on your job, you can use the Duty Finder to easily play any instances (Tank and Healers get in almost instantly, you have to wait a bit if you're a DPS).

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Hell I have an unopened copy of stormblood at home on pc that i got for $12. I guess I still need to get Heavensward as well and the new one right?

Stormblood comes with Heavensward, but you'll still have to buy Shadowbringers. When Shadowbringers is released, buying it will also give you Heavensward and Stormblood.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both North American data centers (Primal and Aether) are in California. If you're already on Aether, there shouldn't be any difference, as far as lag goes.

Oh wow, so I've been playing with west coast servers all this time. I guess lag won't be an issue if I switch to Ultros, then.

That's kind of an unfortunate naming scheme with their data centers, with the A and P not corresponding to the two different coasts.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
It's all easily soloable, but the dungeon queue times will suck if you're a dps. If you're a tank or healer you should have minimal issues clearing most stuff.

Stormblood includes Heavensward.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on your job, you can use the Duty Finder to easily play any instances (Tank and Healers get in almost instantly, you have to wait a bit if you're a DPS).

Thanks, I mained summoner tho I had dabbled in some SCH healing as well.

Stormblood comes with Heavensward, but you'll still have to buy Shadowbringers. When Shadowbringers is released, buying it will also give you Heavensward and Stormblood.

Good to know. I guess if I add stormblood to my account, I could start getting ready for shadowbringers then preorder that to get the xp earring...

It's all easily soloable, but the dungeon queue times will suck if you're a dps. If you're a tank or healer you should have minimal issues clearing most stuff.

Stormblood includes Heavensward.

Do you know how SMN and SCH are current in the meta?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP should probably clarify: You do not need to buy each expansion individually, the latest expansion gives you all previous expansions.

This means that if you buy Stormblood now, you will get Heavensward. If you wait and buy Shadowbringers when it comes out, you will get Stormblood and Heavensward with it.

If nothing else, Final Fantasy XIV is a fantastic Final Fantasy game and this is a great way to get started with it. It has everything you need to play the original main storyline.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Hopefully the updated OP looks a bit better!
OP should probably clarify: You do not need to buy each expansion individually, the latest expansion gives you all previous expansions.

This means that if you buy Stormblood now, you will get Heavensward. If you wait and buy Shadowbringers when it comes out, you will get Stormblood and Heavensward with it.

If nothing else, Final Fantasy XIV is a fantastic Final Fantasy game and this is a great way to get started with it. It has everything you need to play the original main storyline.
Man I must be reading all this info from the wrong places haha. Okay! I will edit the OP to better reflect that! Thanks Sophia! That actually is really awesome to hear! Might as well get Shadowbringers then!

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
if anyone needs a code, let me know..........I'll login to my twitch later and pm it to you. I already own FFXIV....for both PC and console in full lol (including all expansions) so i do not need the code.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Thanks, I mained summoner tho I had dabbled in some SCH healing as well.

Good to know. I guess if I add stormblood to my account, I could start getting ready for shadowbringers then preorder that to get the xp earring...

I don't know specifics, but I'm seeing a lot of SMN in the DF. A quick search tells me it's doing well. SCH is always good to have along imo, especially if there's no AST.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
That's kind of an unfortunate naming scheme with their data centers, with the A and P not corresponding to the two different coasts.

The data center names are just named after concepts from Final Fantasy. The names don't have anything to do with the actual location of the data centers. North America is getting a third data center before Shadowbringers launch. It's going to be called Crystal.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know specifics, but I'm seeing a lot of SMN in the DF. A quick search tells me it's doing well. SCH is always good to have along imo, especially if there's no AST.

I wouldn't worry too much about job viability in the meta/endgame right now. They try to make sure everything is viable and that no job is left behind. Plus, everything's about to get shaken up meta wise in about four months from now, so any info you get is going to be outdated to some degree by then. Just play what interests you.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I wouldn't worry too much about job viability in the meta/endgame too much. They try to make sure everything is viable and that no job. Plus, everything's about to get shaken up meta wise in about four months from now, so any info you get is going to be outdated to some degree by then. Just play what interests you.

Hell yeah, NIN till the day I die. Y'all better get your bursts ready for my Suiton + TA combo; that vuln up only lasts for 10 seconds!

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
There! Finished the OP for now. Doing all that sucks on mobile lol. Hopefully it looks a lot better now! Anyone please let me know if I should add something more to the OP!

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Too bad the first 50 levels are pretty boring. I lost access to my account where I had arrived at heavenward, and tried to start over, but it's such a drag, and takes such a long time to level. They really should remake the starting experience like wow and ESO. The game takes way too long to get interesting.
Shit I got to 60 and it was still boring af

MMO gameplay just doesn't cut it for me. Great soundtrack tho.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The data center names are just named after concepts from Final Fantasy. The names don't have anything to do with the actual location of the data centers. North America is getting a third data center before Shadowbringers launch. It's going to be called Crystal.

Hmm, so they're adding a C for central now... 🤔

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that it's not possible.

Let me clarify on this, real fast. This confusion comes up a lot.

For every copy of A Realm Reborn (aka "Starter Edition", or the base game) you add to the account, you will get 30 free days of playtime. The expansion packs do not give free playtime.

Every FFXIV account may currently have a single license attached for each of the currently supported versions. This means you can add one copy of A Realm Reborn for Windows, one for PS4, and one for Mac. If you add all three to your account, you will get 90 days of free play time. But you cannot add a license more than once per platform. You must also buy each expansions on the respective platform you wish to play them on.

For example, this is my account page:

vivaldi_2019-02-04_138zjfi.png

In my case, I can log into the game on PS4, but I cannot go into Heavensward or Stormblood areas.

However, there is a distinction that people should be aware of: What Square Enix calls "Windows" can actually refer to the standalone version, or it can also refer to the version on Steam. You may only have ONE Windows version on your account. You may not (currently) mix and match the Steam and Non-Steam versions.

Related to this, if you buy the game on Steam, you are locked into Steam. Which means you must buy all future expansions on Steam. And expansions purchased on Steam will not work on the Non-Steam version. On the flipside, you can pay for your subscription through Steam if you buy it there. For some people, the regional pricing is better too.

TLDR: You need a license for each platform you want to play on and each expansion per platform. "Windows" can be either Steam or Non-Steam, but not both. You get 30 days free for each license of the base game added.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a code for a US copy of the starter edition. PM me if you're interested.

Edit: Taken

Last edited:

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Has anyone tried to activate the code on PS4? Looking to get into the game and would be dope if I could use the twitch code to play on my console

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried to activate the code on PS4? Looking to get into the game and would be dope if I could use the twitch code to play on my console
If you don't have the game on PS4 yet than maybe playing the trial version (Called Free Demo on PS Store) on PS4 than use the twitch prime code to register the PC version on your account through Mog Station.

Alternatively if you had/have the PS4 version already than simply use the twitch prime code to register the PC version on your account through Mog Station to add the free 30 days to your account.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
If anyone got a free Starter Edition and wants to try to get caught up for Shadowbringers, Stormblood is on sale until next week for 50% off. That's $20 for Stormblood and it includes Heavensward. The Steam and PS4 versions are on sale for $20, too, but anyone who has the Starter Edition will need to buy the PC version from the Square Enix Store.