• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Still showing $19.99 in the store for me :( I'm in the US

I'll check back later and maybe it will go live in the US by then.

Sonimon

Oct 31, 2017
I was planning on getting into FFXIV when the story revision came in, so I redeemed this now to tie it to my account. Can I use my account on both PC and PS4, and if I can, do I need to rebuy the game and the expansions on PC to do so?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Huh no shit. I was looking at buying this a couple of days ago to give FFXIV a go. Great news 🙌

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
The way SE handles this shit is dumb. I owned the game previously but have no idea where it went, think I lost it in a move, but because of that I don't think I can get the starter edition for free?

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Does this ps4/ pc trick work if I have an active sub already?

Yes.

Still showing $19.99 in the store for me :( I'm in the US

I'll check back later and maybe it will go live in the US by then.

FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online - Starter Edition

For newcomers to FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, this edition includes two award-winning titles - FINAL FANTASY® XIV A Realm Reborn™ and the first expansion, FINAL FANTASY® XIV Heavensward™. Includes 30-day free play period. Join millions of adventurers worldwide and take part in an epic and...

Showing as free now. Store must have updated.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's up, but isn't working for me, getting an error that I already own ARR. May be an issue with playing the Free Trial already on the same PS4, but I don't think it was on my primary account. I've tried making a brand new account and still have the same error.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Uh, that sounds interesting, since I'd love to Platinum this game. I think I'm gonna hold on for that before jumping in back again.
The XIV platinum requires almost 1000 hours of gameplay and 5.5 real months of time minimum (and therefore also 5 months of sub time you have to pay for).
Personally, it seems weird to wait 2+ months for a patch that'll save you maybe a dozen hours of main story max when you could instead start now and get 2+ months through that 5.5 real month minimum. I'd just start now if I were you
The way SE handles this shit is dumb. I owned the game previously but have no idea where it went, think I lost it in a move, but because of that I don't think I can get the starter edition for free?
If you've already bought it, you can't buy it again. It's already tied to your PSN/XIV account.
If you've lost the disc, you can just download the trial off the store, it's the same client
I don't know what's up, but isn't working for me, getting an error that I already own ARR. May be an issue with playing the Free Trial already on the same PS4, but I don't think it was on my primary account. I've tried making a brand new account and still have the same error.
You're 100% sure that you don't have ARR PS4 on your XIV account? Go into MogStation and look at that chart on the main screen that tells you what platforms you own it on

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
If I'm running the free unlimited playtime trial to level 35 on pc, will this remove that level cap and out a 30 timer on my char now?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
If I'm running the free unlimited playtime trial to level 35 on pc, will this remove that level cap and out a 30 timer on my char now?
You just straight up won't be able to play the free trial anymore on PC. You can't play the free trial on an account where you own the game. You'd have to buy a PC copy to continue playing on PC.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You're 100% sure that you don't have ARR PS4 on your XIV account? Go into MogStation and look at that chart on the main screen that tells you what platforms you own it on

ARR PS4 is not on my PC account, though I did have a dummy account on PS4 for the free trial a week or two ago to see how it played on console.

The error is on the PS store and I just made a brand new dummy account. It is either because of the primary account "ownership" of the free trial or perhaps my SE account email matches my PS email (that doesn't seem to make sense as I doubt Sony would pass that on). I don't know what I need to do at this point, but I may start deleting the users from the PS4 to see if that helps.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
ARR PS4 is not on my PC account, though I did have a dummy account on PS4 for the free trial a week or two ago to see how it played on console.

The error is on the PS store and I just made a brand new dummy account. It is either because of the primary account "ownership" of the free trial or perhaps my SE account email matches my PS email (that doesn't seem to make sense as I doubt Sony would pass that on). I don't know what I need to do at this point, but I may start deleting the users from the PS4 to see if that helps.
Just to be clear: The thing you did previously was main PSN account + dummy XIV account?
And now you're trying to do NOT main PSN account + real XIV account?

Hmm. I made a fresh PSN account today for this purpose (main PSN account is linked to old XIV account used to play PS4 beta, PS4 beta locked me out of PC free trial, so I made a new XIV account which is my main account) and I bought it just fine via the web store. If you're on console, try the web store?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I've always been interested in an MMO but never had the time, especially now unfortunately. I might still give it a whirl despite getting addicted to an MMO would be like the worst thing for me right now lol.

Three thirty day trial doesn't have to start immediately, right? I can download it and try it in say a couple of months if needed?

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. My PSN account is linked to an account that isn't my main XIV account (I had to make a new one b/c playing the PS4 beta blocked me from playing the free trial), but I'll probably just make another PSN account to get those free 30 days

Other things to note:
  • The Era Free Company (read: guild) is on Ultros (NA)
  • You should use someone's referral code. You'll get some free stuff when you pay for your first month
  • Buying the latest expansion gives you all previous expansions. If you get in on this, do not buy the Complete Edition down the line, it'll make you make a new service account. Just buy the latest expansion.

• Yes, but you wouldn't ever have any need for the Complete Edition, just buy the latest expansion pack (it includes all previous expansions)
  • Launch it, IIRC

PM me your referral code man!

I'm paying my first month in a few days and you're always so helpful on the OT!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been interested in an MMO but never had the time, especially now unfortunately. I might still give it a whirl despite getting addicted to an MMO would be like the worst thing for me right now lol.

Three thirty day trial doesn't have to start immediately, right? I can download it and try it in say a couple of months if needed?

If you download this, yes it starts immediately. The free trial is up to 35 and that has no time limit but it goes away the second you buy the game

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017

As long as you don't tie it to a Square-Enix account the time won't start ticking down until you do. I don't think it'll force you into linking the game to a SE account upon clicking the purchase button.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
Just to be clear: The thing you did previously was main PSN account + dummy XIV account?

Hmm. I made a fresh PSN account today for this purpose (main PSN account is linked to old XIV account used to play PS4 beta, PS4 beta locked me out of PC free trial, so I made a new XIV account which is my main account) and I bought it just fine via the web store. If you're on console, try the web store?
Confirming that just creating a new PSN and linking your main SE pc account will give you the +30 days? (If the SE account hasn't been tied to a psn account in the past at all), simple as that?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
PM me your referral code man!

I'm paying my first month in a few days and you're always so helpful on the OT!
Done. Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it.
Confirming that just creating a new PSN and linking your main SE pc account will give you the +30 days? (If the SE account hasn't been tied to a psn account in the past at all), simple as that?
Yes, if you already have the actual game registered on your PC account. You mentioned being on the free trial above, and like I said, you're either on the free trial or have the full game, and you need to buy the game + expansions separately per platform. No mixing and matching between trial and full game.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Right. Main account PS4 + dummy SE to see how it played on console (since I couldn't free trial both PC/PS4 perhaps?). I was trying everything, so I deleted and am now redownloading to PS4 and will see if I can get it to work after first going to web store to purchase as you suggested. I'll let you know in about an hour. Thanks for the help!

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
Done. Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Yes, if you already have the actual game registered on your PC account. You mentioned being on the free trial above, and like I said, you're either on the free trial or have the full game, and you need to buy the game + expansions separately per platform. No mixing and matching between trial and full game.
Yep, previous question was for a friend, thanks.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
So... forgive me if this is a stupid question. I bought FFXIV on PSN way back in 2014, but didn't end up playing much of it at the time. In order to download it again, I had to dig through my download list, because this "Starter Edition" is the only version that seems to be listed on PSN right now. Is there any point to me claiming this?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Right. Main account PS4 + dummy SE to see how it played on console (since I couldn't free trial both PC/PS4 perhaps?). I was trying everything, so I deleted and am now redownloading to PS4 and will see if I can get it to work after first going to web store to purchase as you suggested. I'll let you know in about an hour. Thanks for the help!
The statement I underlined is correct, you can only be on the free trial on one platform, playing on multiple platforms is only possible when you buy the game on multiple platforms.

Yeah, I was actually getting errors earlier as well, and some people on Twitter were reporting the same thing (all in regards to actually purchasing it off PSN). Logging out and back in on webstore fixed it for me, but something's fucky with it

So... forgive me if this is a stupid question. I bought FFXIV on PSN way back in 2014, but didn't end up playing much of it at the time. In order to download it again, I had to dig through my download list, because this "Starter Edition" is the only version that seems to be listed on PSN right now. Is there any point to me claiming this?
If you've actually paid money for the PS4 version of FFXIV (not just a free trial), this wouldn't do anything. This is just the base game of XIV which you already own.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm thinking about giving this a shot, but if I'm completely new what makes more sense to start with, the free trial demo or this starter pack that's temp free?

Also, how 'solo-able' is this game? I don't usually play MMOs and I'm primarily a single player kinda person but hearing about the story stuff in this is intriguing.

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Hi there. All this talking about FFXIV got me on the verge of jumping back in, but as I feared, I'm fucked big time with passwords and such, since of course I can't seem to find any emergency password.

Just to be sure: when I registered the software token, the old keyring one (will it be still functioning after 6 years?) became useless? Any way to fall back to that?
Got SE ID and pass, the original registration password (not working, of course), the software token ID provided at registration, but nothing else.

How screwed am I?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Also, how 'solo-able' is this game? I don't usually play MMOs and I'm primarily a single player kinda person but hearing about the story stuff in this is intriguing.
Dungeons are done with 3 other players , while Trials (boss fights) are done with 7 other players. All open-world content and general questing can be done solo.

So almost everything with the story can be done by yourself and the game will matchmake you with other players when necessary. Joining a guild is completely unnecessary, but can certainly be helpful.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about giving this a shot, but if I'm completely new what makes more sense to start with, the free trial demo or this starter pack that's temp free?

The game will auto match you with people for dungeons. The rest is basically all solo if you want.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The statement I underlined is correct, you can only be on the free trial on one platform, playing on multiple platforms is only possible when you buy the game on multiple platforms.

Yeah, I was actually getting errors earlier as well, and some people on Twitter were reporting the same thing (all in regards to actually purchasing it off PSN). Logging out and back in on webstore fixed it for me, but something's fucky with it

If you've actually paid money for the PS4 version of FFXIV (not just a free trial), this wouldn't do anything. This is just the base game of XIV which you already own.
Web store purchase worked! Thank you for all your help!

Ligero

Oct 27, 2017
So I just grabbed this on PSN, always wanted to try FF14 out, and...there's nothing? No download in my library, no link in the webstore. If it wasn't for my email receipt it would be like it never existed. Any ideas?

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved playing this when it was rereleased but I lost my phone with authenticator and there were too many hoops to jump through to get it back. Hopefully I can still download this since the old account is tied to my psn.

Jul 24, 2018
A friend is having trouble getting it to work. The level cap is still stuck on level 35 when she boots this up? Is it because she hasn't registered this free copy? Does she need to add payment option?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It's not worth getting into this until next patch. Save yourself the trouble! When next patch comes ARR will be very manageable and less tedious especially with the MSQ being shorter and flying mounts.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Last question.

Can I download now and activate at any time if want?

For example if I want to save my free 30 days (have a PC account and trying to get it on PS4 for the free 30 days) for the next patch can I do that?

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Last question.

Can I download now and activate at any time if want?

For example if I want to save my free 30 days (have a PC account and trying to get it on PS4 for the free 30 days) for the next patch can I do that?

Yes.

So I just grabbed this on PSN, always wanted to try FF14 out, and...there's nothing? No download in my library, no link in the webstore. If it wasn't for my email receipt it would be like it never existed. Any ideas?

Hm... Try downloading the Free Trial. It's technically the full game so it might just have you register your account upon boot up.

It sounds like it is registered but the XP bar is still locked for her, I can't remember how I did it beyond having to do it on Mogstation.

Does Mogstation show the PS4 version registered? Usually little circles indicating which versions are tied to that acc.

Jul 24, 2018
Yes.

Hm... Try downloading the Free Trial. It's technically the full game so it might just have you register your account upon boot up.

Does Mogstation show the PS4 version registered? Usually little circles indicating which versions are tied to that acc.
She says it does have that yes, a circle under the PS4 section only for A Realm Reborn. Her character doesn't seem to be getting XP at all from killing mobs or anything.