• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
II, III, and IX are the only FF games that don't have mechs.
People seem to forget that.
Even then, those games have advanced airships like Ark, The Dreadnaught, and The Nautilus.
IX totally has mechs! Ark counts, and even ignoring that you have a spaceship, cloning, and a likely cyborg.

And even if it doesn't have mechs per se, III has ancient super civilizations that built a flying continent.

II may be the only one to downplay mechs and super technology, but that might depend on how you count Iron Giant, given that it debuts in that game as Warmech's replacement.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When has Final Fantasy ever been pure fantasy? The WarMech is the first game's secret boss, and an entire dungeon
takes place on a space station
. Even before that there are plenty of machines especially in the latter half of the game. If you took out all that stuff you'd take out a lot of what makes Final Fantasy really interesting and unique as a franchise.

And yet, those games had only small percentages of technology in them, and people have to nitpick and find small pockets of technology to try and prove that FF was always this way?

FF6 was like, steampunk at best, yet people use things like Magitech as a basis for why suddenly it's totally the same to live in an actual modern metropolis and drive around in a flying car with gas stations and shit?

like c'mon, it's disingenuous to pretend the series didn't have a dramatic shift in tone right at 7, that it has largely leaned further and further into in recent years, with only really 9, somewhat 10, and 12 hearkening back to the old style.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
And yet, those games had only small percentages of technology in them, and people have to nitpick and find small pockets of technology to try and prove that FF was always this way?

FF6 was like, steampunk at best, yet people use things like Magitech as a basis for why suddenly it's totally the same to live in an actual modern metropolis and drive around in a flying car with gas stations and shit?

like c'mon, it's disingenuous to pretend the series didn't have a dramatic shift in tone right at 7, that it has largely leaned further and further into in recent years, with only really 9, somewhat 10, and 12 hearkening back to the old style.

vs 8, 13, and 15. That's 3 to 3. Sounds like an equal mix to me.

Edit - in fact if you count online games which are both mainly fantasy based except for imperials in FF14 having technology like FF6 - that's 5 to 3 in favour of "fantasy" vs modern / future setting.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
IX totally has mechs! Ark counts, and even ignoring that you have a spaceship, cloning, and a likely cyborg.

And even if it doesn't have mechs per se, III has ancient super civilizations that built a flying continent.

II may be the only one to downplay mechs and super technology, but that might depend on how you count Iron Giant, given that it debuts in that game as Warmech's replacement.

II has a giant flying battleship lol. No robots though.
IX is mostly biotech. None of it is really cybernetics, so it's a bit different. It's not metal and electricity. Ark is really the only thing.
III is the least tech focused I think. Most of the tech is crystals and stuff. The Nautilus is the only thing I can think of that looks like it's made of metal. Iron Giant is more of a golem.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_no0kgidXJ11r13r6do4_250.gif
FF6 remake, or this

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
The combination of medieval inspired fantasy settings with science-fiction elements made the first titles interesting. I'd like them to try something like FF4 again.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite setting is FF8, that world was just really pleasing from design standpoint.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
II has a giant flying battleship lol. No robots though.
IX is mostly biotech. None of it is really cybernetics, so it's a bit different. It's not metal and electricity. Ark is really the only thing.
III is the least tech focused I think. Most of the tech is crystals and stuff. The Nautilus is the only thing I can think of that looks like it's made of metal. Iron Giant is more of a golem.
Well, I mention cybernetics in IX mostly due to Garland, who is either a cyborg or android of some kind, and seems much more plainly mechanical than anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I mention cybernetics in IX mostly due to Garland, who is either a cyborg or android of some kind, and seems much more plainly mechanical than anything.

Oh yeah. I forgot Garland is an android or something. We don't really know what he's made of though. Just that he's artificial. I'd guess he's probably a more primitive genome model that doesn't have an expiration date.

Though I was basically just saying that these three entries are the only ones that don't have things that are unambiguously robots.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's nice. I would be very interested in a Final Fantasy more focused in fantasy like it's name than in how it's been for decades.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like it. Or a new IP perhaps.

Yes. I think SE needs to groom new blood, especially with how mobile centric Japan is. They need to groom talent.

The sooner one accepts that we won't be getting the older games as they are the sooner we will be happier 😓
We'll probably never be getting a Kitase directed game, nor any games from Ito.

What do you mean by new blood? Scenario Writers? Directors? Producers? Programmers? People always talk about it but never say the positions they're thinking about or a age, which in some cases like a producer, that will be more difficult.

As far as directors, I think there's many working at or for Square Enix. Uchikawa (DQ 11), Tai Yasue (KH BBS, DDD, 3), Kazuya Niinou (DQB), Keisuke Miyauchi (Octopath Traveler) and more.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
That's what I'm hoping too. I need more fantasy in my Final Fantasy.
I would be very happy if the next game where less with machines and mechs.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Disclaimer: I know nothing about FF

How about we take it to the meta level. The world of FF16 has next to no tech because the local religion, led by Master Shaman Yoshida, says it's sacred and only to be used in service of the divine by shamans. Depending on your relationship values, you can get shamans in your party or maybe even become a shaman, or end up going against them in a sidequest fight, but it has next to no direct connections to the main quest, war against drug-smuggling Chocobos.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Really love that they are so committed to FFXIV and for me the machinery side of FF was always the stuff I liked the least.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All these people saying IX, you guys only played the first two discs or what?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I like what this director hopes for. Going back to "real" magitek like FF6 or so would be ok. For me, FFXIII and FFXV were basically full-blown Sci-Fi, and i somehow don't like this setting for FF games.

Yo SQEX, how about you give this dude a shot at a mainline FF game? And keep Nomura away from it ... let him do KH 4 or something.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean by new blood? Scenario Writers? Directors? Producers? Programmers? People always talk about it but never say the positions they're thinking about or a age, which in some cases like a producer, that will be more difficult.

As far as directors, I think there's many working at or for Square Enix. Uchikawa (DQ 11), Tai Yasue (KH BBS, DDD, 3), Kazuya Niinou (DQB), Keisuke Miyauchi (Octopath Traveler) and more.

I'm thinking mostly directors. Tai Yasue is a good example and I can see him taking on a full director role for a future KH, instead of Nomura.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of y'all are missing the last sentence where he says it's "a bad joke".

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Yoshida knows what's up. I'm all for this. FFXV went too far.
I don't mind having technology exist in these games but tone it down.
Airships, weaponry and some magitek stuff doesn't hurt but keep the focus on high fantasy stuff.
FFXI or FFXIV style settings as a base for XVI would be awesome.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Please just no more fantasy based on reality and no more gas stations with harmonica music

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It can means nothing but I believe he teases FFXVI. I hope so. It's time for Final Fantasy to go forward with new installments.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I hope to see it happen, I pretty much gave up on a main line final fantasy going back to more fantasy nor going back to a less "flashy/action" battle system.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I think the man simply means less futuristic kind of type game. Like yes all the final fantasy's have advanced technoligy within their worlds but it's overall very primitive in it's civilizations.

Last edited:

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, also make it without using school girls and boy bands as templates for characters and I might be back on board.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine it having a turn based battle system too.

The Final Fantasy we need but not the one we deserve.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a weird comment.

Is that really how they look at storytelling? It doesn't matter if it's steampunk or hifi... just write an interesting truly engaging story that doesn't rely on the illusion of grandeur.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
So Crystal Chronicles! Which I feel like I had a fever dream about it being remade or something

But that would be crazy

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
YES please. Might actually get me interested in new FF games again.
Also give it to Itoi.