• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
If you do decide to get the DLC please note:

There's a bundle up for FFXIII-2 that covers everything that isn't delisted except for two weapons and a costume for Serah (Azreal Bow, Seraphic Bow, and Style and Steel outfit). $18.99 combined for all.

There are bundles for Lightning Returns as well but it's a little less user friendly. To get everything for it you'll need to buy the FF Legends Pack, Samurai Collection, Premium Collection, Yuna FFX, and Tomb Raider. Combined total of $38.00. Plus an extra $3.99 if you want the Japanese voice optional pack.

Honestly of the two I prefer the DLC in FFXIII-2 as the colosseum fights are quite difficult and pretty damn fun.

Also if you're coming from the PC version Aerith's schemata is available as dlc in the 360 version of Lightning Returns. This was removed for some reason in the PC release though I know there was some attempts to mod it back in.

Nice research and yes the colosseum fights are fun.

Are the N7 costumes still available?

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Also for new players of the first game...

The money system in XIII is handled differently from all other Final Fantasy titles and not explained to well. As you fight in battles you will earn items called "incentive" and "credit" chips. You have to cash these in to actually make money which you can then use to upgrade your weapons. I would suggest following a guide for the weapon upgrades and waiting till your whole team is assembled before doing so. Don't sell anything but the chips as a lot of items can be broken down and used for weapon upgrades.

Also for Final Fantasy XIII-2 follow this guide when you start levelling up your characters if you want an optimal build.

I loved just about every aspect of XIII, except trying to grind money for ultimate weapons at the end. Eventually gave up trying to get them.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for some performance impressions, but I've been wanting to play through XIII again for a while, so this was a nice announcement on Saturday. The game isn't very good, but I think I've made my peace with it over the years. The music is excellent (and I always thought so) and in the very late game the battle system can even be pretty thrilling. The final boss is great. I guess I appreciate it as a sort of JRPG junk food now.

This video essay on the game is a fun watch, if anyone's interested. This guy also disliked the game when he first played it, but he revisited it and made an effort to find things to appreciate.

https://youtu.be/506QuP54xhQ

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that the Ezio outfit isn't available anymore, I always had that outfit equipped for Noel and then the white mage outfit for Serah.

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XIII should be a fun game to check before and after with the X patch. I don't remember what the resolution was on Xbox 360 back in the day, but it was very grainy, and looked horrible compared to PS3.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
FFXIII is beautiful if nothing else. To this day it's one of the most beautiful modern games I've played.
Agreed. Played my PS3 copy again sometime last year and I was still impressed with the visual fidelity.

Also, the soundtrack is beautiful and battle theme was classic.

I stopped after Chapter 3 when it came out. Tried to get back into it but the characters weren't doing it for me yet.

Just bought FF13 for 360 at GS for $5. Excited to start over and try to get into it again.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
So glad FF 13 is available digitally, picked that up and the 13-2 DLC bundle & Serah Style & Steel outfit.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I still remember Kagari's infamous quote about her playing the game.

It's definitely a game that I forced myself to get through. And then it got a bit better. By that point, however, I was already done with it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The first 2 games probably won't arrive today but Lightning Returns could. At least something to make a few nice super sampled 1080p screenshots with.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Can anybody link me to a good guide for the combat and upgrade tree? Which characters are best for each role role? Etc. Just looking for some tips before I start later on today!

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I think I might jump back in. I only Finished XIII. Liked it very much although I get the criticism the game got, it just wasn't a big issue for me. I played the second one for many hours but ended up using some items (I do not remember their name) just to realize that they were later needed to make progress in the story. It was possible to obtain another batch of them, but the areas I had to go through were very tiring, so I ended up abandoning the game.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Do I feel like building another Chichu and DLC Lightning?

Yes, other me. Yes I do.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hB88B7BE0

I have a soft spot for all three of these, but especially for Lightning Returns. I consider LR the single most underappreciated game in the core FF series, the gameplay is absolutely stunning and there are so many interesting design decisions that produce a heavily systems-driven, mechanically unique experience. When I get a chance tomorrow, I may write-up some tips for getting the most out of LR, because it can all seem very overwhelming at first. It also has the benefit of getting better and better as it goes on, culminating in my favorite boss fight in the entire series, hell I might even say that for me it's a top 5 boss fight in the entire genre.

While this wonderful BC announcement is an opportunity for people to (re)experience this entire trilogy and perhaps come to love it in its own way, what I'm really hoping is that LR comes out of this with a much-improved reputation. It simply was not given a proper chance upon release and I have been waiting years for it to start the process of being vindicated by history.

Last edited:

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Never played XIII (aside from the demo contained on the Japanese FFVII Advent Children BD), and... I think now is the good time to play it on my new Xbox One X!
I'm still on the fence tho, ahahaha!

jayvo

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea when this is supposed to be live? Not seeing the games in my library just yet. Excited to play these again though.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Anxiously awaiting news about the performance. If I can play FF13 in 4K without the stutter that plagues the PC version it will single-handedly justify my Xbox One X purchase.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Added a Useful Guides section to the OP with some stuff that ArkhamFantasy and DarkCloud12X recommended. It's barebones right now, so if anyone has any recommendations for it, please share. I'll add more guides when I have spare time today.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always found curious that I have rarely seen anyone saying "yeah the whole trilogy is amazing" the common sentiment seems to be that you like one game, kinda indifferent for one the others, and totally hate the last.

I was having a good time with XIII-2 but I have the bad memory that it burned out my PS3, so I could never finish it. Also, never touched lightning returns

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Nice OP, great work. Personally have no interest in playing these but I'm very curious to see how it runs on X and how it compares to the original 360 versions. Hope that Dark1x or someone else from DF can find some time in between all the major holiday games to take a look at them.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't played XIII in god, like 8 years? But I came away from that game's ending happier than XV. Very seriously considering getting this for my X.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OP, great work. Personally have no interest in playing these but I'm very curious to see how it runs on X and how it compares to the original 360 versions. Hope that Dark1x or someone else from DF can find some time in between all the major holiday games to take a look at them.

All I can remember was that the 360 versions; FFXIII was a blurry mess compared to PS3, LR had bad frame rate issues during desert battle stages and XIII-2 was a good all rounder.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
XIII should be a fun game to check before and after with the X patch. I don't remember what the resolution was on Xbox 360 back in the day, but it was very grainy, and looked horrible compared to PS3.
I hadn't thought about this, but now that you said it, I'll have to do just this. Even better, since my One X and 360 are so close in proximity, lol.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In perspective, I kinda liked the linear nature of FF13, in that game I never feel pressured to do fetch quests and searching through every single box in a house, it was just pure combat combined with great visuals

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Once the games go live today, please share your 4K screenshots from the One X! I need screenshots for the OP lol.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Playing FFXIII-2 on pc right now, 4k is out of question (even with 30 fps lock and measly 50-60% GPU load) on GTX970/i5-3570, so i stick with 1620p DSR right now (not without dips and stuttering). I know that pc port was pretty shitty, but still will be interesting how it turns out compared to xbox x patch.

http:///iIYc.jpg
http:///jIYc.jpg

Last edited:

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Agh, 60 hours of Blinded by Light in 4k are temtping me

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
PS - but pc version of FF13-2 still miles better than original versions, judging by DF video, can't complain, i guess lol
http:///kIYc.png

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
this is really cool for xbox owners, but also slightly bums me out because i feel like it'd lower the chance for PS4/XBO remasters, which i've been hoping for for awhile

but if enough people play this on backwards compatibility, i guess that indicates a current-gen demand for these games, so i guess it's still not hopeless

anyway, it's a really cool move for xbox owners