• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Never played them on console and they currently are on sale on PC. How is the port? Worthwhile getting? Or should I just go the BC route via the Xbox One X?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Digital Foundry talking about how the Xbox One X version is the best one, mainly because it's the only one with 4k cutscenes, which makes it look amazing.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Bad port of a bad game, at least for the original XIII. Xbone is currently the best way to play it.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go Xbone route
PC port for XIII and XIII-2 was a trashfire back in the day
Pages upon pages of people posting fixes

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I have a 2700X and a 2080 with 32GB of RAM. The PC port is awful. It drove me to go buy an Xbox One X once BC for the trilogy was confirmed. The biggest problem is that it runs on a single core, so performance is locked to that.

Edit: If you have great single core performance, you'll probably get the game running at 60FPS. I was able to hit it most of the time with some tweaks, but it stil wasn't great.

Last edited:
OP
OP

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
damn, I knew the PC version had issues but I thought they would be resolved

xbone it is

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
A shocking example of the PC version being inferior after launch

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
XIII-2 is probably one of the single worst PC ports I've encountered in the last 5 years. It's beyond bad.
My 980ti/FX-8350 struggled hard with it. Then my 980ti/6700k struggled with it and finally my 1080ti/6700k struggled with it.

It's beyond bad. Low fps everywhere on it and I was super pumped to play it too.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lightning Returns has an excellent PC port and it's the definitive way to play the game, by far.

The other two... just pretend they're console exclusives lol. If you must play XIII on PC then it's actually fairly stable if you keep it at 30fps. XIII-2 is a trainwreck that should be avoided.

At the moment the best options are XIII Xbox One X -> XIII-2 Xbox One X -> LR PC.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The PC ports are garbage. Play the Xbox versions on Xbox One or Xbox One X instead.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Lightning Returns is the superior port in comparison to consoles.

I didn't mind the FFXIII PC port, but I understand the issues with regards to a low shadow resolution. Most of the issues are fixed with GeDoSato though. Use PCGamingWiki to find solutions to the issues: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII

Didn't bother with FFXIII-2

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing how XIII-2 looks on Xbox One X, I won't ever install them on PC.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Strange I have a 1060 6gb card and I-8770k processor with 16gb ram and it's locked at 60fps at 1080p

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
While we're on the topic of this . Can I just start out with Lightning returns ? I heard the other two were not so good games

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Digital Foundry talking about how the Xbox One X version is the best one, mainly because it's the only one with 4k cutscenes, which makes it look amazing.

I thought that all versions of the game still had inferior video quality compared to the PS3 original due to video conversion/compression? Or has that been fixed?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely horrendous port. No fix worked for me, gtx 970 i7 8700 here. One of the very few games i've refunded on steam.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
From all I've read, it's better to play XIII and XIII-2 on an Xbox One X. Or really, anywhere that's not PC. Lightning Returns is ok, though.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
They're really bad ports on PC. I don't know if anybody has found a solution since but even when they released top hardware would not hold 60fps. If you even drop a single frame below 60 the game instantly locks to 30 fps and it just goes back and forth. I don't think Lightning Returns had this issue but 13 and 13-2 definitely do.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
While we're on the topic of this . Can I just start out with Lightning returns ? I heard the other two were not so good games

all 3 games are narrative drivel, imo. FFXIII isn't that bad of a game though, I quite like the art style they went with.

But you're not going to miss anything by starting out with Lightning Returns.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The PC ports are serviceable especially considering they are on sale and include all DLC. However, they can be a bit finnicky. Xbox version are definitely the best way to go if lack of DLC isn't an issue and you can grab them on the cheap physically (Or on sale digitally).

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Got it on PC and just started replaying the first game this week. About 10~15 hours in and no issues.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Strange I have a 1060 6gb card and I-8770k processor with 16gb ram and it's locked at 60fps at 1080p
Wow, you have hardware that is a good 20x more powerful than the consoles they initially ran on. 13 and 13-2 ran like a complete dumpster fire on the PC hardware at the time they released.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All SE PC ports are finicky, but as someone who's played all three, they are just fine. If you decide to play above 1080 you may need a mod to fix the higher HD resolutions. These is something wonky, or there was the last time I played and just stuck to 1080.

PER_Soul

Apr 2, 2019
Lima, Peru
The story of the first one is divisive (although I think is mainly because of the cast) I personally like it , just make sure to look up the definition of l´cie and fal'cie, the story of XIII-2 and LR are pretty bad though. The combat system is really fun on all of them but XIII-2 definitely has the better structure, XIII is on rails for most of the game and LR has this weird time limit thing.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
They're playable, with some fairly large technical caveats. Still well worth it IMO.

XIII has the best combat and best music in the entire franchise, and has actual good character designs from Nomura.

I don't think Lightning Returns is worth anything without having played XIII (XIII-2 is a harder sell, but it's still a fun game).

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
All three are good games. The first is a bit too linear, but it has a good story and cast. The second one is more fun, and the story goes a bit bonkers due to time travel. It also has one of the best villains in the FF series, and one of my favorite endings in any RPG. As for the third game, I haven't played as much of it as I'd like to, but I have enjoyed my time with it in the past.

I recommend starting from the first game for story reasons. If you really can't get into how linear it is, just move on to XIII-2.

Also, for anyone interested, we have an OT for the trilogy (pardon the self-promotion): https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...y-xbox-one-bc-ot-she-was-not-forgotten.80632/

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I played XIII on PC a couple weeks ago, didn't run into any problems and was almost always locked at 60. FFXIII-2 however runs much worse (but I ended up not enjoying it and never finished it). LR is great on PC. I'd recommend at least playing the first before LR, but if you don't care much about the story (which isn't all that great anyway) then you can just start with LR.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The PC ports of XIII and XIII-2 are both bad. They are a very (very, VERY) direct port from PS3. Everything is forced onto one CPU core, so the game can only run as well as any single one of your processor cores can on its own, which of course causes major problems with framerate and stability. There are also a host of other problems, but that's one of the biggest ones.

Xbox One backwards compatibility is the definitive way to play both XIII and XIII-2 so far. High resolution, stable FPS, and even high-quality FMVs courtesy of the back compat team going the extra mile.

Lightning Returns, however, is another story. They actually took their time with the PC version, and it shows. Buttery smooth 60 FPS the whole way through. (Only disadvantage is that it doesn't have mouse support; I highly recommend a controller for it).

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I've only gotten XIII-2 on steam. FPS constantly fluctuates and extremely unstable, even at 30fps. It ran worse than the ps3 version i ended up getting that instead. I regret buying it and steam refunds didn't exist then. No matter what i did, resolution, settings, etc the frame rate was always terrible. I'm on on an AMD card so i don't know if that made a difference

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that all versions of the game still had inferior video quality compared to the PS3 original due to video conversion/compression? Or has that been fixed?
The Xbox One X BC version actually has new 4K videos, unseen in other versions and way more detailed. It's part of the enhancement they did.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Man is Xbox one x bc, that good? I may get the console instead of a pro.
It's pretty good...

5UQ3DXQ.jpg

49WsVZ9.jpg

HbkNWys.jpg

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

The Cutscenes are still 720p, just higher bit rate, the original cutscenes were mastered at 1080p but never included even on PS3 because they didn't want to pay for 2 discs.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
XIII-2 is probably one of the single worst PC ports I've encountered in the last 5 years. It's beyond bad.
My 980ti/FX-8350 struggled hard with it. Then my 980ti/6700k struggled with it and finally my 1080ti/6700k struggled with it.

It's beyond bad. Low fps everywhere on it and I was super pumped to play it too.

I have a 1050 that can run Arkham City in nearly 1080/60, i couldn't run XIII-2 at a stable 720/30, the frame rate is just as bad as it is on PS3.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018

Watching this is killing me. I played the game on Xbox 360. For most of the game I didn't have The resolution set to hd, and my mind was blown when I changed the settings. Now to know that the 360 was super subpar...seeing the footage in this video is insane to me. I never knew the game looked that good! I've been looking at getting it on pc, I think it might be a huge treat.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Low-effort inflammatory posts. History of similar behaviour.
Waiting for the 240p Switch port