• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
How DARE u correctly point out that I was playing wrong
Lol sorry. Tbf, I started the game on Normal and really struggled with the battle system at first. Initially, I was actually trying to follow the stagger requirements and the game seemed bizarrely difficult even against regular ass enemies... until the battle system finally clicked for me like 40 hours in. 😅

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Hell YES this game is underrated and unfairly forgotten, though I also love the original FF XIII so I can't agree with you all the way. XIII and XIII-2 are both really great for completely different reasons.

XIII-2 is one of the very, very few games I went out of my way to get the Platinum trophy in (and it's not an easy Platinum to get). It's that good. What a game, and god, what a soundtrack.

Shame about Lightning Returns, though. I bounced off that one hard.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
bumping this thread because I forgot what a gem this game is, jumped back in just now (I'm on the final area) and it's just a really special game for reasons I can't explain. I love the increased silliness and batshit story idk.

Oct 27, 2017
i don't love the game but i agree it seemed unfairly maligned due to its proximity to XIII
strangely enough this game is my only platinum. i was dutifully following a guide so i could get the right ending

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Whelp, I tried playing this on Steam and even after the fixes I couldn't even get past the tutorial without it glitching out. During the fight both your character and the enemy straight out disappear but the UI works.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
XIII-2 and LR rarely get the love they deserve. So many of FFXIII's quirks people disliked were addressed in XIII-2 and LR is such a unique experience.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
XIII-2 is the best entry in the trilogy. I just wish they could have designed the game like this to begin with and with XIII level budget (still higher than XIII-3 I suppose)..

Last edited:

ScoutJovi

Oct 27, 2020
I am actually excited to play through the 13 games when they hit Game Pass later this year. Only played 13 way back in 2009 and now I am actually into JRPG's, so I am interested to see how I feel about them so many years later.

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
I think the One X/Series X enhancements do a perfect job of enhancing it. Even going so far as to have better quality FMV.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun game, last area is a bit of a pain in the arse though.
I feel like I've done quite a bit of bonus stuff, so I was surprised to find enemies in there were killing me, yeah. Espeically because I don't remember having trouble with the game except maybe a couple bosses but even then it wasn't bad. I just got the DLC so maybe I should do that first? Idk

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Been meaning to play this on Xbox Series X. I think I remember the whole trilogy got released on Xbox and had some kind of enhancements or something to them? I was trying to play through 13 before 13-2 and about 15 hours in I just couldn't. That game is so freaking linear and restrictive in multiple ways that I was just bored to tears and it was a slog to even play. I think I'll just skip that shit and try to play 13-2 soon. It looks very pretty in screenshots :)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Been meaning to play this on Xbox Series X. I think I remember the whole trilogy got released on Xbox and had some kind of enhancements or something to them? I was trying to play through 13 before 13-2 and about 15 hours in I just couldn't. That game is so freaking linear and restrictive in multiple ways that I was just bored to tears and it was a slog to even play. I think I'll just skip that shit and try to play 13-2 soon. It looks very pretty in screenshots :)
The whole trilogy is gorgeous. I dare say it's the best looking world/art style in the series, with maybe X as it's competition. They're just beautiful.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
The whole trilogy is gorgeous. I dare say it's the best looking world/art style in the series, with maybe X as it's competition. They're just beautiful.

Yeah I will say that as much as I didn't like 13, the CG scenes and really just the graphics in general were VERY nice. I can tell they dropped some cash on making that game look great.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
if only the PC port didn't crash on my last two systems after like 20 minutes of gameplay. I OGed the PS version, but would love to replay and finish the trilogy with the third, but seemingly can't.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I will say that as much as I didn't like 13, the CG scenes and really just the graphics in general were VERY nice. I can tell they dropped some cash on making that game look great.
Yes the graphics were for sure great for their yime but I think it's the art style that really shines too. Like the games look better than XV and many areas in VIIR to me purely because of that despite being on less powerful hardware

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
XIII-2 is a lovely game, absolutely bursting at the seams with heart. Has the best gameplay of the trilogy and the best soundtrack in a trilogy of games known for having some of the best soundtracks among a franchise known for having some of the best soundtracks in gaming. Mind-blowing that you could pay an extra 20 bucks for the collector's edition and get the entire 4-disc soundtrack with the game.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
The whole trilogy is underrated. The combat system in all every entry is really fun. The world looks good and the world building is also really well done. Biggest issue is that you need to read Codex entries to even understand anything that is happening in the base game.

13-2 just built ontop of everything that made 13 good and also delivered a villain you kinda felt bad for by the end of that game. I think the thing that holds it all together though, is the OST. I still think it's the best FF OST. Wish 13-2 ran well on PC or had a fix as good as the one for 13.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Mediocre games are typically forgotten. I played all the way to the last boss until I lost interest. I can't really remember much of anything from it besides liking Sera significantly more than Lightning and being shocked they went back to her for the even worse looking Lightning Returns.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
if only the PC port didn't crash on my last two systems after like 20 minutes of gameplay. I OGed the PS version, but would love to replay and finish the trilogy with the third, but seemingly can't.
OK SAME. Tried playing XIII-2 yesterday and it crashed 15 mins in. :( Granted I'm playing it in Win10 bootcamp on a macbook pro but i've completed the game once before the same way!

Gonna try finagling with some unoffical amd drivers and see what I get

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I didn't play much of XIII-2 but I enjoyed the first game more than most at the time. I have them all on Steam so I want to go through them sometime soon.

Whelp, I tried playing this on Steam and even after the fixes I couldn't even get past the tutorial without it glitching out. During the fight both your character and the enemy straight out disappear but the UI works.

By fixes you mean the fan patches? That's a real bummer because I want to play it on PC since I already have it there. SE was so bad with ports when these came out.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
OK SAME. Tried playing XIII-2 yesterday and it crashed 15 mins in. :( Granted I'm playing it in Win10 bootcamp on a macbook pro but i've completed the game once before the same way!

Gonna try finagling with some unoffical amd drivers and see what I get
Tried on an Amd cpu/1080TI combo years back (2017/8 I'm thinking). NOw I have a Threadripper 3960 and 2080 TI and same shit happened. I seriously thought when I built the pc last year that it'd finally work. Nope.

Ware

Jun 3, 2020
Honestly I enjoy it but the version of steam is so buggy that I can't progress much before something breaks

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Alright, listen. I freaking LOVE this game.

Give me Caius Ballad and that wonderful theme of his and that slap-in-the-face ending any day, please!

Can't believe there''s no way to play it on PS4/PS5. Man, Microsoft is just so far above anyone else regarding backward compatibility.

Ashgarth

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
XIII-2 was a great game but a horrible sequel to XIII.

Dont get me wrong, it improves on many aspects, but it really should have been a new game with a new cast. Many characters make a complete 180 for their previous motivations and personalities. Lightning goes from "I wont be anyone's pawn, we choose our own destiny" to "I shall fulfilll the will of the goddess" basically off-camera.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I didn't play much of XIII-2 but I enjoyed the first game more than most at the time. I have them all on Steam so I want to go through them sometime soon.

By fixes you mean the fan patches? That's a real bummer because I want to play it on PC since I already have it there. SE was so bad with ports when these came out.

Yeah I used the recommended fan patches. Still broke. On a 3700x and 1080.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
It's my overall favorite of the trilogy.

I love the combat, the amazing music, and the design of Goddess Lightning is so beautiful.

But screw those clock puzzles.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
does the game better when you really don't like the first 5 hours of the game ? I m into the minority that love ff13 but couldn't play 13 2, it made me think that i m losing my time ...

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Ending was fantastic and shocking.
Music is gorgeous.
The game is fun to play.
Best Ending Boss battle in all Final Fantasy games + Best Track.
It was my kingdom hearts game since Square skipped a whole generation (Noel looks like a Grown up Sora, you travel worlds, ..).

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my Rolling in CP skill so I can grind a bit before the final area because I heard the final boss was hard.

Also I bought the DLC because I was excited to have like lightning and nabaat in my party, I didn't realize they'd be fucking superbosses that I'm nowhere near the level I need to be at to take them on 😭😭😭

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely my favourite in the trilogy, and the only one I finished.
XIII was okay but never grabbed me that much, and LR was just a confusing mess to me.

I love Serah and Noel as protagonists, Caius is a very interesting villain, and I really dig the timeline stuff.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Tried on an Amd cpu/1080TI combo years back (2017/8 I'm thinking). NOw I have a Threadripper 3960 and 2080 TI and same shit happened. I seriously thought when I built the pc last year that it'd finally work. Nope.

I made some headway last night! So before I couldn't even get through the intro tutorial battles but now I've made it 40 mins into the game.

I applied a "4GB patch" to the exe and installed "ffxiiiFix" and now I'm getting almost smooth ~30fps game play, ~60fps in battles, no crashes yet.

I also noticed the game would crash a lot while the controller (an one Xbox one controller over usb) was vibrating, so I disabled vibration in the ffxiiifix settings. I think that may have been the cause of most of my crashes for some reason. Give it a try!

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I wish the story was better, but overall it's a very good game and, in my opinion, the best game in the series since IX (though I haven't played XII yet). Just in terms of gameplay it's probably my favorite game in the entire series and I had a lot of fun going through the entire game and trying to complete it as thoroughly as possible. If the writing was better I think it'd be my favorite Final Fantasy game.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Toriyama did good with the XIII trilogy. No it isn't perfect, but I think the dude got memed to death on that one presentation where he compared Lightning to a rose

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
FFXIII-2's combat starts being fun since the beginning where in FFXIII a lot of hours have to pass for the combat to get better.
It is the best out of the trilogy

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I'd give it a shot on something like a Trilogy port on switch or something

I really can't stand FFXIII
does the map actually work in this game?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'd give it a shot on something like a Trilogy port on switch or something

I really can't stand FFXIII
does the map actually work in this game?
I don't remember XIII-1's map, but XIII-2's is readable. I wish it was one button press instead of having to go to the main menu and scroll down though

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't remember XIII-1's map, but XIII-2's is readable. I wish it was one button press instead of having to go to the main menu and scroll down though
XIII's map had no cardinal directions, no words on it (no landmarks or anything), and rotated depending on where you were facing... it was essentially useless.

Which wasn't a problem for 80% of the game as all you do is run forward... but once it got to the "open area" and the game expected you to know how to get from place to place, it turned into a mess

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
and batshit story idk.

Serah yelling at future Hope in the past is either brilliant or crazy dumb.
But magical maguffin parodoxes was a fun way to go for batshit story and they clearly had fun with it.

FF13-2 was def better than 1.
...Also I stan for Noel x Serah way more than the two kinda creepy pairings they individually have.
Amazing OST too.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
XIII-2 was the first FF that I actually finished. So that's the one that got me into the series. As a result, to me that's how FF is/should be. It was an interesting experience revisiting earlier games in the series like FFVII and FFX haha

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Serah yelling at future Hope in the past is either brilliant or crazy dumb.
But magical maguffin parodoxes was a fun way to go for batshit story and they clearly had fun with it.

FF13-2 was def better than 1.
...Also I stan for Noel x Serah way more than the two kinda creepy pairings they individually have.
Amazing OST too.
if you're talking about the fragments as macguffins then yeah. the fragments are such good collectibles because they're a great set goal you can have, which is different from most RPGs where it's random sidequests everywhere and there's nothing pushing me to completion. The fact that there's a list of how many fragments (which honestly are basically the sidequests of this game) that you can get for each area kind of adds the checklist element of collectathons that I love so much. It feels easy to keep track of instead of random sidequests strewn about if that makes sense. And each one has its own lore you can read which is a nice touch.
XIII's map had no cardinal directions, no words on it (no landmarks or anything), and rotated depending on where you were facing... it was essentially useless.

Which wasn't a problem for 80% of the game as all you do is run forward... but once it got to the "open area" and the game expected you to know how to get from place to place, it turned into a mess
Oh then yeah I can confirm XIII-2's map is better. It's static at least and has icons on it that Mark quests, shops, npcs, blockades. Edit: I still don't think it has words on it.

Last edited:

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
if you're talking about the fragments as macguffins then yeah. the fragments are such good collectibles because they're a great set goal you can have, which is different from most RPGs where it's random sidequests everywhere and there's nothing pushing me to completion. The fact that there's a list of how many fragments (which honestly are basically the sidequests of this game) that you can get for each area kind of adds the checklist element of collectathons that I love so much. It feels easy to keep track of instead of random sidequests strewn about if that makes sense. And each one has its own lore you can read which is a nice touch.

Oh then yeah I can confirm XIII-2's map is better. It's static at least and has icons on it that Mark quests, shops, npcs, blockades. Edit: I still don't think it has words on it.
good to know it's better at least haha