• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I actually don't mind this game too much, though this is one game I sort of ignored around release. I played the first game a couple years ago and liked it well enough, though my expectations were quite low beforehand and it isn't my favorite by a longshot. Haven't tried the sequels, but I hope these get remaster treatment for the PS5. At that point, I will buy all 3.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
To me it's a better looking, better sounding, better acted, better playing evolution of FFX, minus the back tracking (which is admittedly a large drawback) and minigames (which is a plus because FFX's mini games are the worst).

It's a very linear, very narrative focused game told through cutscenes with a combat system where you swap out one class for another and an upgrade system where you can decide what type of upgrades you want for your character using spheres. Very similar in concept, same director, probably alot of the same developers even.

Admittedly the game does have problems outside of it's linearity, like the combat system taking too long to open up and having a data log instead of telling the story through dialogue, but i replayed it a couple of years ago and it held up extremely well, we've actually come full circle where open world fatigue made me enjoy the corridors.

I'm hoping that the reason the remasters are taking so long is because they're going for something closer to Zodiac Age than just making it look a little better, they could go in and open up the combat system earlier on, or maybe add something to the game to break up the battle/cutscene/battle/cutscene nature of the game.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Only played XIII and not the sequels and i thought was just ok, very good artstyle and fun combat the rest was soso. XV has shown us that it can get much worse then XIII so it's easier for me to forgive it's shortcomings now.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The soundtrack is one of the best ones I ever heard in video games. The art style is also pretty incredible.

The reveal trailer back in E3 2006 was also a sight to behold and made me hyped for the game.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Some old screen caps I don't think I ever used these on here before...

from the XB1X BC update
NWgNubO.png

XcHM6pi.png

z8TLeYI.png

k55hrQq.png

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Overall I enjoyed 13 quite a bit once I got going.

+ Battle system
+ Soundtrack
+ Story was good enough
+ Graphics were amazing for a PS360 game.

- Very linear
- Can't level grind (a negative for me personally)
- Weapon crafting system was confusing playing it for the first time
- Side quests all loaded at the end of the game instead of sprinkled throughout.

I would play it again on the PS4 if they released the trilogy with some tweaks.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I love it and hate it? I love the music, the battle system, and the time spent on Gran Pulse. The rest of it... the character designs, the story, the acting, the aesthetics... I hate it a lot. For me, it's the worst FF, and by quite a bit.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
I remember it being the first game I played afew repairing a red ringed 360 I got from a family member. Pumped to have gotten a console for near free and was really craving an rpg. I have never been more disappointed in something that seemed like it had so much potential. I feel like the game could have used more time to just let you chill and breathe. You're being chased for most of it so you don't get the opportunity to hang out in towns or do side quests as they don't exist until the end.

In comparison FFX and 12 both those games let you inhabit the world, talk to npcs, do side quests, visit towns, revisit places. I could be really offbase since I haven't played 13 since it came out but I remember being pissed that it only opened up in a place i cared so little about and you were doing MMO style achievement quests.

I also remember combat felt like it was originally designed for the player to have direct control of the character's positioning. Like swaping paradigms would make your character move slightly and certain attacks would make you move forward or back which could move you out of location based aoe. It felt clunky and shitty.

I've had friend say 13-2 is an overall better game mechanically but I couldn't bring myself to play another one after my experience with the prime game.

For whatever its worth I played Lost Odyssey and enjoyed it more shortly after, and some years later Lords of Shadow killed my rebuilt 360.

Oct 31, 2017
Overall I enjoyed 13 quite a bit once I got going.

+ Battle system
+ Soundtrack
+ Story was good enough
+ Graphics were amazing for a PS360 game.

- Very linear
- Can't level grind (a negative for me personally)
- Weapon crafting system was confusing playing it for the first time
- Side quests all loaded at the end of the game instead of sprinkled throughout.

I would play it again on the PS4 if they released the trilogy with some tweaks.

Ok the only thing I have to say about this is that you absolutely can level grind. I've played through it numerous times, and I never ran from any enemy encounters (outside of Archylite Steppe of course). Even in the chapter where the Crystarium is introduced (Chapter 3), if you want to max it for that chapter, you'll have to grind for 20ish mins even if you didn't avoid any encounters. By Chapter 5, maxing the Crystarium will take over an hour of grinding even if you didn't run from any enemies. By Chapter 9 there's no way in hell you're maxing it any time remotely soon, period. And it stays that way for the rest of the game.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
For me, this was the first FF that came out after I became a die hard fan of the series so the hype was through the roof. I can still remember the crushing anticipation leading up to its release, I hoarded up all the magazines that had any coverage on the game and just kept reading them over and over. And that trailer with the Leona Lewis song, I knew it by heart lol.

After it came out I was completely enchanted by its presentation and world. I still think it's breathtaking, even more so than the more graphically advanced XV. At the time I was in full fanboy mode so I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread (admittedly, I was 10 back then so forgive my lack of critical thinking haha). In retrospect, the story is trash, the characters are undercooked, and the game is so, SO, painfully linear it really hurts the experience.

BUT, I still think people give the game wayyy too much flack for its battle system. While obviously simpler than its predecessors, I actually find it to be one of the more engaging battle systems in the series. It's kind of like a rhythm game for me, trying to time the paradigm shifts at just the right moments to optimise your performance in battle. Coupled with the stagger system, it made for a quite unique experience, and something no other JRPG provided.

I also kinda adore the batshit insane hyper-futuristic world the game inhabited. It's so alien and so fascinating to observe, it's a shame a better, more open game didn't take place there. I'd be thrilled if we get a world as half as creative for the next mainline title.

So yeah, that's my experience with the game. It's a messy, incoherent game, but an interesting one nonetheless. Happy 10th birthday to the dark horse of the FF family!

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I started replaying the game last night...and I had forgotten how bad the writing is for the first hour. Every character talks in these short, pronoun-filled sentences as if they're trying their hardest to avoid making any concrete statements. It's clearly an intentional decision on the writers' part, since it gets better as soon as Lightning and Snow meet up, but it really is quite bad at the start. I suppose they were trying to realistically write characters who are under high stress and don't know/trust each other at all, but there's a reason why storytelling conventions exist, and shirking them can be really jarring for a viewer!

Tips for anyone playing the game for the first time:
  1. The writing and combat do get a lot better once you get through the intro areas.
  2. I highly recommend reading the Datalog entries to get a sense of the place and world. They're actually pretty well written, concise, and informative (much moreso than the dialogue in the first hour).
  3. Enjoy the pretty vistas and pre-rendered cutscenes; at least the opening of the game has those going for it!

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone knows if Virtuos were the one who worked on the PC ports or no? I've been checking out the depots of FF games and they have a specific Depot for each game of the trilogy that has been last updated 28 days ago. But I don't remember having it been said Virtuos worked on those.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the only FF I'll never return to. Unless maybe to see it in 4K if it's ever like 1$ on Steam one of those days.

Launch was hype, beginning of the game too, then everything fell apart. This game did hurt the brand a lot for me. Thankfully FFXV left a better impression, still a very flawed game too.

Oct 25, 2017
I spent a lot of time playing XIII and XIII-2 on PS3. I almost completed base XIII-2 on PS3, but going back now to finish on PC feels daunting (especially with the weird ass NG+ Coliseum DLC lockout and costume modding needed for the PC version). My LR play through never got off the ground due to the terrible world streaming stuttering (battles were clean though).

Enjoyed all of them immensely, but I don't know if I can go back now, its been so long. SE should fix the problems that all 3 of PC ports still suffer from.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to like FFXIII but the carelessness of the environment/dungeon designs makes it an unrewarding timesink. Way too many battles and mundane, repetitive environments. It always feels like a game and never feels like a world or adventure. I believe they just had too much difficulty with the engine tools and threw everything together at the last minute.
I actually wouldn't mind the linearity (it's nice to turn off my brain and just be led along after a long day) if it was interesting but it's just... not.
Music was amazing though.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I want to like FFXIII but the carelessness of the environment/dungeon designs makes it an unrewarding timesink. Way too many battles and mundane, repetitive environments. It always feels like a game and never feels like a world or adventure. I believe they just had too much difficulty with the engine tools and threw everything together at the last minute.
I actually wouldn't mind the linearity (it's nice to turn off my brain and just be led along after a long day) if it was interesting but it's just... not.
Music was amazing though.

Funny enough, I was way more into the story of XIII than I was XV. In hindsight, the story was much better presented in XIII and the game was easier to follow along thsn XV was

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I really wanted to like this game back when it came out but only really began to enjoy it after you get to the "open world" area quite far into the game (pulse, was it called?), and even though I finished it and most of the side-content, I don't have many fond memories. I really should revisit it one of these days and give it another shot.

Basslover

Jan 28, 2018
Op, even though I hate that game with the passion of a burning sun I commend the effort of your post and I can also empathize with the idea of loving a flawed game.

I love Legend of Mana for the ps1 even though I know that game has some problems.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed all of them immensely, but I don't know if I can go back now, its been so long. SE should fix the problems that all 3 of PC ports still suffer from.
The LR port was cleaner than the other two. It should mostly be a locked 60.

The other two ports aren't that bad, but their engine cannot deliver 60 in a lot of situations. But the frame rate doesn't really affect the game, so it's not something that makes it unplayable (all the other versions are locked 30, and the PC version should never drop below 30—it just bounces back and forth between 30 and 60).

And the game barely touches the GPU or CPU, so it can run on practically anything from the last decade.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I loved this game, but thought it was too linear. Graphics at the time were out of this world, though. Square is really good at graphics

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Still waiting for the trilogy remaster for ps4, I guess I will be waiting for trilogy remaster for ps5 now...

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Don't remember liking XIII much at all, but the huge FF fan in me would be extremely curious to play it all again a decade later. Maybe I'd see if differently at 30 than 20.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Anyone knows if Virtuos were the one who worked on the PC ports or no? I've been checking out the depots of FF games and they have a specific Depot for each game of the trilogy that has been last updated 28 days ago. But I don't remember having it been said Virtuos worked on those.
The ports were made internally by SE, so you mentioning Virtuos got me cautiously excited because the ports of X/X-2 and XII are fantastic. Here's hoping.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SE couldn't even bother with just a teaser image showing "FFXIII Trilogy Remaster 2020" during JF.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The ports were made internally by SE, so you mentioning Virtuos got me cautiously excited because the ports of X/X-2 and XII are fantastic. Here's hoping.
Probably just working on ports to other platforms (mobile?). Any port would obviously be based on the PC code base.

They've never shown much interest in the PC versions of any of their games.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't compare it to Last Jedi. TLJ is a bad movie.
FFXIII is a very slow game, but not the worst one. Combat gets good until the last parts. Story is all over the place. Characters are...

Ok FFXIII is bad.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I started it at a friend's place and liked it a lot. It was fun, beautiful and endearing even if a bit cheesy at times. It really felt like FF actually since most FF start with a rather linear structure and can feel a bit camp.
So I bought the game...
And realized my mistake while progressing. It takes forever to open up, the story become worst and worst, the gameplay loop is so boring in the end, no town...well nothing outside corridors.
I was so disappointed.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Over the years I mellowed out on 13 but then I replayed 9 recently and all it flaws are rearing its ugly heads at me again more clearly.
I don't think I hate it as much as some people cause in the end I had brainless auto pilot fun when I played it but it certainly did not engage on a level any of the previous games did.

It def was the start of a decade of absolutely lackluster ff singleplayer experiences that has yet to end.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Travesty there's not even murmurs of a remaster collection. Unless they are keeping it under wraps for next-gen, there's a huge opportunity.
A trilogy package reasonably priced would sell great. Shedloads of content.

Regarding the actual game; I pretty much loved everything about it other than the narrative structure. I didn't even mind the first few chapters effectively just being a corridor simulator, it made the final few chapters worth It. I remember the outrage when the game leaked in Japan - people just couldn't adjust to the format.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting on game pass to give this game a second chance. Does the back compat version have japanese voice option? I guess not. -_-

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A highly underrated game that's far better than some Era JRPG darlings like Persona and Xenoblade.

Feb 16, 2018
Least liked mainline final fantasy that I've played, kind of curious to try XIII-2 and XIII-3 though so I hope square does release a trilogy remaster at some point.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Love love looooooooooove it.

One of my favorite games of the PS3 era.

I like VII and XV the best, but this is a close 3rd

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I never finished the first one and never played the other two. Maybe I'll just get around to that once they're on PC Gamepass....been a while since I've played a FF. They look gorgeous at the higher-res and while super linear at first...I didn't hate it. After I got to roam around the open world other stuff ended up coming out that pulled me away from the grind.

9 pages and not one mention of a certain meme. Impressive, but also disappointing considering it's a part of the game's legacy, lol