• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Whats everyones class combo's from a roleplaying perspective? Mine Below:

Vaan: Daggers\Bushi
Basche: Knight\Foebreaker
Fran: Archer\Spears
Balthier: Guns\Time magic
Ashe: Red Battlemage\White Mage
Penelo: Monk\Black Mage

My teams are usually:

Vaan, Balthier, Fran and Basch, Ashe, Penelo.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I really need to look at getting some Ribbons, this game is probably the most I've ever seen a Final Fantasy throw status ailments at you.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Even around level 27 Marilith is pushing my shit in. I'm just trying to complete everything I can before going into Bur-Omisace

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I messed up my double job classes but at the same time, my whole team is quite OP by now. I may go back in and reset some classes just to get the most out of the system.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Now I'm kind of glad Dry came up before I get a chance to go for him. Looking for Mjrn now.
I beat it after two attempts, it's pretty easy once you figure out his weaknesses, and if you have one very useful black magic spell alongside a elemental-boosting staff/rod

The last 30% are hell if you don't know how to counter the hunt.

Espers are also super useful in The Zodiac Age, saved my skin more than once

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I very seldom say this about a game but I'm close to the end and happy this game will be over soon. I liked the gambit system, character/class development and the premise of this world with all its cultures, imperialism and high politics - but they made so little of it. I never got invested into the fate of the party you get to play as. The plot is told in a way that I cannot call anything but boring, especially after you reached the capital. The mid-section of the game was a bit better in this regard.

It's still an okayish to decent game but I enjoyed every other mainline Final Fantasy that I played way more.

Last edited:

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I just finished Raithwall Tomb and got my 2nd jobs, time for crippling indecision and grinding to start to hinder my progress through the game!

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to hunt for that Nihopalaoa accessory and give it a whirl. Most of the boss fights I just let loose an Esper and keep it buffed to get the job done or try and get a boss HP down to a 1/3 left before the Esper retreats.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I very seldom say this about a game but I'm close to the end and happy this game will be over soon. I liked the gambit system, character/class development and the premise of this world with all its cultures, imperialism and high politics - but they made so little of it. I never got invested into the fate of the party you get to play as. The plot is told in a way that I cannot call anything but boring, especially after you reached the captial. The mid-section of the game was a bit better in this regard.
I'm not even close to the end of the game but I've noticed this too. These plot progressions and twists just don't work if you put any thought into it. Early on when Vaan is in the treasure room and he takes the macguffin, Balthier and Fran come in and chase him as if the rock has significant purpose. Later on they think it's cursed and don't want it anymore. They apparently thought it's just treasure. Why not take just about anything else in the treasury because it was literally filled with gold?

A bit later on, you meet the resistance leader who actually works for the Empire to infiltrate their ranks. He then joins your party on the ship to help you escape. He drops his helmet and fights the Empire's soldiers along the way. He then leaves your party to stay in the Empire's army as if nothing happened. Later on he joins you again and literally nobody bats an eye and questions his motives because he's supposed to be loyal or some bullshit. Does the writer think we're stupid?

Makes you think how far modern video game storytelling has come along.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I feel like I'm not doing as much damage as I should be. I'm just barely managing to keep up with all the new Hunts that get posted. The Nidhogg (which is only like Hunt #5) wiped me out like 3 times before I finally managed to take it down. I'm scared to take on the other "special" hunts offered by the hunting clan because I feel like I would go down in no time flat.

Maybe I should've invested more in weapons and armor before spending my Gil on filling up on Gambits? At least I finally got the funds to purchase all of them once I took the Nidhogg down, so now I can focus again on growing my characters.

Oct 30, 2017
Just got through Mateus. Decided to use every job. In general, I try to pair high MAG with high STR for flexibility, but there aren't enough mage classes to do it fully.

Vaan: Uhlan/Bushi for high STR katana with ranged option
Balthier: Shikari/Foebreaker to break and smash
Fran: White/Machinist. I have no idea what else to put machinist on since guns ignore stats
Basch: Knight/Time. Did this before I noticed their armor overlaps. Rest is good.... variety of tanky/DPS/Support.
Ashe: Monk/Black. HP and kickpunch when nukes don't work.
Penelo: Archer/Red. Just flexible.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just got Ashe in the party. World in general has been kinda meh as I remember it, with a couple pretty similar dungeons to start off with. Everything seems so majestic and fantastic during cutscenes and in-between gameplay, but then you regain control and the world just doesn't seem to compare.

Combat wise after doing some more reading I feel like I'm doing a much better job, although there are still a few really common situations that I feel gambits don't handle real well. Outside of a fight that I later learned I was supposed to just run from I haven't had too many troubles.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not even close to the end of the game but I've noticed this too. These plot progressions and twists just don't work if you put any thought into it. Early on when Vaan is in the treasure room and he takes the macguffin, Balthier and Fran come in and chase him as if the rock has significant purpose. Later on they think it's cursed and don't want it anymore. They apparently thought it's just treasure. Why not take just about anything else in the treasury because it was literally filled with gold?

A bit later on, you meet the resistance leader who actually works for the Empire to infiltrate their ranks. He then joins your party on the ship to help you escape. He drops his helmet and fights the Empire's soldiers along the way. He then leaves your party to stay in the Empire's army as if nothing happened. Later on he joins you again and literally nobody bats an eye and questions his motives because he's supposed to be loyal or some bullshit. Does the writer think we're stupid?

The nethicite is known to be the most prized royal treasure of Dalmasca. Why would Balthier take some trinket out there when it's the most important thing and he's one the most infamous sky pirate in Ivalice?

Vossler wasn't working for the Empire then, he was the most loyal person to the resistance and carried everything on his shoulders. Marquis Ondore smuggled Vossler aboard the Leviathan in order to save the princess. I think you forgot some things because he didn't say in the army, Larsa told him to follow him and then you see him at the airport again.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm not doing as much damage as I should be. I'm just barely managing to keep up with all the new Hunts that get posted. The Nidhogg (which is only like Hunt #5) wiped me out like 3 times before I finally managed to take it down. I'm scared to take on the other "special" hunts offered by the hunting clan because I feel like I would go down in no time flat.

Maybe I should've invested more in weapons and armor before spending my Gil on filling up on Gambits? At least I finally got the funds to purchase all of them once I took the Nidhogg down, so now I can focus again on growing my characters.

Optional stuff like hunts and Espers can be quite challenging in this game, especially if you try and fight them as soon as they become available.

Like some others have said, buffs and status effects are big things in this game. For example, you can Blind the Nidhogg to make it a lot easier. Especially early on, spells like Blind and Slow are staples.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
And don't miss Dispel in Raithwell's Tomb like I did. Spent half the game without it and it was far more annoying than it should've been. Finally looked up where I missed it and.. yeah. Stupid.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The nethicite is known to be the most prized royal treasure of Dalmasca. Why would Balthier take some trinket out there when it's the most important thing and he's one the most infamous sky pirate in Ivalice?

Vossler wasn't working for the Empire then, he was the most loyal person to the resistance and carried everything on his shoulders. Marquis Ondore smuggled Vossler aboard the Leviathan in order to save the princess. I think you forgot some things because he didn't say in the army, Larsa told him to follow him and then you see him at the airport again.
The problem is Balthier doesn't seem to know it's nethicite or what nethicite is capable of. I can't fully grasp his motivations. He asks Ashe's ring as collateral for putting his and Fran's life in danger for potentially future upsides. Either he's the most brilliant or charitable pirate. Either way, leaving the nethicite there to be stowed away raises questions in itself.

Vossler is just a clumsily written plot device that you could see a mile away.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is Balthier doesn't seem to know it's nethicite or what nethicite is capable of. I can't fully grasp his motivations. He asks Ashe's ring as collateral for putting his and Fran's life in danger for potentially future upsides. Either he's the most brilliant or charitable pirate. Either way, leaving the nethicite there to be stowed away raises questions in itself.

Vossler is just a clumsily written plot device that you could see a mile away.
Balthier knows and there are hints strew throughout. I don't think you are far enough in the story to make sense of it

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
whew! Wasn't there the first time but I zoned out and went back and the chest appeared. I left the area as soon as it was in possession! Those bats are insanely hard in that area.

9kQO7xy.png

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Back at Bofenheim Port and now have Reddas in my party. Party level is around 47-50. I guess now is a good time to tackle some more hunts.

Eying up Deathgaze for the achievement but it's rank 7. Is it doable at my level/progress?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I tried getting Antlion but I think I have met my match. I couldn't even get to him because the enemies would slap me to death

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018

You're speaking of issues with regard to what motivates characters for their actions in the game. And I fully agree, a lot of it is questionable. To add onto this: Why do Vaan and Penelo even stick with everybody? Their sole reasons for joining are being dealt away with soon enough. The answer is: You will never find out why they did, sorry to spoil you in this regard ;) There are tons of issues like that. The mid-section does get a bit better, but even then most things remain very flat. I also think the audio plays its part. It's been praised on here and I do acknowledge the fine details of different accents, but why does everyone sound like their recording was taken inside an indoor swimming arena? Compressed audio file suck and for me further weaken the connection between characters and story.

It's just all so bland and boring rather than gripping. I very recently played FF VII, IX, X, XIII-2 and XV and they were all better in this regard (for all other issues they might have had). Or take Xenoblade 1 as the best example of similair games, even with the technical limitations and boring side quests of the Wii you DID care because cutscenes were done really well and you felt with Rex (btw, there will be less and less cutscenes when you move on, not helping the cause of the game...). But fully feeling with Ashe as to what she is doing? Hardly possible because it just, again, stays too bland.

As someone who has studied International Relations like me I also wished that imperial oppression, carrot and sticks tactics, policies and stuff were transported better.

The game's best part where things do click is in Bur-Omisace, when the nethizit with its religious elements and the human will for controlling or even creating nethizite are being introduced, as well as what massacre the empire is ready to do to uphold avantage and stay in power. But there are so many other scenes where the potential is never fully realized

There are a lot of pacing issues, too - but let's not get into that. The game has other strengths so I hope you will still enjoy the ride. I certainly did but will always be disappointed for what this game could have been.

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see what's so weird about a resistance leader keeping his cover as an imperial soldier after securing the princess, it makes way more sense that letting go of the special privilege and tactical advantages that grants him. Balthier always stroke me as knowing exactly what he was trying to steal as well, hmm.
And don't miss Dispel in Raithwell's Tomb like I did. Spent half the game without it and it was far more annoying than it should've been. Finally looked up where I missed it and.. yeah. Stupid.
Oh jeez, thanks for this. I've been relying on dispel motes instead and I just finished th

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could replay this game. I looooooved the hell out of it last summer on PS4. Zodiac Age is such a fantastic upgrade over vanilla FFXII.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Is it weird that I'm having trouble at the escape section of the Dreadnaught Leviathan? I have breezed through the game up til now without dying much but suddenly I'm getting crushed. I'm thinking about loading a save from about an hour earlier and doing some hunts/grinding to level up and maybe investing in some better armor, because no matter what gambits I've used I seem to get put down really easily and just am not doing much damage.

It seems like the general consensus is this game is super easy and I kinda felt that way for the first 8 hrs but suddenly I'm having issues. This is also really the first jrpg I've spent time playing.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i'm about to set off for Raithwall's Tomb and Fran is over here, lvl 24, sitting on 5014lp...

i don't know why i grind like I do but i did and now we are death

speaking of... changing license boards, for the first time, when you've got like 3 characters who have 900lp each:

"this is fucking dope"

Changing license boards, when you've got the entire party, and you grinded Trials for like 20 minutes so everyone's got 4000lp to spend:

"NO OH SHIT NO CAN I GO BACK... well here's to spending the next hour slotting boards" *drinks*

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm up to the Demon Wall and I've died six times already. What do I miss by running away from the first wall?

This is where I stopped playing last time.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm up to the Demon Wall and I've died six times already. What do I miss by running away from the first wall?

This is where I stopped playing last time.

IIRC it's not worth beating it on the first try anymore, in the OG version you could get a super powerful (for the time) sword but now you don't.

Just come back later and destroy it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
IIRC it's not worth beating it on the first try anymore, in the OG version you could get a super powerful (for the time) sword but now you don't.

Just come back later and destroy it.
Thanks!! Feels good to dodge the first and defeat the second Demon Wall before breakfast this morning.

I'm a big fan of all the UX improvements in this release. I want 2x in every RPG.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I only played up to the point where you get your first license point for Vaan and I am already stressed out what job I should choose first...

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a big fan of all the UX improvements in this release. I want 2x in every RPG.

It really is a feature I want in more re-releases/other JRPG. I love kicking back for cut scenes knowing I just got through a dungeon ect in 2~4x time. Especially on a second play through oooboy.

Are you using Mist attacks? This one is the first "road block" so to speak in terms of the hunts if I remember. I did it once it was available and it took many tries of misting it and going all in on attacks. Also using an odd setup for my character classes so far but its doable. Some of the bigger hunts are a challenge on purpose though since you can go back to them at almost any time.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I feel like I'm not doing as much damage as I should be. I'm just barely managing to keep up with all the new Hunts that get posted.
Some of the hunts are ridiculous. I still haven't beaten the chicken with its nuggets.

Make sure you're doing mist combos by pressing X/Y/B during the mist animation. This mechanic is really clumsy imo but it's critical to doing big damage, as you get bonus attacks for long chains.