• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
ok I got a shit load of LP and im filling up my licence board .. HOW do I get to the licenses that aren't attached? the ones that are like islands!??

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pretty early in the game but I'm finding it difficult navigating around maps so much that most of the time I'm playing the game like;

UqIDkwH.gif

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing this. Does the default jobs work out well? I made Vaan a Knight, Fran an archer, Balthier the job where you can use guns, and the girl at the beginning but then leaves your party a white mage

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing this. Does the default jobs work out well? I made Vaan a Knight, Fran an archer, Balthier the job where you can use guns, and the girl at the beginning but then leaves your party a white mage

That works totally fine. You'll be able to add a second job to everyone a little later in the story.

If you're playing on Switch or Xbox you're able to change your jobs with no consequence, so don't worry about picking the "right" jobs.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019

Default jobs should work out fine, but amusingly Fran makes for the worst archer and Balthier makes for the worst machinist. Or at least that's the arcane knowledge spread amongst the fanbase... I couldn't personally tell you why it's the case, or if it's even really true. But regardless, it almost certainly won't be an issue.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Default jobs should work out fine, but amusingly Fran makes for the worst archer and Balthier makes for the worst machinist. Or at least that's the arcane knowledge spread amongst the fanbase... I couldn't personally tell you why it's the case, or if it's even really true. But regardless, it almost certainly won't be an issue.

It's because their attack animations with those weapons are fractions of a second slower than (most) of the other characters.

Seriously.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
It's honestly really hard to go wrong with jobs and job combos in this one, unless you do something truly odd like make everyone a white mage. And in these new versions you can change jobs for free (with all LP refunded) just by talking to Montblanc in the clan hall.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Just bought this on the eshop and I'm loving it from first impressions. The 2x speed makes a huge difference, and I'm looking forward to using handheld mode to grind and do simple hunts.

I played FFXII halfway through back in 2006 or so on PS2, but I bounced off! I recall being overwhelmed by the license grid and all the systems and menus in general.

Any tips or pointers for someone less savvy with complex RPG systems?
I found the 'party planner' spreadsheet and this is my idea of hell (and a bit too close to some of my day job).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a couple days ago and I'm
totally hooked to this game. I remember it being good from the PS2 days but I
didn't remember it being this good. I think the updates (speed, graphics) bring this game to a new level. Might as well be my favorite FF now but I still have a way to go.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the main story. My first time with the game was way back at the original Japanese release. I imported it and played the main story without understanding any japanese. There was a wiki with tons of translations though and I used that. The game had this really magical feeling to me and I loved my time with it but for some reason the orignal EU PS2 release was not the same (probably because I finished the game just a few months before it's release) and I never got to finish it. Same with PS4, it lacked the magic. This time though I was hooked and the magic was back. Think the fact that we now can reset the jobs helps a lot because I was stressing too much about that when I played it on PS4.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Why couldn't they just make sellable loot a separate category in this game? It's annoying to have to go through the motions of deciding which loot to sell and what might come in useful for other purposes.

Soya

Oct 28, 2017
I found the 'party planner' spreadsheet and this is my idea of hell (and a bit too close to some of my day job).
Party Planner is really only for Min/Maxing. You could play through even with the worst combination.
If you want to have an easy time then look at a site like this: https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fant...es-for-Selecting-Jobs-Party-Combinations.html
It explains in plain english why some Job combos are better than others and the characters strong points.
The only other thing you should know about is the distribution of espers on the different license boards.
For example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Axo0tOHVJGdenUCgiWvH2WG3C8dbkIhl6nbDt_epHvk/
When you look at the top left part of the archers board, you see summon Famfrit blocks the way to "435 HP" and "350 HP". You can only get to the HP lincenses once you learn Famfrit. So you might want to teach Famfrit to your archer.
On boards like samurai it makes no difference since it doesn't block other lincenses. But on black mage it also blocks the way to several HP lincenses. So you must decide what is more important.
Same is true for Quickenings. There are 4 Qickening lincenses, but you can only learn 3 (the Quickenings themselfes are always the same). I don't have the switch version so I don't know if refund option also lets you reassign espers and quickenings. But that jegged.com site seems to be good user friendly site if you want to map your path out.
But like I said in the beginning if you don't want to min/max it really doesn't matter. You can do what you want.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought this on the eshop and I'm loving it from first impressions. The 2x speed makes a huge difference, and I'm looking forward to using handheld mode to grind and do simple hunts.

I played FFXII halfway through back in 2006 or so on PS2, but I bounced off! I recall being overwhelmed by the license grid and all the systems and menus in general.

Here's the thing: you cannot mess up your jobs. Not only can you freely change jobs in this version, but it was balanced around each character having one job, so having two automatically makes the player relatively overpowered — so there're no "bad" combinations.

Just have fun. :P

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Still early in, but enjoying it so far (never played original version), seems like a good casual handheld mode game

Decided to go Monk for Vaan, looking forward to getting more permanent party members and gambits

Being able to speed up the game is a really nice bonus

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, not buying it then.
Don't let those numbers put you off, though! Image quality is still significantly better than something like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and the battle system...Man, I nvere thought I'd get hooked, but the 2x speed and the right set of Gambits really is a game changer. You can really feel the QoL improvements it brings just going around maps with it. It's like...Sprint Shoes!

Also it's a very fun game! I wouldn't miss out just because of some resolution numbers.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
btw if anyone still early in the game and find they are having troubles with maps that have mines exploding in their faces.. Use Libra/float or some accessory that give you these abililites

X___x Gaddam Lhusu Mines although the enemies here remind me of Sauromugue Champaign

pKNQYvS.gif

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
btw if anyone still early in the game and find they are having troubles with maps that have mines exploding in their faces.. Use Libra/float or some accessory that give you these abililites

X___x Gaddam Lhusu Mines although the enemies here remind me of Sauromugue Champaign

pKNQYvS.gif
You could see my surprise there

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
The Switch release has forced me to return to XII. It's the best mainline entry since 9, and I'm glad it's getting so much positive attention.

The Switch port seems fantastic, and I'll gladly pick it up at some point, but for the moment I'm playing through it again on PS4.

The game has so much replayability with all the job combinations that it's never a bore to replay. The Switch/Xbone QoL changes look really nice and I hope Square gets inspiration from it when making XVI.

Im going for a 100% run this time.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing this and really enjoying it so far a few hours in.

Should easily top VIII/X/XV for me unless things completely fall apart later.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
I require a x2/x4 speed boost mode in all RPGs now. Playing this and previously beating FFIX with it is a dream.

Harlowlad

Oct 27, 2017
I really dig how many people sharing their discovery and love for XII in 2019. Games really are timeless (well some more than others !!!!)

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
First timers keep your impressions coming! It's really interesting to see that, overall, this has been the FF treated most kindly by the pass of time.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I hate XII I will find a way to play it and beat it after days gone. I've never gone more than a few hours in because I hated the pseudo ATB and real time mix.

I promise Era one day I will not completely hate this game, just bare with me!

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Kind of disappointing Switch ports are not 720/1080 native, but looking at the other ports... well it makes sense. The game still looks quite nice and I'm very happy I can enjoy it on the go now since I skipped xii back in the day because I was full on ffxi mode. Great, great addition to Switch library.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Kind of disappointing Switch ports are not 720/1080 native, but looking at the other ports... well it makes sense. The game still looks quite nice and I'm very happy I can enjoy it on the go now since I skipped xii back in the day because I was full on ffxi mode. Great, great addition to Switch library.
Could have fooled me...the game looks phenomenal in handheld mode.

You could see my surprise there

Haha, yep. After the Lhusu Mines I kept at least one party member with a [Self -> Libra] gambit so that I'd always have it up.

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
Replaying the game, last time was on PS2. really loving it again and having an easier time understanding what's going on now.

The Garamside Waterway/Palace/Barheim passage combo is amazing. Also feels real good when you get outside again.

I don't really understand why people play at 2x speed though. It controls like ass that way and does not feel right. Normal speed, Battle speed at Max, wait mode and not too many gambits make the game feel far more involving.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Replaying the game, last time was on PS2. really loving it again and having an easier time understanding what's going on now.

The Garamside Waterway/Palace/Barheim passage combo is amazing. Also feels real good when you get outside again.

I don't really understand why people play at 2x speed though. It controls like ass that way and does not feel right. Normal speed, Battle speed at Max, wait mode and not too many gambits make the game feel far more involving.

By the time I finished the PS4 version I couldn't even stomach 2x speed, 4x speed only.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Party Planner is really only for Min/Maxing. You could play through even with the worst combination.
If you want to have an easy time then look at a site like this: https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fant...es-for-Selecting-Jobs-Party-Combinations.html
It explains in plain english why some Job combos are better than others and the characters strong points.
The only other thing you should know about is the distribution of espers on the different license boards.
For example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Axo0tOHVJGdenUCgiWvH2WG3C8dbkIhl6nbDt_epHvk/
When you look at the top left part of the archers board, you see summon Famfrit blocks the way to "435 HP" and "350 HP". You can only get to the HP lincenses once you learn Famfrit. So you might want to teach Famfrit to your archer.
On boards like samurai it makes no difference since it doesn't block other lincenses. But on black mage it also blocks the way to several HP lincenses. So you must decide what is more important.
Same is true for Quickenings. There are 4 Qickening lincenses, but you can only learn 3 (the Quickenings themselfes are always the same). I don't have the switch version so I don't know if refund option also lets you reassign espers and quickenings. But that jegged.com site seems to be good user friendly site if you want to map your path out.
But like I said in the beginning if you don't want to min/max it really doesn't matter. You can do what you want.
Thanks for writing this up! It's still complex and scary, but makes a bit more sense now. I'm going to fumble along for a while and see what sticks, and then I'll seek help from these guides. :)

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Lol WTH.. I'm in this ship called Leviathan and a guest joins and tells you not to set off the laser trap alarms and like an idiot they go off charging at every enemy setting off said alarms X_x

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Speed up 2x and 4x is MVP for this game. Makes it so much less annoying to back track or grind out smaller battles. The game didn't click with me back when it was released, but really enjoying it this time around after about 7 hours of play.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't they just make sellable loot a separate category in this game? It's annoying to have to go through the motions of deciding which loot to sell and what might come in useful for other purposes.

I want to say there are only a handful of loot drops that are needed for anything significant.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Disable is an amazing spell. So many mobs are affected by it.

Also, I've set gambits to roast anything under oil status and I just spam oil with my leader.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Any early game gambit recommendations? I tried a couple but I feel like I'm not maximizing my capabilities even early on. I'm at the Lhusu Mines atm.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Any early game gambit recommendations? I tried a couple but I feel like I'm not maximizing my capabilities even early on. I'm at the Lhusu Mines atm.

Not many options at that point, but definitely have a Steal Gambit set up. Foe: HP = 100% - Steal on one character and Foe: HP = 100% Attack on another is what I use.

Beyond that just the basic Cure and Attack Gambits (I use Foe: lowest HP) will suffice.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
How do I unlock weak-mode / new game minus, by beating trials? Will my LP and gear carry over because I want a fresh start with all characters at a low level.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Bummed that the RNG manipulation tricks don't work on the Switch/Xbox version. Was looking forward to screwing around with those and ruining the game with Seitengrat spam. Hopefully these guys can work out how to get it working soon.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I so wish you could have 4 people in your party instead of 3. Over 10 hours in and I still haven't figured out a consistent 3 I want to roll with.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
I am now 14 hours in (at Eruyt Village). This game ROCKS. Every time I get to a new area with enemies that give decent Exp I just run around for 10 mins leveling everyone up and scoring loot to sell on x4 speed. I'm keeping the whole party levelled because it's really fun to switch around. Also did the first ten trial stages and landed a ton of LP. There's something incredibly therapeutic about this game.

Getting second jobs for everyone was so awesome, it meant I could pump up the HP of characters that needed it really quickly and give my healers attack options.

Finally, my only complaint about the game was going to be that it was a bit too "brown" but then I hit the plains and jungle and started getting some nice FFX vibes.

I can see myself going for the full gamerscore on this one :)

Bonus tip: Get the green magic spell "Decoy" when you can. You cast it on someone and all enemies target them, turning them into a tank. It allows you to have a tank, heal, DPS setup which is useful for some bosses.