• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 19, 2018
$15 PS4 vs $40 Switch. It's a tough call.

I've never played XII before. Portability aside, do the Switch-specific features justify the extra cost? License board resets and Gambit sets sound like handy features to have, but are they really?

Oct 27, 2017

I've never played XII before. Portability aside, do the Switch-specific features justify the extra cost? License board resets and Gambit sets sound like handy features to have, but are they really?

The new features are nice, but hardly necessary. You'd just need to be a bit more careful about your jobs, but the game is basically designed around being beatable with any combination. Unless you get silly and have a party full of only white mages.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017

The job reset feature is a godsend. Keeps everything fresh for your entire playthrough. I'm around 8 hours in and have done 3-4 resets for Vaan already.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
But for some reason, the Xbox doesn't have a retail release...? Why?

It seems you are right, there is no Xbox version at any store (including the Square Enix store). Square Enix decided not to ship any of the Xbox version to the UK I guess. Perhaps they thought it wasn't worth the cost, I'm not sure.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to echo the concerns with using the d-pad only for menus, and using analog stick for movement... I don't remember it being like that in the PS4 version. Was it? I was unable to get adjusted to that last night; hopefully I will.

I don't remember it being like that on ps2 or ps4. I don't remember a lot of extensive switching between analog and dpad and I played on active with minimal gambits.

If it has always been like that, though, I have a feeling it's because analog and dpad placement is so ass on the Joycons and that's why it feels so uncomfortable and unusual compared to the Dualshock controllers.

I went back and checked the PS4 version, and I was surprised to realize that it's indeed like the Switch version - you can only use d-pad for menus on PS4. (I had legitimately forgot.) As Wilsongt says, I think it's the placement of the d-pad on the Dualshock that makes it work for PS4. Having to use the d-pad on the Joy-Cons would definitely be more intrusive.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Bought this earlier today on the eShop. I've been wanting to pick up an RPG for Switch and couldn't decide what to go with but this seemed like a good one. It's going to be my first Final Fantasy game and my second jrpg ever (played maybe half of Chrono Trigger). I'm about 2 hours in and I'm feeling it.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019

The answer is yes for the reset licence board and no for the gambits. Licence Board resetting will allow you to create specific job set ups for every boss in the game, only when you need them, rather than making the decision at the start of the game and needing to get the balance right. It will allow you to have multiple of single jobs to destroy enemies.

In saying all that, Zodiac Age is incredibly easy and no matter what combination you choose you can and will destroy everything in the main game. Some of the later trials are a bit different but other than that you can breeze through the main game no matter what setup you choose. The reset just lets you have more freedom and fun with it.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Bought Dragon's Dogma because I wanted something meaty to play while on the go and found it kind of a pain in the ass to play in portable because of the small text and cluttered UI. Really happy that the brighter color palette of FF XII and the way subtitles are handled make this much more enjoyable to play in portable mode.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to finally playing. I have been a bit cool on FF games post-VII, (except for XI and XIV, but MMOs are different,) but I've always been intrigued by XII, maybe because I like Square MMOs and this apparently plays like one.

The idea of quality FF worldbuilding and storytelling with gameplay that is more my jam is exciting. Plus I can now play it the way I like to play all RPGs: in bed with a pint of ice cream next to me.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I changed my Vaan from being a White Mage to an axe-wielding damage dealer. Fran now provides health while Balthier sits in the back and
Bache
deals damage.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is an older game but in the in game cutscenes is everyone's eyes supposed to be black holes? It's legit unnerving lol

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I picked time mage, I used my LP points to unlock time magick 1, i go into battle and go to use my magic but have no magic?

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Playing this game again reinforces several opinions I had when the game released and then seeing FF 13:

1.) They screwed up thinking they needed to have some Gakt teen as the lead partway through production(as the story could have been even better if they stuck to the original core idea of Basch as the lead)

2.)The Ivalice setting really was the sweet spot between the older fantasy and newer sci-fi push of the series and the more political, adult, grounded story telling of this entry was the direction the franchise should have gone.

3.) Barring that, S/E really dropped the ball in not finding some way to at least off-shoot this type of setting and story-telling into it's own franchise. Preferably even going into the M territory. Ivalice is really where they could merry a sort of GoT, FF, Witcher style series that plays much better with audience tastes than what S/E has been chasing recently in the mainline series.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
So I just found out today that the game will totally let you do a Trial Mode run as Reks [!!], the guy from the prologue. I was stupidly delighted when it actually let me in. Even managed to clear stage #2 (Thextera + Alpha Wolf + Alpha Hyena) with him.

Now I want to beat the regular game so I can go New Game+ and see how far in Trial Mode I can get with a level 90 Reks, lol. I'm sure someone's tried it...

EDIT: yep, someone has! Even managed to defeat Belias with some very clever usage of Bubble/Balance motes. (Also I had no clue Sap worked on him)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So I just found out today that the game will totally let you do a Trial Mode run as Reks [!!], the guy from the prologue. I was stupidly delighted when it actually let me in. Even managed to clear stage #2 (Thextera + Alpha Wolf + Alpha Hyena) with him.

Now I want to beat the regular game so I can go New Game+ and see how far in Trial Mode I can get with a level 90 Reks, lol. I'm sure someone's tried it...

That's fun trivia. I'd always wished Vaan had looked like (or been) Reks instead.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, yeah so I just booted up and tested the PS4 version.

Definitely control the menus with the Dpad.

However, what makes the Switch port so uncomfortable after playing the PS2/PS4 version for so long is definitely the way the Joycons are designed. They are a terrible design for a game where you're actively switching between the Analog stick and the Dpad on the fly during battles. That is definitely a negative in the Switch's court.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Actually really surprised with how well the Switch version looks and runs. Switch ports are always a bit hit or miss but this port is about as good as I could have possibly hoped. Really top-notch stuff.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Playing this game again reinforces several opinions I had when the game released and then seeing FF 13:

1.) They screwed up thinking they needed to have some Gakt teen as the lead partway through production(as the story could have been even better if they stuck to the original core idea of Basch as the lead)

2.)The Ivalice setting really was the sweet spot between the older fantasy and newer sci-fi push of the series and the more political, adult, grounded story telling of this entry was the direction the franchise should have gone.

3.) Barring that, S/E really dropped the ball in not finding some way to at least off-shoot this type of setting and story-telling into it's own franchise. Preferably even going into the M territory. Ivalice is really where they could merry a sort of GoT, FF, Witcher style series that plays much better with audience tastes than what S/E has been chasing recently in the mainline series.

Vaan is no Gackt teen though. You don't know Gackt if you think Vaan resembles him in anyway XD
The "midway change" was overblown by people who dislike Vaan and the game. It was probably early in the pre production stage that they decided on Vaan being the main character.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

They once tried making a mature Final Fantasy on psp but it was a mess :^S

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Even after three play-throughs, I still don't see the hate for Vaan.
His scenes with Ashe are some of the best in the game.

Though it certainly helps that the remake fixes his fucked-up skeletor abs.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
That's fun trivia. I'd always wished Vaan had looked like (or been) Reks instead.
For what it's worth, there's at least one mod for the PC version that does just that. Reks looks pretty good with nonstandard equipment:

2-1518636986-1972112513.png

Even after three play-throughs, I still don't see the hate for Vaan.
His scenes with Ashe are some of the best in the game.
Part of it stems from the fact that people keep thinking he's the game's main character, which drives me up the wall sometimes.

The technique is rarely used in storytelling, but Vaan is a peripheral narrator; we see the story through his eyes even though the overarching plot of the game is about Ashe proving her royal birthright (and, to a lesser extent, Basch clearing his name). Everyone else is, relatively speaking, just along for the ride, as they get swept up in the political machinations of house Solidor, the Archadian Empire, and the Occuria. It's kind of silly that Vaan is used in spinoff games as XII's representative, as he becomes only occasionally relevant once the party is fully assembled and the plot really kicks into gear.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I would like Vaan more if he didn't have a stupid Aladdin vest.

Especially when you have Balthier and Fran looking slick as hell right next to him.

Nov 17, 2017
Part of it stems from the fact that people keep thinking he's the game's main character, which drives me up the wall sometimes.

The technique is rarely used in storytelling, but Vaan is a peripheral narrator; we see the story through his eyes even though the overarching plot of the game is about Ashe proving her royal birthright (and, to a lesser extent, Basch clearing his name). Everyone else is, relatively speaking, just along for the ride, as they get swept up in the political machinations of house Solidor, the Archadian Empire, and the Occuria. It's kind of silly that Vaan is used in spinoff games as XII's representative, as he becomes only occasionally relevant once the party is fully assembled and the plot really kicks into gear.
This person gets it.

I've been wanting Ashe to be the XII representative in spinoff games forever.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Especially when you have Balthier and Fran looking slick as hell right next to him.

I enjoy Vaan as a character, but yeah, I mainly just wish he were wearing something else. If he just had his Revenant Wings shirt on under the vest, he'd be a lot more palatable as the player-controlled character.

Though Fran's "design" is... quite bad as well. FFXII's Viera should have hewed closer to FFTA's — specifically the less fan servicey designs like Assassin or Sniper:

latest

latest

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy Vaan as a character, but yeah, I mainly just wish he were wearing something else. If he just had his Revenant Wings shirt on under the vest, he'd be a lot more palatable as the player-controlled character.

Though Fran's "design" is... quite bad as well. FFXII's Viera should have hewed closer to FFTA's — specifically the less fan servicey designs like Assassin or Sniper:

latest

latest

Yeah considering how Balthier is so dapper. You would think that she wants to dress like differently as a Viera who's no longer part of her world.

Speaking of controls, the analog stick and dpad positions really makes it hard to get used to. I could use the pro controller but that'll defeat the advantage of being portable.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The Aladdin vest doesn't bother me at all. It's just that the look clearly meant to reflect his "street rat" status is a little too inspired by Disney's Aladdin.

I mean, Vaan could've been so...so much worse...

doujima

May 2, 2019
I don't want to accidentally run into a spoiler so I haven't checked the thread, but is anyone else having input lag? I usually don't care about some lag here and there, but here it's definitely rough enough to notice. Is it just on my end?
It's a known issue with the PS4 version, at least. I've heard that it's less pronounced on the PC version, but I'm not able to test it for myself. I did some informal testing with a high speed camera and found that the input latency was 50% more pronounced (200 ±5ms vs 133 ±5ms on my particular display device) in FFXII:TZA played on a base PS4 as compared to the original PS2 game when moving the camera around within the world.

I notified Square Enix about my findings, as well as the fact that this seems to be a known issue, and they were receptive, but ultimately provided no solution.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Really enjoying my first time with this game. TBH, I am a little nervous about the license board(s) and not sure if I need to be smart about what I pick or just go for it and not worry?
I'm early on still so not much damage done I imagine. Any advice for early game builds for first timers and should I just unlock often and not worry about where it takes me?
I looked at that guide link mentioned early in this thread, but I am a bit overwhelmed I guess. Lol.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoying my first time with this game. TBH, I am a little nervous about the license board(s) and not sure if I need to be smart about what I pick or just go for it and not worry?
I'm early on still so not much damage done I imagine. Any advice for early game builds for first timers and should I just unlock often and not worry about where it takes me?
I looked at that guide link mentioned early in this thread, but I am a bit overwhelmed I guess. Lol.

You can change jobs shortly into the game, like an hour plus or so if I don't remember wrongly. So no need to worry.

Unless you're playing the PS4 or PC version.