• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TitanNut88

Nov 19, 2018
This is one these games I could replay infinitely and this is just a very good reason for starting it again.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Since this has basically become the OT, I will chime to say how bad quickenings are. They had their place in the originals but in ZA they stick out. They are OP in that they are free damage with no risk that can be charged instantly, but balanced by being RNGish I guess? They take so long though that I almost hate using them, but still feel somewhat guilty using them despite them being critical for killing some real nasty shit in the first half before you become godly that otherwise destroys parties. They lose so much of their value when you have the speed up option and are reasonably established. By the time you play out a 12x combo you could have had hundred plus attacks that would have doubled what the quickening does.

I feel like the same goes with espers. Losing 2 party members to gain one decently strong summon loses so much value when you aren't fighting time and the ATB anymore.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Since this has basically become the OT, I will chime to say how bad quickenings are. They had their place in the originals but in ZA they feel like a relic. They are OP in that they are free damage with no risk that can be charged instantly, but balanced by being RNGish I guess? They take so long though that I almost hate using them, but still feel somewhat guilty using them despite them being critical for killing some real nasty shit in the first half before you become godly that otherwise destroys parties. They lose so much of their value when you have the speed up option and reasonably established. By the time you play out a 12x combo you could have had hundred plus attacks that would have doubled what the quickening does.
100% agreed. It tarnished what was otherwise a good experience on Switch (well, that and the mostly under-developed cast of characters).

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing FFXII ZA on PS4 with my girlfriend (the original is my favourite FF, and this is her first time playing, and both Quickenings and Espers have had their place, mainly when fighting difficult battles. With Quickenings, OhSatan said, they're safe and free damage, which is good when you need to finish off a boss / enemy and you're almost there. Summons have been useful in scenarios where most of the party is weak / dead and we need something to tank hits / hopefully finish it off.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Just started a bit last night before I went to bed, and man I can't believe I've never touched this before, it seems like it is gonna be great.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I agree that the quickenings just take too damn long to be fun for use in combat. They are nice for dealing just a little extra damage especially when a boss is in some sort of mode where you can't hit them with one of the main attack types.

Summonings also seem to have limited usefulness during fights but they're fun boss fights in themselves and they unlock parts of the license board so I'm glad they're there.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Also if anyone wants to drop some tips ITT for newbies like myself that'd be great. I read some but I'll happily take more. Planing to make Vaan Shikari/Time Mage.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I've never been into the ultra detailed aspect of something like the Gambit system, and frankly I don't want to go and set it up. But if I turn it off, will the party members do their own thing or do I NEED to do the Gambit system for them to battle and use their abilities?

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been into the ultra detailed aspect of something like the Gambit system, and frankly I don't want to go and set it up. But if I turn it off, will the party members do their own thing or do I NEED to do the Gambit system for them to battle and use their abilities?

In my experience you can just set up the gambits once as a "set it and forget it" kind of thing; only the casters really need any sort of complicated gambits.

That's always been my main gripe about 12- Technics are almost entirely useless, so the vast majority of my party's gambits ended up being just "Party Leader Target > Attack", maybe with some potions thrown in. The gambit system is cool, the underlying combat system is super shallow so you end up not doing anything with it.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Just found Fran and Balthier and barely defeated the first Boss,or mini Boss,in the sewers,the Flans and Firemane but I feel I am not doing it right...a few quick questions before I go deeper in the game...I dont quite understand the licenses yet...I chose Battlemage for Vaan and since Fran had a bow by default and Balth guns,I went with those licenses.What I dont get is why I have 120 points to choose stuff but they are greyed out and the only thing for example that I can use with Vaan is Steal,even though I chose 2 dark magic spells on the board...or why Balthier's Gambit can be set up with First Aid but he doesnt have any...too early in the game...? might as well wait on spending points if I cant use the spells I unlock from the license yet ??

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Just found Fran and Balthier and barely defeated the first Boss,or mini Boss,in the sewers,the Flans and Firemane but I feel I am not doing it right...a few quick questions before I go deeper in the game...I dont quite understand the licenses yet...I chose Battlemage for Vaan and since Fran had a bow by default and Balth guns,I went with those licenses.What I dont get is why I have 120 points to choose stuff but they are greyed out and the only thing for example that I can use with Vaan is Steal,even though I chose 2 dark magic spells on the board...or why Balthier's Gambit can be set up with First Aid but he doesnt have any...too early in the game...? might as well wait on spending points if I cant use the spells I unlock from the license yet ??

You bought the license, but you need to buy the actual spell and techniques from vendors. They are spaced out in dungeons and vendors by story progress so that you can't grind and buy your way to powerful spells at the start of the game. Once you buy it, it's available for everyone who has the license

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
XII can definitely be a bit obtuse, each character has some optimal job choices but so long as you try to synergize your characters you should be fine
What do you mean by greyed out? If a spell name is greyed out, then what the poster above said.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Does this edition not have ... audio options ... like at all ?The constant bgm and low voice acting volume is mightily annoying and even the pre game option pack is just video adjustments.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
You bought the license, but you need to buy the actual spell and techniques from vendors. They are spaced out in dungeons and vendors by story progress so that you can't grind and buy your way to powerful spells at the start of the game. Once you buy it, it's available for everyone who has the license

XII can definitely be a bit obtuse, each character has some optimal job choices but so long as you try to synergize your characters you should be fine
What do you mean by greyed out? If a spell name is greyed out, then what the poster above said.

Ah ok,thanks for the tips guys,I figured it was something like that since for now,I have been caught in sewers and prisons all this time so I cant buy anything...the leader is the only one you can control during battle right,because Vaan died just at the end of the Firemane fight and the game asked me to switch leaders and I chose Fran.

Also,I disabled the arc lines during combat,this is something that always bothered me in the 3 other times I started this game...I never made it this far and this time I plan on finishing it but should I turn those back on..? will it make the later busier/harder combats easier ?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

At the very least you'll need to have one character set up to heal, beyond that you can just leave everyone else with their default gambits if you can't be bothered with that

The only recommendation I make for classes in this game is to give red mage to someone who has cure by default (definitely Panelo, I think maybe Fran as well)

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing for the first time and my sisters has just joined my party and I am running around looking for sunstones...

I set her to be a white mage (I read here that healers are super necessary) and my main guy is a Monk, does anyone have any tips for a super beginner?

Thanks

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
There's some sliders for the volume of Music,Sound effects and Voice.
Are you on pc ? There's risk I'm being a supreme dummy but they're nowhere i can see.
4fDyTD6.jpeg

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
You can find those sliders in the in-game config menu.

I had screencaps of menu and pause menu prepped but after seeing your post i rechecked and found it finally. They're under the New Game loadout but still apply to a game already in progress. That's just super obtuse and weird and thus I still proclaim myself innocent from being a dummy !

Thanks.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland

I had screencaps of menu and pause menu prepped but after seeing your post i rechecked and found it finally. They're under the New Game loadout but still apply to a game already in progress. That's just super obtuse and weird and thus I still proclaim myself innocent from being a dummy !

Thanks.

You can also go to 'Config' in the in-game menu.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks.

lol,dont sweat it,the dumb questions I have asked on this forum are numerous ;) and also,I was talking about the XBox version,I see you are on PC but yeah on Xbox,its inside the game menu in config. ;)

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Not the pause menu, the one with all the character info
when you're in game and roaming, press triangle/Y/R key and choose "config".

this is basic menu navigation they'll teach you in the tutorial. Be patient with the game, thank you!
Load your game and once inside,open the config menu(Y button on a XBox controller) its at the bottom.

Maybe this is why I don't get jrpgs. They're simply too smart for the ol' senile me !

Got it now, again, thanks for the help @all.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
I was going through the prison area where you have to kill monsters that suck the power on the wiring of electricity and all of a sudden,Zombies and Ghost kept appearing like every 4 steps I took...? what caused this, ? is it because I was backtracking or something...? also on the way to Rabanastre,in the desert,there was an ennemy 10 times stronger the the wolves and all the others,I noticed too late he had an extra icon over his head,probably meaning he is a random Elite ? anyway he killed my whole party,even with a Guest on tow lol...got to watch out for those from now on.

Really enjoying it so far though.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I was going through the prison area where you have to kill monsters that suck the power on the wiring of electricity and all of a sudden,Zombies and Ghost kept appearing like every 4 steps I took...? what caused this, ? is it because back tacking or something...? also on the way to Rabanastre,in the desert,there was an ennemy 10 times stronger the the wolves and all the others,I noticed to late he had an extra icon over his head,probably meaning he is a random Elite ? anyway he killed my whole party,even with a Guest on tow lol...got to watch out for those from now on.

Really enjoying it so far though.
There was a cutscene telling you that letting the electricity run low makes ghosts and zombies appear so you had to keep it high by killing the mimics sucking on electricity.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Why do classes like Machinist and Samurai have so many board slots for increased MP when they have no abilities that use MP?

And it seems like black Mage has barely any that increase MP..

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say although I am liking the game,the license board thing isnt my favorite..I thought accessory 2 would give me another actual slot,not just better stuff to put in there,that I dont have for now...also why is accessory 1 still available when I got 2 and 3...I just dont get some parts of it,for example I went the way to unlock Cura on my Red Battlemage but I still cant use it because its nowhere to be bought.The game seems pretty hard as well,I died a bunch of times in the Mines on the way to finding Penelo,like whats up with exploding tiles all over in there...

Gambits are a little complicated as well so for now,until I fully set them right,I am doing everything manually.Only 3 party members is also disappointing(although so far,theres almost always a Guest at least)...

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I have to say although I am liking the game,the license board thing isnt my favorite..I thought accessory 2 would give me another actual slot,not just better stuff to put in there,that I dont have for now...also why is accessory 1 still available when I got 2 and 3...I just dont get some parts of it,for example I went the way to unlock Cura on my Red Battlemage but I still cant use it because its nowhere to be bought.The game seems pretty hard as well,I died a bunch of times in the Mines on the way to finding Penelo,like whats up with exploding tiles all over in there...

Gambits are a little complicated as well so for now,until I fully set them right,I am doing everything manually.Only 3 party members is also disappointing(although so far,theres almost always a Guest at least)...

As explained earlier, gear is gated by story progress so check back in with every vendor after major story beats. The reason there is no second accessory slot is because some of them are extremely powerful and it has to be a give and take. Status effects can be brutal on optional fights in this game and accessories play a huge role in that.

Also, Don't bother advancing too far into a licence grid unless it's to unlock very specific upgrades like HP or battle Lore. Or things like MP regen on attacking/getting hit. Something useful you can benefit from now. It's smart to hoard LP points and not spend them all, so that when it comes time to upgrade at a shop and you see something new, you can quickly hop into the grid and buy the licence for it right then without finding your short...again.

Also, what you are looking for is the Libra technique. Set a gambit at the bottom of their list to have one person cast it on themselves whenever it falls off. It shows you traps on the field, and for non bosses, their HP and weaknesses.

I don't get very complicated with gambits until halfway through the game. The basic attack what the party leaders is hitting, use magic or specific skills when something is flying type, heal below a certain amount, heal everyone after a fight is over so I'm automatically topped for the next one etc. Fine details in fights I always micro manage myself, like when shit hits the fa

Honestly, I would follow a guide if your having trouble. There is an amazing one from jegged.com that I use that was critical for me enjoying the game because I fucking hate missing anything or stumbling into stuff I absolutely am not geared or leveled for, which can happen alot in this game. There are a few money making spots that are amazing to take advantage of so you can keep up to date on gear for instance.

Last edited:

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
As explained earlier, gear is gated by story progress so check back in with every vendor after major story beats. The reason there is no second accessory slot is because some of them are extremely powerful and it has to be a give and take. Status effects can be brutal on optional fights in this game and accessories play a huge role in that.

Also, Don't bother advancing too far into a licence grid unless it's to unlock very specific upgrades like HP or battle Lore. Or things like MP regen on attacking/getting hit. Something useful you can benefit from now. It's smart to hoard LP points and not spend them all, so that when it comes time to upgrade at a shop and you see something new, you can quickly hop into the grid and buy the licence for it right then without finding your short...again.

Also, what you are looking for is the Libra technique. Set a gambit at the bottom of their list to have one person cast it on themselves whenever it falls off. It shows you traps on the field, and for non bosses, their HP and weaknesses.

I don't get very complicated with gambits until halfway through the game. The basic attack what the party leaders is hitting, use magic or specific skills when something is flying type, heal below a certain amount, heal everyone after a fight is over so I'm automatically topped for the next one etc. Fine details in fights I always micro manage myself, like when shit hits the fa

Honestly, I would follow a guide if your having trouble. There is an amazing one from jegged.com that I use that was critical for me enjoying the game because I fucking hate missing anything or stumbling into stuff I absolutely am not geared or leveled for, which can happen alot in this game. There are a few money making spots that are amazing to take advantage of so you can keep up to date on gear for instance.

Looking into Jegged right now,thanks for the tips.

Tight Shoe

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
got the original day 1 back when it came out on PS2. played for probably 20-30 hours and didnt really enjoy the game at all, dropped it, and forgot about it.

replaying it on Game Pass now. just got to Jahara. I think this is around where I dropped the game the first time. did a ton of grinding, so i've almost maxed out the first limit boards. probably about 1000 LP away from that. battles are a breeze, which is what i like.

but, i still dont think i like the game. 4x speed is great, but there's just so many long, long cutscenes and i simply do not care even the slightest bit about any character or anything happening in the story. i think im going to beat it just to beat it. maybe something along the way will resonate with me.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Game is hard lol...I think I will try trial mode to grind a little because I know I wont be strong enough for whats coming next...I am low on gil also,at least I got Cura going now,helped me barely survive and kill Garuda.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Juat finished it. Very much liked it. Now I am sad that FF doesnt do sequels because i fell in love with these characters.
Might play ff x when it hits gamepass. I would love to play vii, viii and ix and I have tried but that old systems just arent for me. So which other "hd" titles should I try?

I am planning to do xv royal and I have played vii remake.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Balthier is the only one with a Quickening for now and even with an explanation I am wasting it it seems when I do it...and I am fighting a Boss now(huge spoiler below) that may make me quit the game...I am really not crazy about the license and Gambit system,its too bad because I am enjoying it when I dont have to mess around with the license board lol...Apparently I have an Esper now but I have to activate it on the license board...? the game never explains that...

Vossler keeps beating me when he is down to 1/4 of his health,I think he goes Beserk or something and I need to Dispel that ?

Last edited:
Balthier is the only one with a Quickening for now and even with an explanation I am wasting it it seems when I do it...and I am fighting a Boss now(huge spoiler below) that may make me quit the game...I am really not crazy about the license and Gambit system,its too bad because I am enjoying it when I dont have to mess around with the license board lol...

Vossler keeps beating me when he is down to 1/4 of his health,I think he goes Beserk or something and I need to Dispel that ?
Legit weird that you passed the esper fight and that boss is the one giving you trouble...

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The game is good. The 4x speed is GOAT. Only complaint is I wish I could hit the shoulder button three times to toggle between normal, 2x, and 4x rather than having to switch between the latter in the menus, but it's a small inconvenience.

Balthier is the only one with a Quickening for now and even with an explanation I am wasting it it seems when I do it...and I am fighting a Boss now(huge spoiler below) that may make me quit the game...I am really not crazy about the license and Gambit system,its too bad because I am enjoying it when I dont have to mess around with the license board lol...Apparently I have an Esper now but I have to activate it on the license board...? the game never explains that...

You can Slow and Silence him, make sure you have healing gambits on.