• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Is there a way to set up gambits to check if an enemy is vulnerable to something and if they are also 50% or higher health cast the spell?
Unfortunately not. What I wouldn't give for gambits to have an optional second condition with an [and/or] toggle...

I'm finding that my mages are blowing through mana casting spells on enemies that are at like one pixel of health.
For my party members who cast offensive magic, I just have them use the Shades of Black technick on most mobs. [Foe: HP < 5,000 → Shades of Black], with high priority, works really well. Shades is extremely overpowered in Zodiac Age, letting you randomly cast almost any black magic spell in the game for free, regardless of whether you own the spell or license, with the downside being a longer cast time (the technick has to be cast, then the spell). But considering it lets you fire off any spell from the pool at any point in the game, with a 25% chance to cast extremely powerful things like Scathe or Flare — and, again, for zero MP — it's almost always worth it. It can even be used while Silenced, as Shades of Black is classified as a technick rather than magic.

Just started. Any tips?
In addition to the Shades of Black tip above: go into Trial Mode early and often. Not only is it a neat way to gauge your party's effectiveness, anything you gain from treasure chests and enemies is carried over into the main game. It's great for getting items, weapons, and even abilities potentially much earlier than you would normally. This includes anything you steal/poach from enemies. (As an example/tease: You can steal a very nice early-game weapon from the boss of Trial Mode area 10.)

Also, don't worry too much about which two jobs you choose for each character. Virtually every combination is at least a decent one (and you can freely respec them now anyway).

Have fun!

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
There is for vulnerability but is per element and I think the mage needs to be the one with libra.

Wouldn't putting a x%<=hp attack above the normal casting work?

You can just have Self=cast Libra and it'll cast it whenever it runs out. Same with any buff spells. Keep that at the top of the list.

The mage just needs Element Weak=Cast Element and it'll automatically target whatever from that point. MP<=25% use Ether or other MP recovery thing, you can do Element Vulnerable=cast whatever spell you want as a generic when no weakness is present and you're pretty much set. You can put them in any order you want but you want the generic attack spell at the bottom so it always checks for weakness first before doing that.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I started this game a short while ago and it's pretty good so far. A few thoughts:

- Normally I go straight to original Japanese audio, but set it to English dub since the localisation is well liked here. It's pretty good, though the deliveries by Balthier and Penelo are pretty flat at times. Despite seeing years of hate directed at Vaan I surprisingly don't mind him at all.
- The combat is super weird, doesn't feel good at all. I ended up enabling gambits for Vaan and just step in when somebody needs help with an item or whatever.
- The license/job system is also kinda baffling, you get party members joining you and they have no job! I've had to google every character I come across just to get an idea for what they should start with since there's no indication otherwise. The whole system kinda makes buying new gear much slower than other RPGs.
- The first town is too big, and the textures look strange up close in HD.

Overall though I guess I'm having a good time since I couldn't put it down last night. I am up to the point where we just escaped the dungeon after the castle break-in, now taking out mimics in a seemingly never ending underground tunnel. I just had to stop because it was getting too late and I had work in the morning.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

You need a reliable source of healing magic for the boss fights. There are other jobs that eventually get healing but having a caster with good magic power that can throw cura is a literal lifesaver.

Also, "dispel" feels like it's mandatory for some of the bosses, and "protect" and "shell" are also incredibly useful.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck man im so sad this doesn't have cross save. I played like 4 hours on xbox thiniking I could hop on my PC and play when the TV was in use. Sadlife for sure.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Favourite FF to me, but also the most annoying superbosses. Hellwyrm, mark12, zodiark and yiazmat are all fucking assholes that can rot in hell.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Red Battlemage also works in the beginning as it can learn Cura and Dispel, but also Time and Black magic.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm using nvidia sharpening at 35% and looks much better.

Nvidia Sharpening? What's that I've never heard of it?

Been out of the PC Gaming space for awhile!
Here is how FF12 looks with 100% nvidia sharpening (extreme variant of course)

On
486.png

Off
487.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game overall, but extremely hampered by an incredibly boring skill/spell system, and the license boards are very boring with almost no exciting unlocks to reach for.

The Gambit system itself is amazing in concept, being able to fine tune every party member and set up a group that works perfectly in unison is one of the most satisfying combat mechanics of all time, but the lack of actual fun skills/attacks/spells to use really does bring it down imo.

You can gain LP far too quickly, got to Fran's village and had already almost filled the boards for 3 of my characters (I did do a lot of side stuff, but still... not THAT much and it just felt really off putting).

I really wanted to love this game as there is so much about it that's cool.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game overall, but extremely hampered by an incredibly boring skill/spell system, and the license boards are very boring with almost no exciting unlocks to reach for.

The Gambit system itself is amazing in concept, being able to fine tune every party member and set up a group that works perfectly in unison is one of the most satisfying combat mechanics of all time, but the lack of actual fun skills/attacks/spells to use really does bring it down imo.

You can gain LP far too quickly, got to Fran's village and had already almost filled the boards for 3 of my characters (I did do a lot of side stuff, but still... not THAT much and it just felt really off putting).

Can't agree, the license board on this game was what made it so addicting to me, never got boring.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

I can't disagree much with complaints about the license board. I enjoy it, just for the sheer number of options and the ability to spec out characters as I see fit. But you sure do gain LP quickly—I had the exact same issue as you, where by the time I reached Fran's village I could steamroll virtually everything in the game. I was by that time reaching rounds in the high 80s in that combat rush mode where you can earn in-game rewards. The only thing that kept me on my toes was the virus status affliction, which really only became a pressing issue when I was rushing through at 4x speed (since I had less time to react to it).

But I still fuckin love this game. I'm torn on my opinion of the license board, since I enjoy getting that tangible reward for completing side content. But completing that side content does make the game easy very quickly. It's imperfect. But it's also really fun. I wish gambit-inspired systems were in wider use in JRPGs. It's wonderfully rewarding to get your plans right.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Can you explain why?

I've asked people this question many times and never got a proper answer.

it is one of the worst skill trees I've used, personally.

It's just fun for me I guess, hard to explain. Even in the non zodiac edition back on PS2, getting to a new quickening, unlocking the ability to use certain accesory, a new gambit slot to keep programming my teammates, etc... For some reason trying these new stuff I've unlocked felt always very satisfying in this game and something I very much looked forward to. If it helps, I was never that OP in any of my playthroughs, so I guess that could be part of why the game in general didn't get boring.

What is it that make it one of the worst skill trees? I didn't know people felt that way about it but I'm more of a casual rpg player so tbh I don't think a lot about that stuff, I just know it felt good.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's just fun for me I guess, hard to explain. Even in the non zodiac edition back on PS2, getting to a new quickening, unlocking the ability to use certain accesory, a new gambit slot to keep programming my teammates, etc... For some reason trying these new stuff I've unlocked felt always very satisfying in this game and something I very much looked forward to. If it helps, I was never that OP in any of my playthroughs, so I guess that could be part of why the game in general didn't get boring.

What is it that make it one of the worst skill trees? I didn't know people felt that way about it but I'm more of a casual rpg player so tbh I don't think a lot about that stuff, I just know it felt good.
Yeh, some things just click for people and it's hard to put into words why. Play styles, what your focus is in terms of a build etc... I can understand people could like it even if I don't get the specifics of why.

For me, like I said in my original post here, the lack of really fun to use skills/spells/attacks makes it feel dull to me. I didn't like the quickening system, i found it really drawn out. I'd much rather have had more traditional moves and attacks like in other FF games, snappier, can be used more often, etc... so hunting the board for new quickening never hooked me.

Spells in this game feel really undercooked to me, too. Small, uninteresting animations. Just never feels powerful even if the numbers are big.

Most of the board is stat increases and gear unlocks that you can't use until you find them, and I unlocked so many of those way before I did find them due to the rate of LP gain. It just felt so unrewarding to me.

I can't disagree much with complaints about the license board. I enjoy it, just for the sheer number of options and the ability to spec out characters as I see fit. But you sure do gain LP quickly—I had the exact same issue as you, where by the time I reached Fran's village I could steamroll virtually everything in the game. I was by that time reaching rounds in the high 80s in that combat rush mode where you can earn in-game rewards. The only thing that kept me on my toes was the virus status affliction, which really only became a pressing issue when I was rushing through at 4x speed (since I had less time to react to it).

But I still fuckin love this game. I'm torn on my opinion of the license board, since I enjoy getting that tangible reward for completing side content. But completing that side content does make the game easy very quickly. It's imperfect. But it's also really fun. I wish gambit-inspired systems were in wider use in JRPGs. It's wonderfully rewarding to get your plans right.
Yeh, same.

For me, if they could mix the feel of a traditional FF in terms of special moves and attacks that could make combat feel a bit more dynamic and the skill tree they use more fun/rewarding, and the Gambit system of 12, it could be a perfect FF combat system.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing this on Switch, I just beat
Doctor Cid and Famfrit
and I can't understand how can anyone have 2 full license boards for 3 characters at Fran's village point, I haven't even got 1 full on 1 character (even equipped 3 with golden amulets) and I'm almost done with the main story part of the game lol.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused about the job system.

I'm about 20 hours in, and my gunner and two melee characters (daggers and swords) don't have any real "special" abilities.

Am I supposed to switch boards for characters? Can I bring over magic abilities from one board to another?

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land

I'm about 20 hours in, and my gunner and two melee characters (daggers and swords) don't have any real "special" abilities.

Am I supposed to switch boards for characters? Can I bring over magic abilities from one board to another?
you can't switch boards until a certain point, but it's respeccing so no, you don't keep abilities from one board to another.

you do eventually get to add another board for each character.

i guess you should've chose a mage class for one of the three characters. 20 hours in you might be able to respec actually, i'm not entirely sure when that is.

oh and keep in mind you also have to buy the magic you unlock on the license board.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
you can't switch boards until a certain point, but it's respeccing so no, you don't keep abilities from one board to another.

you do eventually get to add another board for each character.

i guess you should've chose a mage class for one of the three characters. 20 hours in you might be able to respec actually, i'm not entirely sure when that is.

oh and keep in mind you also have to buy the magic you unlock on the license board.

Or find it in a chest somewhere, because (most?) abilities aren't for sale in the store.

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017
Currently playing this on Switch, I just beat *spoiler* and I can't understand how can anyone have 2 full license boards for 3 characters at Fran's village point, I haven't even got 1 full on 1 character (even equipped 3 with golden amulets) and I'm almost done with the main story part of the game lol.
You really can't unless you're grinding like mad.

Oct 25, 2017
Just started it. I don't get the battle system. Is the idea that you just queue up the right action? Does placement of your character matter a lot? Will there be a tutorial in-game?

How's the overworld compared to a game like FFIX? What about towns?

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Just started it. I don't get the battle system. Is the idea that you just queue up the right action? Does placement of your character matter a lot? Will there be a tutorial in-game?

How's the overworld compared to a game like FFIX? What about towns?

Yeah the battle system opens up as you get more gambits and assign them to your party members depending on what jobs you chose for them and such. Positioning does not matter. Also yes the game has several towns and a open-zone overworld.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Just started. Any tips?

Look up a FFXII gambit guide, or setup guide. This will give you some reference points and ideas as to how to set up gambits within your party, which is necessary IMO to fully enjoy the game. Remember that the list is in order of priority (so things at the top of the list are acted on first, and then it goes down the list as conditions are met). Having the right gambits between the right characters is a lot of fun. Like having one character with high MP auto cast hate on your mage. Or having one character throw oil, and the other follow up with fire for max damage. There are a lot of things you can set up. You need to buy gambits from a store (there are a lot, but you only need to buy the ones you'll need). It's a good idea to work towards earning extra gambit slots on the license board. I think having between 6 or 8 per character is a nice goal to shoot for.

The gunner's "special ability" is that they can fall back from battle (and avoid melee attacks), whilst pelting the enemy from afar. 😄 It's a positional / strategical role more than anything. They can play support too with buffs and other spells.

That's because the game isn't really about special abilities or cool unlocks. The game is about managing a strategy and building a team that outputs maximum damage together. It's like playing a game of chess. You already know what you're working with, now you have to figure out how you'll use the pieces. I love this game because it gets progressively harder (especially some of the later dungeons), and having a well-rounded, flexible strategy, is a must. But it's also frustrating in how little it communicates to the player in how it should be played.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's because the game isn't really about special abilities or cool unlocks. The game is about managing a strategy and building a team that outputs maximum damage together. It's like playing a game of chess. You already know what you're working with, now you have to figure out how you'll use the pieces. I love this game because it gets progressively harder (especially some of the later dungeons), and having a well-rounded, flexible strategy, is a must. But it's also frustrating in how little it communicates to the player in how it should be played.
These things are not mutually exclusive, though. I fully understood what it was doing, and how to do it, I just think the system is a bit dull overall as hardly any of the attacks and spells are interesting.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I'm very thankful this game does not have "unique attacks" or "special moves" beyond the quickenings (which are very easy to ignore) because it keeps the game feeling much more grounded and less "anime." Scathe is plenty exciting, as is hitting a really high combo attack with a katana.

It's incredibly "fun" to me to set up a gambit using things like telekinesis or Sight Unseeing and having them go off correctly, reinforcing my strategy decisions.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at total choice paralysis on what to pick for my secondary boards for each character.

Can someone give me advice on what the best secondary jobs are for my current party:

Machinist
Shikari
Black Mage
Knight
Red Battlemage
White Mage

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Just started. Any tips?

When you get some extra money buy as many gambits as you can (For example HP<30%, Enemy HP 100%, etc). They will give you alot of options in combat as you progress through the game.

I also like to put buffs at the end of the gambit list , i believe its something like Self: Cast protect, and if theres no enemies around your character will automatically cast protect on himself so you don't have to manually do it, its very satisfying.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
This has some really good suggestions

A Quick Guide to Jobs - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

For Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "A Quick Guide to Jobs".

Personally I went with Vaan - Knight, Basch - Monk, Ashe - Red Battlemage and got me though the whole game.
What does he mean by "With the ability to change jobs now the standard across all versions of Zodiac Age"?

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
I'd also recommend getting the thief gloves and make a gambit with steal because early in the game money is scarce imo.