• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nester

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just got through a chat with Square Enix support and they were able to help me recover my old PlayOnline ID with an old email and old house address attached to it and link it to a current Square Enix account. I'm kind of excited for the Return Home campaign, might upgrade and sub if I'm feeling it again.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many upgrades my Mythic weapon would need to be current, and if my stash of about 50 million gil would cover the upgrades.

It was at i119 when RoV was out and I completed it.

Special (Teaser) Site

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
This week, in "old games aren't dead news", Square Enix's seminal 2002 PS2 MMORPG, Final Fantasy XI Online is receiving its first story content in five years.
Teaser's up
www.playonline.com

FINAL FANTASY XI - The Voracious Resurgence

A long-awaited new storyline comes to Vana'diel!

The disclaimers at the bottom might suggest that this isn't on the same scale as abyssea or the 3 mini-expansions. But it's significant enough to create a key visual.

Oct 25, 2017
Game does not have the code to allow free trials I would say. They have to deal with a 2003 framework alas
they did have 7 day trials back a decade ago (I know as I tried the game out that way), but I believe they were abused as they had no chat limitations. I also think you had to manually contact support to set it up? I might be mistaken on that though.

(Which basically just proves your point lol)

Oct 25, 2017
I just canceled my sub a couple months ago after continuously having it for about 7 years.
I think I'll just wait for it all to be out before I hop back in.
Got i119 gear to finish RoV.
That's probably good enough for story content. I'll just let better players carry me through any hard bosses lol.
I really hope it doesn't require better gear than that.

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Teaser's up
www.playonline.com

FINAL FANTASY XI - The Voracious Resurgence

A long-awaited new storyline comes to Vana'diel!

The disclaimers at the bottom might suggest that this isn't on the same scale as abyssea or the 3 mini-expansions. But it's significant enough to create a key visual.
OGP_EN.jpg

Oh! Is that an actual new Keyart? And a title treatment? Huh.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could never get PlayOnline to work when I bought the Ultimate edition a few months back. It was such a shame, I've always wanted to give it a try, especially knowing it's still being supported to an extent.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly the "robed" individuals are Ascians and this is a long in the works FFXIV connection.

/s

But could you imagine tho?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I could never get PlayOnline to work when I bought the Ultimate edition a few months back. It was such a shame, I've always wanted to give it a try, especially knowing it's still being supported to an extent.

Do you remember what your issue was? Did you try this install guide?

Cant believe this is still going on.

Funny how XIV gets a F2P deal with some of its content before this one.
Game does not have the code to allow free trials I would say. They have to deal with a 2003 framework alas
they did have 7 day trials back a decade ago (I know as I tried the game out that way), but I believe they were abused as they had no chat limitations. I also think you had to manually contact support to set it up? I might be mistaken on that though.

(Which basically just proves your point lol)

There is a free trial, though? A somewhat restrictive 14-day free trial, but I made use of it when I came back earlier in the year.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
Man, i wish i kept playing. I have dreams of going back. I played from US launch until late 2009. Such an amazing experience and great people.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you remember what your issue was? Did you try this install guide?

There is a free trial, though? A somewhat restrictive 14-day free trial, but I made use of it when I came back earlier in the year.
I'm not sure if I used that specific guide, but I definitely used one when I initially tried. I don't remember the exact details of my issues since I think this was back in February, but if I remember right I think I had connected my SquareEnix ID to my PlayOnline or something along those lines but whenever I would enter my login credentials into PlayOnline, it would continually tell me my password was wrong no matter how many times I double checked or reset the password.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I used that specific guide, but I definitely used one when I initially tried. I don't remember the exact details of my issues since I think this was back in February, but if I remember right I think I had connected my SquareEnix ID to my PlayOnline or something along those lines but whenever I would enter my login credentials into PlayOnline, it would continually tell me my password was wrong no matter how many times I double checked or reset the password.

I had the same issue at first. Your Square Enix account info and your PlayOnline info are not the same; the former is something you create, while the latter is given to you by SE, I believe via email. (Your POL info will also be saved in POL if you want, so you'll never have to remember it.)

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
Clearly the "robed" individuals are Ascians and this is a long in the works FFXIV connection.

/s

But could you imagine tho?

I dont know anything about FFXI but could Vana'diel be
A shard of the Source?

God, I hope not. FFXI can stand on its own merits as a unique, mainline Final Fantasy game.

Keep that shared-universe shit to FFXIV, where everything's already devolved into a thick, primordial soup of anachronisms and crossovers.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know anything about FFXI but could Vana'diel be
A shard of the Source?

No. Even if there was a connection it would be more in line with how other FF games do cross overs (big multiverse thing).

There is already 1 FF11 character that does (as of this post) still live in the FF14 world, Iroha, but nothing of her circumstance suggests anything to do with the shards and more general weird teleportation shit.

So if there was ever going to be any larger cross-over stuff eventually, it would be more in line with that.

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
No. Even if there was a connection it would be more in line with how other FF games do cross overs (big multiverse thing).

There is already 1 FF11 character that does (as of this post) still live in the FF14 world, Iroha, but nothing of her circumstance suggests anything to do with the shards and more general weird teleportation shit.
Also, Shantotto just casually hops into Hydaelyn at will, but that's just Shantotto's power being completely broken.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Man, i wish i kept playing. I have dreams of going back. I played from US launch until late 2009. Such an amazing experience and great people.

They have Return Home campaigns I think at least twice a year or so? I usually tend to hop back if I have time during these times just to run around in game.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had the same issue at first. Your Square Enix account info and your PlayOnline info are not the same; the former is something you create, while the latter is given to you by SE, I believe via email. (Your POL info will also be saved in POL if you want, so you'll never have to remember it.)
Hm, well I honestly don't remember, I believed that I had PlayInline info separately at the time even when the password issue happened, but it's been too long and my memory is pretty awful. I may buy it once more when it's on sale next time and try again.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about The Ygnas Directive.
Rhapsodies of Vanadiel was the last major storyline content added. Ygnas was part of the Records of Eminence post-Adoulin challenges if I remember right. And RoV was designed very specifically to NOT be gated by lots of stuff, if you hadn't finished the part of the story it was talking about, it would add extra missions to introduce you to the important characters from that part.

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
1_o.png

More of the key art.
main_ja_pc.png

The japanese title is interesting too, being 蝕世のエンブリオ, something akin to "Embryo of the Eclipse Era".

Feb 5, 2018
I'd love to play this (never had), but it looks overwhelming. I understand that there is a ton of streamlining and you can pretty much solo the game, but just scared to try. Is there any decent guides out there to set me up and take me through the whole experience?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Mar 18, 2020
I'd love to play this (never had), but it looks overwhelming. I understand that there is a ton of streamlining and you can pretty much solo the game, but just scared to try. Is there any decent guides out there to set me up and take me through the whole experience?

With the slew of QoL improvements and the AI partners you can have as party members, it's actually a pretty chill experience. The only thing that really stands out as horribly dated/inconvenient is the map, but it's fun to explore environments and there's actually a sense of danger that XIV lacks entirely.

Feb 5, 2018
Absolutely:

I linked both a trial download and an installation guide above, too.
With the slew of QoL improvements and the AI partners you can have as party members, it's actually a pretty chill experience. The only thing that really stands out as horribly dated/inconvenient is the map, but it's fun to explore environments and there's actually a sense of danger that XIV lacks entirely.

Thank you both kindly!!!!

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
I played "better" MMOs (eg: WoW) before I started playing FFXI, but damn if it didn't suck me into a vortex with its archaic BS and hit me hard. No MMO has given me the feeling that getting to Sky or Sea for the first time did. Quit when Abyssea was announced, came back for a while after it was done (didn't really wanna do the gear grind for 75-99 while it was on-going given how slow paced everything in FFXI is), quit when a LS mate used me to help make an Empyrean weapon, came back again a few years ago but just didn't have the motivation for it. But I'm still tempted...

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I made a new character a few years back but I hadn't done much of any story on them. Even on my old character from launch I did maybe half of the original story and that's it. It just always seemed like such a grind. I guess it'd be faster now with Trusts being a thing, but how viable is it to get through all the story these days? Like how long would that take?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I made a new character a few years back but I hadn't done much of any story on them. Even on my old character from launch I did maybe half of the original story and that's it. It just always seemed like such a grind. I guess it'd be faster now with Trusts being a thing, but how viable is it to get through all the story these days? Like how long would that take?

You can solo it all with trusts, yes, although I believe a couple late RoV fights might need you to be certain jobs to succeed with minimal gear.

If you really wanted to plow through all the story, I've heard of people doing it all inside of a month.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds weird, lol, but I'm down. I'm on the last mission of RoV just need to go do it.

No FFXIV stuff please.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
You can solo it all with trusts, yes, although I believe a couple late RoV fights might need you to be certain jobs to succeed with minimal gear.

If you really wanted to plow through all the story, I've heard of people doing it all inside of a month.

That sounds like the exact kind of bad idea I'd get halfway through. Can't wait.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Rhapsodies of Vanadiel was the last major storyline content added. Ygnas was part of the Records of Eminence post-Adoulin challenges if I remember right. And RoV was designed very specifically to NOT be gated by lots of stuff, if you hadn't finished the part of the story it was talking about, it would add extra missions to introduce you to the important characters from that part.
The ROV finale came in November of 2015 https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/49065-Nov-10-2015-(JST)-Version-Update

The Ygnas Directive was introduced in June of 2016 https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/50760-Jun.-7-2016-(JST)-Version-Update

I guess we can argue about whether or not the Ygnas Directive counts as 'significant story content' but that's not terribly interesting. I was establishing a baseline for 'this is what Square adds as story to the game these days.' Very tiny quests have otherwise been added that reward mounts or trusts but those are more one and done affairs and it doesn't look like this new stuff will be that.

I never claimed that ROV was gated by a brutal grind. There are some bumps in the road however (imprimatur cooldowns blocking Adoulin missions, etc).

Oct 25, 2017
The ROV finale came in November of 2015 https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/49065-Nov-10-2015-(JST)-Version-Update

The Ygnas Directive was introduced in June of 2016 https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/50760-Jun.-7-2016-(JST)-Version-Update

I guess we can argue about whether or not the Ygnas Directive counts as 'significant story content' but that's not terribly interesting. I was establishing a baseline for 'this is what Square adds as story to the game these days.' Very tiny quests have otherwise been added that reward mounts or trusts but those are more one and done affairs and it doesn't look like this new stuff will be that.

I never claimed that ROV was gated by a brutal grind. There are some bumps in the road however (imprimatur cooldowns blocking Adoulin missions, etc).

Geeze, that's some pretty steep gating for the Ygnas Directive.
I've done most of the requirements except for the coalition stuff I think.
I also have one quest with a battle that requires protecting an NPC that I never managed to win, and another quest that I think is bugged because it won't spawn even though I did all the requirements.

I kinda wanna do it myself since I went through the trouble of doing all the Wildskeeper reives and almost all of the quests already.
Even finished the Mog Garden.
Might just watch it on youtube though. Wouldn't be the first time. lol

mgrimble2

Aug 21, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
This is insane haha. I remember skipping class in High School to play this game on my PS2 at my buddies place while he played on PC. Staying up until 5am hunting Leaping Lizzy.

I fell off 15 years ago and it's STILL going!?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to pick up the game. It's $10 right now, and I've been kind of interested in seeing what the first FF MMO was like. Can't quite get the game running right for some reason. There's a lot of slowdown; I think the game's defaulting to my integrated graphics instead of my GTX 1060, and I can't figure out how to change that, even by setting pol.exe to use it in the Nvidia control panel.

But regardless of that, it's extremely cool that the game is still being kept alive by SE, with them going as far as adding new content. I don't know how long I'll stick to it, but I'm excited to finally see what the game's like, even if it's certainly going to feel old-school (obviously).

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I've not quite finished 2-1 yet, but this part mentions hominculi, and the first part has the mysterious Raebrimm being likely born from an egg. My guess is that someone is trying to resurrect the Shadow Lord and Raebrimm is a vessel created in the image of the original shadowlord.

I'm still hoping this voracious resurgence is a lead in to some kind of reboot/remaster...or maybe even an expansion. They did mention this was leading in to the 20th anniversary in 2020. Maybe XI R is happening and this will lead into that. Who knows.

EDIT: Oh! And one of the rewards is an item that gives 10 Job points and is described as a small boost to potential. So I think future parts will give items that give a bigger boost and more job points. Why is this important? Because to me this screams 'getting people up to speed for...something'.