• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
How many times I played those first 5 hours because we didn't have memory cards.

Still the greatest game ever. I still remember watching the cinematics and being like "Wow, how do adults do this". I hope I don't forget the memories of playing it when I'm old. I learnt a lot from it.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager ā€¢ EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Oh man, I remember the debates and deep-dives into the battle system I was having back on GameFAQS, good times.

Endless research into Break HP Limit and why it's not needed at all šŸ˜„

Happy to nerd out on it any time, just ping me in a thread.

Last edited:

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Going into it afer the PS1 trilogy was a bit mind blowing.

Voice acting!? VOICE ACTING?!?

It was such a huge leap.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
23e.gif
Yup

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Not my favorite FF game, but its a great game and i sure miss this kind of FF. Probably its a good time to do a new playthrough.

Dragmire

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Here's to one of FF's best
IlliterateHandmadeGharial-size_restricted.gif

Hope to live long enough to see the Remake

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This was a legitimately great game from start to finish.

But these OPs about how much time has passed from great shit need to stop.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This game is great but it's held back by the cringe and dated gameplay outside battles. Still love it.

But no it's not 20 years old you're tripping

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Fuck me, still remember getting it in the morning and just skipping school for that day

Feels like a couple of lifetimes ago

Jul 7, 2021
The last "traditional" Final Fantasy, and the highlight thereof. Beautiful and very moving game. I'm really happy that the game got a remaster, one which I've owned on several platforms now.

2001 in general was a special time and the year I decided to get a PlayStation 2, despite clinging to the great Dreamcast. Didn't want to miss out on Grand Theft Auto III, Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, and of course...this game.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
The first ever FF game I played and what I associate the PS2 with overall, incredible journey and an unmatched atmosphere.
Just the Zanarkand opening and the main menu was enough to leave a massive impression.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I played through it earlier this year and enjoyed every second of it. For a game that's 20 years old, it shocked me how modern it felt. The dynamic camera angles, the battle system, and sphere grid could come out of any recent game. The Glyph sphere puzzles were bullshit, however. I needed to reference a guide more than once just to get through them. And while I think the dub is generally fine, the lack of lipsyncing really hurts the cutscenes, IMO.

But everyone should play this game. The story is great, and music once in a lifetime. I'm really glad people still look back on this one fondly.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Hey, at least it hasn't been 1000 years, right?

One of my top three Final Fantasy titles, such a bold and confident step forward for the series after looking back on its legacy through FFIX. I really loved seeing such different locales and designs and still appreciate Kitase's dedication to exploring fantasy from a less Eurocentric lens.

Confident is the right word. In hindsight, it's crazy how creative, daring and confident both 9 and 10 were, as a 1-2 punch of "the best of the old" and then a new direction for Final Fantasy on next-gen hardware that was also creatively a huge departure.

I remember Square announcing FF9, 10 and 11 at the same event, with this bold multi- year plan for the future of Final Fantasy.
That Square, man, was just on fire.
I don't know if companies nowadays still have the sheer balls for something like this.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember looking through an issue of PSM and seeing the news about IX, X and XI. The screenshot of X blew me away. It was a grainy shot of Tidus running across the Calm Lands. Love that game.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I think I still have that EGM magazine (I think late '99 or early 2000) that featured screenshots of FFX and some info about FF XI online. This was during the whole PS2 hype cycle.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
One of my favorites in the series with one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. Love it to death despite its flaws. Just listen to this, it's scientifically proven to make your day better:

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My first ever Final Fantasy. Got it for my 12th birthday in March '02. I will forever cherish this game, dumb laugh & all. And the soundtrack is A+++ tier.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I played through this gem of a game during my very first holiday at University...god damn I'm old ;(

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Easily one of if not my favorite Final Fantasy, and also one of the best soundtracks in gaming (along with Morrowind and Xenoblade). Also one of my favorite stories in gaming. Just an amazing game all around.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Screenshot_20210718-141116_Amazon_Shopping.jpg

Wow! What a perfect day to get these delivered I guess. I never played FFX because it came out when I was..5. I played the demo but never the full game. Then I never gave the game a fair chance cause of Spoony's old review clouding my judgment on the game. Now I'm gonna go and give it a fair, open minded try. Like it just came out for the first time!

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Its the complete package IMO with the only issues being too much Seymour and some restrictive exploration in the first half of the game.

Top 3 FF.