• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Wanting to cross post this because this remaster is no joke and at the price point we got it at:

So posting his from Katelyn Gadd, a coding wizard, regarding this port and what magic it took to even get it working:

nontwitter:

Katelyn Gadd
@antumbral

"poorly done" is an interesting way to describe "someone took an ancient win32 hackjob port of a PS1 game and not only ported it to new consoles but did a bunch of hacks on it to swap in new models/textures and do a bunch of other stuff"

Katelyn Gadd
@antumbral

·
Sep 6

Replying to
@antumbral
some context for how i feel about this: I worked on a similar remaster and even *with* source code and much of the original assets it was a huge amount of work. getting it to run at all took months w/multiple programmers. actually improving the graphics took way more.

Katelyn Gadd
@antumbral

·
Sep 6

getting the original graphics code to work was weeks, then i had to partially rewrite it 3 times (once for each platform) including entirely separate shaders. my first vita one was entirely thrown out because it ended up being too slow, so that's 4 rewrites

Katelyn Gadd
@antumbral

·
Sep 6

then players expect (totally reasonably) things like high-res meshes + textures, good lighting/shadowing, updated aspect ratio, etc - for content that wasn't designed to handle any of that. we literally had to invent some new graphics techniques.

Katelyn Gadd
@antumbral

·
Sep 6

in this case it's not a romhack, they took the old x86/win32 PC version and found a way to port it to other platforms like ARM and x86-64 without using the source code. needless to say that is An Undertaking and not something that is usually done

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
b7e4a47fdd31a37c180edea482f2a347804d9315.jpg

9a6e499bcade60f508ebd5d2a69950f22810850c.jpg

I think you are selling the original models just a bit short...

4530.png

4532.png

4540.png

4542.png

4538.png

4536.png

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Alright just tried out Angelo Search. The turtapod defense + confuse method still works still and I got my first Search which gave a mega phoenix down. Second Search gave a Hi Potion+

Be careful about doing this trick with Gilga. It can appear at any point in battle and kill the turtapod.
I think you are selling the original models just a bit short...

4530.png

4532.png

4540.png

4542.png

4538.png

4536.png
What you just posted is battle models. What Meowster posted was field models.

Also those are not the original models.

This is the original PS1 model:
ue84j8X.jpg

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Figured they were ripped PS1 models using Noesis, though I wasn't sure about the field/battle difference, though I recognize the background so I should have known.

Hard finding reference shots, but they are still zoomed in at the most unflattering of angles.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
to be honest I do like this more, better hair, prefer the way the eyes/facial expression read

I'm also fine with pixelated/low res stuff
The thing is the battle models always looked better than the field models since they didn't have the same kind of issues and anyway the problem is Mute was posting battle models and trying to compare them to field models posted by Meowster while also not even posting the original model.

I do think the expression is better but the angles can make this model look much worse. Like the image below messes the hair up and face looks really bad.

NGf5WRw.jpg

but either way I do still wish Squalls model was a little bit more accurate. His Remaster battle model looks pretty damn good but his field model imo is noticeably worse.

Figured they were ripped PS1 models using Noesis, though I wasn't sure about the field/battle difference, though I recognize the background so I should have known.

Hard finding reference shots, but they are still zoomed in at the most unflattering of angles.
It's not a matter of just being zoomed in. This was the major issue with both the original and PC version models. There was a lot of points where the models faces would get completely squished and parts of the character would warp and become severly jagged. This happened A LOT.

Look at how awful this shot looks(Remaster fixes it except for ass staring lol) with Zells legs becoming twigs and his waist looks like it barely holds his box shorts, Rinoa's arms are super thin, Quistis is staring at a wall because she took Squalls advice to seriously, etc.
Final-Fantasy-VIII-final-fantasy-34559469-640-480.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
6 Angelo Searches in past 15 minutes but no Chocobo World items yet. I guess my luck is just worse than the other people who did it.
I actually really like that shot of Squall's face lol
I hate it lmao

I don't like how the hair becomes flatter(the frontal spike is gone from the first angle) and his face suddenly becomes way softer. It's similar to Remaster issue of making him look younger which clases with CG. I also felt compared to the rest of the models on PS1 his was the one they really messed up. Squished face, poorly modeled hair.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is the battle models always looked better than the field models since they didn't have the same kind of issues and anyway the problem is Mute was posting battle models and trying to compare them to field models posted by Meowster while also not even posting the original model.

I do think the expression is better but the angles can make this model look much worse. Like the image below messes the hair up and face looks really bad.

NGf5WRw.jpg

but either way I do still wish Squalls model was a little bit more accurate. His Remaster battle model looks pretty damn good but his field model imo is noticeably worse.

It's not a matter of just being zoomed in. This was the major issue with both the original and PC version models. There was a lot of points where the models faces would get completely squished and parts of the character would warp and become severly jagged. This happened A LOT.

Look at how awful this shot looks(Remaster fixes it except for ass staring lol) with Zells legs becoming twigs and his waist looks like it barely holds his box shorts, Rinoa's arms are super thin, Quistis is staring at a wall because she took Squalls advice to seriously, etc.
Final-Fantasy-VIII-final-fantasy-34559469-640-480.jpg
That shot of Squall looks great lol.

And yeah, the remaster fixes a lot of body model issues but my dislike has more to do with certain faces than the bodies. Squall and Quistis especially. Selphie, Irvine, Rinoa look ok. Zell looks a bit younger.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
That shot of Squall looks great lol.

And yeah, the remaster fixes a lot of body model issues but my dislike has more to do with certain faces than the bodies. Squall and Quistis especially. Selphie, Irvine, Rinoa look ok. Zell looks a bit younger.
I really dislike that side angle but to each their own. He looks like he has an underbite and the softer features make him look way more feminine IMO Plus I don't like that his hair looks different from a side angle. It seems inconsistent since thats all from the same limit break shot.

Trust me when I say that despite the remaster models looking gorgeous, I'm still very disappointed Squall doesn't resemble his CG art. Quistis looks perfect so I'm surprised you dislike her new model. If anything I would argue Rinoa has more facial issues since she doesn't resemble her CG either.

With that said, having the models completely fixed so there isn't any messed up faces and proportions is a great thing. I'm sure people can mod a better Squall design since I know some are already working on it. I just hope it doesn't end up resembling that hideous HD mod.

I just hope one day we could get something with the PS2 tech demo models. It's the only attempt that ever matched the CG.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Wanting to cross post this because this remaster is no joke and at the price point we got it at:

So posting his from Katelyn Gadd, a coding wizard, regarding this port and what magic it took to even get it working:

nontwitter:

Listen, no port job of an older game is "easy." I can't fault the developers for the shitty hand they were dealt with his job, but at the end of the day the port is a piece of fucking shit like all the other PS1-era FF ports. I blame the people at the top making the decision to skimp on these projects more than the actual devs trying to make things work.

I still can't believe Square never saved original assets or source code for these games that had HUGE budgets at the time and were developed with the goal of pushing the medium forward.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Quistis looks perfect so I'm surprised you dislike her new model.
I'm being super nitpicky but I really don't like her new come hither eyes. Squall's also loose something by gaining so much detail, when they were darker before, but I don't know how you reproduce that look with the higher polycount other than shading it all away.

My attempts to locate/do some screenshots of my own of the original are going nowhere. I cannot locate my original saves and that is mildly disturbing. Will try another day.

I still can't believe Square never saved original assets or source code for these games that had HUGE budgets at the time and were developed with the goal of pushing the medium forward.
I'm extremely curious to know how much disk space a backup would take up, compared to today's drive sizes X_X

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda like Irvine's face (or the idea of it better) in the original game. Not that it is bad. <_<

Quistis, Zell, and Selphie are great improvements. Rinoa is good. Squall is well done but it just looks like a different character than the one in the CG videos.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Because meticulous backups weren't commonplace and storage was very expensive. The idea of rereleasing games like this was more or less unheard of. You're chastising them for not predicting the future. They had no idea they'd need it, and if you read the Twitter thread above, you'd know that even then code/assets from 20+ years ago would barely work with anything.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
You have to be thankful that Square released PC versions of Final Fantasy VII and VIII at all back in the day because otherwise, we all probably would have been screwed. I still don't quite get what happened with IX - that was the exception and they saved the source code or they still had assets for it or w/e?

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Listen, no port job of an older game is "easy." I can't fault the developers for the shitty hand they were dealt with his job, but at the end of the day the port is a piece of fucking shitlike all the other PS1-era FF ports. I blame the people at the top making the decision to skimp on these projects more than the actual devs trying to make things work.
LOL what bs.

Completely redone models for all characters/NPCs/Bosses/GF and some enemies. Boosters that speed up tedious parts. Redone TT cards(though this one looks kind of bad taking a modders work) and available on all current generation platforms. Also Trophies being added.

FMVs are cleaned up, music is PS1 and sounds even better. The backgrounds are touched up but the blur filter is the issue.

I'm being super nitpicky but I really don't like her new come hither eyes. Squall's also loose something by gaining so much detail, when they were darker before, but I don't know how you reproduce that look with the higher polycount other than shading it all away.
I still don't get that from Quistis but again I agree Squall gets affected by the hair not being correct and the face being more anime like. The thing I noticed most with the face is the mouth and eyebrows aren't accurate. Legs are also a bit thinner.

My attempts to locate/do some screenshots of my own of the original are going nowhere. I cannot locate my original saves and that is mildly disturbing. Will try another day.
There is plenty of playthroughs on youtube if you want shots for comparison. I can link you a speed run.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
My luck for Chocobo World items is not good. It's been an hour and the rarest item I found is a combat king.

Give me Moomba and Moogle Angelo. ; ;
I kinda feel like just playing this on Vita. Am I nuts? I'm worried the backgrounds will look bad on Switch.
If you really prefer the pixelated characters and backgrounds then go for it. I can't speak for how it looks on Switch since I haven't started a playthrough on it yet but I heard some people say it looks quite good undocked. One positive for PS1(or Vita in your case) is the original plays smoother and I think you can experience less crashes.

Deleted member 59854

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 8, 2019
My luck for Chocobo World items is not good. It's been an hour and the rarest item I found is a combat king.
Give me Moomba and Moogle Angelo. ; ;
Oh, ah...I guess this is my fault for bringing it up. Forget I said anything! Not that it would be much more fun to do this on PocketStation. If it's any consolation, the last time I tried to achieve a perfect game for any game was second playthrough of VIII years ago, with all cards and weapons and limits...except somehow no Power Generator would ever drop for Quistis. Never again.

Meanwhile, Square-Enix Japan's customer support just wrote back regarding The Landing. They're aware of it on the developer side (perhaps this means Dotemu) and will be working on it to fix it in an update, with info on the official website.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, ah...I guess this is my fault for bringing it up. Forget I said anything! Not that it would be much more fun to do this on PocketStation. If it's any consolation, the last time I tried to achieve a perfect game for any game was second playthrough of VIII years ago, with all cards and weapons and limits...except somehow no Power Generator would ever drop for Quistis. Never again.

Meanwhile, Square-Enix Japan's customer support just wrote back regarding The Landing. They're aware of it on the developer side (perhaps this means Dotemu) and will be working on it to fix it in an update, with info on the official website.
Haha don't worry i just got reminded to test it out since I was always planning to.

That is good you got a response! Someone else received one too but it was asking for more information even though it said a lot of people were reporting the issue. I hope we see an update soon!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Can someone tell me where i can find a Triple Triad opponent that doesn't have way better cards than you? Jesus fucking christ
At what point in the game are you? You get Ifrit almost right away, you can get Diablos not longer after that before you leave for Timber. Once you have those two cards, challenge the running guy in Balamb Garden for Mini-Mog. From there challenge the Headmaster for Seifer, Zell's mom for Zell and Trepie #1 in the Cafeteria for Quistis. That should be enough cards to carry you, easily.

Oct 31, 2017
At what point in the game are you? You get Ifrit almost right away, you can get Diablos not longer after that before you leave for Timber. Once you have those two cards, challenge the running guy in Balamb Garden for Mini-Mog. From there challenge the Headmaster for Seifer, Zell's mom for Zell and Trepie #1 in the Cafeteria for Quistis. That should be enough cards to carry you, easily.

I just got Ifrit but yeah it's not enough for anyone in Balamb. Guess i'll start after i get Diablos, thanks!!

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Platinum'd it on its 20 year anniversary. Almost brings a tear to my eye. 18 hours, played almost entirely on 3x Speed as the FPS during combat is abysmal.

VIII is not my favorite FF, not even in my top 5, and replaying the remaster doesn't change that. What it does offer is an experience that no other game in the series offers, with the best mini-game of the lot and interesting mechanics.

Still not a fan of the story, though.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I actually think I prefer the older models in the sense that while they're less than perfect, obviously, they sort of fit the 'mood', style and era of the game more. Rather than the model updates, what would've been interesting would perhaps have been for them to take the battle models and use them also in the field - the field models are lower poly, and those are the ones that people tend to post pictures of with the fucked up faces etc. The field model is the genesis of the "you're the best looking guy here" meme. The battle models have something about them though - an energy of the era - that I prefer to the clean, HD models.

I dunno what it is. it's hard to put my finger on. Maybe they could've cleaned those models up with HD texture work and some extra polys for smoothing it out, which is what they did with FF9. Either way, FF9's 'new models' feel a lot more 'cohesive' with the rest of the game than the new FF8 models, I guess. I imagine the new models would feel more fitting if we had properly high res backgrounds and stuff, but as we know that stuff is all lost and is impossible.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright that's a wrap on both the first remaster playthrough and on the plat for PS4. Final Fantasy VIII man, I just can't get enough of this damn game. The pinnacle of Squaresoft's storytelling craft, it is just SO dense with little details, symbols, suggestions, implications that all tie everything almost obsessively into its worldbuilding and themes. I stayed up too late finishing the platinum otherwise I might write a larger post now discussing some of the things I only noticed for the first time on this playthrough, but I'll get some sleep first.

What a masterpiece, that ending gets me every time. It is actually a perfect ending, hell I'd even go so far as to say basically the entirety of Disc 4 is perfect. It astounds me every time just how fantastic the final dungeon and final bosses are. Oh and yea Wazzy I agree that the remastered character and enemy models look especially impressive in the final few fights and in-game cutscenes, it breathes new life into scenes and battles that were already powerful in their original form.

It is true that over the years I've spent a lot of time discussing FFVIII with people who often don't really care for the game. I think when I was younger it did come more from a position of wanting to defend it per se, since it gets raked over the coals online a lot. Now though it comes more from a place of just hoping others can end up loving the game as much as I do, it's just such an experience and one that truly reveals new nuances and depth the more you dig into it. And I think it's great that now the remaster's QoL features have made enjoying the game's storytelling chops more palatable for people who don't necessarily click with the core gameplay and progression systems.

I haven't kept up with the last few pages of the thread because I was busy just playing the game, but now that I'm done I'll catch up, I hope you all have been enjoying it either as a replay or for the first time.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like just playing this on Vita. Am I nuts? I'm worried the backgrounds will look bad on Switch.
Definitely do that. This port is worse than the original in terms of presentation, just like the FF7 and FF9 re-releases before it.

Vita and/or emulation are certainly the best ways to experience this game. Switch version doesn't even come close.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
I do prefer the older models (and I wish there was an option to switch between models in this release, but that might be too much to ask for), but I'm happy that I can finally play one of my favorite games of all time on an Xbox and that people who have never had the chance to play the game can now play easily

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Definitely do that. This port is worse than the original in terms of presentation, just like the FF7 and FF9 re-releases before it.

Vita and/or emulation are certainly the best ways to experience this game. Switch version doesn't even come close.

I appreciate you confirming this. PS1 games just look phenomenal on Vita in general, and I'd prefer the original models/crisp backgrounds to what's offered in the remaster. Cool.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Guys I had an amazing revelation I just had to share here. This is General Caraway. Rinoas father. He sent laguna away to get him out of the picture

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Alright that's a wrap on both the first remaster playthrough and on the plat for PS4. Final Fantasy VIII man, I just can't get enough of this damn game. The pinnacle of Squaresoft's storytelling craft, it is just SO dense with little details, symbols, suggestions, implications that all tie everything almost obsessively into its worldbuilding and themes. I stayed up too late finishing the platinum otherwise I might write a larger post now discussing some of the things I only noticed for the first time on this playthrough, but I'll get some sleep first.

What a masterpiece, that ending gets me every time. It is actually a perfect ending, hell I'd even go so far as to say basically the entirety of Disc 4 is perfect. It astounds me every time just how fantastic the final dungeon and final bosses are. Oh and yea Wazzy I agree that the remastered character and enemy models look especially impressive in the final few fights and in-game cutscenes, it breathes new life into scenes and battles that were already powerful in their original form.

It is true that over the years I've spent a lot of time discussing FFVIII with people who often don't really care for the game. I think when I was younger it did come more from a position of wanting to defend it per se, since it gets raked over the coals online a lot. Now though it comes more from a place of just hoping others can end up loving the game as much as I do, it's just such an experience and one that truly reveals new nuances and depth the more you dig into it. And I think it's great that now the remaster's QoL features have made enjoying the game's storytelling chops more palatable for people who don't necessarily click with the core gameplay and progression systems.

I haven't kept up with the last few pages of the thread because I was busy just playing the game, but now that I'm done I'll catch up, I hope you all have been enjoying it either as a replay or for the first time.
Gratz on the Plat!!!

The entire final dungeon is so amazing to re-experience with updated models. I almost went back and beat it all again just to look at them all haha. Thankfully I'll end up doing it on Steam and PC. Getting to watch that ending again on PS4 was an amazing experience and will feel even bigger on Switch considering it being the first time on Nintendo platforms.

I actually think I prefer the older models in the sense that while they're less than perfect, obviously, they sort of fit the 'mood', style and era of the game more. Rather than the model updates, what would've been interesting would perhaps have been for them to take the battle models and use them also in the field - the field models are lower poly, and those are the ones that people tend to post pictures of with the fucked up faces etc. The field model is the genesis of the "you're the best looking guy here" meme. The battle models have something about them though - an energy of the era - that I prefer to the clean, HD models.

I dunno what it is. it's hard to put my finger on. Maybe they could've cleaned those models up with HD texture work and some extra polys for smoothing it out, which is what they did with FF9. Either way, FF9's 'new models' feel a lot more 'cohesive' with the rest of the game than the new FF8 models, I guess. I imagine the new models would feel more fitting if we had properly high res backgrounds and stuff, but as we know that stuff is all lost and is impossible.
I think there is aspects of the original models that are preferable such as having a more grounded style to fit the aesthetic of the game but that doesn't apply to all battle models. Zell, Seifer, Selphie, Fujin, Laguna, Kiros, Ward and Edea all had great looking models then and even better ones now. Rinoa never looked bad but it also didn't resemble her CG artwork at all. Irvine, Raijin and Quistis did not look good and are the most notable improvements even if Quistis has a more clashing style. I actually think Irvine nails the original CG artwork. Squall will always be a mixe bag for me. Some aspects of his model look better such as making his pants more baggy and his build more masculine which matches the military vibe better. Things like his face really bother me in the original model since his eyes are so squinted you can't see much and his mouth looks bad compared to others.

With Remaster comparisons aside, I think the upgrade you're looking for is one that I also wanted but understand is not realistic with a Remaster. The obvious model jump that would please everyone(well maybe not people who like the hideous Dissidia Squall) is this:
1849.jpg

but the only way something like this would have happened is a remake and at this point I doubt they'll allow one in this style with VIIR having the style to follow.

Guys I had an amazing revaluation I just had to share here. This is General Caraway. Rinoas father. He sent laguna away to get him out of the picture

This is now CANON.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kind of surprised at how funny this game is. FF games generally have a number of comedic moments but I tend to find that they fall flat, either due to stilted writing or rough voice acting, and yet the comedy is landing pretty consistently for me here.

I totally lost it when Rinoa just booted Irvine down the stairs when he saves you during the prison escape sequence.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Just got to Fisherman's Horizon on disc 2 and I'm really enjoying it. But I forgot how mundane the end of disc 1 and start of disc 2 is. Yeah the scenes in Deling City are awesome, but the Tomb of the Unknown King, the Deling City Sewers and then the Galbadia Prison are some of the most dull and uninspired dungeon designs in the series, particularly the 3D games. They are all literally copy paste... I'm glad to be past that section as it did make me question 'why am I playing this game again?'. But I'm glad I persisted as I'm really enjoying it again since leaving the prison as the story really picks up then.

It's the first time I've played it since 2011 and although there are some parts of it I love, it's again reminded me why I don't consider this a top tier FF game. Apart from the music, it's flawed to some extent in pretty much every area, however it's one of those games where it still all comes together into something brilliant. It makes me wish they had another 12 months developing this game as so much of it could have been ironed out, especially all over the place the game play balance.

My weird but ultimately good relationship with this game continues. :)

Last edited:

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
He supported Julia when Laguna left and encouraged her to pursue her music career. He also clearly loves Rinoa but is overly protective and makes decisions that benefit only them and no one else.
Laguna "left" because Caraway sent him off. Sure, that was Laguna's job and all. But that image doesn't exactly show he had the best of intentions there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel kinda awful considering him sending laguna to Cetra is also the cause for ward losing his voice.

Tbh general Caraway is kind of a garbage person.

Edit: Also he was pretty terrible to her during the sorceress assassination mission.
I don't think anything indicates Caraway is a bad person lol

He supported Julia when Laguna left and encouraged her to pursue her music career. He also clearly loves Rinoa but is overly protective and makes decisions that benefit only them and no one else.

Yup!

Oh fuuuck. I didn't even remember she was Rinoa's mom. I feel sick and so sorry for Laguna and her.
Why would you feel bad?
Laguna meets Raine soon after and falls in love.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
During the Laguna sequences I spent too much time going "wtf is this, let get get back" and "this battle music!" when I should have been paying a lot more attention to what people were saying.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Laguna "left" because Caraway sent him off. Sure, that was Laguna's job and all. But that image doesn't exactly show he had the best of intentions there.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anything indicates Caraway is a bad person lol

Yup!

Why would you feel bad?
Laguna meets Raine soon after and falls in love.

My memory is like a sieve, that's why. I just remembered who is Laguna's son....

Julia's daughter + Laguna's son, fuck.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Er...I think your image is hilarious but it's not actually true that soldier is Caraway unless you have something saying it is.