• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So i've had no problem abolishing card rules throughout the game but now in Trabia all of a sudden I can't seem to pick up rules anymore to abolish those ones. Everywhere I go tells me to just play cards rather than mixing, why is this? For reference, Balamb, Dollet and FH all have slightly different rules so I should've been able to pick something up from there.

Ok, it managed to let me pick up FH's rules but no matter how many times I load at the Shumi Village, it always spreads Sudden Death instead of abolishing random/plus. any tips here?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm still torn about which version to get:
PC: it works fine in Proton, will "always" be available to me since it's on Steam
PS4: I might be more likely to just pick it up and play it, though going forward there's a possibility that any system beyond PS5 may not be BC with PS4 games. Bonus is that I have multiple PS4s.
Switch: portability. Same potential issues as the PS4 version, and I don't usually play my Switch portable plus my wife plays stuff on it sometimes, so it may not be available when I want to play it.

alternative: stick to my PSone version(s) and just deal.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still torn about which version to get:
PC: it works fine in Proton, will "always" be available to me since it's on Steam
PS4: I might be more likely to just pick it up and play it, though going forward there's a possibility that any system beyond PS5 may not be BC with PS4 games. Bonus is that I have multiple PS4s.
Switch: portability. Same potential issues as the PS4 version, and I don't usually play my Switch portable plus my wife plays stuff on it sometimes, so it may not be available when I want to play it.

alternative: stick to my PSone version(s) and just deal.
I would say go with PC version if BC is a concern and if you want the option to mod backgrounds in at some point.

I'm playing it again on Steam right now and so far I preferred playing on PS4.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm legit probably gonna get it for all three. <_<

PS4 - trophies
PC - mods
Switch - can play while at conferences

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe it took me until this playthrough to realise Seifer
got his dream as a knight and Gunblade stance from Laguna's movie

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
People asking for tips to abolish Plus rule, smh. It's the best rule, especially when you turn the tables on people with it

Random and no open rule can go to hell however.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Actually I think I remember reading that before but still. There's all sorts of little plot points like this in this game where you have to put the pieces together yourself.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I think that was confirmed in a guidebook, but it's such a cool element to Seifer's character.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think that was confirmed in a guidebook, but it's such a cool element to Seifer's character.
You know that Seifer keeps taking out the Sorceress Knight books from the library and everything else becomes obvious since the stance and victory pose are the exact same.
His victory pose is also from that! It was always one of my favourite realizations.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I would say go with PC version if BC is a concern and if you want the option to mod backgrounds in at some point.

I'm playing it again on Steam right now and so far I preferred playing on PS4.

Ps4 version is awful looking to me.

Reshade is a must and it's making my experience that much more enjoyable. Whenever I'm checking out a console stream it's cringe city.

I've been playing the PC version and the game is still a lot of fun. The remaster is kind of so-so but hopefully mods are going to fix it up.

Use reshade for visuals.

Mods are not gonna fix anything since you can't mod analog controls etc...

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017

This is brilliant. I played the game 20 years ago and my only recollection of Seifer was of an asshole. Now, I'm replaying and seeing all these nuances to the character, and I think it's really well executed. Maybe I didn't have the maturity back then to read this character. (I was also not as proficient in English back then. I remember asking my mother what "Beam Cannon" meant...)

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I spent the entire first disc carefully curating the rules and getting things to my liking, but now I just finished FH and I'm slowly staring to lose control of the rules. I think I spread Sudden Death around a bit, which doesn't seem so bad tbh, it doesn't really interfere with the actual TT gameplay. But I also can't seem to get rid of direct in Balamb Garden now. I did manage to switch it back to One on one of my reloads/mixes with FH rules, but then a few games later it went back to direct. It's making the CC quest really annoying. Might just not play any games in Balamb for a while until I can get a bit of a better grip on rule manipulation.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Ps4 version is awful looking to me.

Reshade is a must and it's making my experience that much more enjoyable. Whenever I'm checking out a console stream it's cringe city.

Use reshade for visuals.

Mods are not gonna fix anything since you can't mod analog controls etc...
I don't mean visuals. Obviously with reshading PC looks way better.

The difference I'm experiencing is how smooth the game feels and plays. I found less slow downs in the PS4 version when controlling the field model. Example, I had a massive slowdown happen in the dormitory hall that wouldn't go away on PC and a few walking around the halls of the first floor. PS4 had a minor slowdown for outside the library and training center entrances.

I will say Squalls Renzokuken felt smoother on PC especially with x3 boost.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It cannot be overstated how fucking trash the 8-way movement feels.

Can't believe that made such a boneheaded mistake.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Made a save point just before that scene lol.

In hindsight I should have made a save point right before a bunch of scenes.
I sang it in the school talent show in 8th grade. I'm pretty sure I sucked ass. But they had us make posters for our act and I decorated it with FF8 fanart (found on the Internet) and shit.

At least it wasn't as bad as the two girls who sang a song from the Sailor Moon dub soundtrack CD.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think it was a mistake, it sounds like it isn't fixable. It is at its worst during the world map, I can't stay on the road at all.
I should say other than that grievance, really like the port a lot. The background NPCs is a non issue for the most part, and whilst I would love the backgrounds touched up too, everything else looks damn sharp.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I cannot fucking believe this MIDI music glitch bullshit. I thought I was going nuts when I started hearing it. Ffs.

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
People asking for tips to abolish Plus rule, smh. It's the best rule, especially when you turn the tables on people with it

Random and no open rule can go to hell however.

The real boss of the game is
Edea in her cards game.
Bitch slays with all the rules in place.
By the way my whole game I've been playing cards in private and still haven't managed to bring the open rule back.

I'm on disc 3, and here's a couple of bugs I've come across:

The old fisherman showed up at the end of the shumi quest when I haven't done the FH quest IN MY LIFE (I had to look it up on youtube).

I got dark matter by refining 100 cursed spikes from the trifaces at Ggarden. Obviously without having Siren at level 100.

I got the midi arrival track everyone's been talking about both times it plays up to disc 2.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
So someone has to ask, hows this play via vita remote play? I'll be away from my ps4 for two weeks but i'd love to get some time in with it if possible while on the road.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot fucking believe this MIDI music glitch bullshit. I thought I was going nuts when I started hearing it. Ffs.
Ruins the best sequence in the game (battle of gardens)

Sounds like farts.
Hey just as a heads up some people have reported issues to Dotemu who said they would pass them onto SE.

They do respond in english but if anyone wants to write about the Landing music issue in French you can either copy this tweet or retweet it tagging them.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Hey just as a heads up some people have reported issues to Dotemu who said they would pass them onto SE.

They do respond in english but if anyone wants to write about the Landing music issue in French you can either copy this tweet or retweet it tagging them.

I just read up about it and it seems they've likely been hammered enough.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean visuals. Obviously with reshading PC looks way better.

The difference I'm experiencing is how smooth the game feels and plays. I found less slow downs in the PS4 version when controlling the field model. Example, I had a massive slowdown happen in the dormitory hall that wouldn't go away on PC and a few walking around the halls of the first floor. PS4 had a minor slowdown for outside the library and training center entrances.

I will say Squalls Renzokuken felt smoother on PC especially with x3 boost.

Doesn't renzokuken stops the x3 temporarily ?

Hah I haven't experienced slowdowns on PC yet. I do have issues with controls where I zig zag sometimes it triggers me a lot =( .

Actually I did have slowdowns in x3 ironically but not in regular mode ! (But I have like 60 tabs open on chrome for some stuff i'm working on so that might be a reason :p )

I just read up about it and it seems they've likely been hammered enough.

I don't think Garden is translated in the french version ahaha.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Lmao
Eyes on Me is a blocked scene and 3x is also blocked.

<3

JASRAC is all-powerful.

The artists rights for songs and the way they're treated in media is way more of a thing there. See also that KH3 trailer that felt like somebody forgot to add the sound effects to because the Hikaru Utada song had to be presented without interference.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, it managed to let me pick up FH's rules but no matter how many times I load at the Shumi Village, it always spreads Sudden Death instead of abolishing random/plus. any tips here?

You need to manipulate the rng. If you do the exact same thing every time you'll get the same outcome. The easiest way to manipulate the rng is by inspecting draw points.

So someone has to ask, hows this play via vita remote play? I'll be away from my ps4 for two weeks but i'd love to get some time in with it if possible while on the road.

It plays perfectly! The touchscreen is used for boosters and running away. Had no issues.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bleh! Been trying that rosetta stone trick at the prison and I swear I got one on my first attempt and haven't had anything but potions since. Ain't worth it! Not today Diablos!!

Deleted member 53268

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I just want to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy VIII!
So, what about a special battle with Seifer Fujin and Raijin against Omega Koyokoyo?
Enjoy!

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII moved up in the Eshop best sellers! The game is now the second best seller currently moving from number 7 initially and then quickly going to 4 and 3.

I believe it's the same for US and EU shops. I'm also sure it's selling incredibly well on PS4. I think Steam version is going to suffer from all the pathetic review bombing but it still might end up doing okay.

a5fa198129f7d70e38132748cd0b6b1d9d639830.gif

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It sure has been a long week but I got the FFVIII platinum! First time completing the game and I surprised myself by how much I didn't know about the story within the game.

I figured Laguna being Squall's father would be revealed but unless that's side info then I was shocked during the credits when I was like "hang on a second."

Plus people saying that Edea's Corpse outfit in Dissidia was a massive spoiler so I kept waiting to see that Ultimecia had been posing as Edea the entire time.

Seifer's quest for power and the flip flopping of sides had me thinking he was under a spell (because of how fast it happened) but turns out he's just a dick.

And how Irving, Quistis, Selphie, and Zell having like almost nothing to do the entire game was weird

But I'm so glad that VIII is now crossed off my list! That's WoFF, Type-0, Dissidia NT, 7 (and Crisis Core), 8, 9, 10, 12, 13 (13-2 and LR), and 15 done.

Edit: forgot to say thanks to everyone who helped me out last week!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the really understated scenes I love about Seifer is when Squall comes back after his SeeD approval, and he's the first to start clapping. That, and the bizarre camaraderie he and Squall share during the mission, is one of the first signs that there's more to Seifer.

I think that's why I like FFVIII so much. The characters and world are a lot more subdued than the bombastic and emotional games that surround it, and it's a little harder to get a grip on who they are.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
It sure has been a long week but I got the FFVIII platinum! First time completing the game and I surprised myself by how much I didn't know about the story within the game.

I figured Laguna being Squall's father would be revealed but unless that's side info then I was shocked during the credits when I was like "hang on a second."

Plus people saying that Edea's Corpse outfit in Dissidia was a massive spoiler so I kept waiting to see that Ultimecia had been posing as Edea the entire time.

Seifer's quest for power and the flip flopping of sides had me thinking he was under a spell (because of how fast it happened) but turns out he's just a dick.

And how Irving, Quistis, Selphie, and Zell having like almost nothing to do the entire game was weird

But I'm so glad that VIII is now crossed off my list! That's WoFF, Type-0, Dissidia NT, 7 (and Crisis Core), 8, 9, 10, 12, 13 (13-2 and LR), and 15 done.

Edit: forgot to say thanks to everyone who helped me out last week!
In regards to Seifer:

He was manipulated by Ultimecia. Not all of his actions are because of that but as the game goes on he becomes more desperate and thinks he can't turn back after all he did. We know this because in Timber he is clearly not wanting to join her but suddenly starts behaving weird and leaves with her.

His story is actually my second favorite in the game. I just wish the 4th disc featured more.

BuT ThE OrIgInAL LOOks bETTer!!!!

Squalls mouth always kills me.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone yet done Angelo Search. How tedious is it to get the Chocobo World items like RIbbon? Also, does Boko only do Chocofire?

Deleted member 59854

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 8, 2019
I think it's always important for multiple people to say something so that they treat the issue seriously and resolve it faster.
Indeed. No harm in presenting the issue clearly and politely. I did the same for the Japanese support and the US twitter for good measure. We'll see what they come back with on the former...most likely, getting in touch with Dotemu as per above.

Now that the Pocketstation game is out, do people get the Moomba and Moogle summon items much via Angelo Search?

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. No harm in presenting the issue clearly and politely. I did the same for the Japanese support and the US twitter for good measure. We'll see what they come back with on the former...most likely, getting in touch with Dotemu as per above.

Now that the Pocketstation game is out, do people get the Moomba and Moogle summon items much via Angelo Search?
Yup you acquire the items by using Angelo Search. I haven't tested the drop rate yet but I've seen others already get the items.

There is supposed to be a good trick for using Angelo Search. You need to fight turtapods.
I loved his original :3 face.
I always found it funny and felt like his face ended up busted compared to the others xD

His :3 mouth is pretty great. Especially when his next would be jagged so his face looked pissed off about it.

Last edited: