• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Ricky

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, trying Omega Weapon at level 60odd didn't seem to be a good idea, had no trouble with the rest of the game, so figured I'd be ok.

Just that left, 1000 kills and finish the game for Plat for me. Now, if I could just get Selphie to learn The End...
I fought him at level 58 and died a few times. I just made sure Squall had his HP and Str maxed. I used Hero to avoid the 1 hit kill attack. I just need 1k kills, 100 draw points and to finish the game and I'll have that plat.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
Hot Take: Summons shouldn't have even existed in this game. They are solely a crutch and allow players to go through the game not really getting to know the real mechanics. And then probably dying to
Adel
or some other late game boss because they just relied on GFs all the time early on.

that's the exact issue i experienced as a kid. i must have tried fighting adel 100 times before giving up and never going back to the game.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I promised I wasn't going to make myself OP this run yet here I am right after dollet mission with 2000 health and 40 attack stat.

Also I really don't see how people cant figure out the junction system. There's like a billion unskippable tutorials at the beginning of this game explaining it to you.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Is it when you rescue the 2 children in the classroom ? Make sure to talk to the Seed who is with them, they will then automatically leave the scene.

Wazzy I ran through this scene again last night and it was...just fine? Yesterday I could talk to that SeeD member, and she would give me a line, but she wouldn't stand up and take the classmen away. Tried again this morning after starting the app from scratch and it worked as intended. Gonna have to make a few more saves to cycle through aha. Switch version. Aside from this weird thing, been enjoying my favourite game for the who-knows-how-many-th time. :)

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I'm not clear on. How exactly do you get the materials you need for weapon upgrades?

Is it just drops from Monsters or through refining?

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Wait so you don't actually have to do the full Chocobo Quest or Queen of Cards quest to get all the achievements do you?

Kind of sick of save scumming the Queen <_>

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Did I encounter a bug or just miss something?

Whats up with the organ in Ultimecias Castle not showing all of the buttons in the PS4 remaster? I want the Rosetta Stone behind the floodgate, and it's only showing the face buttons (Triangle, X/Cross, Circle, Square). The L1/L2, and R1/R2 buttons do not even show as a possible option to press.

You normally hit all of the buttons at once once and the gates open. I never had this issue on the PS1/PSP versions.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Am I remembering right in the PS1 version when you were boosting a GF that the red X would flicker a bit before it shows up?

Otherwise, on the way to timber. Beat Diablos first try which I'm not sure I've done before. Going to try this Queen of Cards shenanigans next.

Last edited:

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, trying Omega Weapon at level 60odd didn't seem to be a good idea, had no trouble with the rest of the game, so figured I'd be ok.

Just that left, 1000 kills and finish the game for Plat for me. Now, if I could just get Selphie to learn The End...

I read somewhere that she's more likely to use it if she's in a critical condition and other party members are dead. I've also seen a video where she cast it against Omega having 1 hp and the other party members being petrified.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think the music will be fixed and probably any other reported bugs will get smoothed out.

I also don't see backgrounds getting updated(and I'm still okay with it since I had no issue ignoring the contrast) but it would be neat if they did. I still think Steam will be the best option for people that don't want to play with the Remasters backgrounds.

I don't see Analog Controls or Rumble ever getting patched in but I do wonder if it is at all possible to get it done.
Wonder if they'll update the menus to run at a higher frame rate. I knew something was off, now I know why.

But then again, that issue has been there since VII's release years ago, making Tifa & Cait Sith a hassle to use. So while patching it isn't impossible, I'm not getting my hopes up

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the impressions I've encountered are incorrect, apparently the PC version of this is somehow somewhat lesser in some ways when compared to the 2013 Steam release? I know it might be soon to ask, but has there been any fixes or mods that fix issues like the FPS of the menus and lack of analog control?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Unless the impressions I've encountered are incorrect, apparently the PC version of this is somehow somewhat lesser in some ways when compared to the 2013 Steam release? I know it might be soon to ask, but has there been any fixes or mods that fix issues like the FPS of the menus and lack of analog control?
No, this is better than the 2013 release, all the issues in this one were already in that one as well. That is why people aren't optimistic about getting analog back, for example, and the 2013 release had menus capped at 15FPS as well.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I think I fucked up the card rules in almost every city lol

Is there a guide to reset it or abolish Random/Plus/Sudden Death in remaster?

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
35 hours later and my 100% perfect file is complete. All GFs/Cards/Best junction setup/low levels/all side quests including the misc ones like the shadow lake NPC.

I just need my 1000 kills for the Plat.... So close yet so far away.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
20 years ago we got to experience
x9FtREi.gif

and now with this Remaster we get to do it again and looking better than ever!

Happy NA 20th Anniversay Final Fantasy VIII!

4Y2t9hJ.gif

Didn't this launch 20 years ago today in America? I remember the release being 9/9/99. If so, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
It sure is!

KBLZqvZ.gif

One thing I'm not clear on. How exactly do you get the materials you need for weapon upgrades?

Is it just drops from Monsters or through refining?
Monsters all have item drops that can be acquired either by killing them or stealing. The items between both options can differ and what drops is dependent on enemy level.

The other option is refine abilities such as Card Mod which turns Triple Triad cards into items that can either be converted into spells or used for other purposes like remodeling/teaching GF abilities/Stat bonus

Last edited:

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I tried that just now and the result is "Plus has now spread in the entire region" lmao
For Dollet, I had to use this comment by the OP of the video: If the Queen of Cards is in Dollet then do everything in this video (spread open, save in the hotel and reset the RNG by quiting) then follow these steps Once you load back into the game. Head outside to the town square and immediately walk back inside the hotel. (This is actually necessary, yes, and it's based on grounds of manipulating the game's random number generator to finally favor you). Challenge the girl in the hotel to a game of cards twice, but decline both times. Challenge the girl a third time and accept the challenge. Quit the game as soon as it starts.

This one worked.

The RNG trickery in getting The Queen to go from Balamb to Dollet (and also Dollet to Balamb) from the GameFAQs source works though.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
It was already answered but I want to elaborate because it's obvious the whole review bombing by Steam users is spreading false information.

The 2013 Steam release had many bugs that ended up requiring SE to patch fixes in. It doesn't use the PS1 soundtrack so you have to listen to horrid midi soundtrack that completely ruins the feeling of the game. The backgrounds are not upscaled like they should be and everything that is an issue in the current release(15FPS battle) all happens in this too plus you have to deal with the busted models in PC.

If you'll notice, the first thing they tell people to do is add mods to fix like half the PC issues which is so ridiculous to suggest as a better version when you have to fix all models, music and backgrounds.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
For Dollet, I had to use this comment by the OP of the video: If the Queen of Cards is in Dollet then do everything in this video (spread open, save in the hotel and reset the RNG by quiting) then follow these steps Once you load back into the game. Head outside to the town square and immediately walk back inside the hotel. (This is actually necessary, yes, and it's based on grounds of manipulating the game's random number generator to finally favor you). Challenge the girl in the hotel to a game of cards twice, but decline both times. Challenge the girl a third time and accept the challenge. Quit the game as soon as it starts.

This one worked.

The RNG trickery in getting The Queen to go from Balamb to Dollet (and also Dollet to Balamb) from the GameFAQs source works though.

This worked for me. Thanks man.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Those midi themes from the 2013 release were just terrible, completely awful, I installed the music restoration mod asap.

How are they gonna butcher one of the greatest soundtracks in gaming history like that? I get that it was just a repackaged version of the 2000 PC version but ffs.

This worked for me. Thanks man.
Glad to hear it, I'll always help my fellow SeeDs destroy the tyranny of the Random rule (the true villain of the game).

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steam users review bombing the remaster are fucking morons. So instead of getting the remaster and modding one or two issues, you're going to buy a significantly worse version of the game that has the same issues AND MORE just to end up modding four or five things. Like, how fucking stupid do you have to be?

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Few questions I can't remember the answers to:

For Tonberry's Call Shop ability, do I have to have visited the shop before to get it to appear? Or do they just automatically populate?

Queen of Cards quest: do I have to lose the specific card to her in Dollet, or is it good enough if she moves to Dollet after losing it?

Quezacoatl card: is it the Mayor or Flo who carries it? I could have sworn it was Flo, but either I'm wrong or RNG really hates me

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Steam users review bombing the remaster are fucking morons. So instead of getting the remaster and modding one or two issues, you're going to buy a significantly worse version of the game that has the same issues AND MORE just to end up modding four or five things. Like, how fucking stupid do you have to be?
I think many of those people maybe own a previous PC release that they have modded.

And yeah, I could see if that is you maybe the latest release doesn't hold as much value as it were to someone coming in having never played it.

I have the PC version of the game since who knows how long ago but there isn't a ton of reason for me to upgrade. I will happily pick it up on the Switch though, because portability and that is the platform that is the most convenient for me to play right now.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

For Tonberry's Call Shop ability, do I have to have visited the shop before to get it to appear? Or do they just automatically populate?

Queen of Cards quest: do I have to lose the specific card to her in Dollet, or is it good enough if she moves to Dollet after losing it?

Quezacoatl card: is it the Mayor or Flo who carries it? I could have sworn it was Flo, but either I'm wrong or RNG really hates me
Yeah you need to make sure you visit the shop at least once in order for the ability to remember it.

You can lose the card to her in Balamb IIRC since I remember people saying you can grab the Kiros card if you do it early enough.

Dobe has the card and Flo has Irvine(Queen of Cards)
I think many of those people maybe own a previous PC release that they have modded.

And yeah, I could see if that is you maybe the latest release doesn't hold as much value as it were to someone coming in having never played it.

I have the PC version of the game since who knows how long ago but there isn't a ton of reason for me to upgrade. I will happily pick it up on the Switch though, because portability and that is the platform that is the most convenient for me to play right now.
The problem is these people are suggesting it to anyone interested in playing the Remaster when the 2013 version is inferior in every single way.

If you need to mod half the issues out then it's ridiculous to suggest it over the Remaster.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017

Regarding the Queen, you can lose cards to her earlier than she suggests but she won't give them to her dad until you give her the one she asks for first. I gave her my Sacred card first and she kept it until I gave her MiniMog. When she got MiniMog, she had two separate statements saying "MiniMog will help my father make a new card" and "Sacred will help my father make a new card." So they can stack but it won't be acknowledged unless you do them in order iirc.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I almost forgot how much I enjoy the moments when secret main heroine Quistis drags Rinoa lol.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Flo has Irvine(Queen of Cards)

That must be why I was so convinced she had a card. Thanks

Regarding the Queen, you can lose cards to her earlier than she suggests but she won't give them to her dad until you give her the one she asks for first. I gave her my Sacred card first and she kept it until I gave her MiniMog. When she got MiniMog, she had two separate statements saying "MiniMog will help my father make a new card" and "Sacred will help my father make a new card." So they can stack but it won't be acknowledged unless you do them in order iirc.

I knew order mattered, but I didn't know they stacked like that. I'll have to keep that in mind

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it even secret when the moment(only one AFAIK) happens in your face and then like 5 minutes later Quistis acts so dumb it makes her original call out look stupid?

Thinking_Face_Emoji_large.png

No I meant Quistis is secretly the main heroine. No disrespect intended toward Rinoa stans, of course. :p

Edit: And I just got to that dumb part you were referring to. Yeah that... wasn't a very responsible decision lol.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is these people are suggesting it to anyone interested in playing the Remaster when the 2013 version is inferior in every single way.

If you need to mod half the issues out then it's ridiculous to suggest it over the Remaster.
There is this part of me that understands/blindly hopes that there are "important people's" eyeballs on this release watching to see how good it does and that if it does well, somehow/somewhen in the future there may be more awesome FF8-related stuff created because of it. That part of me will override just about any other opinion I have and make me happily suggest that people pick up this release, for the future's sake.

But put that aside and ask me in a vacuum which way do I think people should play this game? I'm probably not suggesting this one.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
No I meant Quistis is secretly the main heroine. No disrespect intended toward Rinoa stans, of course. :p
Okay that makes more sense rereading it with this in mind LOL

Quistis is great so no hate from me and she is definitely a King but doesn't quite reach Queen status like Rinoa does. :D
There is this part of me that understands/blindly hopes that there are "important people's" eyeballs on this release watching to see how good it does and that if it does well, somehow/somewhen in the future there may be more awesome FF8-related stuff created because of it. That part of me will override just about any other opinion I have and make me happily suggest that people pick up this release, for the future's sake.

But put that aside and ask me in a vacuum which way do I think people should play this game? I'm probably not suggesting this one.
What version would you even recommend then? There is only two and one of them has the same issues AND more.

If you recommend PS1 you'll need to think about who and why you're suggesting that to. Can they access the original easily? Can they tolerate the pixelated graphics and backgrounds? Can they ignore the UI and speed of the game?

Edit: To give an example of what you would be suggesting when playing PS1 version:

Last edited:

Asian Oni

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to me because I've never experienced the game on Playstation, I only ever played the original PC version. Even though I knew something was up with certain sounds. The correct Quetzacoatl summon sound sounds so wrong to me.
Did I encounter a bug or just miss something?

Whats up with the organ in Ultimecias Castle not showing all of the buttons in the PS4 remaster? I want the Rosetta Stone behind the floodgate, and it's only showing the face buttons (Triangle, X/Cross, Circle, Square). The L1/L2, and R1/R2 buttons do not even show as a possible option to press.

You normally hit all of the buttons at once once and the gates open. I never had this issue on the PS1/PSP versions.
It still works even with only 4 buttons. Though I had to retry several times because it wasn't fully opened at first.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know. As much as I bitched at first when I've barely played it, these new models MAKE this remaster for me. Being more proportioned and detailed really helps sell the animations as the characters emote and interact. It feels new again and I love that. I'm a bad fan in admitting that I never completed a replaythrough because I had newer, prettier (and shorter) games calling for my attention. But this is like my imagination of the game visualized.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Unless you have a working PS1, PS3, PSP, or Vita, which I imagine most people don't have anymore, there really are only two options - 2013 on Steam and the recent port for all systems. The choice is very obvious imho.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to hear it, I'll always help my fellow SeeDs destroy the tyranny of the Random rule (the true villain of the game).

In his post in that forum, do you know what he meant on this ?

I think that's all I have. Once you have the Ragnarok, you can always go to the Tomb of the Unknown King, save there, reset, and use the draw point next to it to advance the RNG however many times you need.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So i've had no problem abolishing card rules throughout the game but now in Trabia all of a sudden I can't seem to pick up rules anymore to abolish those ones. Everywhere I go tells me to just play cards rather than mixing, why is this? For reference, Balamb, Dollet and FH all have slightly different rules so I should've been able to pick something up from there.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
In his post in that forum, do you know what he meant on this ?

I think that's all I have. Once you have the Ragnarok, you can always go to the Tomb of the Unknown King, save there, reset, and use the draw point next to it to advance the RNG however many times you need.

I'm not entirely sure but I think opening up the draw points and cancelling multiple times will change the RNG every time.

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to me because I've never experienced the game on Playstation, I only ever played the original PC version. Even though I knew something was up with certain sounds. The correct Quetzacoatl summon sound sounds so wrong to me.

Same here, I never owned a PS1, but I got the original PC version back in the day. Some of the GF sounds are off. Ifrit's scream when he smashes the meteor down is very low in the mix on the PC version, while its pretty loud in the Ps1 version. Also, in Quetzalcoatls animation, when the initial lightning strikes down from the swirling clouds, its supposed to make a big thunderclap sound but its missing in the PC version.

I noticed the very same issues in the remaster. Doesn't bother me all too much though. Man, back in the day I played the game in software renderer mode on a quarter of a screen since my pc couldnt handle it at the time :P

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What version would you even recommend then? There is only two and one of them has the same issues AND more.

If you recommend PS1 you'll need to think about who and why you're suggesting that to. Can they access the original easily? Can they tolerate the pixelated graphics and backgrounds? Can they ignore the UI and speed of the game?

Edit: To give an example of what you would be suggesting when playing PS1 version:
So I am most certainly an edge case. I played this game the day it came out, I re-play games of this era all the time, I have an appreciation for how it and games of that time look that probably many other people don't have. But yes, if you asked me what my preferred way to play it was, I would probably start with the PS1. Which I am lucky enough to still have the game in my possession and all varieties of hardware to play it.

I would also suggest then, that if people would have (reasonable, sure) gripes going back to that version that they might look at something (unfortunately) less than official to run it. Prior to this re-release the last time I put any significant time into the game was on Retroarch on a Shield TV. 2x resolution and it looks and performs quite nice, along with some other bells and whistles that come along with running it via an emulator. That is probably the best "happy medium" between the vanilla original and a heavily modded PC release. Getting your hands on the game might be hard/pricey though, I dunno. And however you get there you are most certainly not telling the powers that be that you want more of this in a method they are capable of understanding.

I don't know. As much as I bitched at first when I've barely played it, these new models MAKE this remaster for me. Being more proportioned and detailed really helps sell the animations as the characters emote and interact. It feels new again and I love that. I'm a bad fan in admitting that I never completed a replaythrough because I had newer, prettier (and shorter) games calling for my attention. But this is like my imagination of the game visualized.
That is great that you like them. I think some are better than others, and I haven't seen everyone yet. But if there were a switch somewhere that let me toggle between old and new? I could see myself leaving it set to old. Do they have more facial animations now? I haven't noticed. Before my imagination just filled in their expressions for me.

Last edited: