• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Cannot wait for the mod community to get a hold of this

They can't do much, ff8 engine for pc is a nightmare, that's why mods have been limited.

But UVmaps have been fixed and it's possible to retexture some stuff.

remember that guy who said it looked worse than the original?

yeah

The original is intended to be seen on CRT so that's not quite fair for a comparison. The original backgrounds never looked like barf for instance.

So... this remaster kind of sucks ass outside of the character models.

Any chance we'll see a patch in the near future to address some of the issues or are we likely to be screwed on that front like with VII and IX?

They can't patch most of the issues people have with it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I think this helpfully illustrates that AI background upscaling isn't a fire and forget magic bullet. I wouldn't be surprised if DotEmu experimented with it, sent a few of the resulting upscales to S-E HQ and they were told to forget it.

Also, respect to hard working modders but the fan-made character model retextures are good illustration on how you can fixate on individual details to the detriment of the artistic whole. The sharp, visually busy textures of the fan retexture mod fill the goal of "HD textures" but in context make the models look worse and unnaturalistic. You'll notice the supervised-by-the-original-staff Remaster's new model textures are much more detailed but still deliberately include softness and ambiguity in order to "sell" the model as a character.

(It would have been great if it had been made like those Cifaldi-produced re-releases of Megaman. Those were meant to be the 'Criterion Collection' of videogame library rereleases and not only tried to make the games look as good as they authentically could but also respected and displayed its importance and history. Can you imagine if this Remaster allowed you to swipe right or left on the touchpad to swap between bilinear upscaled, precise original pixel art, and AI upscaled backgrounds for the player's taste (and to compare?). That said, thinking about it this morning, I actually realized that you could characterize this remaster as pretty much better in every way from the original...if you played the original on a standard playstation controller and not the dual shock. The in-battle menu framerate isn't really a deal breaker.)

The remaster should have featured filters. The fact it doesn't makes it look absolutely terrible on console. Yet it looks pretty good on PC with said filters.

As for the modders, they literally could not do anything else as the game didn't allow for different mods. Attempting to fix that was a lost cause.

Something you guys don't seem to care about is that they changed the main characters sure, but what they did is that they fixed the display jank of the 3D models overall, which automatically improved 100% of all the 3D assets, including NPCs. With filters on it looks pretty damn solid and nothing is jarring so far outside the few shots in the intro and the ungodly 2d Cid.

May 17, 2018
yea the new guys shouldn't be overly concerned with No-Level, Game-Breaking, Card Modding, stuff. You can basically play this game as a straight forward RPG (which it is if you squint hard enough) and be fine jjust drawing everything from every enemy, auto junction the stuff, and play cards against whoever you like whenever you like (or not).

I beat this game when I was 13 in the 90s using Gamefaqs. It's all easily done.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Question: how hard is it to get through this game without looking up all the best ways to break shit? Like, just playing through it and experimenting and trying to figure out the systems myself? It all seems slightly intimidating and like you can fuck yourself over later in the game if you aren't doing it right.
You can't fuck yourself over in the late game unless you actively level as much as possible while ignoring the junction system. And even then, you'd just have to to really optimize a build to get out of it. This isn't a game where you can permanently screw yourself.

Just so people realize, level scaling doesn't mean you have to avoid enemies at all costs, just don't sit there killing enemies for EXP like it'll help. Go kill enemies for AP though, that will help.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Also is playing Triple Triad mandatory? I hear you 'need' to play it to get OP cards for materials(?) which you need to synthesize weapons like the Lionheart. One of the things I liked to most about Tetra Masters is that you could outright ignore it completely. Seems different here and TT sounds like a hassle with different (and randomly changing?) rule sets.
All in all, FFVIII sounds like a game that needs to be played with an extensive guide book. But if the veterans say you can play it without delving deep into all of its systems, that's relieving. (Hopefully there is no absurd difficulty spike at the end of the game like Ozma in IX...)
No it isn't but it's a fun and rewarding game so I would highly recommend it. Tetra Master actually forced you to play at least once while Triple Triad you can ignore completely.

The only part of the system you need to understand is boosting stats requires you to junction magic to them. That is the core of the system and very easy to do.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Also is playing Triple Triad mandatory? I hear you 'need' to play it to get OP cards for materials(?) which you need to synthesize weapons like the Lionheart. One of the things I liked to most about Tetra Masters is that you could outright ignore it completely. Seems different here and TT sounds like a hassle with different (and randomly changing?) rule sets.
All in all, FFVIII sounds like a game that needs to be played with an extensive guide book. But if the veterans say you can play it without delving deep into all of its systems, that's relieving. (Hopefully there is no absurd difficulty spike at the end of the game like Ozma in IX...)

Back in 1999, I had no interest in Triple Triad and lost every match I tried. I still completed the game in two weeks with like 50 hours on the clock. I probably checked gamefaqs if I got super stuck on a boss or something but it wasn't a game I felt was unknowable without outside help.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Put in 100s of Hours on the original PS. I was 13 years old at the time.

Enter a battle, draw, draw, draw, attack, draw, draw again, and kill monster. LOL

It's definitely worth a double-dip just to relive memorable scenes.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
It's such a shame that a prestige piece like FFVIII didn't get properly archived back in '99.

You'd think the artists responsible for those backgrounds would've stolen some assets from work if only for portfolio purposes.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
yea the new guys shouldn't be overly concerned with No-Level, Game-Breaking, Card Modding, stuff. You can basically play this game as a straight forward RPG (which it is if you squint hard enough) and be fine jjust drawing everything from every enemy, auto junction the stuff, and play cards against whoever you like whenever you like (or not).

I beat this game when I was 13 in the 90s using Gamefaqs. It's all easily done.

#facts

Deleted member 53268

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 8, 2019
You can get all the materials for weapons fightning (and mugging)

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as a change of pace I thought I'd try to break the game this playthrough... But that means spending several hours at the beginning of the game not having fun. Said "screw it" and just started playing the game normal.

Play the game in the way you have fun playing and you'll be fine. It's not a hard game regardless.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the process of getting all the cards I can get to convert them to magic and I'm having a blast. Triple triad is the real deal

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Having trouble using soft reset on PS4. R1+L1+R2+L2+option+select doesn't seem to wokr. Please halp.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck everything. Thanks for the fast reponse.

Trying to abolish Random in Dollet.

Edit: just did it lol
I've read some people were able to get her to switch with the Exit menu. Most saved at the Balamb Hotel so maybe that affects it?

The problem is Galbadia is her favoured destination so getting her to move to Dollet is annoying.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The only way random is ever acceptable is if you get plus or one of those types of rules which let's you destroy people even with a crap deck

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck everything. Thanks for the fast reponse.

Trying to abolish Random in Dollet.

Edit: just did it lol

Trying to abolish Trabia's random and plus in Galbadia Garden was quite a journey. Took me over 2 hours. Luckily it's been smooth sailing ever since - I'll just stick to drawing points to manipulate rng.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing to keep in mind is that many of the remasters being mentioned are PS2-era games or games that were PS1 but remastered DURING the PS2/GC era, only about five years after they originally launched. This is a game with prerendered backgrounds from twenty years ago that's never been remastered prior to this. Yea certain things don't look as good as they should, but in a functional sense, if those things looked as good as they could given necessary budget constraints, it still wouldn't be as big of a difference as people are making it out to be.

If you ask me people have these certain expectations and are missing the forest for the trees again, just like they did focusing on Wander's face in SotC rather than looking at the total package. There are problems and disappointments with this remaster, but at the end of the day this is my favorite FF and it's the best it's ever looked. If you want to tinker with the image then buy it on Steam and have at it, I personally do not like the AI-upscaled backgrounds because they're too sharp. I'm glad this is the default.
Having trouble using soft reset on PS4. R1+L1+R2+L2+option+select doesn't seem to wokr. Please halp.
Going into menu, pressing exit and then loading the save again is the fastest way, it's not instantaneous like soft reset but it only takes about 10 seconds tops.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
One thing to keep in mind is that many of the remasters being mentioned are PS2-era games or games that were PS1 but remastered DURING the PS2/GC era, only about five years after they originally launched. This is a game with prerendered backgrounds from twenty years ago that's never been remastered prior to this. Yea certain things don't look as good as they should, but in a functional sense, if those things looked as good as they could given necessary budget constraints, it still wouldn't be as big of a difference as people are making it out to be.

If you ask me people have these certain expectations and are missing the forest for the trees again, just like they did focusing on Wander's face in SotC rather than looking at the total package. There are problems and disappointments with this remaster, but at the end of the day this is my favorite FF and it's the best it's ever looked. If you want to tinker with the image then buy it on Steam and have at it, I personally do not like the AI-upscaled backgrounds because they're too sharp. I'm glad this is the default.

Going into menu, pressing exit and then loading the save again is the fastest way, it's not instantaneous like soft reset but it only takes about 10 seconds tops.

It doesn't act as a soft reset though.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I've read some people were able to get her to switch with the Exit menu. Most saved at the Balamb Hotel so maybe that affects it?

The problem is Galbadia is her favoured destination so getting her to move to Dollet is annoying.
Weirdly I got her to move to Dollet on the first try. Abolishing Random in Dollet while she is there took a fair bit of effort.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried numerous times and got identical results each time. Had to use draw points to manipulate the RNG.
Hmm you might be right since checking it seems they used Draw points too.

I still swear someone triggered it without DP though.

Weirdly I got her to move to Dollet on the first try. Abolishing Random in Dollet while she is there took a fair bit of effort.
First reset try or just first time losing a card to her?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm you might be right since checking it seems they used Draw points too.

I still swear someone triggered it without DP though.

First reset try or just first time losing a card to her?

Exiting and re-entering the screen also changes rng but not as much as checking the draw points (at least in my experience). Same goes for just waiting and doing nothing for a while.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ran back to Galbadia after beating Brothers and got Lion Heart now lol. Squall is highest lvl at 16.

Also those Tents, just refine into Curagas and put on your HP. You can easily break this shit, I love it.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't act as a soft reset though.
I meant more along the lines of "do this rather than exiting all the way to the PS4's menu and loading the game again" but you are correct it's not technically a soft reset. Like Waz said there is some conflicting info online regarding what Exiting actually does but my understanding is that it just works the same as the earlier PC version, when you load in even just changing screens reseeds the RNG.

EDIT: Or I guess not if only Draw points work now (?) I'm not actively experimenting with this but I'll follow the threads online because I'm curious.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just need Seifer now and I'll be set for a while card wise. I hate all the retries you have to do just to get folk to use the card you are interested in.

Will try messing with queen of cards soon. Haven't bothered with it before.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
JUST A WARNING ABOUT A PARTICULAR BUG IN CASE PEOPLE MISSED THE UPDATE IN OP:

The Landing will switch to midi version when it plays towards the end of Disc 2. It's unavoidable AFAIK unlike Dollet where you can easily skip it. It doesn't play very long and will move back to normal music once the speech(I want to avoid spoilers for new people) happens.

I'm warning others so they don't try to restart their game to fix it. It's the only track in the game with this bug. Hopefully with complaints they can patch a fix in since it's the only part of the game that this issue.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Does anyone hav a reasonable guide for how to get rid of the random rule? I found one on gamefaq's but honestly couldn't make much sense of what i'm actually supposed to do or when i can do it. It was definitely written for someone much more familiar with the game than someone who hasn't played in 20 years.

My memory of this game came flooding back to me when i realised i'd fucked up the entire card game for myself again. I also want to set the end rules to 'all' so i can build a stock of cards.
I'm near the end of disc 1, following the linear path through this continent.
Went to playcards against someone when i arrived and saw the random rule, so cancelled, and after doing that one more time it said that regions rules were now dominant. How did that happen with me refusing to play cards against them?

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Also card game aside, this is definately the worst out of 7 - 8 - 9 trilogy. first time round i loved 8 and didnt like 9 as much, but going through the remasters I gained a new appreciation for the story and pacing of it in 9. In comparison 8 is a mess. I get that being a hired gun who doesnt get the whole backstory behind a mission is the point, but there's barely any world building or context to anything thats happening.
I'm enjoying playing it again, i think it's a solid remaster and I dont regret getting it, just interesting to look back on my opinions of the time with a fresh view.
Forgot how many scenes mix cut scene and real time with moving cameras. way more than FF9 had, must have been a logistical nightmare to pull off.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the entire
Garden battle sequence
is still one of the coolest in any RPG.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Also card game aside, this is definately the worst out of 7 - 8 - 9 trilogy. first time round i loved 8 and didnt like 9 as much, but going through the remasters I gained a new appreciation for the story and pacing of it in 9. In comparison 8 is a mess. I get that being a hired gun who doesnt get the whole backstory behind a mission is the point, but there's barely any world building or context to anything thats happening.
I'm enjoying playing it again, i think it's a solid remaster and I dont regret getting it, just interesting to look back on my opinions of the time with a fresh view.
Forgot how many scenes mix cut scene and real time with moving cameras. way more than FF9 had, must have been a logistical nightmare to pull off.
Story and characters(except Squall) I won't go into because that's a personal view on pacing and if you feel that way that's okay.

World building however is incredibly well done in VIII so unless you're relying purely on the main story to do it all then you're missing out on so many interesting interactions and quests. Many NPC's have changing dialogue and interactions. They go over history, each towns creation and reasoning for it, political differences and many other little details that create a lively world.