• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Yikes. The lack of analog didn't bother me much but I just had trouble aligning squall to talk to a npc.

What are the chances they fix this?

Oct 27, 2017
No leveling isn't required, that's just a completionist/veteran thing.

You just don't need to actively grind levels, feel free to turn encounters off when you're not farming items/cards/AP.
The game is so easy I wouldn't worry about not leveling
It certainly interests me, I'm just strapped for time and attention and want to enjoy the story again. I've always stalled off after a while, probably due to procrastination and disinterest in replaying the same areas to farm/grind/play cards etc over and over.

Yikes. The lack of analog didn't bother me much but I just had trouble aligning squall to talk to a npc.

What are the chances they fix this?
Exactly my issue, especially after immediately coming off of the PS1 classic version. That and the jerky way the background struggles to pan when moving diagonally. Nauseating almost.

Last edited:

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Guys, I'm just gonna say it. I got it on switch and am playing it on a TV and

I don't actually think it looks that bad.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played it yet, but the impressions from this thread is the same as the other FF remasters, "These are amazing games, landmark RPGs, that with small tweaks (boosts) they can still be enjoyed today, but god damn Square Enix cannot seem to polish the edges. There is always something broken or sloppy or poorly thought out in each of the modern Final Fantasy remasters."

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually think it looks that bad

dDvkQTC.gif

Apr 19, 2018
To those playing, does this new remaster suffer from the same sticky, almost laggy input delay when cycling through menus like in FFIX?

I really missed that instantaneous snappy feel of the menus from the PSOne original, and I'm hoping it won't plague this port.

I have seen people complaining about dropped inputs in menu and combat on ps4. (speedrunners)

Ugh, that's disappointing to hear. =/ A shame if true.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
The new character models look great I just kind of wish they went the extra mile and updated some of the textures on the environments because the new characters kind of make the background look worse cause they stand out. Regardless this is the best FF game and I'm currently playing through it again because it's just so good.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Fuck I'm not going to get a chance to play today, I just remember I have a six hour trip and won't be home until midnight. Can't even Switch it.

Either that or I stay up til 4am grinding Galbadian Soldiers as Seifer 🤔

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
The Trepies knew all I wanted was their precious Trepe cards so they made me wait thirty minutes before finally putting it into rotation. I have always been unlucky with RNG elements in games but come on...

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! This Mets game kept me from playing and they just lost in stunning fashion holy shit. =[

Wish I played instead of whining between pitches and innings.... wasted launch day.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Just as a heads up since some people were asking before.

The game will bring up the save menu which indicates you're moving on to a new disc. I kind of wish they just kept the screens for swapping discs since they look cool lol

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Do you guys know how long it would take to modders change the background with AI? The steam version will be the Ultimate Remaster with those AI applied!

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Wait..........no analog control?

What does that mean?
It means you can use the left stick to move but it isn't analog movement, it's 8 directional movement mapped to the analog stick as though you were playing something like a snes game with an analog. Truth be told it nearly convinced me to not want this game but it isn't bothering me at all here, while it drove me mad in ff9.
To answer anothee question I saw just up a bit, I don't sense lag in the menus here, which again was something that made me feel borderline ill when playing the 9 switch port lol.

there are some issues here but feels more or less of similar quality to the ff7 ports and I find that to be a very playable job.

SnesCartman

Oct 25, 2017
i'm sorry if this been asked before, but can anyone help me how to send queen of card to another city? i've establish diff rule in balamb.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
The Trepies knew all I wanted was their precious Trepe cards so they made me wait thirty minutes before finally putting it into rotation. I have always been unlucky with RNG elements in games but come on...
That fucking kid with the chocobo card once took three hours to put it into his rotation

Look you little shit I don't have time to play your mindgames, Dollet is on fucking fire

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
From everything I've seen including a twitter post someone said that it's the same as the original for analog controls.

This is a lie.

Also Wazzy I refuse to believe you cant tell the difference.

Make sure analog is properly activated in the original.

Mine wasnt at first and I was like "hey I guess people were right".

Then I double checked, activated it, and sure enough its night and day.
Perfect control over Squall, dont run into any walls, no alignment issue, walking or running naturally by just flicking the stick more.

Night and fucking day.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
i'm sorry if this been asked before, but can anyone help me how to send queen of card to another city? i've establish diff rule in balamb.
You need to lose a rare card to her, minimog is probably the least valuable one that will get her to move on.

Just be sure to save before you do it, because she can move to a variety of locations, but you really want her to go to Dollet first, and it's a random chance where she'll move to

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Early disc 2 spoilers:

I prefer sending Rinoa to the missible base since I like the interactions with her better from it. The only downside is losing the garden tour date
This is a lie.

Also Wazzy I refuse to believe you cant tell the difference.

Make sure analog is properly activated in the original.

Mine wasnt at first and I was like "hey I guess people were right".

Then I double checked, activated it, and sure enough its night and day.
Perfect control over Squall, dont run into any walls, no alignment issue, walking or running naturally by just flicking the stick more.

Night and fucking day.
I didn't say I couldn't tell there is a difference. It's just not THAT noticable for me and many others. I haven't run into any walls and nothing about 8 way is affecting my playthrough. The only thing I can say for certain is the controls are obviously smoother in the original.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play this again, now I keep seeing the best way to play is actually not leveling right? When I played when I was younger I would just try to level up and got to disc 3. But by not leveling up you can't get through the game faster is that right?

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play this again, now I keep seeing the best way to play is actually not leveling right? When I played when I was younger I would just try to level up and got to disc 3. But by not leveling up you can't get through the game faster is that right?

Not super familiar, but I THINK its just that monsters level up with you. So you aren't really getting stronger than them.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Enemies level up as you do but they level up better, their stats get more increase than yours.

So what you want to do if you try to go for a no level run, in this remaster it's really easy since you can turn off random encounters from the start.

You turn it off,set Quetzalcotl to learn CARD, you beat Ifrit, you kill Squall and Zell so that Seifer is the one fighting and getting EXP in the Dollet mission, then do the boss fights there. You have the card ability and now you can end your battles with this if needed.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Wait..........no analog control?

What does that mean?
The game still allows you to use the analog stick. It just doesn't support analog controls so you are stuck with 8 way movement. Quick video comparison I did below

To me at least, it means I get stuck on walls more often since the there is no smooth analog movement, but I've only just installed the game on my Switch so I hope I just get used to the controls (or the game gets patched).

Oct 25, 2017
The game still allows you to use the analog stick. It just doesn't support analog controls so you are stuck with 8 way movement. Quick video comparison I did below

To me at least, it means I get stuck on walls more often since the there is no smooth analog movement, but I've only just installed the game on my Switch so I hope I just get used to the controls (or the game gets patched).

Ahhh, yeah, I see it. Looks very jerky.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Final Fantasy IX's port on Switch burned me hard. With this version's blurry pre-rendered backgrounds, no analog movement, and no rumble, I'm going to have to pass.

I feel like if they added a scanline option or something, that would've made the backgrounds look better? I know the usual gamer probably won't care about any of this and ya'll might think I'm being nitpicky, but if I'm just better off playing the original on PS Vita or something, what's the point of getting this version?

...Unless modders patch the PC version to fix all of this stuff, like they did with FFIX.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I love FF8. When you get far into the game and you get good at junctioning, seeing all enemy attacks give you health is so satisfying.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
So like, the OST for this is the PS1?
Why am I hearing MIDI jank at THE LANDING????
Is there some menu I can't find to switch soundtracks?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy IX's port on Switch burned me hard. With this version's blurry pre-rendered backgrounds, no analog movement, and no rumble, I'm going to have to pass.

I feel like if they added a scanline option or something, that would've made the backgrounds look better? I know the usual gamer probably won't care about any of this and ya'll might think I'm being nitpicky, but if I'm just better off playing the original on PS Vita or something, what's the point of getting this version?

...Unless modders patch the PC version to fix all of this stuff, like they did with FFIX.

Telling you right now we can't fix the control. This is the broken pc version of 20 years ago with minor tweaks.

Visuals can be improved yes.

So like, the OST for this is the PS1?
Why am I hearing MIDI jank at THE LANDING????
Is there some menu I can't find to switch soundtracks?

There's a glitch in several areas if you load your save, it plays the PC midi trash.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

This reminds me of the days I restarted just to get GFs, at least twice. Once was after hitting disc 3 lol.

That's why I still haven't completed the game before....

I want to buy this but between FE3H, Astral Chain and other backlog games I really have no time. So I should wait for a price drop.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Telling you right now we can't fix the control. This is the broken pc version of 20 years ago with minor tweaks.

Visuals can be improved yes.

There's a glitch in several areas if you load your save, it plays the PC midi trash.
Oh well that's good to know, was fucking going insane and afraid the game was just midi ost by default suddenly

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Final Fantasy 8 was always my least favourite of 7-8-9-10 but I could never really articulate why. I think it was because I skipped so many of the tutorials as a kid and just didn't mesh with it well since I didn't play it in the release order. So the lack of a specific black mage etc kind of put me off.

But I started the game yesterday to give it another go and can't stop thinking about it even at work today. I just want to go back and continue drawing and refining things to get all my characters as powerful as they can be.

I think it's one of my favourites now? But I do admittedly have to go back to 7 to try that again.

The 3x speed thing is just such a godsend. I'd never have thought I'd 100% Final Fantasy 9 while also juggling real life commitments and working full time but I actually have with the speed modifier.... It's kind of nuts how much it improves the experience for me.

That being said, and I apologise if it's been answered before. Does OWNING the spell give benefits to junctions or is it the quantity of the spell that does?

I can't check because I'm at work right now, but if I equip a 1 stock of Blizzard as compared to a say 100 stock of Blizzard, will equipping 100 stock be more beneficial than just 1 in terms of stat bonus?

Rinoa just joined and wondering if it's worth adding one of everything Squall has now (cumbersome tbh) or waiting and just letting her build up her own stock naturally. And then preparing for when Irvine joins.

Hope that makes sense ;_;

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
For what it's worth, he's literally part of the background in this scene. I noticed this replaying the original recently as well. It happens quite a lot across the game.

Ah so that's what it is. I was wondering becasue I saw the new model for cid in the media.
tThe calss room pic was also confusing, seeing seifer, squall and some npc's looking all shiny and new and others like they were in the original.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 8 was always my least favourite of 7-8-9-10 but I could never really articulate why. I think it was because I skipped so many of the tutorials as a kid and just didn't mesh with it well since I didn't play it in the release order. So the lack of a specific black mage etc kind of put me off.

But I started the game yesterday to give it another go and can't stop thinking about it even at work today. I just want to go back and continue drawing and refining things to get all my characters as powerful as they can be.

I think it's one of my favourites now? But I do admittedly have to go back to 7 to try that again.

The 3x speed thing is just such a godsend. I'd never have thought I'd 100% Final Fantasy 9 while also juggling real life commitments and working full time but I actually have with the speed modifier.... It's kind of nuts how much it improves the experience for me.

That being said, and I apologise if it's been answered before. Does OWNING the spell give benefits to junctions or is it the quantity of the spell that does?

I can't check because I'm at work right now, but if I equip a 1 stock of Blizzard as compared to a say 100 stock of Blizzard, will equipping 100 stock be more beneficial than just 1 in terms of stat bonus?

Rinoa just joined and wondering if it's worth adding one of everything Squall has now (cumbersome tbh) or waiting and just letting her build up her own stock naturally. And then preparing for when Irvine joins.

Hope that makes sense ;_;

Yes also in case you don't know go to options and set "cursor" to memory, then draw in battle and hold confirm button, it automatically draws forever in x3 !

The level of the magic, rarity and quantity matter. And it can give properties to your attacks/defense etc.. too.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So if the amount you have drawn bolsters the stat you junction to you should draw heaps and avoid casting that spell right?

What is a goof GF to give to squall at first? Is there a benefit to giving him more than one?

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever people reach FH and need to pick instruments(yes it affects how a scene plays out) make sure to choose:

Tap
Flute
Violen
Guitar

Alao when you're solo in FH explore around to get scenes and lore on the town

Last edited:

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
So if the amount you have drawn bolsters the stat you junction to you should draw heaps and avoid casting that spell right?

What is a goof GF to give to squall at first? Is there a benefit to giving him more than one?
Yes, basically magic should be used as little as possible if it's junctioned to a stat.

And just give anyone any GFs early on, combinations only matter once they have multiple junction slots unlocked. Just remember that pairing certain GFs will increase or decrease affinity, so dont junction Ifrit and Shiva on the same person

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The other party members really get shafted in this game

Outside Squall and Laguna in the flashbacks no one else gets any good development they are just sort of there for the ride.

Laguna gets more character development in his flashbacks than the rest of the cast combined

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
For people on PC

Use reshade, add 'advanced CRT" filter with a higher resolution so that the lines are thin, don't go too high or it produces the opposite effect (otherwise you lose the advantage of having pretty models), add filmgrain2, and add levels (or HDR depending on your preference), can also add magicbloom and chromaticabberation(CA).

It simulates an old school look, blends the picture together so that the 3d models don't look jarring on top of 2d backgrounds, and it adds back contrast to the picture. You lose a little bit of detail in the simulation of old monitor, I personally think it's worth it for the blending (as this game was designed around blending), but you can also tweak each filter to lower that loss however you prefer it.

While waiting for HD background mods that will do just fine honestly. (Even after release since blending is always gonna be needed, like FFIX)

Whenever people reach FH and need to pick instruments(yes it affects how a scene plays out) make sure to choose:

Tap
Flute
Violen
Guitar

Alao when you're solo in FH explore around to get scenes and lore on the town

I don't remember why

but I remember watching a streamer play the PC version a few months ago

and the concert sequence was super messed up

Have you reached it ? How is it in the remaster ?