• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yea wish it had autosave, I don't like leaving games on in standby mode on Switch. Had games bug out or inflate playtime because of it.
Even if autosave weren't around, I'd be ok if it had a save state-type feature or a sleep mode like the DQ portable games that save your spot but delete the save when you reload it.

Why the ass would they have it in 9 but not in 8, which they're releasing over a year later

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I love the cheats in this game. My first playthrough is all about experiencing the story and drawing everything I can from every enemy since my party is invincible.

I'm sure I could save some time by looking up a guide but part of the fun for me is figuring out the junctioning for myself through tinkering.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Cant seem to hit Renzokuken triggers right. Battle menus feel like they have Inuit lag, anyone feeling this?

Anyway, trying my first no level card-powered playthrough

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
There is DEFINITELY lag on the menus in battle. Renzokuken triggers need to be hit early, and GF boosts need to be done slowly otherwise they dont register
They didn't need to be hit early before tho, right?

I swear it was on impact, or maybe Nero's exceed has messed me up

(Not that exceed is on impact, but it's a super similar mechanic)

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Cant seem to hit Renzokuken triggers right. Battle menus feel like they have Inuit lag, anyone feeling this?

takes some getting used to..

PJU1r0X.gif

Think I'm a bit far ahead to go back and do the queen of cards now...
tYuTCmi.gif

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
I heard some rumblings that this remaster has been a bit of a mess. Does anyone have a general list of the issues?

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Once you get the fatal 5 card combo of Ifrit, Zell, Seifer, Shumi and Elnoyle right at the beginning of the game and you're set all the way till disk 4 😎

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I heard some rumblings that this remaster has been a bit of a mess. Does anyone have a general list of the issues?
New models are nice
Npcs benefit from the models display fix so they look good too
Boosters/no encounters (in this game you don't want to level up) and x3 speed up are pretty amazing to grind magic
Accessibility

hideous backgrounds (will try to fix on the PC version with mods)
hideous world map (will fix on PC very soon)
No analog control for movement (so your character moves like a robot unlike the ps1 version)
No vibration (big appeal of the combat system)

That's about it ! Get well soon

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a few minor concerns but mostly the reaction has been really positive.

Negatives are:
No vibration
No anologue controls (both because this is based on the PC version
Backgrounds look pretty bad compared to everything else.

Positives are:
It looks amazing.

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
OMG I was a dummy last night (though it was late to be fair). I played Dr. Kadowaki for some hours trying to get Elnoyle cards to only now realize I can mug laser cannons from Elastoids in a Laguna sequence on Disc 1... /face palm Well...at least I'd want the crystal for Rinoa anyway but much easier to get on Disc 3. Just wanted to do the Lionheart on Disc 1 grind ha It's too tempting with the boost, Lionheart every turn all game long, baby! Well, when it triggers.

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of GF boosts, how do I do em?
Someone already stated what buttons but also wanted to add that you have to first make them learn "Boost" for 10 AP points. It might be on the second page of your GF's abilities if you don't see it. If you're a veteran and already knew that, apologies :p

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Someone already stated what buttons but also wanted to add that you have to first make them learn "Boost" for 10 AP points. It might be on the second page of your GF's abilities if you don't see it. If you're a veteran and already knew that, apologies :p
Depends on what youre playing on, on PS4 you learn boost, then while the GF animation plays out, hold the touch pad and mash square. Dont hit square on the X though, otherwise you lose your boost and get a weaker version of the attack than normal
Has boost learned just didn't know what to press, appreciated

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
You know what is lacking in AAA games nowadays? Five minute PowerPoint presentations detailing the next setpiece.

I love this game

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Was the older FFVIII steam version removed recently? I have it in my library thankfully but can't seem to find the store page anymore.

Pretty lame if they did remove it. This seems to be far from an objectively better experience in its current state and while I can see the appeal of the new models removing the option for people to experience the older version is never cool.

Edit: Nevermind. Confirmed not to be the case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Was the older FFVIII steam version removed recently? I have it in my library thankfully but can't seem to find the store page anymore.

Pretty lame if they did remove it. This seems to be far from an objectively better experience in its current state and while I can see the appeal of the new models removing the option for people to experience the older version is never cool.
Nope. I still see it.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Negatives are:
No vibration
No anologue controls (both because this is based on the PC version
Backgrounds look pretty bad compared to everything else.

Positives are:
It looks amazing.
New models are nice
Npcs benefit from the models display fix so they look good too
Boosters/no encounters (in this game you don't want to level up) and x3 speed up are pretty amazing to grind magic
Accessibility

hideous backgrounds (will try to fix on the PC version with mods)
hideous world map (will fix on PC very soon)
No analog control for movement (so your character moves like a robot unlike the ps1 version)
No vibration (big appeal of the combat system)

That's about it ! Get well soon

Will add my own 2¢:

Cons (based on realistic expectations for a remaster/port):
- no walk/run based on stick tilt; only standing still and flat out run unless you hold a button. This means you move clumsily and overshoot everything. Doesn't feel good
-Squall's new model's haircut isn't as good and doesn't match the FMVs or character art
-Backgrounds are a little blurry and are of lower contrast compared to the realtime foreground geometry
-No rumble (which makes doing Squall's gunblade trigger less satisfying/doesn't give as good feedback)

Pros
-Higher resolution/Higher Quality FMVs (although they still contain the artifacts of 2000-era state of the art Bink compression)
-Pretty much every other updated character model is good. (Cid is especially close to his character art)
-Model vertexes don't shimmy as much as the PSX original which had no floating point math for such things (animation can still be a little wiggly likely due to the reduced size animation data)
-No music bug where it starts again from the beginning after battles (a scourge of many ports of FF games)
-Music sounds identical to PSX original instrumentation (no crap MIDI)
-Cheats are sensible and useful if you need the game to respect your time.
-Speedup cheat does not speed up mission timers.
-Text typeface is high res and menus are high frame rate
-Chocobo World is included (or so I am told) BETRAYED BY MY HIGHLY RELIABLE SOURCE!
-It's final fantasy friggin eight!

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will add my own 2¢:

Cons (based on realistic expectations for a remaster/port):
- no walk/run based on stick tilt; only standing still and flat out run unless you hold a button. This means you move clumsily and overshoot everything. Doesn't feel good
-Squall's new model's haircut isn't as good and doesn't match the FMVs or character art
-Backgrounds are a little blurry and are of lower contrast compared to the realtime foreground geometry
-No rumble (which makes doing Squall's gunblade trigger less satisfying/doesn't give as good feedback)

Pros
-Higher resolution/Higher Quality FMVs (although they still contain the artifacts of 2000-era state of the art Bink compression)
-Pretty much every other updated character model is good. (Cid is especially close to his character art)
-Model vertexes don't shimmy as much as the PSX original which had no floating point math for such things (animation can still be a little wiggly likely due to the reduced size animation data)
-No music bug where it starts again from the beginning after battles (a scourge of many ports of FF games)
-Music sounds identical to PSX original instrumentation (no crap MIDI)
-Cheats are sensible and useful if you need the game to respect your time.
-Speedup cheat does not speed up mission timers.
-Text typeface is high res and menus are high frame rate
-Chocobo World is included (or so I am told)
-It's final fantasy friggin eight!
No chocobo world!

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Seeing people talk about the lack of stick sensitive walking makes me feel like the old fogey in the room going "You kids don't know how good you have it these days" when that used to be the norm :P

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
How is Zell's limit break? Does it have any weird input problems? Can I still mash booya and hell drop and kill Omega Weapon with it?

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
The best three cards I got in the beginning area was Ifrit, Quistis, and Mog.

Where do you get Zell, Seifer, Shumi and Elnoyle?
Zell from his mam, Seifer from Cid, Shumi by carding a T-rex or Grat, Elnoyle by killing Elnoyle

How is Zell's limit break? Does it have any weird input problems? Can I still mash booya and hell drop and kill Omega Weapon with it?
Zell's limit break works fine, you can input moves super quick like always

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Seeing people talk about the lack of stick sensitive walking makes me feel like the old fogey in the room going "You kids don't know how good you have it these days" when that used to be the norm :P

Oh I get it, but FF8 was designed around it. Compare to FF7 which everything was either accomodating on a straight cardinal axis or the d pad remapped at a 45° angle to the isometric field screen.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God fuck the random rule lmao. Still managed to get the Siren card from the pub owner in Dollet and my Mini Mog card back from that kid lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason to play Triple Triad or can I get by on refining monsters/items into cards?

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
How goes the Switch version compare with PS4/Xbox? Any downsides or do they all look the same?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Well my husband decided to rest instead of playing Xenoblade X tonight so guess what I'mmmmmmmmmm playing on the big TV.

Just under 20 years ago, I was an 11 year old girl playing this in her bedroom on a small CRT with mono only, fascinated by it all. Just under 20 years later, I'm playing this motherfucker again in my own house, on a big screen HDTV in my living room.

Fucking hell y'all.

Last edited:

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017

Thank god it's not just me, i just trigger the first hit but the rest are all miss.

Is this a lag input problem or what? it's just so frustrating. I dont remeber at all having this kind of problem with the PS1 version.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Zell from his mam, Seifer from Cid, Shumi by carding a T-rex or Grat, Elnoyle by killing Elnoyle

Zell's limit break works fine, you can input moves super quick like always

I kept trying to player his mom but I couldn't.

And I can't find Cid to play him. Any any instance where I could I kept pressing square but the option to play him wasn't there.

Also, "Shumi by carding a T-rex or Grat" --- I don't understand what that means.

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
The best three cards I got in the beginning area was Ifrit, Quistis, and Mog.

Where do you get Zell, Seifer, Shumi and Elnoyle?
Zell from his mom in his house in Balamb town. Seifer from Headmaster Cid in his office (top floor of Balamb Garden), Elnoyle is carried by the Doctor in the infirmary, Cid, and Zell's mom for the early part of the game just know that it can take a while to show up. I spent most of my play session last night trying to collect a number of them for an ingredient to get Squall's ultimate weapon in the Disc 1 portion of the game. Shumi is carried by plenty of players but I don't recall who at the beginning since I've only been playing the doctor but I can confirm the doctor doesn't have it, I have every card she carries already ha

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
"why is it so ugly?"
"it uhhh represents my hatred."
I'll never understand peoples dislike for the game or its writing. It's absolutely charming.

Honestly, I recently replayed VII and IX and was impressed by how strong the writing feels even now. I cannot say this about VIII - I'm 90 minutes in and there's nothing even resembling a plot or a character in sight.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
For people replaying the game: I would highly recommend the GF Distribution Guide on gamefaqs in order to plan long-term guardian force assignments, so that you can actually use the items that add guardian force abilities instead of hoarding them until the end of the game.

Also, always remember to make your exam buddy Seifer your high-level scapegoat in your low level playthrough. That is how you learn all those early guardian force abilities that are locked behind guardian force level progression, without losing your low levels.