• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
They did. Replaced it with an actual good design now.

I was only here for the bush I'm afraid.

I actually loled looking at the steam review mentioning I had no idea it was a thing. I'm still on the fence about upgrading. I have the PC version, always had the PC version when everyone was playing it on PS1 and I think it's perfectly fine. Not sure how much of a graphical leap on PC this is from the old without a few model changes and some cheats.

Ima sit back for now and see how it pans out. Glad it's finally getting a release on all consoles now.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
When is the best time to start the queen of hearts quest? I want to get the rare cards but unsure as to when to start it, especially if I want her to end up in dollet

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the whole low level xp run stuff is just so tedious. Hate that over the years that's become the default advice for people to give. 'Woah buddy, did you just level up there? Bad move. This is how you should do it'

Like, just play the game normally and try and get a good grasp of junctions. The game is easy enough that most of us beat is as kids without understanding half of that stuff.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
When is the best time to start the queen of hearts quest? I want to get the rare cards but unsure as to when to start it, especially if I want her to end up in dollet
Before leaving for Timber so you can send her to Dollet.

That or you just skip the quest and get all cards off CC members on the last Disc. :D
Honestly, the whole low level xp run stuff is just so tedious. Hate that over the years that's become the default advice for people to give. 'Woah buddy, did you just level up there? Bad move. This is how you should do it'

Like, just play the game normally and try and get a good grasp of junctions. The game is easy enough that most of us beat is as kids without understanding half of that stuff.
Low level advice is so that people don't grind unnecessarily and get punished for it.

I don't think anyone should be worried about leveling or gaining experience mind you but nothing wrong with making sure others understand enemies level scale.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I'll probably install this today, get in on the inevitable AI background mod.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure I'm going to be able to tough out the weird joystick 8 directional controls. They're so baaad

Christor

Oct 25, 2017

That or you just skip the quest and get all cards off CC members on the last Disc. :D

Low level advice is so that people don't grind unnecessarily and get punished for it.

I don't think anyone should be worried about leveling or gaining experience mind you but nothing wrong with making sure others understand enemies level scale.

Would she go to Dollet if I lose to her before going to Timber? Or would it be one of those by chances she goes there?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have noticed this if it wasn't brought up here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually there is something I truly wonder.

Do new players even KNOW they can walk in this game ?

Because since analog doesn't let you walk with soft pressure, and they removed the "walk/cancel" in the options and just called it "cancel", I truly wonder if any new player is gonna have the idea to randomly hold the cancel button to walk.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For sure, definitely go out of your way to grind like you might in other games. But some people are petrified of xp in 8.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I wouldn't have noticed this if it wasn't brought up here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I definitely noticed. The game is designed for free directional movement (compare to FF7's almost isometric mapping of the dpad at times) and I kept sticking on walls unintentionally.

Playing the game for 90 minutes last night the lack of analogue control went from "aw, that'll look a little awkward" to "good lord I hope they patch that in".

Combined with the dead stop/full tilt run aspect, I am almost certain I'm going to botch that field screen trick with the spider bot in dollet, even with knowing about the walk button.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely noticed. The game is designed for free directional movement (compare to FF7's almost isometric mapping of the dpad at times) and I kept sticking on walls unintentionally.

Playing the game for 90 minutes last night the lack of analogue control went from "aw, that'll look a little awkward" to "good lord I hope they patch that in".

Combined with the dead stop/full tilt run aspect, I am almost certain I'm going to botch that field screen trick with the spider bot in dollet, even with knowing about the walk button.

My character keeps zigzagging and running into every fucking wall.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

The low level stuff I've never understood outside of just wanting to do it for challenge or giggles. Not thinking about it at all you are not going to grind your way into a corner you can't get out of.

The game can't be "so broken it is easy" and have the advice be "don't level up!" at the same time. The best advice to give is to not look up guides, don't worry, and try to discover things yourself.

GreatBritton

Oct 29, 2017
Playing on switch and I've lost button functionality more than once. During a battle I cannot use any arrow keys or buttons. Hitting the home button gets me to the home menu then I can retake control back tl
he game. Anyone else experienced this? (Handheld mode btw)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I should have known that trouble was abrewing on that first realtime/fmv background mix of Balamb Garden when my character didn't keep walking forward with Quistis but immediately 180ed and disappeared from the frame.

THAT HAPPENED TO ME TOO

and then I randomly heard his steps off screen

kurisub

Oct 27, 2017
For those with the PS4 version, does FF8 work like the PS4 version of FF7, where if you change the system language to Japanese on the PS4, you can play the entire game in Japanese?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope you're ready to be slayed by the ICE QUEEN EDEAAAAAAAAA.

tenor.gif

I'm ready, slay me queen.

V6x484r_d.jpg

AnguishedOddFly-small.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing a few hours. I went down to the beach and grinded some on the monsters there, grabbed a bunch of Fish Fin, modded those to Water and junctioned that to STR. Most enemies were a joke after that. Then I got the Mid Magic refine ability and grinded a bit for Thunder, refined that into Thundara (and my Cure into Cura) and got even more powerful. I took down Ifrit pretty handily within 10 minutes and I was just about powerful enough to beat the mech boss but it revived before I got the final Thundara in. I shouldn't have Scanned that much to check on progress.

One important thing to note for beginners:
Everything is a resource in this game and everything can be modded into other things, so you can build your characters however you like.

Enemies can be turned into Cards. Cards can be turned into Items. Items can be turned into Magic. Magic junctions to improve any basic skill.

Enemies -> Cards -> Items -> Magic

So, you can improve your magic and thus your stats by:
fighting Enemies -> Cards -> Items -> Magic
or playing Triple Triad and winning Cards -> Items -> Magic
or even just ranking up your Seed Rank by doing exams, and getting tons of cash, and buying Items -> Magic

Then junction to STR if you just want to attack, or junction to MAG if you want to use magic. "But wait, I don't want to use magic, that will lower my stats!" you say. Well, when using these methods you will quickly gain a ton of different magic, more than you can junction at one time. Use the ones you haven't junctioned.

All of these options are viable, and you should only need to Draw a little bit in the beginning, when fighting bosses or just to grab some uncommon spells here and there. It really isn't a "Draw + Junction" system. It's a Junction system, and drawing is only your most basic way to feed into the Junction system.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was really tempted to nab this on PS4, practically waiting at the last possible second so I could still get the pre-order theme.

But as much as I prefer having most RPGs on consoles, I can't ignore the fact that modders may soon spruce up this remaster even further, fixing the ugly textures and 8-way movement.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Booted it up last night and man, twenty years old and still has the greatest opening FMV of all time.

Those feathers instantiating on the gunblade stroke…

Lovely, filled with visual metaphor, and still feels grounded in terms of movement and camerawork (before Visualworks started to go really nuts).

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Booted it up last night and man, twenty years old and still has the greatest opening FMV of all time.

Those feathers instantiating on the gunblade stroke…

Lovely, filled with visual metaphor, and still feels grounded in terms of movement and camerawork (before Visualworks started to go really nuts).

Hands down my favorite opening FMV in a game.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Guardian Force had a different name because my mind thinks of nothing but "girlfriend" whenever a character is talking about their gfs.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
With the 3x boost, there really isn't anything that bad with drawing a bunch either if you wanted to. What would have normally taken five minutes is only one minute now. You'll eventually want to move on to using the GF abilities but if you come across a really good spells you don't have access to, feel free to draw spam away.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think it has auto save on Steam because there's a red file called AUTO in my first slot.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Just power on. Just don't forget any more. Have a fight with Diablos if you haven't already.

Draw Demi, hit him with it a few times, profit.
Yeah, I beat Diablos using blind

Been leveling my GF abilities up, but I really don't know what to junction, some of the special def stuff is locked for me etc

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I beat Diablos using blind

Been leveling my GF abilities up, but I really don't know what to junction, some of the special def stuff is locked for me etc
Unfortunately that is because you didn't grab Siren. You will have to grab Carbuncle who you can draw towards the end of Disc 1 and it has the stat unlocked.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately that is because you didn't grab Siren. You will have to grab Carbuncle who you can draw towards the end of Disc 1 and it has the stat unlocked.
Ah, makes sense cheers.

And yeah, the no autosaving was weird, but it keeps me playing so I can't complain too much. Analog controls are bad though.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping to give this to a friend on PS4; is there a way I can buy a digital code? amazon doesn't seem to have them available.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
ONE IMPORTANT TIP FOR NEWCOMERS!

Please make sure to explore and talk to everyone. There is hidden scenes, little stories that unfold, lore and other really important things you can experience. Don't leave a room or scene until you have spoken to people present in it twice.
Does the Mag stat increase GF damage or is that independent?
Nope. Mag stat increases the amount of magic you can Draw.

Last edited: