• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Should i be playing the game in 1080p on Xbox One X/PS4 Pro so the CG movies are less blurry?

Just started it today, and they are pretty rough on a 4k display.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
The drawing and junction system is really confusing after FF7 and FF9 gameplay systems. I'm still very early in FF8.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Finally got to start. Finished the Field Test and now I'm grinding AP by turning fish into cards on the beach, at 3x speed. Once I get card mod I'll head back in and win myself some Elnoyles.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Yea I'm confused as fuck, how did I do this as a kid lol
This my first time playing FF8. I played and finished FF7 and FF9 for first time last year on PS4 and really enjoyed them and can understand why they are considered classics. The battle system for FF8 is definitely.........unique. I like the setting and music so far :)

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I'm confused as fuck, how did I do this as a kid lol

Reading the tips in this thread feels like reading another language, I have no memory of the card/junction system.
The drawing and junction system is really confusing after FF7 and FF9 gameplay systems. I'm still very early in FF8.
I made an image regarding Refine abilities but I'll try and do a simple and short explanation.

Normally you just buy armour and weapons to cover stats and elements right? So example, you buy an ice elemental sword to damage fire enemies and ice armour to absorb ice attacks.

In VIII the junction system IS your armour and weapon system. You use magic that you have stocked in the game to boost stats just like armour would and create elemental resistances. How you do this is equipping magic to the stat you want boosted. You can see each stat clearly when going to Junction at the top of the main menu. If you're wondering why some stats aren't accessible or even none at all, it's because you need to equip a GF that unlocks those stats.

This image is for GF abilities and how they help with learning abilities that create powerful spells from items.

2cZrvZ3.png

If anything explained right now is lost on you, let me know where and why! :)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
FF8 system is really really simple.

But for some reason they decided to have the worst naming in the history of gaming as well as the worst tutorials ever designed by mankind.

That didn't help.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but how difficult is the trophy list? For those that have played the game, is there anything missable, is it possible in one play through without a guide?

Thanks.

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
I have an insane amount of nostalgia for this game, and still consider VIII my favorite of the FF games. (Hey there, Wazzy!) Pre-ordered this in a heartbeat and got to play it for about an hour this morning. Man... all the feels came back really damn quick. I completely forgot all the tricks of the trade, and already lost the Ifrit triad card (oops). But I also refuse to save-spam to get it back. No shade to those that do it, but I've always had a rule that I won't reload a game if I get a bad outcome and just live with my choices. Hopefully I can get it back naturally. If not... so it goes.

Question though... I did the 3x battle thing, but do the other remaster "cheats" impact trophies? I tried looking around and didn't see anything, but I'm probably just missing the obvious. I don't anticipate using them, but it would still be good to know.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Man, when I finally get this, I want to get into Triple Triad... but I'm scared of losing cards, hahaha.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but how difficult is the trophy list? For those that have played the game, is there anything missable, is it possible in one play through without a guide?

Thanks.
It's a pretty easy trophy list but there is missables so unless you remember when to get certain items/quests done then it's recommended you at least check the guide.

The missables are GF(Diablos item especially), Obel Lake sidequest, Defeat CC Group and one of the Timber Maniacs Magazines on SeeD ship.

I have an insane amount of nostalgia for this game, and still consider VIII my favorite of the FF games. (Hey there, Wazzy!) Pre-ordered this in a heartbeat and got to play it for about an hour this morning. Man... all the feels came back really damn quick. I completely forgot all the tricks of the trade, and already lost the Ifrit triad card (oops). But I also refuse to save-spam to get it back. No shade to those that do it, but I've always had a rule that I won't reload a game if I get a bad outcome and just live with my choices. Hopefully I can get it back naturally. If not... so it goes.

Question though... I did the 3x battle thing, but do the other remaster "cheats" impact trophies? I tried looking around and didn't see anything, but I'm probably just missing the obvious. I don't anticipate using them, but it would still be good to know.
Hey! :)

And don't worry x3 doesn't affect achievements. I'm not sure about the others since I didn't use them but AFAIK they don't either.

As for Ifrit you can check who is holding the card if you go to your card list so you can try and win it back!

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
It's a pretty easy trophy list but there is missables so unless you remember when to get certain items/quests done then it's recommended you at least check the guide.

The missables are GF(Diablos item especially), Obel Lake sidequest, Defeat CC Group and one of the Timber Maniacs Magazines on SeeD ship.
Cool, thanks a bunch.

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
Hey! :)

And don't worry x3 doesn't affect achievements. I'm not sure about the others since I didn't use them but AFAIK they don't either.

You still rocking Squall in FFBE? Or even still playing it in general? I remember chasing him and Rinoa together when they came out. I'm pretty sure we were the only two on the Discord channel that actually pulled on purpose.

Thanks for the trophy update. I know I'm going to use the 3x battle speed thing a lot but don't really expect to use the others. But... who knows.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
You still rocking Squall in FFBE? Or even still playing it in general? I remember chasing him and Rinoa together when they came out. I'm pretty sure we were the only two on the Discord channel that actually pulled on purpose.

Thanks for the trophy update. I know I'm going to use the 3x battle speed thing a lot but don't really expect to use the others. But... who knows.
I sure am! When he got his awakenings I immediately boosted him so that he was around 2400 ATK. I also grabbed Rinoa's Awkenings too. I'm still sharing the Squall on my friend list xD

Also I edited my post but you can win Ifrit back!

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got into this and I'm in love all over again. That 3x speed is so useful for drawing magic quickly as well

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
I sure am! When he got his awakenings I immediately boosted him so that he was around 2400 ATK. I also grabbed Rinoa's Awkenings too. I'm still sharing the Squall on my friend list xD

Also I edited my post but you can win Ifrit back!

Good for you! I knew you would hang on to Squall as your share. I miss that chat and community.

Thanks for the Ifrit tip! I'll have to see who the heck has it and get it back. I forgot that you really should build a somewhat serviceable deck before jumping in. I got TROUNCED on my first attempt.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...And so begins the 10+ hour grind to get enough Elnoyle cards for everyone's best weapons by Disc 1 (except for Irvine's, that Moon Stone bastard)...

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
THE movement is terrible. Why did Square drop the ball with analog movement firstly with IX and now VIII? Is that difficult to implement. What a joke they are.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
THE movement is terrible. Why did Square drop the ball with analog movement firstly with IX and now VIII? Is that difficult to implement. What a joke they are.

Is the Switch version different or something? I can literally move in any direction I want on Switch. Moves like any other game I play.

Maybe I just don't notice it luckily.

Occult Fan

Oct 31, 2017
Ohhh FFVIII - How much I love thee.
It makes me really happy to see a resurgence of positivity for a game that went through the gauntlet back in the day.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Where's the best place to farm AP early in the game? (just passes the SeeD exam)

Also Quistis mentioned I could beat the T-Rex easily with Status-J but none of my GFs have that ability. Did I miss a GF somewhere?

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Switch version different or something? I can literally move in any direction I want on Switch. Moves like any other game I play.

Maybe I just don't notice it luckily.
Does Squall hard angle/snap to one direction when holding diagonal or does he smoothly follow the direction you're holding (like the PS1 classic does)?

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to change the 4:3? it's really jarring that it doesn't even take up the top and bottom of the screen. It's just sitting there in the middle.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Anywhere outside of Balamb Garden + that whole first area where Elnoyle cards are played in Triple Triad?

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the best place to farm AP early in the game? (just passes the SeeD exam)

Also Quistis mentioned I could beat the T-Rex easily with Status-J but none of my GFs have that ability. Did I miss a GF somewhere?
The beach near Balamb! The fish have a good amount of AP.

The GF that has STS-ATK-J is Siren.

Anywhere outside of Balamb Garden + that whole first area where Elnoyle cards are played in Triple Triad?
It might have been luck but Ma Dincht played the card quite a bit.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Yes. You probably forgot to draw from the boss that appeared after Biggs and Wedge.

Everyone does it!

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
The beach near Balamb! The fish have a good amount of AP.

The GF that has STS-ATK-J is Siren.

It might have been luck but Ma Dincht played the card quite a bit.
Ah, thanks but she's in that first area that I don't have access to. I'm at another garden school and there aren't any trains going back to that first area.

paradox85

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Started my playthrough, currently at the Dollet mission. This game brings back so much memories! Got this on Christmas 1999, have played through it several times since then, but there's at least 6-7 years since my last playthrough. Still remember almost every dialogue line by heart, haha.

I'm gonna play this through pretty casually. That means I won't "break the game" etc. early on because I don't really enjoy that. The game is easy enough anyways. I also try not to overuse the boosters - maybe the 3x speed when I'm grinding - but I see no reason to use the Godmode, and No Encounters you get pretty early on anyway as an ability.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Runs well on PC.
Any easy explanation to the Draw/Junction system? Decades later and I still don't get it.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I made an image regarding Refine abilities but I'll try and do a simple and short explanation.

Normally you just buy armour and weapons to cover stats and elements right? So example, you buy an ice elemental sword to damage fire enemies and ice armour to absorb ice attacks.

In VIII the junction system IS your armour and weapon system. You use magic that you have stocked in the game to boost stats just like armour would and create elemental resistances. How you do this is equipping magic to the stat you want boosted. You can see each stat clearly when going to Junction at the top of the main menu. If you're wondering why some stats aren't accessible or even none at all, it's because you need to equip a GF that unlocks those stats.

This image is for GF abilities and how they help with learning abilities that create powerful spells from items.

2cZrvZ3.png

If anything explained right now is lost on you, let me know where and why! :)

Makes sense, thanks!

Now I just need to wrap my head around this card game, I've never been good at any type of card game irl or in game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so just got the PC version.

On the positive side, they did fix model display, which fixed the NPCs. So that's pretty cool.

Using the joystick to move is torture I might just use the Dpad at this point.

Renzokuken without vibration is a sin that should be hell worthy.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, thanks!

Now I just need to wrap my head around this card game, I've never been good at any type of card game irl or in game.
Card game is so simple. You have four numbers for each side of the card. You put your card next to another's and you look at the sides of the cards touching. If your card has a higher number you win and flip their card. Whoever has most cards at the end wins.

It gets a bit more complex as the game progresses, but not much.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Runs well on PC.
Any easy explanation to the Draw/Junction system? Decades later and I still don't get it.
I made a post above about the system but I'll try a quick explanation again!

Junction replaces standard armour and weapon systems. You assign magic to character stats which will then boost the stat. For things like elemental resistance you would equip the spell type you want resisted to your Status Defence(ST-Def-J).

You unlock stats through Guardian Force abilities. To do that you just click the profile of each and select the ability you want to learn. Do this everytime they learn the ability you selected since it auto selects a new ability to learn which wastes the limited abilities that can be learned.

Draw is used to steal magic from enemies and stock it. You can also get magic from Draw Points. The best way to access magic is Refine abilities that GF learn.

Ah, thanks but she's in that first area that I don't have access to. I'm at another garden school and there aren't any trains going back to that first area.
Ohhh okay let me double check Galbadia Garden cards and see who has it.
Any good guide and or missable trophies to be aware of?
In the OP under FAQ!

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
LOL all the cheats. This will be fun. 3x walking speed and no encounters really help.

EDIT:
My only gripe so far is:
1. why are they simulating the loading time for memory cards? There's no need for that!
2. no rumble? R1 trigger just doesn't feel the same without it.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm holding off on buying this because I assume it'll have bugs that aren't game-breaking but are still gonna irrationally annoy me where like a tiny thing is off or whatever (like with VII's music bug).
So I'm watching a friend stream and immediately it seems they messed up the timing of that pre-title screen opening sequence and the music as the music is supposed to end when the logo appears but the opening scene seems to run a little too fast so it just sits there while the music is still playing for a good 10 or 15 seconds?

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Card game is so simple. You have four numbers for each side of the card. You put your card next to another's and you look at the sides of the cards touching. If your card has a higher number you win and flip their card. Whoever has most cards at the end wins.

It gets a bit more complex as the game progresses, but not much.

Is there someone you recommend to practice on early game?