• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Err, the backgrounds don't look too bad to me.

They can obviously be improved though.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
1 HOUR TO GO. HOLY SHIT I'M GETTING RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED RIGHT NOW
3zJzhoD.gif

7p206nZ.gif

VDkFLRu.gif

Actually don't mind the water it looks like the cgi version.

Like I said even with the mod it's gonna take a little while to fix and improve every issue but I'm positive that with the remaster there will be renewed interest.

And we should be able to properly mod the characters at least.

So there's hope for the future.
Well then PC gamers are counting on you all!

qzHxtVa.gif

Maybe enough complaints will get a patch for the consoles version lolllllllllll
yeah not happening

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
I've never fully understood the junction system, and I've heard that there are ways to really cheese the battle system early on to become really powerful and basically break the game. Any source or quick tips on how to do this?

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
What's a good FAQ for manipulating card rules? And avoiding fucking them up?

I've never fully understood the junction system, and I've heard that there are ways to really cheese the battle system early on to become really powerful and basically break the game. Any source or quick tips on how to do this?
The best way is by using the Refine abilities offered by Guardian Force. Each has their own specific ability and you gain them by selecting from the GF ablity list and making the GF learn it. They'll learn it by getting AP from battles. Once you do that you can access one of the big game breakers which is turning the item Tent into Curaga which you would equip to a characters HP stat.

The other thing is playing Triple Triad. All the cards can be turned into rare items and those rare items can be refined into spells. Some of the cards are given to you just for beating a boss.

Edit:
I have some images saved to showcase what I'm referring to just give me a sec to add.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The short answer is learn as many RF GF abilities as you can to get powerful magic while avoiding unnecessary leveling.
Oh yeah I'm gonna put these really quick tips here because I know it's gonna get asked so many times in this thread:

JUNCTIONING >>> LEVELING UP
Leveling up is largely useless as enemies scale with your level, avoid grinding combat and focus on Junctioning spells to increase stats. The differences are huge. Feel free to turn off encounters. Junctioning can let you build any character however you want, explore and learn the -J GF abilities to get even higher stats. If you learn Str-J from Ifrit and Junction strong magic to it, you'll have a physical attacker that's much stronger and faster than summoning GFs over and over.

GF ABILITIES >>> DRAWING
While it doesn't hurt to Draw, don't go out of your way to do it. Don't wait for draw points to restock or sit around drawing from enemies non-stop (except make sure to Draw from bosses as they might have new GFs for you). Instead learn the Refine (-RF) GF abilities to turn items/cards/magic into magic.

For an easy example, Draw Siren from early boss Elvoret. Learn her L Mag-RF ability. This will let you turn 1x Tent into 10x Curaga. Junction 100x Curaga to HP. Be amazed.

Recommended early abilities: Card, Card Mod, anything with -RF or -J.

TRIPLE TRIAD >>> EVERYTHING
Play against everyone. Cards are great for refining into Magic. If you want to get crazy with it, you can get Squall's best weapon very early in the game through cards. Not recommended for first timers though.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The stronger the spell the more effective it is for stats. Also the more of that spell you have the more effective it is.

Also I recommend drawing magic from every boss. If you don't you can easily miss a GF making it unobtainable later.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

Someone will post the guides soon, but the rule of thumb is that every GF (Guardian Force, a summon you can equip to your character, no limit as to how many GFs you can put on one character) has a J[unction]-[Stat] ability. It'll show up, as an example, as J-HP. That means you can literally equip magic to your HP in order to increase your max HP. There is an auto-junction option so this will be easy. But say you get to a monster that has the Tornado spell, and you draw 100 tornados on a character that has the GF that has the J-HP ability, instead of using those tornado spells in battle, you can just equip it to your HP. That way your max HP will increase from 800 to like 2500 or something.

Every GF has something stat wise. So say you put a GF-Str (strength) on Squall and equip your 100 tornados that way. Then your strength will increase and you'll be doing like 2000 damage per normal attack as opposed to 80 or something like that.

And given that you can only have 3 party members active, and you can switch GF configs per party member, you can essentially have 3 "roles" or three OP party members easily.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017

The best way is by using the Refine abilities offered by Guardian Force. Each has their own specific ability and you gain them by selecting from the GF ablity list and making the GF learn it. They'll learn it by getting AP from battles. Once you do that you can access one of the big game breakers which is turning the item Tent into Curaga which you would equip to a characters HP stat.

The other thing is playing Triple Triad. All the cards can be turned into rare items and those rare items can be refined into spells. Some of the cards are given to you just for beating a boss.

Edit:
I have some images saved to showcase what I'm referring to just give me a sec to add.

Thanks a lot, and to everyone else who responded.

Really hyped for this!!

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
OMG WE FINALLY GOT SOMETHING NEW FROM THE FF ACCOUNT FOR VIII!

EDIT:
OMG THIS TOO LMAO

Thanks a lot, and to everyone else who responded.

Really hyped for this!!
Here is a visual guide. Sorry if it's kind of ugly since I just made it now with images I took before haha

2cZrvZ3.png

So once you have learned the refine abilities you can start turning materials and cards into spells. You just need to make sure you have the particular refine ability you want unlocked since they all cover different types. The one I'm pointing at is recovery magic so spells like Cure/Life/Esuna.
Listening to SeeD and watching the timer go down really is quite fitting.
lol I'm doing the same thing

Last edited:

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
It has happened!!! FFVIII in 2019, baby!.

Well you fine folk, here's to a full blown FFVIII Remake in the next 20 years lol.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
MY GOD IT'S BEAUTIFUL. THE MUSIC SOUNDS SO FUCKING GOOD. LISTENING TO OVERTURE.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I strongly recommend to watch the main menu credits, that theme is just incredible and epic. Those stills are so powerful too.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest the guide I posted rather than the one with just general rules. Things get messy. Also, use search function on the message board. There is A LOT to read as far as people figuring out the RNG and more recent revelations of how rules do or don't degrade. Also, many topics that cover very specific scenarios that are bound to crop up.

Without a good grasp of how to manipulate the RNG for spreading rules and such... You'll definitely give up. Hundreds/thousands of resets await you if you don't (at least if you want everything perfect).

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone please go to the Quad when you first start. Thank you.

Edit: RAIJIN AND FUJIN LOOK SO GOOD HOLY SHIT

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Remember to turn up your battle speed in the settings if you don't plan on using the speed boosters. I always forget about it and wonder why everything is so slow. You'll thank me for it lol.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I actually love the way it looks, as someone who purposefully didn't watch any footage leading up to this. I can see how a lot of people might say the difference between the updated character models and the prerendered backgrounds is jarring, but I think the mix draws attention to the central characters in each scene while casting the rest of the background in a softer and more painterly relief. It's a unique look, barring visual settings on emulators.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The Balamb Garden theme. Balamb Garden itself. OMG, it is like I just had pure nostalgia handed to me.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about this game that always makes replays fun is just how many little details the developers went out of their way to include. Even really simple stuff like how Quistis does a little wave to her fanclub students when she walks out of the classroom. Just a little animation that didn't have to be there, but they included it anyway. The game is filled with technically unnecessary but nevertheless extremely charming little touches like that, and I find more and more every time I play it.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Man I actually love the way it looks, as someone who purposefully didn't watch any footage leading up to this. I can see how a lot of people might say the difference between the updated character models and the prerendered backgrounds is jarring, but I think the mix draws attention to the central characters in each scene while casting the rest of the background in a softer and more painterly relief. It's a unique look, barring visual settings on emulators.
Same. It's much better in motion than what the images look like. I find the models are so well focused that the backgrounds don't look as jarring.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The backgrounds really don't bother me but maybe I am just used to it after playing IX.

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking BARF at the herky jerky background panning while running diagonally with this non-analog control scheme. Fix this and every other overlooked flaw in this remaster. Waste of money on my favorite FF/RPG. It's like Silent Hill 2 and 3 HD all over again but I knew enough not to spend money on that...

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just learned this in the RPG Era discord: the GF and Junction tutorials can be skipped by just pressing Circle.

Maybe I'm the only person in the world who didn't know that, but I've watched those tutorials every time I've replayed the game lol.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i been waiting so long for this, thank you for the OP. Switch version downloaded and PS4 version downloaded. Lets go!

Oct 27, 2017
The thought of my money going to whoever those other emulator devs credited before the game are really irks me.

I'll celebrate 20 years with you all with the disc in my PS2 on a 32-inch crt.

*cries and might be too tired

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
These models are so good, the way Quistis is given so much life by just the new look. The GFs also look fantastic.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Twice you've brought up the remaster label bothering you because it will sell more than IX. I already know you hate VIII so the only thing you're doing is complaining about VIII potentially selling better than IX in an OT for VIII.

Not true. I've brought it up because it's a strange difference in the way two nearly identical releases were handled, and I've said that I wish IX had gotten the same label. I don't give a rat's ass how well VIII sells; I just want to see the IX remaster get the attention it deserves for also being a remaster. Quit being so defensive.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
It's unlikely the eight way run will ever be fixed because the PC release this is based off didn't have analog to begin with, right? It is what it is though. There's only so much you can do when so much code is lost.

The biggest problem with 8 compared to 9 is how they baked in a lot of NPCs into the pre rendered backgrounds... So in some garden scenes you have PS1 quality Cid baked in and then new shiny Cid in alternate shots. I don't think 7 or 9 used this technique at all, so it's a unique problem to 8 and legit more or less impossible to solve.