• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic OT Wazzy! So hyped to finally play this again. Having VIII on modern consoles was simply a dream a few months ago but here we are! Such a good time to be an VIII fan!

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to have this on Switch! FF8 was my first Final Fantasy as a kid, I don't think I had any real grasp of the mechanics (just remember spamming limit breaks and GFs) and I never finished it, but it's still stuck with me. Looking forward to playing it with some actual understanding of how things work, lol!

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
It's been too long... Can't wait to finally play it again! Triple Triad will be taking up so much of my time. lol

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a LONG while since I played this but still, here I'll try to help with some beginners tips for newcomers to this wonderful mess of a game (I'm going to ignore the in-game cheats for convenience):

• Junction is not hard, just convoluted. It's basically linking your stats to magic. Unlike most FF magic doesn't use mp, it uses units (you can get up to 99 uses of magic) and that's what you link. You can link any magic to any stat but it works in quite a smart way in the sense that for example Cure will work better linked to HP and Flare to Attack. And Esna will do wonders for status resist and so on. You can also transfer all your junction packs on to other chars for convenience

• On that note: don't use magic, ever. If you want to heal use items, if you want to deal damage there are better ways. Magic in combat is only useful in very specific circumstances

• So how do you deal damage? Limit breaks are your friends. Some people like to use GF for battle but I don't recommend it as they take forever. Instead get your chars to low health (yellow numbers) and spam the pass turn button until you hear a click. There you go, limit break. How to do it without dying all the time? Junction Curaga to HP early in the game and you'll have a huge HP pool!

• There's level scaling in this game. That means if you grind like crazy you'll make the game harder (the monsters have higher HP stats and that's not good). It's better to have a low level and good magic junctions all around. I'd say from 30 to 50 is the sweet spot for levels

• Diablos has a skill, no encounters, which cancels random encounters and let's you only fight boss fights. It's precious. Use it. You really don't need to fight normal encounters except when you want to

• You will want to fight random monsters only when you want some item. There are various GF skills that let you refine magic in exchange for items. That's better than drawing. Waaaaaay better. Also for example you can exchange 1 tent for like 10 curaga or something, so that's a great way of getting 100 curaga and have big HP pools early in the game. Get a FAQ on item refinement and go to town. Or even better you can just experiment

• To acquire better weapons in this game you need to forge your existing weapon into the new one. So each character only has one weapon that you forge over and over again. For this you need items and money. Use a FAQ on how to get the items and go. Some require specific levels or the mug skill

• Get all the GF you can and junction all of them all the time. They need the experience and AP. You can junction multiple GF to a char, usually you'll end up with 4-5 GF linked to each

• Play triple triad. Please. It's a great mini game and the rewards can be huge with a little investment. There's a GF skill (from Quetz I think?) that lets you convert cards into items and it's amazing. But when you see the rule "random" on any given region run, run like the wind. It's the worst rule ever and erasing it takes a while

• Take the SeeD quiz as soon as you can, get a FAQ and level up your SeeD level at 30 immediately. That gives you 30k gil every few minutes. You'll need it

And that's all I can think of without getting too in depth. There's lots to discover and to play with in this game. My main way of playing consists on getting no encounters soon and then go for the rest of the game with no random battles, just enjoying the dungeons and locations to my heart's content. It's a great experience, trust me. Enjoy!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Since you are leveling up through the roof via junctioning etc. and the enemy isn't keeping up because they are scaling with your level (which you are not leveling up), is the game still fun or does it become too easy fast?
The game does become incredibly easy! But it's fun managing all these systems, it's just a different approach to normal JRPGs/FF games. But yeah you're in control, you can reduce your junction and make the game more challenging if you want. I personally love laughing at bosses who can't do a thing to me because I've played so much cards.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Sadly I don't believe SE will allow owners of the current Steam copy to upgrade to the remastered but nonetheless, I'm in day one (again!).

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
God I love all the character renders they made for this game. I feel like you can tell how proud Square were of them and how much they wanted to show them off to show how much of an improvement over VII they were.

I still hate what they've done to Squall's look, but that's been an ongoing thing, not just something that this remaster has introduced.

Really excited to get this on the Switch. VIII was my first FF so it'll forever hold a place in my heart despite its issues.

Anime series when?

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My favourite Final Fantasy with the best minigame ever, going to be fun to Platinum this game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does

It

Have

Full Analog

Support

Especially the pc version. Make or break.

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, I need some help here. I've got the PS1 original on Vita where I'm maybe a few hours in (on the first mission with Irvine) and I haven't played it in quite a long while but plan to get back to it eventually.

So I already have my portable FF8 to revisit my teenage memories, but do you think it would be worth it to get the Switch remaster instead and start from scratch?

I haven't played the FF7 remaster, so I've no experience for how much the QoL changes really improve the experience.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Hm, I need some help here. I've got the PS1 original on Vita where I'm maybe a few hours in (on the first mission with Irvine) and I haven't played it in quite a long while but plan to get back to it eventually.

So I already have my portable FF8 to revisit my teenage memories, but do you think it would be worth it to get the Switch remaster instead and start from scratch?

I haven't played the FF7 remaster, so I've no experience for how much the QoL changes really improve the experience.
uh look I want people to support this release, but honestly none of the QoL things for Remastered will make that much of a difference except speed up. They didn't change the game mechanically and battle/encounter modifiers aren't really going to change much with how the game is designed. Do you like the visual upgrades? Are you crunched for gaming time? If so, this'll be a nice upgrade on Switch. Otherwise the game still plays pretty damn well on Vita, it's not like IX where the game really needed the increased speed.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I asked the rep at the booth and he said yes however...the rep didn't sound very confident so I don't want to say yes. I'm hoping something else confirms soon.

Thank you ! Crossing fingers.

Such a pet peeve of mine but since I experienced it with the original Ps1 version not having it is infuriating.

Mar 3, 2018
I hope this is ok to post here as this game is an emotional one for me;

This was the first final fantasy I ever played.

I'm from the Middle East and my family had run away from my country due to the war to a neighbouring country. My father was back in my home country so I was extra sad for not having him in my life. I didn't have many friends and was basically a stranger in a strange land. It was tough to fit in as some people didn't look too kindly on myself and all the other war refugees. I used to go to the park near my house a lot. One day during summer I went to buy some juice at the plaza near the park and noticed one of the stores at the end of the plaza didn't really have a sign but people were going in and out, mostly younger guys. I walked up to the window and it was basically a bootleg video game cafe. They had 10-20 crt TVs set up with PlayStations hooked up to each one. I walked in and was so excited about the whole thing. Everyone was playing either Tekken or soccer/football. There was a guy at the front with a tons of pirates games. Needless to say I stated coming here often and made friends. It reminded me of playing Mario with my father, which is one of the only memories I have of him. This is where I came across Final Fantasy VIII. Nobody there had any idea what it was and didn't even play it as there was too much English text involved and the game wasn't the style they played at that cafe. I gave it a try and instantly fell in love. I could speak a little broken English due to us having constantly moved around India and Pakistan after the war so I crawled my way through the games initial portion. The game was pirated so it kept crashing, freezing and glitching at various parts. Many times I had to restart entire sections due to these issues but I never complained. It was exhilarating. I made two really good friends over the game and the three of us would take turns playing as each of us got burnt out whether it was grinding for an item or dying to a boss. Eventually we beat the game after months.

Years passed and i immigrated to North America where I currently reside. I saved up and bought a gaming computer and the first game I bought on steam was final fantasy 8. I remember crying when I first booted it up remembering my time at that cafe and my friends who I haven't seen in over a decade. Some of them long dead due to the war, some I have no ides where they are.

I just got a switch to play this game, and I know I'll cry again. I'm getting emotional just typing this up. I felt guilty at first since I'm here living in safety playing video games while people I know back home who I grew up with playing this game that have to live in constant fear for their lives, but it's the only sweet part of my childhood and I intend to cherish it.

Heck, sorry about derailing the thread. Just wanted to share why final fantasy viiii is my favourite game of all time and why it's so close to my heart.

Hope everyone has a fun time playing through this ❤

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

I'm from the Middle East and my family had run away from my country due to the war to a neighbouring country. My father was back in my home country so I was extra sad for not having him in my life. I didn't have many friends and was basically a stranger in a strange land. It was tough to fit in as some people didn't look too kindly on myself and all the other war refugees. I used to go to the park near my house a lot. One day during summer I went to buy some juice at the plaza near the park and noticed one of the stores at the end of the plaza didn't really have a sign but people were going in and out, mostly younger guys. I walked up to the window and it was basically a bootleg video game cafe. They had 10-20 crt TVs set up with PlayStations hooked up to each one. I walked in and was so excited about the whole thing. Everyone was playing either Tekken or soccer/football. There was a guy at the front with a tons of pirates games. Needless to say I stated coming here often and made friends. It reminded me of playing Mario with my father, which is one of the only memories I have of him. This is where I came across Final Fantasy VIII. Nobody there had any idea what it was and didn't even play it as there was too much English text involved and the game wasn't the style they played at that cafe. I gave it a try and instantly fell in love. I could speak a little broken English due to us having constantly moved around India and Pakistan after the war so I crawled my way through the games initial portion. The game was pirated so it kept crashing, freezing and glitching at various parts. Many times I had to restart entire sections due to these issues but I never complained. It was exhilarating. I made two really good friends over the game and the three of us would take turns playing as each of us got burnt out whether it was grinding for an item or dying to a boss. Eventually we beat the game after months.

Years passed and i immigrated to North America where I currently reside. I saved up and bought a gaming computer and the first game I bought I steam was final fantasy 8. I remember crying when I first booted it up remembering my time at that cafe and my friends who I haven't seen in over a decade. Some of them long dead due to the war, some I have no ides where they are.

I just got a switch to play this game, and I know I'll cry again. I'm getting emotional just typing this up. I felt guilty at first since I'm here living in safety playing video games while people I know back home who I grew up with playing this game that have to live in constant fear for their lives, but it's the only sweet part of my childhood and I intend to cherish it.

Heck, sorry about derailing the thread. Just wanted to share why final fantasy viiii is my favourite game of all time and why it's so close to my heart.

This is a wonderful story and I'm so happy you will get to experience the memories and emotions again. <3

Beautiful OT and perfect title Wazzy !

I haven't done a full replay of VIII in many years, so I'm eagerly awaiting Tuesday.
You're the best looking OT here!
Amazing OT and I can't wait for Tuesday.

I did a low lvl run this past May, so I'm thinking about what I want to do here. Too bad Sept is crazy jam packed otherwise I might have tried a no/limited junction run. Don't think I want to commit that much time.
good job Wazzy
and the subtitle is hilarious
Nice OT, still undecided with what system I want to get it for but really excited to jump back in again.

Also, congrats to the winners.
Really wished this had come out on Friday because of the three day weekend here in the US but oh well. Anyway, great OT wazzy. I'm glad it all ended up coming together! The use of the CG promotional art was a good choice. Congrats to the winners as well! Can't wait to go on a nostalgia trip this week!
Thank you all! <3

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Years passed and i immigrated to North America where I currently reside. I saved up and bought a gaming computer and the first game I bought on steam was final fantasy 8. I remember crying when I first booted it up remembering my time at that cafe and my friends who I haven't seen in over a decade. Some of them long dead due to the war, some I have no ides where they are.

This was a lovely story, thank you for sharing

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Found my old strategy guide for the game. I am going to give it a read over the next few days.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game does become incredibly easy! But it's fun managing all these systems, it's just a different approach to normal JRPGs/FF games. But yeah you're in control, you can reduce your junction and make the game more challenging if you want. I personally love laughing at bosses who can't do a thing to me because I've played so much cards.

Thanks!

Yeah that does sound pretty fun and different (and since I've finished the game normally before it won't feel like cheating hehe).

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Weird to think that this time 20 years ago, I was 17 and mainlining every little bit I could get of this game from the Japanese release, including listening to my imported OST over and over, reading in-depth FAQs like they were novels, and downloading bad rips of every FMV in the game.

anemovision

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Aug 8, 2018
Is there any details on the music for the remaster?

Last night on PS4 the game downloaded and now when you push down when highlighting the game you can hear music from the game but it sounds worse quality than I remember the PS1 version sounding... maybe just the background music and not reflective of in-game. or I'm tripping.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Really nice OT! I'm looking forward to finally playing FF8, just need to figure out what platform I want it on.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MHIKOS7.png

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Can't wait! My all time favorite Final Fantasy game.

100%'d it twice in my life. Played it last about 4 years ago on my PS3.

Gonna dip in again on the Switch and complete a casual playthrough. Don't want put myself through Omega Weapon again!

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to Emerald for bringing this up;

It looks like there's a very oddly specific music bug in the game (that's not the classic music bug btw)

So for those that can't listen to the sound, basically if you save, quit the game, play the credits then back out into the menu and resume the game, the music changes to a weird midi sounding version. Now, this won't affect everyone but yeah best to keep an eye out for it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018

It looks like there's a very oddly specific music bug in the game (that's not the classic music bug btw)

So for those that can't listen to the sound, basically if you save, quit the game, play the credits then back out into the menu and resume the game, the music changes to a weird midi sounding version. Now, this won't affect everyone but yeah best to keep an eye out for it.

This is so oddly specific that I hope they dont fix it and leave it in as an Easter egg.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017

This is a real weird bug, I kind of hope they don't patch it.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Go with Wazzy's answers above, but I'll add a little tip for AP grinding:

For easy early game AP, Fastitocalon-F found on beaches, the beach near Balamb exclusively has them. Low exp and 3AP each (and they come in groups of 2-3). Also, if you kill enemies with Card, they don't give you AP. It's not necessary, but super handy if you're going for a no level run.

Almost every GF ability has some use, but I would focus on Card/Card Mod first and then prioritize the -RF or -J abilities and %Stat increases are good too as Wazzy mentioned.
1. Bosses don't give experience so you can get AP through them as long as you are setting the proper abilities to learn. A little bit of battling won't cause scaling as it's determined by the parties average level. Most refine abilities can be learned quickly and with No Encountees being a booster you can stop random encounters right from the beginning.

2. Some abilities are worth grabbing. They offer stat boosts such as HP Str+40% or HP+40% and other useful abilities like auto-haste/auto-potion.

3. I'll look for something that can explain easier but my tip for Triple Triad is:

ALWAYS save before challenging someone. It's the best way to avoid losing a rare card and the annoyance of winning it back. The other reason is to make sure you spread or stop the spreading of rules you dislike.

The game at it's simplest is just higher numbers will beat lower. So if you put a card with 7(up) 2(right) 9(left) 4(down) next to a card with 8(up) 6 (left) 4(right) 8(down) the second card wins because the 6 left was higher than 2 right.

Thanks both, I feel much better equipped to have a good time, enjoy triple triad more and focus on the batshit crazy story! Roll on Tuesday.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I can't decide between PC and Switch.

I have not played this style of game on my PC connected to an HD TV in a long time because the visuals have aged poorly, particularly blown to HD.

Switch is preferred on the smaller screen and with easy resume. However, FF7 didn't look good because they didn't upscale the backgrounds at all. So in that sense AI on PC would help.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome OT! Final Fantasy VIII is one of my favorite FF games. I have so many precious memories playing it and I can't wait to relive it again. This time not actually grinding levels and using the Junction system to my advantage rather than just doing whatever with it, haha. I will grab it on Tuesday, but I will likely be occupied with Astral Chain first. But I will get to it afterwards.

Was thinking about picking up the PS4 version thanks to the theme. But I decided to go with the Switch version instead, because being able to play it on the go (and doing Junction, Card grinding etc. while commuting) is something I don't really want to miss, I think. I hope there are no weird music glitches (except for the one mentioned above, which sounds hilarious tbh), though.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, cool OT and a very good title.
Too bad I have to wait before I can get it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The correct platform choice is every platform

Switch on the go, PS4/XB1 for trophies/achievements, PC for AI backgrounds

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I've heard mixed reports about analog controls. Does anyone definitively know one way or the other?