• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
I love every version of FFVIII, and it's great to see little differences in every port. Modders are hard at work to make the remastered version even better.

Xenor

Jun 1, 2018
The Remaster was really bad, graphics were a downgrade in most part from the original.

PS1
Bpk0LyZ.jpg

Remaster
UsicJCM.png

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Maybe it's the nostalgia but holy shit the original looks so much better IMO.
There is a certain charm to PS1 graphics. I always liked that the system favoured deeper and more subdued colours. Most of the PS1 remasters I've seen (mainly RPGs) seem to brighten the shit out of everything, which I don't like at all.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It looks a lot better to me?
Well opinion and all that but you can see the tile work, sharp edges and lack of color depth. Also the texture filtering makes it all look flat.

Then you have to get the issue of having the UI at 15 FPS when it is 60, 8 way directional movement only too and it's just a subpar experience all around. They did good updating the 3D models but everything else is pretty much bad all-around.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
screenshot_2019-10-31k3k7a.jpg

screenshot_2019-10-31tpkqr.png

The vaseline 2D backgrounds is what kills it. Companies needs to license those machine learning AIs that upscales images

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
mogster7777

Are you going to share screenshots that show your issues? Or are you going to just use a zoomed in photograph of your display with the brightness turned up to max?

I mean, there's plenty of issues with the remaster, but you don't need to go out of your way to make it look worse than it is.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
There are other issues too. The original used polygon models for the npcs. Here they've blended them into the background as a blurry mess and not been hd-fied or even in 3D anymore like the other character models. they stand still like statues as they are just part of the background and not actual polygon models. The original didn't have this. See example below.
NoDuXai.jpg

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
On a serious note, yeah the world map looks like ass in the remaster. I can understand the prerendered dungeons & towns being what they are (though that AI upscaling thing really should be adopted for these kinds of things), but the world map is just laughable as is.

That said, the usual QoE changes and the character models still make this my preferred way to play these days and isn't anywhere near an artistic blight as say, the FFV & VI mobile ports.

FFXII seems to have gotten the most TLC as far as FF remasters go. Too bad I can't stand that damn game.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are other issues too. The original used polygon models for the npcs. Here they've blended them into the background as a blurry mess and not been hd-fied or even in 3D anymore like the other character models. they stand still like statues as they are just part of the background and not actual polygon models. The original didn't have this. See example below.
NoDuXai.jpg
Why do you think the original used polygons for NPCs? Doesn't it make more sense that the originals were blended into the background and it's now noticeable with the actual character models being redone?

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
There are other issues too. The original used polygon models for the npcs. Here they've blended them into the background as a blurry mess and they stand still like statues as they are just part of the background and not actual polygon models. The original al didn't have this. See example below.
NoDuXai.jpg
From what I understand, this is a side effect of the fact that in some scenes, the models were actually implemented as part of the prerendered background in the original PS1 version. (This notably happens with Cid in a scene early on as well)

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The PS1 version does not look that clean.

Some of you should pop in the original and see how horrible it looks
It doesnt really matter though, because the HD remaster only brings out further the overall lower detail 3d map compared with the higher quality 3d in ps1.

A lot of the assets look worse on the remaster, except for the character models (think some monsters got done as well).

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

The main problem with this is texture tiling/visible boundaries while it looks mostly seamless in the original. Texture filtering itself doesn't need to be a problem, I believe the original played on a PS2 with forced texture filtering looks fine (likely because it runs at the same resolution).

Those 2D backgrounds look atrocious. Those screenshots are real?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
screenshot_2019-10-31mpk0u.png

This screen from Digital Foundry showcases well how much you are losing in the process. Slap-texture-filtering-and-call-it-a-day approach doesn't even improve the image quality, it makes it considerably worse

The remaster is unquestionably better. It loses nothing but ugly aliasing, poor texture rendering, and polygon seams. The only reason to prefer the original is misguided nostalgia for the PS1's shitty graphical quirks, which looked terrible then and have only looked worse over time since. The remaster could certainly look better than it does, but worse than the original? Not for one second.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The higher quality character models on the blurry backgrounds is pretty tough to look at. If I play this, it will likely be handheld on Switch to minimize the quality mismatch.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Also when Balamb garden gets attacked the music it plays is the MIDI version of the actual track wtf? How has no one noticed or mentioned this before? It doesn't sound anything like this on the PS1 version?

I just reached this point in the game and uploaded as proof. Spoilers obviously.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also when Balamb garden gets attacked the music it plays is the MIDI version of the actual track wtf? How has no one noticed or mentioned this before? It doesn't sound anything like this on the PS1 version?

I just reached this point in the game and uploaded as proof. Spoilers obviously.

Lots of people have mentioned it. It's a bug because this version of the game is a remaster of the PC release which had the midi music. Hoping they fix it like they fixed the other bugs from FF7 and FF9,

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NoDuXai.jpg

So you never played the original then, got it.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
NoDuXai.jpg
The original did have that. They didn't just add that here for no reason....

Oct 27, 2017
The remaster should have used nearest-neighbor texture filtering. Textures on the PS1 rarely look good when put through modern filtering, they just weren't designed to be viewed that way.

Nearest-neigbor can look pretty dang good at high resolutions too. Like I think Quake looks fantastic running that way on modern source ports.

Oct 27, 2017
screenshot_2019-10-31mpk0u.png

This screen from Digital Foundry showcases well how much you are losing in the process. Slap-texture-filtering-and-call-it-a-day approach doesn't even improve the image quality, it makes it considerably worse

Much prefer the original. Yeah it's pixellated and blurry, but there's an almost pointillist quality to it that makes it much more appealing than the smooth filtered remaster, which flattens the textures.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the best way to play this will be with mods with AI enhanced textures on PC, then the second best way to play is with emulator with pgxp

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

Lol okay this is definitely a troll thread.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Aye the world map isn't great, but it's a ps1 game so I don't care. Still the best Final Fantasy.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
This feels like you have some weird agenda, OP. You chose to go the low-effort route and post a single screenshot of probably the worst visual aspect of the remaster. Yeah, the world map looks like shit and Square didn't put much/any effort into touching it up. Ok, so? That's hardly indicative of the entire remaster and the character models in particular are great.

Not saying there aren't legitimate criticism to be had about FF VIII and the remaster, but this is a strange post.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The framing of the OP won't lead to any meaningful discussion, so this thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.