• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which OT title do you prefer

• The Lion, The Witch and The...Whatever

Votes: 140 42.0%
  • You're the best looking Remaster here

Votes: 193 58.0%

• Total voters

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I always wondered what was going on in Squalls mind when getting dressed.

8Y56fRZtjEStojEmkepODttre8I8rlPluBQZbCQsW3ZeE2l7Ov8xWVV7cuveUFCPBxmRxkszuPbsXzb7_main.jpg

"Yeah, I need three identical belts on my right leg. Also, three around my waits, but two will sag, one on each side. This'll look hella cool."

The background in this image looks really low resolution compared to the character. It doesn't look like they're using any kind of sensible AI based background scaling .. it's gonna look pretty bad at 1080p on a big screen :-/

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
IDK I think the original still looks pretty good. Squalls hair in the remaster looks much less accurate to his CG model.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley

8Y56fRZtjEStojEmkepODttre8I8rlPluBQZbCQsW3ZeE2l7Ov8xWVV7cuveUFCPBxmRxkszuPbsXzb7_main.jpg

"Yeah, I need three identical belts on my right leg. Also, three around my waits, but two will sag, one on each side. This'll look hella cool."
Have to agree with folks that it really is a shame we didn't get AI upscale backgrounds. One of the best, GUM, is still very WIP and no idea when it will get finished.

Aside from the art getting boosted, the creator is also improving the masks for the transparent stuff so it comes through properly.

my10QYk.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Have to agree with folks that it really is a shame we didn't get AI upscale backgrounds. One of the best, GUM, is still very WIP and no idea when it will get finished.

Aside from the art getting boosted, the creator is also improving the masks for the transparent stuff so it comes through properly.

my10QYk.jpg

What the actual what? Is that supposed to be an example of fan mods being better? The background is smeared out like crazy and Squall looks like Box-Art Mega Man.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disliking new Squall more and more. He looks tiny and weird. I like a lot of what I see, but that skinny anime Squall looks too different. Gonna bother me while playing, but still looking forward to playing the remaster.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a PS2 era Square game now, nice.

my10QYk.jpg
You serious? This looks awful lol, both the character model and the AI vaseline smeared "upscaled" background.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
What the actual what? Is that supposed to be an example of fan mods being better? The background is smeared out like crazy and Squall looks like Box-Art Mega Man.
Looks like a PS2 era Square game now, nice.

You serious? This looks awful lol, both the character model and the AI vaseline smeared "upscaled" background.
It was just the first image I found when looking for a similar location to that of the screens we got so far.

My point was that it would have been great to see SQUARE ENIX do the AI upscale approach for the game.

Squall certainly looks weird in that fan mod, but he also looks a bit strange in the remaster.

EDIT - Here is a better example of original game vs AI upscale. If they could achieve this quality throughout, would have been nice to see.

ZdZ5vQj.jpg

DlQElt3.png

Last edited:

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
It was just the first image I found when looking for a similar location to that of the screens we got so far.

My point was that it would have been great to see SQUARE ENIX do the AI upscale approach for the game.

Squall certainly looks weird in that fan mod, but he also looks a bit strange in the remaster.

EDIT - Here is a better example of original game vs AI upscale. If they could achieve this quality throughout, would have been nice to see.

ZdZ5vQj.jpg

DlQElt3.png

I wish I could agree with you on this particular example, but it may be a perfect side by side as to why Square did not proceed with AI for the BGs: They change the perceived textures and materials. In this instance, snow goes from being very clearly textured as snow, to something more alike to vanilla ice cream? There is the perception of depth in the low res original, and it goes away with smears everywhere on the updated one.

AI algorithms definitely improve the IQ, but they can damage the core artwork if not used well.

Last edited:

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land

ZdZ5vQj.jpg

DlQElt3.png
in a perfect world square would've run the backgrounds through AI then had artists touch them up, that would've been fantastic but alas.

Oct 26, 2017
in a perfect world square would've run the backgrounds through AI then had artists touch them up, that would've been fantastic but alas.

In a perfect world FF8 would be the one getting the complete remake and would be done now. But for a remaster it's unfeasible to expect redrawn backgrounds, AI or not. And since AI doesn't produce a perfect result they'd have to spend a ton of time on touching it up anyway.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
This really is a poster child for how a remaster should be handled graphics-wise. Really impressed by the effort Square has put in here, especially for an FF game so widely considered to be one of the less popular entries and a "black sheep" in general.

Honestly, I really wish Square had done something like this for FF VII. I'm REALLY looking forward to FF VII Remake after playing it at E3, but I think a remaster of the OG FF VII in this vein holds a huge amount of appeal in its own way.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
This really is a poster child for how a remaster should be handled graphics-wise. Really impressed by the effort Square has put in here, especially for an FF game so widely considered to be one of the less popular entries and a "black sheep" in general.

Honestly, I really wish Square had done something like this for FF VII. I'm REALLY looking forward to FF VII Remake after playing it at E3, but I think a remaster of the OG FF VII in this vein holds a huge amount of appeal in its own way.

It can definitely be poster child if it also provides some CRT-Scanlines options.

Mostly because they are still using the original BGs with no perceived AI filtering. A scanlines or aperture grille overlay or shader can help to mask the low res or blurry backgrounds very sucessfuly, providing a much more cohesive 3D-2D final look.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish we'd had widescreen redrawn backgrounds. I know that's unrealistic but that's the dream.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Squall looks like someone who's parents shouldn't have stopped dressing him

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
It can definitely be poster child if it also provides some CRT-Scanlines options.

Mostly because they are still using the original BGs with no perceived AI filtering. A scanlines or aperture grille overlay or shader can help to mask the low res or blurry backgrounds very sucessfuly, providing a much more cohesive 3D-2D final look.

The work that has been done already is more than what is done for most remasters from the PS1 era, though, so I'm not complaining. That said, I probably have a lower bar than most when it comes to being satisfied with visuals. I'm not that picky, haha. (Not saying you are or would be wrong if you were! I'm just coming at this from a different angle.)

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly liked his old eyes more. Apart from that, I can't wait to play this later this year. Been waiting for it for a good 6 years now.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Assist sounds like the lamest shit ever. Like these games aren't easy enough already.

No Encounter is also a lame inclusion given Diablos already has a no-encounter ability you could unlock. I guess it's too much to ask that people actually learn a game's systems.

Rest sounds good although the fun of FFVIII is in breaking the game yourself. Using what are essentially cheat codes isn't fun imo.
As someone who's already played the game and wants to coast through the story, these settings are a godsend🤷🏻‍♂️

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

my10QYk.jpg
This just makes me want to wait for a mod that fixes Squall's hair more than anything.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if there is any advantage of the other versions over Switch? If it's basically the same thing I would prefer the portability of the switch over my Playstation.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
The work that has been done already is more than what is done for most remasters from the PS1 era, though, so I'm not complaining. That said, I probably have a lower bar than most when it comes to being satisfied with visuals. I'm not that picky, haha. (Not saying you are or would be wrong if you were! I'm just coming at this from a different angle.)

You are absolutely right that this effort goes beyond other efforts in the industry. However, they could really step it up a bit more by providing quick alternatives to the final IQ rendering.

A scanlines overlay should be a matter of days-hours for their team, and should have neglible impact to performance, for example. (A shader can be more demanding, but an overlay its a good workaround)

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll be the odd man out, I don't mind the new Squall model. Hair and all.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
I'm glad people think it looks good even though I can't agree. The backgrounds look terrible.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with Squall now, like Wazzy said, he's looked consistently worse for over a decade now so I can live with it. Meanwhile, I'm very happy with how everyone else looks. Gives some of them more character.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Squalls new hair and face is soooo bad. Getting it on pc, maybe someone can get a mod workways for it. Everything else looks great

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I actually wish this upgrade is what they would have done with FF7, instead of a full remake.