• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont think I want ff8 to have voice acting, spend that resource towards an extended ending/ closing plotholes/explaining NORG.

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like a few scenes could definitely use it and Squall's Dissidia/Kingdom Hearts voice I wouldn't mind at that.

For example

and maybe

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
z_5d14b2a834280.jpg

z_5d14b2a85a7c5.jpg

As usual, PC version for the HD backgrounds modded.

I'm more curious how they're gonna handle the 2D npcs. Also I guess if you don't stand too close to your screen, their thing is gonna be *okay*.

It looks like they applied a blur filter, just like with the other two games. I was hoping they wouldn't.

What they did to IX is so atrocious.

Good thing we fixed it on PC.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They did it to VII on consoles as well.

And they used unfinished code so the NPCs all have an open mouth LMAO.

Jesus christ Square ...

I fixed PC ff7, i fixed PC ff9...

You know where this is going.

But for the record, it seems like they put a bit more effort into 8 so hopefully there will be less to fix this time around, and more importantly, maybe it be will kinda okay on console for once.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
My only wish is that they somehow lock in the enemy level scaling to being 5-15 levels above your current level in whatever area you first enter. As much as I like FF8, not being able to curbstomp early area enemies always bummed me out, and I'm far too lazy to fully exploit Junctions and Triple Triad.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Consoles:
0nwdoIS.jpg

PC:
7J8s91S.jpg

I think all three ports have been handled by DotEmu.

IX was made for mobile with the QA that went with it. It's even worse.

7 was shoddily ported from a broken PC version.

8 is broken but the thing is, everything broken about 8's pc version is jarring so they probably had to fix most of it themselves.

For the record, the PC version of ff7 doesn't look good unmodded.

I have mentioned how GORGEOUS the backgrounds look on CRT for ff7 and 8, this pixel vomit mess isn't doing them any justice.

You you can either apply filters or use the HD backgrounds mod :) . (or both)

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the message was changed

Widely beloved, FINAL FANTASY VIII casts unlikely heroes into a war to save the world. The military nation of Galbadia has declared war on the Dukedom of Dollet, who are left with no choice but to hire a mercenary force for their defense. Enter SeeD and its newest member: Squall Leonhart. Together with his friends, Squall joins Rinoa Heartilly, a member of a resistance group, on an adventure that holds the fate of their world in its balance. FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered marks the 20th Anniversary of its original release with a complete visual refresh and brings the game's classic story to modern platforms: Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. With fully overhauled visuals, see your favorite characters come to life like never before!

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Expected. No way did I think they'd be adding Voice Over to the game. If they were, it would 100% have been in the initial reveal to generate hype.

Looks like a simple mistake on the website. Disappointing all the same.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
There won't be. It's a remaster, not a remake; none of their other remasters have included voice acting where there wasn't any.
I'd wager you're right. They can barely be bothered to patch bugs in their remasters, much less add voice acting. Plus, the text was written to be read, not spoken aloud by actors. It would sound so awkward if performed. Except for the Trepies. Give them voice!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFVIII is my favorite game ever. No way in hell do I agree with you here.

The FF7 remake is wholly unnecessary and exists as a monument to Square's creative bankruptcy, let alone that they are demonstrably incapable of replicating what made FF7 so good.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The FF7 remake is wholly unnecessary and exists as a monument to Square's creative bankruptcy, let alone that they are demonstrably incapable of replicating what made FF7 so good.

So what is the FFVIII Remaster then? Lmao, wholly unnecessary?

What about the adults who are 22 and younger or the people hated the original? People in general wanted a remake since e3 2005. Now it is creative bankrupt.

Listen, I rather an FFVIII Remake but I just can't agree with you here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what is the FFVIII Remaster then? Lmao, wholly unnecessary?

What about the adults who are 22 and younger or the people hated the original? People in general wanted a remake since e3 2005. Now it is creative bankrupt.

Listen, I rather an FFVIII Remake but I just can't agree with you here.

The remaster is exactly what FF7 should have gotten. A fresh coat of paint to smooth over the jagged polygonal graphics and a firm slap on the back as it made its way out the door.

In this day and age where nigh anyone can access a library of video games, remakes are bloody stupid, let alone one that's going to poisoned with expanded universe nonsense the way FF7R undoubtedly is going to be subject to.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
...they're really going to use the modern/Dissidia Squall model, huh. What's even the point to that if this is supposed to be a remaster. Dude is totally different.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Saying you're more excited for one game has no baring on the importance of either of them.

I'm also more excited for FFVIII than FFVIIR, because VIII is more or less guaranteed to still be a great game, whereas SE has a skechy track record going into FFVIIR. Makes more sense to have tempered expectations for that.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
sad to see the VO part gone from the source code of the site.
Would have been a neat Addition.
I am now also in the "placeholder Price" camp.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Saying you're more excited for one game has no baring on the importance of either of them.

I'm also more excited for FFVIII than FFVIIR, because VIII is more or less guaranteed to still be a great game, whereas SE has a skechy track record going into FFVIIR. Makes more sense to have tempered expectations for that.

Eh, it is FFVIII fandom thread for the remaster. Shouldn't have said anything. There can be a thread about FFI remaster and plenty of people would say the same over the FFVII:R. It was a waste of time for me.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Chocobo Dungeon completely redid the voice acting and Crystal Chronicles is getting voice acting.

I mean, redone voice acting is different from introducing something entirely new. I'd forgotten Crystal Chronicles was getting it, though! Frankly, given that they didn't feature any voice acting in the VIII trailer the way they did the Crystal Chronicles trailer, it'd still surprise me if they actually did it. (Plus, the text about it was removed from the site's source code, yeah? It wouldn't be surprising if it's just a general placeholder they use for most of their games.)

I'd wager you're right. They can barely be bothered to patch bugs in their remasters, much less add voice acting. Plus, the text was written to be read, not spoken aloud by actors. It would sound so awkward if performed. Except for the Trepies. Give them voice!

To be fair, they're also adding voice acting to Crystal Chronicles and fully remaking VII, so I wouldn't really use bug issues as an example here lol. You're right, though; the text wasn't written with spoken dialogue in mind, so it'd likely sound even more awkward than some later games do at times.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, redone voice acting is different from introducing something entirely new. I'd forgotten Crystal Chronicles was getting it, though! Frankly, given that they didn't feature any voice acting in the VIII trailer the way they did the Crystal Chronicles trailer, it'd still surprise me if they actually did it. (Plus, the text about it was removed from the site's source code, yeah? It wouldn't be surprising if it's just a general placeholder they use for most of their games.)

To be fair, they're also adding voice acting to Crystal Chronicles and fully remaking VII, so I wouldn't really use bug issues as an example here lol. You're right, though; the text wasn't written with spoken dialogue in mind, so it'd likely sound even more awkward than some later games do at times.

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if the source code template was just a general one made for remasters, so I'm really not expecting it to actually be in VIII.

I do hope it's better than the VII and IX remasters though. SE put a ton of effort into Chocobo Dungeon, with extra content and rebalancing and rearranging a lot of the game. Crystal Chronicles also looks pretty high effort and has new dungeons confirmed. It'd be great if VIII got a nice overhaul rather than just some redone models.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
not sure if people care, but I tried a firing up FFVIII with all the fan mods (Project Angel) that tries to fix a lot of the assets:

0LNs1fq.jpg
oHDPxPW.jpg
1Ek1xev.jpg