• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wasn't initially impressed, but seeing the side by side, holy hell that's a big upgrade in the model department.

Excited as fuck now.
As someone who slaved away to 100% FF8, the thought of actually getting trophies for FF8 makes me happy. Not looking forward to the queen of cards again :/

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, keep whining all you want.

This is the reality.

OG and weird ass "up res".

So yeah the new models are more than welcome and about 784 times superior. Especially since we can mod his new hair very easily thanks to the geometry change.

9c7eb2abcedffff08d50615ba55ee97c.png

Ulrta HD version of the model on the right:

MichaelMyersHalloween.jpg

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
I'd love a physical release, even if they have to combine VIII with VII. I'd pay full price and most in this thread would for VIII on its own I believe!

Throw IX in the garbage though, keep it OFF of the cartridge. Legends only.
5XSibfK.gif

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I will buy this if the game tells me how to get screws so I can upgrade my stupid gunblade. I made it to disc 3 in the original without ever finding a single screw.

Also, I'm probably only going to give this a go if it has the same boosters that VII/IX have. I never liked the battle system in this one.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Growing up in a non-internet connected household, this was never made obvious to me. I blame the game's design.
No sorry that's all on you.

The Geezard card is constantly available in Triple Triad and you even start with it. The Geezard enemy can be found in multiple locations and drops screws/can be stolen from them. If you decided to ignore multiple mechanics in VIII then you have no one to blame but yourself. I could understand more complicated materials that are missable but one of the most common in the game? Nope.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
I will buy this if the game tells me how to get screws so I can upgrade my stupid gunblade. I made it to disc 3 in the original without ever finding a single screw.

Also, I'm probably only going to give this a go if it has the same boosters that VII/IX have. I never liked the battle system in this one.

Well lucky you, after you get the lamp/Diabolos near the beginning of the game, the battle system becomes entirely optional! Plus I thought they were adding boosters? And you'll never need to grind in this game due to the fact that enemies scale with you and stats rely on drawn magic. No need to fight endless enemies for cash when you have a steady paycheck coming in too!

VIII really was ahead of its time, whew.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
No sorry that's all on you.

The Geezard card is constantly available in Triple Triad and you even start with it. The Geezard enemy can be found in multiple locations and drops screws/can be stolen from them. If you decided to ignore multiple mechanics in VIII then you have no one to blame but yourself. I could understand more complicated materials that are missable but one of the most common in the game? Nope.

asjcrsgjffnn let 'em know!

Also PRAY the iconic "Eyes On Me" by Faye Wong isn't excised due to some licensing hell, they'd better not DARE try it especially since FF IX got to keep "Memories of Flop".

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Growing up in a non-internet connected household, this was never made obvious to me. I blame the game's design.
You blame the card design for you never exploring enough to encounter one of the most common enemies in the game? And didn't play cards enough to get one of the most common cards in the game?

Uh sure I guess. Like you could've picked an actually scarce item to make the point lol.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
How are those possible???
I don't think he meant that is all doable on disc 1 but Lionheart you can get on Disc 1 by gathering all the materials required for it:

- Adamantine which you can get as a drop from level 30-100 Adamantoise or just mod the Minotaur card
- Kill T-Rexaur or Grendels for Dragon Fangs
- Get 20 Elyonole cards in Garden and card mod into Energy Crystals then Ammo Refine those into Pulse Ammo

The stats are doable with GF abilities that give bonus to a stat when leveling up and you can grab the best magic in the game from Island Closest to Heaven and Hell. There is also stat boosting items.

asjcrsgjffnn let 'em know!

Also PRAY the iconic "Eyes On Me" by Faye Wong isn't excised due to some licensing hell, they'd better not DARE try it especially since FF IX got to keep "Memories of Flop".
Sis we know they wouldn't do the best song and the ICONIC romance dirty like that. Queen Rinoa won't have it.
6kWwTaF.gif

What we really need to worry about is our emotions when experiencing the greatest ending in the series again. ; ;

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I somehow usually manage to miss geezard as an enemy as well despite it being a common enemy. But, the card mehanic is like the biggest joy for me and you can card mod screws about the same time that you start up the game. If you hate cards and card modding, I can see somehow missing screws.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I somehow usually manage to miss gizzard as an enemy as well despite it being a common enemy. But, the card mehanic is like the biggest joy for me and you can card mod screws about the same time that you start up the game. If you hate cards and card modding, I can see somehow missing screws.
So that's where you got those damn screws...

Never really understood the card game so this all makes sense now.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
So that's where you got those damn screws...

Never really understood the card game so this all makes sense now.
The card game, and the various mechanics, is complicated...

But for the most part in the starting area, you get the Ifrit card, and try to win card battles from there. The card rules in Balamb are easy, you just have to have the highest number on the sides of the card, the highest number wins. GFs have skills you can learn that give you new abilities related to cards. This is where I get excited, because basically at the start of the game, using the card game mechanics, you can become a god by creating some of the most powerful magics in the game (though it's better to wait until after the first mission (dollet) as you get new GFS with new abilities).

You can create lots of items as well, including screws.

There are also ways to get better cards right away at the start of the game. For example, I just started a new game and my hand for winning cards was 2 Shumi Tribes, Krysta, Quistis, and Ifrit. All available before leaving the starting area. You have to really screw up to lose with cards that good.

Last edited:

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sis we know they wouldn't do the best song and the ICONIC romance dirty like that. Queen Rinoa won't have it.

Really up to Faye Wong since she owns part of the song due to her being the singer. Their agreement ran out long ago, and unlike Melodies of Life from FF9 they can just simply rerecord the song with another vocalist (since they just own that song I believe) Its not a problem if they just port the game, but as a Remaster, they would need to sign a deal and pay Wong for it. Which I doubt will be much of an issue.

There's a reason you can't get Eyes on Me on spotify without going to Faye Wong's

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Really up to Faye Wong since she owns part of the song due to her being the singer. Their agreement ran out long ago. Its not a problem if they just port the game, but as a Remaster, they would need to sign a deal and pay Wong for it. Which I doubt will be much of an issue.

There's a reason you can't get Eyes on Me on spotify without going to Faye Wong's
Uematsu composed and wrote Eyes On Me so SE should have full rights to it and if Faye has an issue with her voice being used they can just replace her even if I would rather they don't. Either way it should be the original since the Steam version released in 2013 had it.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uematsu composed and wrote Eyes On Me so SE should have full rights to it and if Faye has an issue with her voice being used they can just replace her even if I would rather they don't. Either way it should be the original since the Steam version released in 2013 had it.

They do not have full rights. Faye Wong owns the performance of her vocals. SE can use the music itself whenever, but her performance is owned by her.

And as I said before, ports aren't required to change anything as the PC version of FF8 already existed

As a Remaster and new SKU, it is a different matter

Like I said thought. Its most likely a non issue. The reason why SE does not release the song anywhere outside the game is because they can not sell or just use the music for listening itself (which is why you can't find it on place SE uploads the FF8 soundtrack to). I do not think they will run into a scenario where they can not use it for the game

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
They do not have full rights. Faye Wong owns the performance of her vocals. SE can use the music itself whenever, but her performance is owned by her.

And as I said before, ports aren't required to change anything as the PC version of FF8 already existed

As a Remaster and new SKU, it is a different matter

Like I said thought. Its most likely a non issue. The reason why SE does not release the song anywhere outside the game is because they can not sell or just use the music for listening itself (which is why you can't find it on place SE uploads the FF8 soundtrack to). I do not think they will run into a scenario where they can not use it for the game
Yes which is what I said. If Faye has an issue they can use a different singer. The song and lyrics are completely owned by SE since they composed and wrote it before even hiring Faye as the singer. Faye having the rights to the vocals just means they can't use her voice but doesn't mean EOM is owned by her. We already know they have used Susan Calloway for Distant Worlds Concerts to sing it.

My opinion is that SE agreed to let Faye use it for her single releases and wants to encourage people to buy it. The only issue I have with this is the orchestrated version isn't available through Faye.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes which is what I said. If Faye has an issue they can use a different singer. The song and lyrics are completely owned by SE since they composed and wrote it before even hiring Faye as the singer. Faye having the rights to the vocals just means they can't use her voice but doesn't mean EOM is owned by her. We already know they have used Susan Calloway for Distant Worlds Concerts to sing it.

My opinion is that SE agreed to let Faye use it for her single releases and wants to encourage people to buy it. The only issue I have with this is the orchestrated version isn't available through Faye.

Yes but I assumed we were discussing the original Eyes on Me performance to begin with. Even if they got someone else, it would probably be vastly complained about that its no the original vocalist

Also its not SE agreed to let her use it. She has full rights to use that song whenever she wants. She doesn't have to ask them to release on any future albums or sing it at performances

Also. You would be surprised at what songs SE does not actually own. A lot of tracks from their PS1 days and before are owned by composers and even 3rd part media holders. Not specifically just FF. SquareSoft was notorious back in the day for this. FF7's lack of songs in Smash also is not JUST because SE is stingy

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but I assumed we were discussing the original Eyes on Me performance to begin with. Even if they got someone else, it would probably be vastly complained about that its no the original vocalist

Also its not SE agreed to let her use it. She has full rights to use that song whenever she wants. She doesn't have to ask them to release on any future albums or sing it at performances

Also. You would be surprised at what songs SE does not actually own. A lot of tracks from their PS1 days and before are owned by composers and even 3rd part media holders.
I would be curious to see how true that is because as far as I know if SE wrote and composed the song then they should have rights to the melody since all Faye did is lend vocals to the track. I would need to see what kind of licensing agreement was made between them in order for Faye to be able to use the song no issue yet also be able to stop SE from doing the same.

This doesn't even matter anyway since the PC port had EOM and they use it constantly at the concerts. Also the melody is still present in Waltz For The Moon and Julia so it would only come down to lyrics and vocals which again, the first should be owned by SE.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Really up to Faye Wong since she owns part of the song due to her being the singer. Their agreement ran out long ago, and unlike Melodies of Life from FF9 they can just simply rerecord the song with another vocalist (since they just own that song I believe) Its not a problem if they just port the game, but as a Remaster, they would need to sign a deal and pay Wong for it. Which I doubt will be much of an issue.

Didn't they just put out a vinyl of Eyes on Me with FFVIII branding on it a couple of years back? Faye has a higher net worth than Utada or RIKKI or Angela Aki (to mention singers whose songs are in other remasters), but it would surprise me if her performance was replaced. I'm not super attached to it, I just think it'd be surprising.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they just put out a vinyl of Eyes on Me with FFVIII branding on it a couple of years back? Faye has a higher net worth than Utada or RIKKI or Angela Aki (to mention singers whose songs are in other remasters), but it would surprise me if her performance was replaced. I'm not super attached to it, I just think it'd be surprising.

I do not know. The only thing I know is that Wong has rights to the performance itself, not the song. SE can have anyone cover the song. But if they use her performance, they have to pay her for it. It is why that performance is not on the original sound track for fF8 on spotify or anywhere else for download or listen from SE. You can however download it still on such, its just under Wong herself. it is why they mostly use covers and orchestrated versions. Releasing the PS1 version on PSN or releasing the PC version on stream are kind of loopholes in the matter

Again its not as a big deal as the wording sounds. I doubt SE will use Calloway's performance or anything instead regardless of the matter

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This game has always looked oddly alluring to me, but from afar I don't quite understand what kind of world or setup it has. Looks like the civilized areas have a modern flair but the countryside is fantasy? Bit like FFXV? What's the premise here?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
just a friendly reminder that the game has a very in-depth tutorial that goes ever nearly everything in the game
This game has always looked oddly alluring to me, but from afar I don't quite understand what kind of world or setup it has. Looks like the civilized areas have a modern flair but the countryside is fantasy? Bit like FFXV? What's the premise here?
without giving too much away: teenage soldiers fighting witches

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

I guess it's a bit like FFXV but probably less "modern" and more futuristic in general. But there are lots of simple places to visit that don't feel futuristic.

So really it's like final fantasy 7 but less dark.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm actually struggling to put FF8's world and art style into words, and that's a good thing to me. It's quite unique.

just a friendly reminder that the game has a very in-depth tutorial that goes ever nearly everything in the game
It does, people shouldn't skip them - as much as "don't hand hold me" is a big complaint on here - but I'm also pretty sure it doesn't mention that enemies scale with your level which is a huge thing that catches people out.

In case anyone doesn't know... you do not need to grind levels in this game. Avoiding combat is advisable even. You want AP for GF abilities, not EXP.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It does, people shouldn't skip them - as much as "don't hand hold me" is a big complaint on here - but I'm also pretty sure it doesn't mention that enemies scale with your level which is a huge thing that catches people out.

In case anyone doesn't know... you do not need to grind levels in this game. Avoiding combat is advisable even. You want AP for GF abilities, not EXP.
levels do make drawing certain spells easier to be fair, but they can also be manipulated with the Level Up ability so it's a moo point

and I think the tutorial at the very least hints at the leveling, but i'd have to double check that

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
FFVIII did the whole "fantasy based on reality" before XV ever did (and did it better, I would almost say). Game has a vibrant, colorful art direction that compliments its more youthful cast & tone in narrative. It's definitely a nice change after VI & VII went down dark and grungy industrial/neo-industrial for a lot of their aesthetics.

Also, trains. VII only had the one. VIII's world pretty much runs around trains.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Another question, how do you earn money in this game? I played this game in the past and the only way you could earn money was through seeds salary or something like that. It was very inconvinient

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Another question, how do you earn money in this game? I played this game in the past and the only way you could earn money was through seeds salary or something like that. It was very inconvinient
Gil isn't that necessary since you don't buy armour and weapons you remodel to upgrade so materials are more important than the fee charged by the shop.

SeeD salary is how you earn Gil and the higher your rank the more gil you receive. Your starting rank is determined by the score you received on your Field Exam. You can upgrade your rank by selecting TEST and answering all questions correctly. There is a total of 30. Your salary will be given based off distance travelled.

It's actually very easy to gain Gil. If you REALLY want other ways then just sell items. A trick you can use later is refining Tents and Cottages into Mega-Potions which you can then sell for a bunch of Gil.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The FF VIII world has such a fucking cool atmosphere. Really looking forward to getting to play it again.