• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I have a legitimate question before this game comes out:

So, I've never really played Triple Triad. My first couple of playthroughs I pretty much ignored it entirely bc I was very young and it was too confusing, and on my last play through, I think I played my first card game like halfway through Disc 1 but literally every single card game I'd play the NPC's would have way better cards than me. If I want to use TT on a regular basis to make myself more powerful, should I pretty much start playing it IMMEDIATELY on my next play through? Any tips/tricks?
There has been some good answers already but two things I wanted to note is that your first powerful card given early on is Ifrit and you should ALWAYS make sure to speak with the NPC on the second floor near the elevator when starting the game to receive a starter set of cards. You receive the Ifrit card when you beat Ifrit in the Fire Cavern.

Once that is all done you can start challenging NPCs with lower level cards and improve on your current deck. One such NPC is the kid running around garden who has the MiniMog card. The good thing is that there is a save point right near where he runs through so you can always reload if you happen to lose Ifrit and don't want to try getting the card back. Once you have improved on your current deck, you can challenge Zells mom to get his card. When you finally have that card you can try and get Seifer from Cid and Quistis from the Trepies all of which is available early on before leaving for Timber.

Oct 31, 2017
There has been some good answers already but two things I wanted to note is that your first powerful card given early on is Ifrit and you should ALWAYS make sure to speak with the NPC on the second floor near the elevator when starting the game to receive a starter set of cards. You receive the Ifrit card when you beat Ifrit in the Fire Cavern.

Once that is all done you can start challenging NPCs with lower level cards and improve on your current deck. One such NPC is the kid running around garden who has the MiniMog card. The good thing is that there is a save point right near where he runs through so you can always reload if you happen to lose Ifrit and don't want to try getting the card back. Once you have improved on your current deck, you can challenge Zells mom to get his card. When you finally have that card you can try and get Seifer from Cid and Quistis from the Trepies all of which is available early on before leaving for Timber.

Awesome!! Thanks guys :-)

They need to hurry up and release this :-)

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Agreed.

I've applied Reshade.

Before CRT and technicolor, with HDR and FXAA applied:

v8LW8eV.jpg

sGlLqV2.jpg

I2PXzSU.jpg

SzZfRBW.jpg

4XpUVBc.jpg

I'm amazed how sharp the FMVs look. Amazed.

With CRT, technicolor, HDR, and FXAA:

Vfk3Aln.jpg

2mwUF2S.jpg

Really impressed. I'm not big on digital crt filters but this really helps with blend the crudeness of some of the backgrounds.

If FFVIII Remastered mods get to this level we are going to dine in heaven my friend. Thanks!

Bro, how did you get it like this? And is this the one for steam or the original PSX?

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grind 20 elnoyle cards in the garden as well, its the hardest part of getting Lionheart on disc 1. I plan to do that in the remaster.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
So the banners on the Square Enix website have the VIII remaster on them however it's the only one where if you click it, it will link to a 404 error. They might be getting ready to put up the pre-order page for the game since all the other banners link to buying/pre-ordering.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any chance they add some option to adjust triple triad rules at will would be welcome. Once you go random it's a nightmare too go back.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
Any chance they add some option to adjust triple triad rules at will would be welcome. Once you go random it's a nightmare too go back.

As long as you never mix rules (Challenge the player, say 'no' when they ask if you want to play with a combination of rules, keep doing this until they stop asking to mix) you'll never spread rules you don't want to. The only time you have to play with Random is in space (to get Laguna's card), as all rules are active there.

To abolish rules you do have to mix - challenge, say yes, then quit at the actual game screen. This counts as playing a game without actually having to play with crap rules. If you're carrying a rule that the new region you're in doesn't have, there is a chance a rule will be abolished (or spread). Save scum until you abolish the rule you want :p (there are also ways to manipulate RNG to get the desired result first time but I've never done this myself)

By end game you can have Open as the only rule in all regions.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jan 11, 2018
I would gladly pay €30 for a physical copy, as long as it wasn't broken on disc. It'd break my heart if we actually did get a physical release and it comes with music bugs and other annoying glitches that need to be patched out. But a definitive remaster on disc? Yeah, I'll buy that for sure.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
That link is still broken on the SE website lol

Since it only says More Info I'm guessing they'll be updating the english website and then link to it. It would be nice if we got a price reveal.
That one sounds a bit FFXV-ish.

I'm a sucker for the Black Mages version myself, especially if you slow it down to 0.8x speed with good audio editing software.

By far my favourite take on this tune. So damn groovy! :D

I do like the Black Mages version and think all the VIII songs by them are fantastic but it's still very rock heavy so I can't find it the best since the original beat was more techno sounding and I loved that contrast to Don't Be Afraid. Same with Force Your Way which also had a more techno sound. Still great stuff though.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I've been listening to the soundtrack the past few days and I'm not sure I can hold out til the remaster.

'Compression of Time' is a really good, weird song.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Someone told me that both FF7 and FF8 are called "Remasters" under their respective EULAs on Steam.

So yeah... lolwut.
As pointed out to me much earlier in the thread, IX was referred to as a remaster in it's description however VII and IX were not labelled remasters but HD ports.

So they are both technically remasters but it's possible VIII is having more work done to it than both so it was classified on the same level as X/X-2 and XII Zodiac

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So the banners on the Square Enix website have the VIII remaster on them however it's the only one where if you click it, it will link to a 404 error. They might be getting ready to put up the pre-order page for the game since all the other banners link to buying/pre-ordering.

I really want a release date. I know its only been a few days but I've been waiting for this for years.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about the EULA. They're both called "REMASTER". So technically FF8 Remaster would be a scam lol.
I get that but the labeling might be important as indicating VIII has more changed or it's just like AP said earlier and it's them titling it for marketing purposes. Which is weird because they could have also just titled VII and IX that way too if marketing is the reason.

I don't think it would make VIII a scam. It would just mean they didn't label the previous two correctly.

Edit: Oh sorry now I get it. You're talking about the VIII pc port. Still that doesn't mean the labeling is a scam if the game is coming with a bunch of updates and we already know the PC version has shit music so if anything I would consider the PC port being labeled that way incorrect.

Jan 11, 2018
So are they gonna keep Eyes On Me?

I don't think the FF series has ever struggled with copyright issues in regards to music, mainly because most of it has been composed in-house. In the case of Eyes on Me, Nobuo Uematsu wrote the music and Kako Someya wrote the English lyrics. Worst case scenario is Square Enix Music somehow doesn't own the rights to Faye Wong's vocal recording, and they have to get someone else to sing it. But the song itself isn't at risk of being cut.

Angela Aki covered it, with slightly updated lyrics (being fluent in English, she got rid of the Engrish and Uematsu himself said she perfected the song - and I'd agree in the sense that it feels the closest to how you'd imagine Julia would have performed it in the game):

Crystal Kay sung it during the Distant Worlds Celenration concert:

Personally, I'm still rooting for a studio recording with Susan Calloway. It wasn't on Distant World V, so maybe the next volume then? This is absolutely breathtaking, in my humble opinion:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
eyes on me is so crucial to FF8. Oh man, I can't wait for this to be released to revisit it.

Tried to play it on some other console - i think a PS release but the graphics were so bad, I couldnt do it.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I would love if Susan Calloway did an updated Eyes On Me. I still love Faye's version since it's the classic one but Susan works so well on the orchestrated version with how powerful her voice is. She would be a fantastic upgrade for the ending.

Faye works best with the Ragnarok version since it's slower.

Jan 11, 2018
I would love if Susan Calloway did an updated Eyes On Me. I still love Faye's version since it's the classic one but Susan works so well on the orchestrated version with how powerful her voice is. She would be a fantastic upgrade for the ending.

Faye works best with the Ragnarok version since it's slower.

Best take.

The original will of course always have nostalgic value, and it's not a bad version of the song at all. But the way Susan sings it is mesmerising, I think. I'm so happy she's become the resident Distant Worlds vocalist. Lovely voice and a lovely woman.

I love Angela Aki's voice too, but I think her version is a bit too fast. It would have benefited from an arrangement more similar to Sakura iro.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah hearing those samples really solidifies how much I don't like Aki's voice on the original tracks. Piano versions are fine.

Calloway remains the best. Such an amazing voice.
Best take.

The original will of course always have nostalgic value, and it's not a bad version of the song at all. But the way Susan sings it is mesmerising, I think. I'm so happy she's become the resident Distant Worlds vocalist. Lovely voice and a lovely woman.

I love Angela Aki's voice too, but I think her version is a bit too fast. It would have benefited from an arrangement more similar to Sakura iro.
Yeah agreed though with Aki I don't really like her on either of the original tracks. She sounds better on piano versions where I find it suits her voice better.