• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
dJ78CRu.png

Looks like Digitial only. Too bad because I want a physical release lol

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
the backgrounds seem unchanged as expected.

just relaized all the summons are going to have new models, it's very exciting actually. this is the FF with the coolest summons.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I made a weird realization watching the stream when FFVIII's remaster's trailer was playing. I was kinda hyped about getting to replay FFVIII. I've never really had the same reaction to FFVII & FFIX's remasters/re-releases trailers when they were announced but with FFVIII I was getting kinda excited as I was watching the trailer. Does this mean FFVIII is somehow subconsciously my favorite PS1 FF? :D

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I played FFVII and FFIX for the first time this year thanks to the Switch release and absolutely loved them both. Can't wait for FFVIII. When do people think this will release?

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Great news! I'm gonna have such an AWESOME FF collection on my Switch. Now just need them to start going backwards so I can get the old ones too. I have all the GBA/DS versions etc but I want them on Switch. :P

The only thing missing is physical releases. :( I would love to have 7, 8, 9 etc on cart. Especially VII.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
wasn't sure if this even deserved to be called a "Remaster", but seeing the side by side comparison shots, wow thats a big difference!

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Thank the gaming gods that square is moving away from that archaic combat style. Hopefully magic system such more deeper than ff14's.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which is fine because by giving us a unity version we'll do the backgrounds ourselves.

:)

Three things we can not fix in the current pc port :

- summon animations skip

- analog support

- character models

This version is gonna fix all 3 while coming with its own share of updates and improvements and we just have to mod the backgrounds (that are already being worked on).

Backgrounds won't be much of an issue for the handled Switch mode !

Ps4 and xbox is gonna be rough like the other ports. Pc gonna be fire though.
wait, the remaster is running on Unity? This is confirmed?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
wait, the remaster is running on Unity? This is confirmed?

It looks extremely similar to their other recent remasters, down to the features they added and what they updated. Not to mention a simultaneous release on all platforms. Almost guaranteed.

We're also gonna need a font replacement mod :) .

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
dJ78CRu.png

Looks like Digitial only. Too bad because I want a physical release lol
Noooooooooooooooooo! I knew in my heart this would be the case, sigh. It's ok, we have the original case for the PS1 version and can just pretend lol Just include it with what's backward compatible on the PS5, Sony! I'm sure they'll make all these FF remasters backwards compatible.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who says they can't see a difference between this and the ps1 release is blind, lying, or has the worst case of nostalgia goggles of all time. Looks great, can't wait to get it for Switch.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Looks good, depending on the price I might bite, only have played through on a level 7 (or 8) run.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
FFVIII is one of the worst games in the series! I can't wait to replay it! (no sarcasm)
Pretty much my feelings. I'm glad that they seem to be putting a lot of effort in with the models and environments.

Granted what with the source code lost they didn't have much of a choice, but it's good that they are putting in the effort.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get over how good it looks.

Yeah, it's shockingly good. The models look so clean and with a lot more detail. This is what my mind's eye remembers the PS1 game looking like when it came out.

Here's hoping the backgrounds and FMV's get some nice AI-enhanced scaling.

Also, Square, please .. no more music loop bugs.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm impressed. It's the first time Square has updated their character faces for a game without completely ruining it. Well done.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played FF8 in years, not since my ps3 broke, but finally I can do it again! 😭
8 is just behind 7 as my favorite FF so it's a damn good time right now.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ok cool they have faces now but do they move? On the stillshots they look like creepy dolls. Can't watch the video yet though