• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

(best soundtrack ever)

latest

my boy, Squall Leonhart
rinoa_port.jpg

GlisteningRequiredCornsnake-small.gif

Rinoa Heartilly, prettiest girl in the franchise

Together they become the best couple in videogame history

v9pQSf2.png

2EAAg.jpg

The game is amazing but not only because the cute couple

1enrof.gif

it has Zell Dincht

3nyr.gif

Irvine Kinneas

S6AA2JA.gif

Selphie Tilmitt

4Yh6.gif

and Quistis Trepe

So, I was reading the fan made wiki and I was overwhelmed by the amount of side content, unique dialogue and other stuff. I want to play again, but doing everything the game has to offer.
So, what is the best platform to play it again?
Is there a detailed guide to getting everything in the game?

Last edited:

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
The best platform to play it on is Android or iOS via Triple Triad. That's it.

A day after the RE6 repost thread, and we have something even worse. FFVIII as the best FF game is a rough take.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
There's no one single "best" version. The PS1 version (which you can play via PSN on some consoles) is a "better" version in so far that it works as intended. The PC version is busted in some ways, but it has the Chocobo pocketstation mini game built into it and it has the cheat toggles.

There are absolutely plenty of guides out there, including two decades worth of stuff on gamefaqs.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

A day after the RE6 repost thread, and we have something even worse. FFVIII as the best FF game is a rough take.[/QUOTE]

Its my personal favorite, I'd say even by a long shot. Doesn't mean it's technically the best but its in my top 5 games of all time.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Final Fantasy VIII is not only the best Final Fantasy game but it is the best game of all time (atleast for me).

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This guide was excellent the last time I replayed a couple years ago:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/faqs/72431
Thanks !
I hope you like Triple Triad.
Fuck ! I did not remember this
A day after the RE6 repost thread, and we have something even worse.
I hate RE6
There's no one single "best" version. The PS1 version (which you can play via PSN on some consoles) is a "better" version in so far that it works as intended. The PC version is busted in some ways, but it has the Chocobo pocketstation mini game built into it and it has the cheat toggles.

There are absolutely plenty of guides out there, including two decades worth of stuff on gamefaqs.
OK, ps1 it is.
Saying Final Fantasy VIII is the best in the series is straight up factual.
Final Fantasy VIII is not only the best Final Fantasy game but it is the best game of all time (atleast for me).
You two are right, I need to ask a mod to change the title

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

A day after the RE6 repost thread, and we have something even worse. FFVIII as the best FF game is a rough take.
"Screw these people for having a different opinion." Nobody's supposed to think for themselves, right?

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
You do not need any advice, my friend. You have already seen the light and accepted VIII as the best FF. Well done.

For game versions, there's no huge differences but if you can nab the PS1 version that's still the superior one. PC is perfectly playable, but some of the music is a bit borked. And with the OST being as legendary as it is, it's a shame to play the version with the music being worse.

In regards to guides, the one I use has already been posted above by Linkura. I'll link it a second time. Shouldn't need anything else but that. Has a comprehensive list of all the side-content with guides for each. Enjoy!

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Beyond the hyperbole, it has a memorable cast that is really relatable to its target audience, some of the franchise's best setpieces, the franchise's best minigame (with accompanying sidequest), and a ton of freedom to customize your party but enough safety nets to keep you from getting screwed in the long run.

I think it's a busted mess, but goddamn I myself have a lot of nostalgia for the good parts.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
PS: If anyone finds a lengthly Playthrough / Lets Play of FFVIII from a person with a pleasant voice and clearing all of the game (100%) pleas share it with me.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Hey, I was about to start my own playthrough. I've never gotten past the second SeeD Garden in the game so it will mostly be my first time. I have the Official guide so was wondering if the one that's been linked provides anything more?

Thanks and sorry if I'm hijacking your thread OP.

Oct 25, 2017

What is it about FF8 that people really don't like?

Personally, I really dislike FF9, but everyone loves that one! Don't really get that one either, other than different opinions.

Edit: yeah, see that poster above me?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has a modder gotten that AI to upres the backgrounds for FF8 yet?

The stuff for 7 looked mighty impressive

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
My first experience with it was when I was eleven. I was all time hype with the final fantasy franchise after ff7. I played it and the visual upgrade was amazing. Kept playing and playing and my mindset was still rosetinted with the franchise. Kept playing untill I woke up at some point realising I was playing an absolutely terrible game. I got the final part and I just quit saying to myself, what a shitty game.

Then ff9 came out and all was well again

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It's a mechanical mess, some of the story beats are aggressively silly, and, the middle of the game has some huge stretches of being (somewhat intentionally) aimless. Again, I like the game (though I wouldn't rate it highly in the series) but I can see why people would hate it as much as others love it.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
8 is absolutely fantastic but it needs to be played with booze and a comfortable chair fora 3 day binge.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Hard agree with the OP.

Really, the PS1 FF trilogy is so damn high quality.

It is the biggest achievement in human history what Squaresoft has done in the PS1 era releasing Final Fantasy VII,VIII,IX within 3 1/2 years. No idea how they managed to pull off bringing out FFVIII 2 years after FFVII and FFXI 1 1/2 years after FFVIII

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
PS: If anyone finds a lengthly Playthrough / Lets Play of FFVIII from a person with a pleasant voice and clearing all of the game (100%) pleas share it with me.

I recommend HCBailly's LPs. He may be a slight acquired taste, but he's awesome, and has a large RPG LP catalog (all 100%s). Here's his 130-episode FFVIII series:

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It is the biggest achievement in human history what Squaresoft has done in the PS1 era releasing Final Fantasy VII,VIII,IX within 3 1/2 years. No idea how they managed to pull off bringing out FFVIII 2 years after FFVII and FFXI 1 1/2 years after FFVIII

Also keep in mind they released Xenogears in the middle of that. PS1-era Square was too strong.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Not to detail this. But if you're interested in a little FF8 fan service you might want to keep an eye on FF14's next set of 8 man raiding content titled 'Eden' (Which is likely be the final boss). Tetsuya Nomura is a guest designer and is helping out with some things on there.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there is no arguing with that OP so I will post a great scene in FH.

As for what to replay on I actually would recommend the PC version provided you download the music mod. If you're in the mood for portable and have a Vita or PSP then go for PS classic otherwise PC version has an easy fix and some wonderful additions. You will get the boosters if you want to use them, speed up option and chocobo world.
I'm too slow :P

Hey, I was about to start my own playthrough. I've never gotten past the second SeeD Garden in the game so it will mostly be my first time. I have the Official guide so was wondering if the one that's been linked provides anything more?

Thanks and sorry if I'm hijacking your thread OP.
If you would like you can post questions in the Anniversary thread while you play through VIII. I and many others will be happy to answer them and try to help give an idea of how to approach the game if that is something you would prefer.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The only advice I can give someone asking about ff8 is play literally any other ff game (minus 2) as they're all much better.

Oct 28, 2017
There's currently a 20th anniversary thread for this very game this could probably be discussed in OP.

Even though I'm with you. It's my favorite ff ever next to X.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
The only advice I can give someone asking about ff8 is play literally any other ff game (minus 2) as they're all much better.

I know, right?
Whenever FF8 comes up in a conversation I start pulling up the internal, amorphous ranking in my head and I have a tough time putting 8 ahead of anything else. I may personally like 8 more than 9 maybe? But all of 4-7, 10, and 12 are solidly superior in my mind.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019

Outside of what's already been mentioned I've seen VIII's cast get a lot of flak. For example, Squall has always been a very divisive character and it's a character type that's easy to be cynical about when you get older.

I've also seen a lot of criticism of specific plot beats, like the revelations about the Guardian Forces later on.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017

Personally, I really dislike FF9, but everyone loves that one! Don't really get that one either, other than different opinions.

Edit: yeah, see that poster above me?

Adding to what's been said: Allot of plot beats I don't like. The drill prison the cast finds themselves in after disc 1 is... stupid, as are finding keycards and whatnot to a missile silo in random vehicles by the prison immediately afterwards. A super-advanced culture somehow hidden right next to all of the other countries on a different continent in another otherwise globalized society didn't gel with me either.

Designing the world to so closely resemble the modern world is a mistake: It draws attention too much to questions as to how a society with hyper-powerful magic would develop in that way. I stopped for a second to think, "Well maybe it's the more realistic character models," because I don't feel FF7 suffers from the same problem, but then I also realized that the Yakuza series also has a ton of crazy shit that should otherwise clash with the serious tone and realized that the actual problem is that FF8's story is just shit so it can't hold these disparate elements together in suspension so the mind is just left to wander about.

I'm also not sure I like a single character in the lot (and this all ties together with the story being shit - what am I supposed to pay attention to? The nice art and music assets, I guess). Maybe Quistis. The rest of the gaggle are hyperactive or stupid, to varying degrees.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing VII in the Switch, and I'm kinda pining for a version of VIII on there now too. I didn't appreciate the game as much when it came out, but played through it on the Vita a few years ago and really fell in love with the Draw system.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing VII in the Switch, and I'm kinda pining for a version of VIII on there now too. I didn't appreciate the game as much when it came out, but played through it on the Vita a few years ago and really fell in love with the Draw system.
viii is unlikely, they havent yet released for cellphone and ps4 too. there's a discussion about the sourcecode etc

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
It really is a fantastic game, I'm really glad the pendulum is finally swinging favor back towards the game. I hadn't seen anything with an atmosphere like it at the time. Crono Cross too.

Status
Not open for further replies.