• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
the body temperature game wasn't too bad it's the snowboarding especially the section with all the pine trees and the area where you had to time the run/jump through the barrier where I was starting to rage plus those horrible maps that seem to repeat when you take a wrong turn.

EDIT

hmm feel like it's time to make a golden chocobo
I've beaten this game over 10 times. On PS1, PC, PSP, PSVita, PS4, and Switch. I've 100% cleared the game. I've speedrun the game. I've played the game with difficulty mods on PC. I've played this game so much I can see it in my dreams.

And yet I still cannot do the snowboarding without crashing at least 3 or 4 times. It's the god damn hardest thing in the entire game!

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Just got this on tha Switch.

I honestly have struggled replaying this game since the HD TV era. It looked OK on a CRT, but it just looks like shite on an HD TV. I also have a PC hooked up, but no amount of post-processing or machine-learning fundamentally changes the fact that this does not scale well to a large HD screen.

Cue the Switch version. I think it is much more tolerable on a smaller screen. The blur filter on the background is so-so, but at least gets rid of the box-esque artifacts of the raw 2D images.

Overall, it seems pretty good.

Sucks about the music bug, but honestly, I will "no-encounter" this with beefed stats just to re-experience this game without having to spend too much time.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
so much easier this time but I can recall the colours on the original release more pronounced?!

hmm guess I didn't take baby pictures of the river one...
KVOg1PC.png

pU2wTja.png

glNAph7.png

RQHWpEi.png

golden one
ZOvxecY.gif

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I just beat it after about 30 hours

Cloud was too busy being a frog in the last fight, so Tifa finished Sephy off with a suplex.

Last edited:

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
Finally made it to disk two. Taking a short detour abuse that stats boost cheat and 3x speed to build up some passive income off trickplay enemies. Gotta save up for chocobo breeding and item buying lol.
D3wfaNEV4AAnJjV.jpg:large

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever that FF7 remake comes out i really hope they deliver on the scene with aerith's mother talking about her, thr camera cuts are just perfect especially when you unintentionally make it flow with the music, it also reminds me of some cutscenes in OoT where there were some really cinematic scenes with the camera that makes it especially good for these old systems

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
They somehow managed to make the german localisation worse. In a real stupid way. I don't care about the bad grammar, but the change of the names of items and attacks (iconic stuff like Omnischlag/Omnislash to Schwertwirbel/Swordwhirl) hurts.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Lol that bug won't be fixed. Look how long they have had to fix it elsewhere.

As amazing a game as this is, this was a cheap port cash grab.

It's still amazing. I recently finished it, killing all the weapons and levelling to 99. Didn't get all the characters ultimates though, and didn't get the crazy 999999999999999 gil chevo either.

But the game is STILL a master piece, and just shows even more how stupid an idea what they are doing with the remake is.

IMO.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
They somehow managed to make the german localisation worse. In a real stupid way. I don't care about the bad grammar, but the change of the names of items and attacks (iconic stuff like Omnischlag/Omnislash to Schwertwirbel/Swordwhirl) hurts.

I was wondering when exactly the item and attack names had been changed. Were they for the PS4 and mobile port? I had trouble with it, too. Names weren't matching German walkthroughs at all.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
Whenever that FF7 remake comes out i really hope they deliver on the scene with aerith's mother talking about her, thr camera cuts are just perfect especially when you unintentionally make it flow with the music, it also reminds me of some cutscenes in OoT where there were some really cinematic scenes with the camera that makes it especially good for these old systems
I got to this scene last night. It's amazing how much emotion they conveyed with very little. Just text and some soothing, reflective melodic music. That scene is from a game over 20 years old, with exaggerated character models and no voice acting and it still moved me over 10 years since i've seen it last.

Maybe it's also because i was a teenager the last time since i played it and had so much to experience and learn about the world, 10 years later i'm a parent and some of the themes of the game resonate with me even more.

Some of these cut scenes went over my head when i was younger but in that time since i last played this game, I've experienced love, heartbreak, loss, learned about governmental corruption, International crisis's, Terrorism and their motives and ideals, Global Warming and the environment...

When you have these experiences and knowledge, you have a bit of context, a bit of a reference point for the themes of the game and they strike a chord so well, better than most modern games with a AAA budget and production quality. Compare this to FFXV where i couldn't give the slightest crap about anything in the game or the characters because it was so in-cohesive, This game is a masterpiece.

It's a timeless classic.

Nov 23, 2017
I've beaten this game over 10 times. On PS1, PC, PSP, PSVita, PS4, and Switch. I've 100% cleared the game. I've speedrun the game. I've played the game with difficulty mods on PC. I've played this game so much I can see it in my dreams.

And yet I still cannot do the snowboarding without crashing at least 3 or 4 times. It's the god damn hardest thing in the entire game!
Oh yeah, same experience here. Beat it a million times on different platforms and still suck at the snowboarding game. The mini game sucked even back in 97 though.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
I'm playing FFVII for my first time.
I have to find Aeris in the Sleeping Forest. Game is great despite the part after Nibelheim flashback annoyed me a little until Barret's past section.

Jan 20, 2019
When you have these experiences and knowledge, you have a bit of context, a bit of a reference point for the themes of the game and they strike a chord so well, better than most modern games with a AAA budget and production quality. Compare this to FFXV where i couldn't give the slightest crap about anything in the game or the characters because it was so in-cohesive, This game is a masterpiece.

I haven't played any of the post-X Final Fantasy games, so my perspective on them is based on what I can glean from others. I wonder if one of the reasons that things have changed regarding story/emotional involvement in the newer games is because of the technological advances in graphics and large development teams and budgets that are available today. Earlier games had a lot of limitations in terms of what could be expressed visually, leaving text, music, and most importantly the player's imagination to fill in the gaps that were present, where as more recent games do not require this so much? I can only imagine that for a lot of us, there is a lens of nostalgia that we view VII through, but even still I have to wonder if the game were made for the first time today (as FFXVI, for example) if it would hold the same magic still.

Nov 4, 2017
I haven't played any of the post-X Final Fantasy games, so my perspective on them is based on what I can glean from others. I wonder if one of the reasons that things have changed regarding story/emotional involvement in the newer games is because of the technological advances in graphics and large development teams and budgets that are available today. Earlier games had a lot of limitations in terms of what could be expressed visually, leaving text, music, and most importantly the player's imagination to fill in the gaps that were present, where as more recent games do not require this so much? I can only imagine that for a lot of us, there is a lens of nostalgia that we view VII through, but even still I have to wonder if the game were made for the first time today (as FFXVI, for example) if it would hold the same magic still.
That's exactly what it is. A large emphasis on gaming nowadays is there's this standard, a pressure if you will for a game to look stunning, hyper realistic and state of the art and you can't help but feel this is what the devs prioritize their resources and budgets on above mechanics, good gameplay and story telling, and in Square Enix's case, what royally stalls their development of new projects such as Vs XV & ironically FFVIIR in particular. How many cases of game sthis gen have we had where games aren't even fully completed on release? MGS V? FFXV and even FFVII-R isn't going to be a complete package. Look at the fidelity of this game, Yeah it looks great but it gets to the point where i don't care about how realistic or detailed everything is. It's become so standardized we expect it and take it for granted that it doesn't impress me anymore.

Maybe i speak for the minority of people but i think we need these less demanding looking games with substance that have surreal looks to them. Where do we go in 10 years time, Game's that look so realistic they become indistinguishable from the real thing, from reality? I don't know if that's a good thing, i kind of think games should still be a distraction, a form of escapism and we should be able to enjoy these games, especially older games with unique art direction and visuals with out the context of the pressures of trying to look state of the art and that you can just take them as they come.

Also, People need to get over this idea that just because something looks dated or old on the surface doesn't mean it's not worth the effort to play it. Do we refuse to listen to classic music or older films, just because they're old? Just like many retro-games out there, when a movie or a song is brilliant and is considered a classic - when it's indeed that good - they become timeless.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
T___T I think out of some 15 encounters with master Tonberries I've only managed to get this to work once. Farming for Ribbons seems futile.
Even with Yuffie in the party no dice >.<. At least I can steal elixirs from them.

EDIT; and those knife attacks...

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Wow that Usenet thing is amazing.

Is there a thread that catalogues moments in gaming history like that? Absolutely fascinating.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
T___T I think out of some 15 encounters with master Tonberries I've only managed to get this to work once. Farming for Ribbons seems futile.
Even with Yuffie in the party no dice >.<. At least I can steal elixirs from them.

EDIT; and those knife attacks...

It shouldnt be too difficult if youre using Yuffie's Conformer. Make sure Cloud (or someone else) can hit for 9999 on physical attacks (Hero Drinks and no magic materia help considerably), then use 4x cut for 39,996 damage, then just use morph with Yuffie, since Conformer negates the morph damage debuff, she should easily get it.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I was wondering when exactly the item and attack names had been changed. Were they for the PS4 and mobile port? I had trouble with it, too. Names weren't matching German walkthroughs at all.
It was already in the original PS1 release. There was also an error with the Cover materia in the description. All garbaled.
Yeah, some were bad back then, but like crazillo said, there were changes made after the Ps1 version, at least in the german localisation most of them for the worse and I really dont see any sense in changing iconic names like the Omnislash to something completely different.

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really want to play this game and IX but haven't because of the music bug. Music is really important to me.

Is the bug really that bad?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I really want to play this game and IX but haven't because of the music bug. Music is really important to me.

It's a shame but doesn't get the game unplayable.
You only hear the first seconds of the music on the field, which is dumb. It starts at the begining after each fights.

The overworld music is long and has a lot movements so it's frustrating to only hear the first measures.

Deleted member 20433

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame but doesn't get the game unplayable.
You only hear the first seconds of the music on the field, which is dumb. It starts at the begining after each fights.

The overworld music is long and has a lot movements so it's frustrating to only hear the first measures.
This is so frustrating, I really want to play this game but I guess I'll just have to wait until it'll be fixed (yeah right) or just play the remake.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
This is so frustrating, I really want to play this game but I guess I'll just have to wait until it'll be fixed (yeah right) or just play the remake.

The game flies by pretty fast and afterwards you will mostly be hearing the; Chocobo, Highwind and the great north cave theme music while on the map

EDIT

It shouldnt be too difficult if youre using Yuffie's Conformer. Make sure Cloud (or someone else) can hit for 9999 on physical attacks (Hero Drinks and no magic materia help considerably), then use 4x cut for 39,996 damage, then just use morph with Yuffie, since Conformer negates the morph damage debuff, she should easily get it.

My issue using the Conformer is that there is no growth for Materia but I think I found a way that suits me. Cloud is in his mid 80's and so I equip a weapon that does around 40+ damage and that leaves just enough for a Omnislash and Beta enemy skill. Sense just seems to have no effect on it.

Just after making this vid I managed to max out Time Materia so it's easy to stop Tonberry in it's track.

Last edited:

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
The Ultimania Archive does say that Cait Sith speaks with an "odd accent". Maybe it's something that comes across better in Japanese? Because the English localisation never gave any hints towards this sort of thing at all.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
geez I was wondering WTH is with the Materia management in this game and how to sort it but it's somewhat hidden >__>'

flyover

Oct 26, 2017

It is to me. I don't want to skip battles or rush through the game. So, I won't play either of these ports. I'm not saying it's my absolute favorite piece of music in a game (though it's up there), but VII's overworld theme was the most important piece of music in a game, to me.

I totally understand why the bug doesn't bother everyone, which is fine! But it's a dealbreaker for me.

And even if it doesn't bother you, it's ridiculous that SE hasn't patched it—or even acknowledged it.

Deleted member 20433

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is to me. I don't want to skip battles or rush through the game. So, I won't play either of these ports. I'm not saying it's my absolute favorite piece of music in a game (though it's up there), but VII's overworld theme was the most important piece of music in a game, to me.

I totally understand why the bug doesn't bother everyone, which is fine! But it's a dealbreaker for me.

And even if it doesn't bother you, it's ridiculous that SE hasn't patched it—or even acknowledged it.

This is probably exactly how I'd feel. Music is super important to me. Well well, I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that I have to wait to play this game and FFIX. I held of buying it on PS4 because of the bug and was super excited when it was announced for Switch.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
I'd buy FFVII on XB1 if it had Xbox Play Anywhere support like FFIX, strange that one hasn't when the other one has... 🤔

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reeve didn't have an accent for his 1 spoken line in AC

I imagine a hilarious scenario where he's in his office putting on a fake Scottish accent while he yells into a microphone lol

To this day I still don't know how Cait works. Does he operate independently or is it literally Reeve speaking through him?

I've always assumed it's both. Dirge seems to cement this.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
To this day I still don't know how Cait works. Does he operate independently or is it literally Reeve speaking through him?

I've always assumed it's both. Dirge seems to cement this.
I always assumed Cait was autonomous but Reeve could take control when needed. Mainly due to the fact that
when Cait sacrifices himself for the black materia, he has a whole "I'm at peace, dont forget me" moment. Seems a bit weird to have that in there if it was a straight up robot being fully controlled by Reeve

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
just 2 more.. the bromance one I don't mind replaying the early bits again but that motorcycle game :/

vgEAnSs.jpg

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finally on track to beat this game for the first time in my life. My previous play throughs were complete failures. First, third grade me was just a complete dumbass, because I never caught on to the hints the game was dropping that I needed a chocobo to get past the swamp snake outside of Midgar. But I had a couple high school aged play throughs that were also failures from poor materia management and not using enough backup saves. The farthest I got was being trapped in the temple of the ancients and not being able to beat the door boss.

But this play through has been a breeze. The system I have setup is to have one healer character who sits on the back row with ribbon, restore all, revive all, and a bunch of hp plus and mp plus materia. Then, for boss battles, I barely ever attack with that character. I keep passing on that player's turn so I can heal the other two characters as soon as possible to keep their health above 75% all the time.

It's not an optimal system, but it feels good to finally feel like I'm beating this game. It's been hanging over my head for so long.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finally on track to beat this game for the first time in my life. My previous play throughs were complete failures. First, third grade me was just a complete dumbass, because I never caught on to the hints the game was dropping that I needed a chocobo to get past the swamp snake outside of Midgar. But I had a couple high school aged play throughs that were also failures from poor materia management and not using enough backup saves. The farthest I got was being trapped in the temple of the ancients and not being able to beat the door boss.

But this play through has been a breeze. The system I have setup is to have one healer character who sits on the back row with ribbon, restore all, revive all, and a bunch of hp plus and mp plus materia. Then, for boss battles, I barely ever attack with that character. I keep passing on that player's turn so I can heal the other two characters as soon as possible to keep their health above 75% all the time.

It's not an optimal system, but it feels good to finally feel like I'm beating this game. It's been hanging over my head for so long.

While I haven't had that feeling with this game, I have had that feeling with other games, and I know what it feels like to finally beat such a game after years of it hanging over you.

You can do it!