• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
Does this version have the fast forward and cheats (basically) that FF9 has? I don't have much time for a jrpg now but I don't mind breezing through it haha.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
The name was Aeris when I played back in the day on my old PS2.

And I also played FF6 like five or so years later and the name was Terra, not Tina.

I don't think I'm pretentious, I just miss my Teenager days.

Also, downloading now, because I'll support FF on my Nintendo console.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Omg, those Usenet posts are amazing

Ugh, Square must have fools for all of their high ranking personell.
The U64 has already killed the Saturn (I've only heard that Sega has
stopped supporting it until they run out of games, dont ask for
details, I dont know any more that that.), and the Playstation is
next. Even if the U64 is delayed until August, it will be the only
thing people are going to bother to play. The only system that made me
excited because of the screen shots in EGM. Half of the gaming public
has pledged their cash to Nintendo already. Lets do it, either boycott
Square by not buying a Playstation and getting "Phynal Phantasy 7", or
bitch to Square directly! [email protected]! At least we have another 4
months of joy to come out of them... Maybe it would be better to bitch
at Square of Japan, because they're the fools.
Eggnog

In memory of Eggnog

I'll be buying this port on Xbox. Finally I can play nearly squares full library on the system.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
The FF fanbase is so incredible sometimes

Right back at ya. I enjoy IX, parts of X, and XII after the update a lot. I've played every mainline game and I spent a lot of time with XI, which was OK. Still haven't touched XIV. If you think three games since VII being good to very good is the definition of a consistent series, fine. But don't go pretending it's an isolated opinion that the series has been headed generally downhill for a good decade now. XV is quite possibly the worst Final Fantasy game ever made.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Daaamn you should feel proud of this photo as is the coolest thing a 90s kid could portray. Playing FF7 on the PS1, plus a poster of Dragon Ball Z. Awesome!
Trust me I am. Blessed times :)
Also spotted the OG GameBoy on that shelve, probably loaded with Link's Awakening.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
and here we go...

MDJAwCw.png

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The atmosphere in Midgar is fantastic. It's visually really interesting and unique

This game's atmosphere is still off the charts even 20+ years later. It's one of the most atmospheric video games ever. It completely nails that.

The great thing is that atmosphere is pretty there right from the get go ... you don't need to play for like 10-15 hours before you realize "oh yeah, the atmosphere is really good".

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm playing through this for the very first time and it's of course been great so far.
I do however have a question for when... the inevitable happens.

Will I lose equipment and materia that's on Aeris when she... uh, leaves the party for good?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the Xbox / Switch version is 4 gigs like the PS4 version when a lot of that was the inclusion of a HD version of the Remake reveal trailer.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
So I'm playing through this for the very first time and it's of course been great so far.
I do however have a question for when... the inevitable happens.

Will I lose equipment and materia that's on Aeris when she... uh, leaves the party for good?
Spoiler tagging the most spoiled game event in history. How cute LOL.
I remember magazines putting screens of Aerith's death almost frame by frame in their reviews.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit last might and then a bit more on my lunch break both docked and undocked and I have to say, compared to playing it on my PC it just looks and feels good playing it on my switch, maybe it's the novelty of this being on a nintendo console, maybe I'm just more comfortable playing this on a console, regardless, I can feel like I can lose myself playing it this time

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Okay. I have a serious problem. This is the fourth time I've bought FF7. Originally on psx. Then PC. Then for ps3/psp/vita. Now switch. And after an hour I can say that this is the first time not on percoset I'm enjoying the fuck out of this game? Is it that its finally on nintendo hardware or because I'm taking a shit and playing the game? I don't know but I will now fully acknowledge my nintendo fanboysim and say I really think its the "irony" that FF7 is finally on a Nintendo console and it feels good. Feels so good.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still baffled by people who are adamant that her name is Aeris. Even more baffled when the defense is that somehow Aerith sounds "pretentious." Like Aeris is basically pronounced like heiress (unless I'm wrong on how to pronounce it), that ain't pretentious?
I don't think it sounds pretentious, more like someone is saying it with a bad lisp. It sounds bad, and saying it that way feels wrong in my mouth

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man I don't want to just drop in and shit on the port, but the bugs sound like game breakers for me. I can't stand that music glitch....but damn, I played through this game on my iPad, it's my most replayed FF....but that fucking music glitch....ugghhh

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
FFVII (non-GH) and OoT are the two games I'll keep with me my whole life. I really should get this on the Switch and see if I can't convince my wife to play through it with me.

Someone posted a map in that other thread about cut content...and god damn it brought back memories. That first time leaving Midgar and realizing the world was completely different (I was young and went in blind). I still remember being blown away by the pre-rendered backgrounds, the story, the scope. Definitely one of the greats.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Imagine if Square's legacy catalog got the M2 quality treatment. Just imagine that.

Also, gaping mouth Sephiroth is unfortunate and inappropriately hilarious.

I've been seriously spoiled by that Phantasy Star SEGA AGES port. I can't accept anything less than that for retro RPGs brought to Switch. At the very least I just wish weirdo bugs that didn't exist in the PS1 original were fixed.

Also OMG look how Jessie floats up the ladder at 16:40 of this video: https://youtu.be/jebbuyCGsxk?t=1000

Now compare that to the PS1 original at 14:39: https://youtu.be/BOUMiEbkZUM?t=879

Last edited:

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
For all new players: do your best to get as many Enemy Skills as possible. They help *immensely* as the game goes on.

Also dont worry about trying to get Beta immediately, but do try to get it before Junon.

Also don't believe what any haters might say, Yuffie is amazing.
reposting now that people have their hands on the game

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going insane here... how do I bring up the Materia exchange option on Switch?

Edit: finally figured it out. *slaps forehead*

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There was some weird glitchy thing when the bridge collapsed during Cloud's flashback.

I haven't noticed the Sephiroth mouth thing yet, but I'm keeping my eyes on him.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been seriously spoiled by that Phantasy Star SEGA AGES port. I can't accept anything less than that for retro RPGs brought to Switch. At the very least I just wish weirdo bugs that didn't exist in the PS1 original were fixed.

Also OMG look how Jessie floats up the ladder at 16:40 of this video: https://youtu.be/jebbuyCGsxk?t=1000

Now compare that to the PS1 original at 14:39: https://youtu.be/BOUMiEbkZUM?t=879
Did they play this after they ported the game and just thought "Eh.. good enough" ? This makes me sad..

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I'm very impressed by how crisp the game looks. It's way sharper than the FFIX port and has no loading issues.

If they could just tweak a few minor bugs and the music thing, that would be great. Floating Jesse is just weird.

Deleted member 34881

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Is this port better than the ff9 port for switch? I have this on steam already and I don't mind buying it again for the portability.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Square never taking the time to fix their legacy ports it seems.

I just don't get putting such a half assed effort into such great legacy titles.

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
Checked this out on a friend's Switch and compared it with the PS4 version (on my Pro). The Switch version looks to me like it's running in 720p or 900p while docked; it looks softer than the game running on PS4 (though it's clearly the exact same port). I'm curious to see if Digital Foundry does their thing.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
How does this game hold up for people who haven't played it before? (Well, I played about 30 minutes of it on Vita)

I want something to play on Switch. I'm trying to decide if I should give it a go, but I'm having trouble finding impressions that aren't overly skewed by their nostalgia goggles. Am I going to ruin it by using the cheats? I'm not looking to spend 60 hours grinding in a JRPG.

$16 is pretty steep for a PS1 game that is frequently under $5 on other platforms. I'm also considering Wargroove, Hollow Knight, or Dead Cells, so it's up against some strong competition.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Square never taking the time to fix their legacy ports it seems.

I just don't get putting such a half assed effort into such great legacy titles.
I mean, the unfortunate truth is that they don't have to. This port is already in the eShop Top 5, so they've "gotten away with it" once again. Why invest even a dollar into a fix if not enough people care and it doesn't significantly impact sales?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does this game hold up for people who haven't played it before? (Well, I played about 30 minutes of it on Vita)

I want something to play on Switch. I'm trying to decide if I should give it a go, but I'm having trouble finding impressions that aren't overly skewed by their nostalgia goggles. Am I going to ruin it by using the cheats? I'm not looking to spend 60 hours grinding in a JRPG.

$16 is pretty steep for a PS1 game that is frequently under $5 on other platforms. I'm also considering Wargroove, Hollow Knight, or Dead Cells, so it's up against some strong competition.

If you've never played it before all the way through ... I mean you might as well get FF7. The poly models will naturally feel quite dated, but I think once you adjust to that, the soundtrack/atmosphere of the game is still magical.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the unfortunate truth is that they don't have to. This port is already in the eShop Top 5, so they've "gotten away with it" once again. Why invest even a dollar into a fix if not enough people care and it doesn't significantly impact sales?

It's actually no.1 now on the US eShop, lol, but that was to be expected. FFIX was no.1 so no way was VII not getting there.